Forum Moderator Needed - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you think that Mens Clay Court should become a moderator?

Yes 18 40.91%
No 26 59.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #31
country flag 10K Futures Qualifier
Athletic DNA

10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forum Moderator Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee View Post
Thanks Jess, that's it exactly.

Greg, if you honestly care about this forum and the players represented here then get involved first. Becoming a mod is a reward for work done and respect earned, it is not something that you show up and demand out of the blue. That's kind of like showing up on your first day at work as the McDonalds french fry cook and demanding to be the manager.
Okay, I see where you are coming from. But, if I do a ton of work, and really get this area going, what happens if people like Deb come in and say we don't need one. I don't want to do a ton of work, and then when I ask to become one, people say there is no need for one.
10K Futures Qualifier is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2009, 02:00 AM   #32
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Well if there's no need for one, there's no need for one. Being a moderator can't be your only motivation for this because then there is still a large possibility you leave disappointed still.

You need to be doing this for the right reasons... which would be for making the forum more active and more fun, which is what you want, not because of any personal gain.

Not every forum has a moderator, not every forum needs one. Put in the work for making a great forum because you want to enjoy it. If the absolute only reason you would do it is to become a moderator some day, honestly, you're not doing it for the right reasons, so don't even bother

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #33
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Greg, I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of a moderator. A moderator does not make a place busy or fun or good. a moderator fixes problems the andy forum didn't have a moderator for a long time. When I first joined MTF there were maybe only a handful of people who even posted there, but as MTF grew and Andy got more hated on MTF, we started having trolling problems, spam, people coming in and saying mean stuff. THAT's when we got a mod. I think you are romanticizing being a moderator as if it's something it's not. It's not fun. It's actually really annoying most of the time. I like being a mod of the Andy forum b/c I feel like I can protect us in there and try to keep the forum a fun and friendly place, but I'd rather not have to deal with the crap that sometimes comes up. It's not fun to warn people, especially when it's people you generally like. It's not fun to delete people's posts and merge their threads and ask them to be nice.

If you were to do whatever you have in mind to get the Team USA forum more active, and then if some time down the road, it got so busy to the point where people were causing trouble, then I would absolutely say, OK now it is time for a moderator. But an awful lot has to happen before then. If you do a ton of work, but this part of the forum still stays drama-free and whatnot, then there will never be a need for a moderator here. And a few merging of threads or stickies here and there is not enough to need a moderator, because the supermods are more than happy to do those kinds of things for us.

My advice to you would be to stop putting your energy into becoming a mod and put it into whatever work you have in mind here. If you truly care about making the Team USA forum a busy place, then seeing its success should be the only thing you need. Perhaps now that you understand what mods actually do a bit more, you will see it's maybe not what you thought at all.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-28-2009, 02:53 AM   #34
country flag 10K Futures Qualifier
Athletic DNA

10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute

Thank for the advice. I will do that.
10K Futures Qualifier is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #35
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the Andy forum blows up.

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #36
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Well Greg, I hope you get this place going!

JBlock Forever
Old 03-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #37
country flag Carlita
Bite me.....

Carlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mens Clay Court View Post
Okay, I see where you are coming from. But, if I do a ton of work, and really get this area going, what happens if people like Deb come in and say we don't need one. I don't want to do a ton of work, and then when I ask to become one, people say there is no need for one.
Basically, if the forum is not a "problem" area, there is no need for a moderator. People here want threads merged, stickied (is that a word? ) or whatever, they can ask one of the moderators shown at the bottom of the place, it's what we're here for. And for now there really is no need for a Team USA mod. No need to fix something if it ain't broke
Carlita is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #38
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
Wow, that's a very nice thing to say.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 03-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #39
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
When the character of a man is not clear to you, look at his friends.
- Japanese proverb.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #40
country flag Ozone

Look at Roddick's fiance!! Ugliest swimsuit model there is

JBlock Forever
Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #41
country flag Deboogle!.

How in the world is that relevant to greg becoming a mod of the Team USA section OR your comment about hoping the Roddick forum "blows up" - now you're just being antagonistic for fun. It's boring.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #42
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
Greg, I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of a moderator. A moderator does not make a place busy or fun or good. a moderator fixes problems the andy forum didn't have a moderator for a long time. When I first joined MTF there were maybe only a handful of people who even posted there, but as MTF grew and Andy got more hated on MTF, we started having trolling problems, spam, people coming in and saying mean stuff. THAT's when we got a mod. I think you are romanticizing being a moderator as if it's something it's not. It's not fun. It's actually really annoying most of the time. I like being a mod of the Andy forum b/c I feel like I can protect us in there and try to keep the forum a fun and friendly place, but I'd rather not have to deal with the crap that sometimes comes up. It's not fun to warn people, especially when it's people you generally like. It's not fun to delete people's posts and merge their threads and ask them to be nice.

If you were to do whatever you have in mind to get the Team USA forum more active, and then if some time down the road, it got so busy to the point where people were causing trouble, then I would absolutely say, OK now it is time for a moderator. But an awful lot has to happen before then. If you do a ton of work, but this part of the forum still stays drama-free and whatnot, then there will never be a need for a moderator here. And a few merging of threads or stickies here and there is not enough to need a moderator, because the supermods are more than happy to do those kinds of things for us.

My advice to you would be to stop putting your energy into becoming a mod and put it into whatever work you have in mind here. If you truly care about making the Team USA forum a busy place, then seeing its success should be the only thing you need. Perhaps now that you understand what mods actually do a bit more, you will see it's maybe not what you thought at all.
I can verify how hungry you were to get the moderator job. When the forum first voted not to have a moderator you were extremely chagrined to put it mildly, and then excluded the people who didn't want a moderator from voting for a moderator the second time around because you thought they might not vote for you. Oh, true, you didn't do that yourself. You had Tangy do it for you the explanation being that the long time members of the forum who didn't saw no reason for a moderator had no interest in who was moderator. Now, it appears from what you say that you are "acting moderator" for the USA forum and make sure things are running smoothly there. The ironic thing is that you are now making the argument I made a few years ago: The forum doesn't need a moderator.

I doubt that the USA forum needs a moderator. But I think that's true of most of the forums. It wasn't as if the Roddick forum was running amok before there was a moderator either.
star is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #43
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
I can verify how hungry you were to get the moderator job. When the forum first voted not to have a moderator you were extremely chagrined to put it mildly, and then excluded the people who didn't want a moderator from voting for a moderator the second time around because you thought they might not vote for you. Oh, true, you didn't do that yourself. You had Tangy do it for you the explanation being that the long time members of the forum who didn't saw no reason for a moderator had no interest in who was moderator. Now, it appears from what you say that you are "acting moderator" for the USA forum and make sure things are running smoothly there. The ironic thing is that you are now making the argument I made a few years ago: The forum doesn't need a moderator.
I know you don't like me, but you don't need to make up completely ridiculous untruths about things that happened years ago. You even admit that you're just assuming that I "had tangy" do something for me. That's ridiculous, and it's patently untrue, but I don't expect you to accept that. I don't imagine that Tangy would be pleased to know that you are projecting your distaste for me onto her and basically saying she is too weak to act on her own and just listened to what I was telling her behind the scenes. I like tangy just fine, but she and I are hardly close enough to where she would act on my behalf or take my orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Now, it appears from what you say that you are "acting moderator" for the USA forum and make sure things are running smoothly there. The ironic thing is that you are now making the argument I made a few years ago: The forum doesn't need a moderator.
Excuse me? Where did I say this? Oh wait, I didn't. I am not "acting moderator" at all and I said nothing to suggest that. Once or twice I have asked the supermods to get rid of a spam thread and maybe once or twice I have asked for threads to be merged. But I know that other people - non-moderators - have asked for similar things and have reported posts as well. I know you think you have me all figured out, but please do not put words into my mouth and thoughts into my head. You didn't think we had a need for an Andy forum, fine. I don't think that the Team USA forum - which has maybe 10 sporadically active posters at the moment - needs one now. They are hardly the same so I don't see how you can analogize the two. But that's fine if you think it's the same thing, I'm not going to quibble about it with you. If you have issues with me still after all these years, I am sorry for that. But I will not allow you to continue making up lies about me and smearing me through the mud to anyone who might listen.

You will continue to believe whatever you want, but what happened in regards to the Andy forum moderator stuff is quite clear in the threads that are still easily accessible in the Andy forum.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #44
country flag JolánGagó

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Last night, darling, I lost my underwear
Sak Noel
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #45
country flag Ozone

Deb just quit defending yourself and if people want to bash you, let them

JBlock Forever
Closed Thread