2009 Clay season - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #31
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 Clay season

There's a reason why you've never heard of it, it's just an exhibition with a pompous name!
But maybe it will be different this year since ATP points are awarded now. The other good thing is that there is a good coverage of the event, there should even be livestreams of all the courts on tennislive.tv this year (but the website seems to be down right now, I hope it's just temporary).
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #32
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krn81 View Post
It is probably to be outside France the week before Roland Garros. They have lot of pressure, every one waits a player to replace yannick noah, and it gives to them some pressure. I remember that I rode an article where gillou was explaining this pressure, even they put themselves some additional one. Being there and having fun is probably the best solution.
I hadn't even thought of that, maybe that's the reason indeed. But Gilles' exposure isn't that big that he has to run away from the French media, frankly. Jo's is, but he's used to it imo and I don't think the pressure issue is that much of a problem for him.

I actually don't think it is for Gilles either. Last year there was that article in Tennis Magazine about him in RG (it's at the beginning of the "Articles and Interviews thread) and the article was stressing a lot how cool he is before a match, on the contrary. During the matches is another story, he tends to get tight in RG, he says he has never played well there, even when he was young, he's had some of his worst defeats in RG (the press conference after the Hernandez match in 2006 was a heartbreak, he was so brutally honest about it). He always says it is his favourite event, though. The RG topic is not easy.

I really hope he'll be asked in interviews why he's going to play this event the week before RG which obviously is a major goal for him this year (focus on Slams + the surface where he feels stronger).
Gaudio is the only player I remember who has ever mentioned the WTC as a good preparation for RG - but Gaudio is special.

The 2006 press conference I was talking about: http://gilles-simon.over-blog.com/article-19114675.html

Last edited by Truc : 04-04-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #33
country flag Brownie

Brownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
There's a reason why you've never heard of it, it's just an exhibition with a pompous name!
But maybe it will be different this year since ATP points are awarded now. The other good thing is that there is a good coverage of the event, there should even be livestreams of all the courts on tennislive.tv this year (but the website seems to be down right now, I hope it's just temporary).
Haha, ok. That makes me feel better Is there are tennislive.tv, or are you talking about tennistv.com?

Brownie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #34
country flag lamnathalie

lamnathalie has a reputation beyond reputelamnathalie has a reputation beyond reputelamnathalie has a reputation beyond reputelamnathalie has a reputation beyond reputelamnathalie has a reputation beyond reputelamnathalie has a reputation beyond reputelamnathalie has a reputation beyond reputelamnathalie has a reputation beyond reputelamnathalie has a reputation beyond reputelamnathalie has a reputation beyond reputelamnathalie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so thrilled that the clay season is coming. Thanks for opening this thread just at the right time. Gotta say the hardcourt season for Gillou this year has not been good, but hopefully clay can bring some good moments to him! Bonne chance et allez, Gillou!
lamnathalie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #35
country flag Truc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Is there are tennislive.tv, or are you talking about tennistv.com?
I meant www.tennislive.tv, but why is the site down out of the blue? It is (or it was :-/) available everywhere and good quality livestreams. They have only Challengers, FedCup matches, Bundesliga matches, that kind of stuff, but they also were supposed to have some German events like Düsseldorf.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #36
country flag Brownie

Brownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I meant www.tennislive.tv, but why is the site down out of the blue? It is (or it was :-/) available everywhere and good quality livestreams. They have only Challengers, FedCup matches, Bundesliga matches, that kind of stuff, but they also were supposed to have some German events like Düsseldorf.
That's a shame it disappeared

Brownie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 AM   #37
country flag isabelle86

isabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_is_onUSA View Post
Historically, I haven't been much of a clay fan. That's probably because my historical favorite, Stefan Edberg, wasn't all that good on clay.

Of course, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to favor two players who's best surface tends to be clay. Hmmn. They're both fabulous on hardcourts too though. I'll try to think more positively about clay, but I'll probably always be a fast-paced hardcourt lover.
Edberg was also my first idol and the player who made me love the sport, Stefan Edberg sportsmanship award among other things, I was very upset when he lost the final in 1989 to Chang in Roland Garros. Chang had the touranment of his life.
Try to think Gilles can do very well in the clay season, he can do very well at RG, it's his main goal this season.
tell me how many players do you think are dangerous and can beat Gilles?
probably no more than 10.
isabelle86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:48 AM   #38
country flag isabelle86

isabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
there was an excellent coverage last season,
livestream at channelsurfing, atdhe and bet365.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #39
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

I could see the appeal in Edberg but I loved Jarryd more God I'm old!

I'm starting to be a bit Stan-Smitten myself (cheers Ali!) I was surprised to hear his only title is on clay, like Gillou he seems to be a natural on a hardcourt! I prefer the faster game too but I think I'm going to enjoy this year's clay season!

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #40
country flag isabelle86

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_is_onUSA View Post
I remember that match vividly. That was a tough final for Edberg to lose. However, I was a Chang fan at the time too. I appreciate what an inspiration Chang was to other players.

I'm not banking on anyone to be able to beat Gillou at RG this year. But Nadal is always a threat. So, you're right. No more than 10.
Chang was the idol of Gilles when he was a kid. He says it was an inspiration to watch him because Chang was also very small and Gilles was only 1m53cms at age 14.
the tournament of Chang was unique, 20 years later, I am still waiting to see a player like him winning like a junior, I think he is the youngest champion ever at RG. The underserve against Lendl in the semis is classic stuff.
the problem for Gilles is that after what happened in Madrid, Nadal is the boss and all the spaniards are a family, they feel it was an insult to the boss Nadal, so I can tell you they all want to play against Gilles on clay to have revenge of Madrid and as you know the Spaniards are competitive and know how to rally 5 hours on clay, Nadal, Ferrer, Verdasco, Almagro, Robredo. the whole davis cup squad wants to play Gilles on clay, go figure sadly how popular is Gilles here.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #41
country flag isabelle86

I started to follow Wawrinka because as a junior he was very the talk in Radio Roland Garros, he was popular since day 1 and very skinny. He had a horrible end of 2008 but I am happy to see he has comeback and he is playing very well. I think he is more mature and knows how to handle the key points. He celebrated birthday last week winning his match vs Seppi. Alwas a fan of Stan since he turned pro. He stood tall in the davis cup tie vs USA and make me very happy.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #42
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic #1
Jarryd was not too bad in singles too, he reached the #5 spot in 1985 or 86 (ohhhh I'm so old...) and he NEARLY beat Boris Becker in an epic rain plagued Wimbledon SF, the first year Becker won it. He was lightning fast round the court and a very intelligent player, my first ever true favourite
Who says no one ever remembers the runners up?

Off topic #2
I'm just d/l Stan and Fed's F and SF matches from the Olympics, really looking forward to watching them He's a nice player to watch, I'm just raiding the Stan forum for pics just now

Back on topic again hopefully
One of my fave Gillou pics to get us in the mood for clay

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #43
country flag krn81

krn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond repute

Isabelle, I did not know that all the spanish davis cup wanted to play Gillou in Madrid and beat him. Definitely, I would love to have the same than last years, a semi between him and Nadal (with of course the same result).
From historic point of view, I am fan of matches on clay, but this year looks to be special. There are lot of good players and for some of them we dont know how they will play on clay. I am thinking to Verdasco, to Murray for instance and what will be the reaction of Federer, how will deal Gilles on clay, his confidence looks to be back and his status changed from last year. Will Monfils play as good as last year? All these questions get a nice introduction to the clay season and give also more interested than last years. I am not sure the final of RG will be again Nadal-Federer this year. I am doubting about Federer, for Nadal, almost no doubt, even without a knie, he will be able to win.
Anyway to beat Nadal on clay will be an exploit, specially if it happens in Monte Carlo, Madrid or RG.
krn81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #44
country flag isabelle86

Quote:
Originally Posted by krn81 View Post
Isabelle, I did not know that all the spanish davis cup wanted to play Gillou in Madrid and beat him. Definitely, I would love to have the same than last years, a semi between him and Nadal (with of course the same result).
From historic point of view, I am fan of matches on clay, but this year looks to be special. There are lot of good players and for some of them we dont know how they will play on clay. I am thinking to Verdasco, to Murray for instance and what will be the reaction of Federer, how will deal Gilles on clay, his confidence looks to be back and his status changed from last year. Will Monfils play as good as last year? All these questions get a nice introduction to the clay season and give also more interested than last years. I am not sure the final of RG will be again Nadal-Federer this year. I am doubting about Federer, for Nadal, almost no doubt, even without a knie, he will be able to win.
Anyway to beat Nadal on clay will be an exploit, specially if it happens in Monte Carlo, Madrid or RG.
Hi Carine! all the Armada wants revenge against Gilles in all the clay events after what happened to boss Nadal in Madrid last year. Simon is among the three enemies of the armada, the others are Del Potro and Djokovic.
Imho the final of RG could be Djokovic vs Nadal, and the match in Hamburg last season was very close, but RG is best of 5 sets.
Murray was schooled by Almagro at RG, he needs all the help of Corretja to try to win a lot on clay.
Monfils is interesting, he seems he handle well the pressure last year but I watched him in Acapulco and he din not play well.
Tsonga, in the worst scheduling decision of the season got injured in Casablanca and did not play the european slams, I belive he can be next gs champion if he is on his A game but sometimes he is not focused and lacks consistency.
Verdasco like Lopez is more a harcourt player than a clay court specialist but he is dangerous floater.
Federer will only play in Rome and Madrid and Nadal will play too much before RG, Montecarlo, Roma, Barcelona, Madrid, he can be tired at RG.

Gilles, I always keep my expectations low with him to not feel depressed if he loses early but I have good feelings, I think it's all about if he manages to handle the pressure in the key moments of the matches. What do you expect of our Gilles?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #45
country flag krn81

krn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Isabelle,
Well it is difficult to answer today, this clay season looks to be important but I have no idea how it will turn. Monte Carlo will already give some indications. For sure, Nadal will win at least one or 2 tournaments, I will bet on RG and Monte Carlo. The one where lot of others players have a good chance to win is Rome. I think Gillou will play good there and will go far in the draw.
After for the final of RG I was not thinking to Djoko, I think we can have a surprise, a Frenchy (I can still dream) or another one.
I dont think Tsonga will be good on clay, he will just try to get points but the three others french will have probably better results.
I was closed to go to Madrid this year but I decide myself too late, but for sure, next years I will try to see a big tournament on clay. We are realy lucky that all of them are in Europe.
krn81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote