News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-21-2007, 11:04 AM   #181
country flag Krikry

Krikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News & Articles - Yeti Premonitions

From his site

Quote:
20 October 2007

Dear Fans

A lot of things have happened lately and with the season finishing early for Marat after some difficult times, we would like to share Marat's thoughts and vision for the upcoming year with his fans. And also to give our response to an insulting article recently published on a well known site which some of you have seen and commented on.

Marat has decided with Madrid to end his season mainly because of the following facts.
First of all to give a complete rest to his wrist. It is still niggling and he does not want to further aggravate it at this stage because he does not want to go into next year with the niggle and does not want the wrist to bother him next year.
Secondly he felt with all that has happened in the last year, it would be wiser to start his "off" time earlier than usual and also to be able to start his preparation much earlier to ensure than he is of maximum fitness for challenging 2008.

As we wrote in the article before he truly feels that the Davis Cup team has four players better than him and his absence will not be felt that much as there are the people willing and able to take Russia successfully through the final.

For this reason he made his decision and will stick to it. He will be supporting the team in spirit and willing them on.

Recently an article was published on the Internet by the editor of tennis.com under his "Viewpoint" which was trying to put a smear on Marat's situation plus making recommendations re things he should do for the future.This "article" was written by someone who pretends to be a fan of Marat Safin.

Neither Marat nor his website has ever in the past made a point of commenting on things that appear in the media because throughout his career Marat has always maintained a great relationship with all channels of the media - be it written, TV or radio - always been available when asked for interviews etc, respected their work and treated them with dignity.

Now for the first time an article is written on a "respected" website and this article was full of hate - really patronizing and vicious in its comments and aimed at hurting Marat, his reputation, his past contribution and achievements in the field of tennis.

Marat himself was very insulted by this article that was brought to his attention for the very reasons stated above.

To try and attempt to under estimate Marat's past achievements in tennis and for his country and to try and present him as someone who doesn't respect the game of tennis or what tennis has done for him, is totally misleading and a deliberate attempt at muck raking.

Marat loves the game of tennis (the reason why he came back to play this year even though he had decided after the US Open to write the rest of the season off). On every occasion during interviews he has always said how much tennis has done for him and how grateful he is for the life it has given him. To imply that he doesn't care is a total misrepresentation. There aren't too many players around the world today that can proudly present two Grand Slam Titles, Five Masters Series Titles and Two Davis Cup Titles for his country.

One of the reasons why Marat's popularity has always exceeded his ranking was not only because of his cheerful smile (and he really does have one!!) but also his kindness, honesty and most of all his sensitivity which all make up the personality which so many people want around on the tour these days.

We his team, friends and fans have all been insulted by the inferences made by the writer in his "Viewpoint". As the editor - what right does he have to make such damming innuendos about Marat? And to say he should give up and go play poker (special dédicace à JM ) is such that the man who "wrote" this has no idea as to the actual man Marat Safin is.

We are all open to criticism and opposition from others but not when it comes in a wrong and unjustified manner.

Many fans of Marat have expressed their disgust at the manner of the writing of this article and while certain points are the truth - the innuendos made are not.

Marat is the first to be aware of his situation, his obligation to tennis and the challenges still lying ahead of him. If he wasn't committed to tennis he wouldn't be even thinking of them. He looks forward that together with hard work and your (the fans) support, 2008 will be a successful year for him. More than once in his career - mainly after his injuries - there were people who slated him and said he should retire. But Marat has no need to prove anything to anyone and as it happens he enjoys and is committed to the sport of tennis he loves.

He will do his utmost to bring a smile back to the faces of his fans once again. And lets all keep holding on to that thought that the man who has brought us so much joy will do so again.

As so many people keep pointing out - tennis needs him and one insincere "fan" is not going to stop Marat's commitment to bring joy to those who love tennis.

Marat would like to say once again to his fans with deep sincerity -

"Thank you for all your support and for being there for me during this time."

Webby and his team

PLEASE NOTE: These are Marat's thoughts which have been relayed to me NOT my personal thoughts.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea" Eric Cantona
Krikry is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #182
country flag luxsword

luxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond repute

Some good points made... I just hope this won't backfire on Marat, as the tone is a little aggressive...

(Romeo and Juliet, II.ii)
Comic relief >>> http://english.bouletcorp.com/
luxsword is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:36 PM   #183
country flag luxsword

luxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond repute

found this here :
Quote:
October 19th, 2007 by Sean Randall

Safin Ends Season, Will Skip Davis Cup Final Against U.S.

Turns out Marat Safin and I do have something in common: Neither one of us will be in attendance in Portland when the US meets Russia in the upcoming Davis cup finale. For me, visiting Portland in December is just not my cup of tea. For Safin, he says the Davis cup final is not in his future plans after spending the early part of this month traversing one of the largest mountains in the world.

In a statement on his official website, maratsafin.com, reads, “Marat was not very happy with his standard of play at the Madrid Masters and has decided after discussion with his coach Hernan Gumy and his management that it would be better to finish his 2007 season now. His mountain adventure which he thoroughly enjoyed, took him out of his rhythm and also left him with no energy. He thought he was ready coming back in Moscow but found that the stress of playing back to back tournaments was too much and his body just was not ready to cope with it. He thought he could play at a good level but it didn’t happen.”

Safin’s absence will be a big loss not just for the Russian team, but also for tennis fans in this country. I’m a big Safin guy, and I know I’m not the only one here in the US that supports the big Russian. I mean how can you not like the guy? He speaks his mind, he breaks rackets, he wins a Slam every now and then, he pulls his pants down, he likes to throw down a few vodkas, he climbs mountains, and of course he likes to roll a with some pretty fine looking women. He is one of the true characters in tennis today. I would imagine that if you polled fans on which player they’d most like to have a drink at the bar with, Safin’s going to be that guy.

And the Marat’s done just about everything there is to do in the sport, but sure you could argue that for all his accomplishment and talent he has underachieved. For a variety of reasons, perhaps due to injury or malaise, Safin has not won a title on the ATP circuit since his incredible 2005 Australian Open title run, and his two career Slam wins might not meet the expectations initially set for him after his US Open win. But I think to some extent Safin may be a victim of his own interests.

For guys like Pete Sampras, Roger Federer, Ivan Lendl and others, getting to the top of the tennis world only drove them harder to stay on top. They liked the grind of being No. 1. On the other hand, I think when Safin got to the top he actually took a look around and smelled the roses. He enjoyed what it offered him. And I think he just knew to maintain that position would take away from his other interests in life – like getting to the top of a mountain! Obviously injuries set him back otherwise he’d surely have some more hardware in his trophy case. But if he had truly committed to tennis 100% who knows…

Another player like Safin who I think suffers from general tennis disinterest at times is David Nalbandian, who today absolutely destroyed World No. 2 Rafael Nadal at the Tennis Masters in Madrid. Nalbandian, who’s been MIA for most of the year, lost just three games in the match in his first meeting against Rafa. Nalbandian is a great player, an incredible talent, but dropping that kind of scoreline on Rafa in his backyard tells me Nadal had to be under some sort of physical distress. But credit to David for taking care of business.

With Nadal out, Roger Federer has a pretty clear a path to the Madrid title, with Feliciano Lopez today and then either Fernando Gonzalez or Nick Kiefer in the semi’s. If Novak Djokovic can stay healthy and beat Nalbandian in the semifinals tomorrow it would set up a tasty rematch against Fed on Sunday.

Back to the Russia-US Davis cup tie. With Safin now out of the lineup (for the moment at least) it will be interesting to see who Russia selects on their team. I think it’s pretty clear that Dmitry Tursunov will be on the squad but who’ll also be selected to play singles is the question. Obviously Nikolay Davydenko is the top ranked Russian, but the Nickel has never beaten either Andy Roddick and James Blake. That said, Russia could select Ivor Andreev who’s proven himself against Roddick and Blake or even Mikhail Youzhny. My early guess is that they will go with Andreev and hope for the best.

This entry was posted on Friday, October 19th, 2007 at 3:04 pm
and there's this nice piece amongst the comments (as an answer to an offensive one) :
Quote:
grendel Says:
Safin a spoiled brat? That’s just risible. He’s one of the very few players who is absolutely open and honest. You know when you read his interviews that he is speaking the truth - there is absolutely no looking over his shoulder to whoever might be listening. He seeks to impress nobody, and care nothing for the opinions of others. He is candid about his own shortcomings, and funny about them too. Eurosport filmed him shortly before his magnificent comeback, after a long spell away due to injury, in Australia (he beat Roddick and Agassi and ran out of gas against Fed in the final). He was being questioned about his training and general conditioning, and admitted he found it tough. “Nobody likes work,” he said disarmingly. Rings kind of true, doesn’t it, for most of us. Asked recently about Davydenko and the betting imbroglio, he said he knew nothing about it and cared less. He had his own problems and had enough trouble dealing with them. None of the prurient glee of the fulminating moralist, no pompous sermonising - and above all, no pleasure in gossip. This is a man without humbug.

Of course, he is a serious underachiever - how could he not be, as the only talent comparable to Federer’s over the last twenty years. Of course it is a puzzle, although big men like him are prone to injury and perhaps not a lot could have been done about that. Still, there is something else. I have always seen Safin as a sort of Russian Hamlet - a man gifted with a simple love of life and yet also tortured by indecision. There seems to be huge self-doubt in his makeup. Macenroe’s old doubles partener Peter Fleming put his finger on it, I suspect, when he says that some players who are happy at the #15 mark become thoroughly alarmed if they get to, say, #5. And so on. Safin had all the attributes of a great # 1, except self-belief. At some unconscious level, he wanted nothing to do with those rareified heights. Felt uncomfortable there, as if he didn’t belong. Thus Fleming, and I buy his theory.

People like Nadal and Djokovic are natural, fierce competitors with no fear of being #1. Too early to say, but I suspect Murray belongs there too. But Gasquet who, like Safin, has more talent than any of them, will never get there. He’s the French Hamlet. Malisse, too. Then you have players like Nalbandian and Lopez, certainly players with the raw ability to be in the top 5 or 6. Something stops them, not agonising in their case, hard to say what.

But Safin, Safin. When he was singing, he was a force of nature, glorious to behold. His tenure was brief - but whilst it lasted, there was nothing like it. Who can be so foolish, so blind as to mock him?

Posted October 20th, 2007 at 3:41 pm

(Romeo and Juliet, II.ii)
Comic relief >>> http://english.bouletcorp.com/

Last edited by luxsword : 10-21-2007 at 12:43 PM.
luxsword is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #184
country flag yarina

yarina has a reputation beyond reputeyarina has a reputation beyond reputeyarina has a reputation beyond reputeyarina has a reputation beyond reputeyarina has a reputation beyond reputeyarina has a reputation beyond reputeyarina has a reputation beyond reputeyarina has a reputation beyond reputeyarina has a reputation beyond reputeyarina has a reputation beyond reputeyarina has a reputation beyond repute

I actually like the comment more than the article I am fed up with these journalists writing the same b*****t about marat all the time: it's exactly the same thing written hundreds of times now, and they get paid for it! but i guess that's part of the package of being a public figure: you'll have people feeling entitled to have a say on your private life, on what you should have done or shouldn't have done etc...and since they are not very creative, they just repeat the same stuff all the time!
yarina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:06 PM   #185
country flag doopdeela

doopdeela has a reputation beyond reputedoopdeela has a reputation beyond reputedoopdeela has a reputation beyond reputedoopdeela has a reputation beyond reputedoopdeela has a reputation beyond reputedoopdeela has a reputation beyond reputedoopdeela has a reputation beyond reputedoopdeela has a reputation beyond reputedoopdeela has a reputation beyond reputedoopdeela has a reputation beyond reputedoopdeela has a reputation beyond repute

dunno if this has been posted yet:

http://tennis.com/features/general/f...aspx?id=107260
doopdeela is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #186
country flag Mrs. Fabregas

Location: back into my "normal +work mode" and me don't like :(
Mrs. Fabregas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Fabregas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Fabregas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Fabregas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Fabregas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Fabregas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Fabregas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Fabregas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Fabregas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Fabregas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Fabregas has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even know why i'm opening that page and actually read it!!!!
Mrs. Fabregas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:48 AM   #187
country flag Curls

Curls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond repute

... unfortunately, some of his points are valid, but there's having an opinion and then there's being downright insulting and rubbing salt into the wound ... Marat should strap this guy to the net and whack him with a few of those 'clean, heavy balls' that this moron loves so much

I need to stop now ... reading that got me all

==========================================

Don't cry because it's over ...
be happy because it happened.

Curls is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:53 AM   #188
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's been posted in GM. Do NOT go there if you're kinda sensitive.

And you can read about Marat's reaction to it here:

http://www.maratsafin.com/content.ph...7989839ca3c711

Quote:
Neither Marat nor his website has ever in the past made a point of commenting on things that appear in the media because throughout his career Marat has always maintained a great relationship with all channels of the media - be it written, TV or radio - always been available when asked for interviews etc, respected their work and treated them with dignity.

Now for the first time an article is written on a "respected" website and this article was full of hate - really patronizing and vicious in its comments and aimed at hurting Marat, his reputation, his past contribution and achievements in the field of tennis.

Marat himself was very insulted by this article that was brought to his attention for the very reasons stated above.
Our sensitive baby!

But I really do NOT like this:
Quote:
First of all to give a complete rest to his wrist. It is still niggling and he does not want to further aggravate it at this stage because he does not want to go into next year with the niggle and does not want the wrist to bother him next year.
WILL this go away just with the rest? Or is there smth more serious? Another operation would effectively mean the end of his tennis career.
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #189
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV View Post
Our sensitive baby!
rather his sensitive management that took care to "bring the article to his attention" and arranged that idiotic reply on the site
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #190
country flag Mrs Tommy Haas

Mrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond repute

I know I write a lot of bs in here but this time I'm pretty serious.
I think Marat needs to change management.
There's an incredible amount of incompetence going on there.
I recently read an interview with Amit Noar about the gambling and I found his points moot and his arguments shallow. The webmaster is an hysterical fan of Marat, honour to her efforts, but she's not objective or reasonable.
Mrs Tommy Haas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #191
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
rather his sensitive management that took care to "bring the article to his attention" and arranged that idiotic reply on the site
OK when it comes to Marat you KNOW I'm (over)sensitive too, I just HAVE to answer and retaliate even every ! Sowwy.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #192
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV View Post
OK when it comes to Marat you KNOW I'm (over)sensitive too, I just HAVE to answer and retaliate even every ! Sowwy.
Mashenka, I'm oversensitive myself
Old 10-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #193
country flag Armada~121

Armada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
I think it's quite obvious that Marat doesn't care about his website or his own PR even. But seriously, that reply on his website seemed even more "insulting" to Marat than the tennis.com article to me.

The article was harsh, but damn, his management and the webby could have just stayed cool and taken the high road. Of course there would be people out there making harsh comments, but to respond in such sentimental manner is not just childish, but totally unnecessary. In my opinion, that defensive comment on GM by grendel still comes off much better argued than what's posted on his website.

The way this "official" statement was written is just so embarrassing and highly unprofessional. His management could have just clarified more on his changing decisions in the past few weeks, explaining things in details from his part in objective manner and just end it like that. But this statement went on and on to excuse Marat, citing his greatness in the past, and, dear lord, his "cheerful smile" as a major contribution to the tennis world. It's one thing to defend him as a fan, but it's completely another to defend him as a professional. To counter-attack the writer of that article for having too much "hatred" is just an utterly immature argument. And in general this statement sounds way too much like a sensitive fan post than anything worthy of the word "official".

You know what this response reminded me of? Imagine if Roger's management team put the same tone of response on his website to Wilander's "no-balls" comments last year, accusing Wilander for having personal hatred for Roger and insists that Roger really indeed has balls because he has won 10 slams and a lot other achievements. Then you can get the picture of how ridiculous this whole thing sounds.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #194
country flag MariaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armada~121 View Post
You know what this response reminded me of? Imagine if Roger's management team put the same tone of response on his website to Wilander's "no-balls" comments last year, accusing Wilander for having personal hatred for Roger and insists that Roger really indeed has balls because he has won 10 slams and a lot other achievements. Then you can get the picture of how ridiculous this whole thing sounds.

Btw if we're b**ing about the management here, Gerard trying to 'fix' the water pipe leak last night during the final (rather calling to someone frantically) was truly embarassing.
And Manolo Santana didn't look as well as he did in summer.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #195
country flag mer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armada~121 View Post
I think it's quite obvious that Marat doesn't care about his website or his own PR even. But seriously, that reply on his website seemed even more "insulting" to Marat than the tennis.com article to me.