Replacing my Ti.Fire Tour Edition - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
country flag jtgamble

jtgamble is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing my Ti.Fire Tour Edition

Hi,

I've been using the Ti.Fire Tour Edition for about 8 years or so now, and I think it is about time for me to move on to a new stick. I haven't played much in the last few years, but back in high school I played #1 singles and #1 doubles.

When I play singles I'm a pretty heavy baseliner with a big serve and forehand. I play a 2H backhand, that while it is my weaker side, I still hit pretty heavily. For doubles I like something that is nice and maneuverable at net, and gives me enough control to paint the lines on my return.

When I play regularly I'm about a 4.0 player, but would like to keep playing enough to move to 4.5 or 5.0 over the next couple years.

Things I really like about the Ti.Fire Tour Edition:

-The length. I love the extra reach it gives me, especially when I'm scrambling after something out wide, or reaching for a volley.

-The head size. I much prefer a mid or mid-plus, can't stand oversized rackets.

Things I'd like to emphasize in my new racket:

-Control. I don't need much help in terms of power, but I do need something that will help me put the ball where I want it. I'll gladly sacrifice extra punch for some help with ball placement.

-Maneuverability. Even though when I play singles I usually stay at the baseline, I do need something thats quick at the net for when I'm playing doubles.

-Reach. I really like the TE for its extra 1/2 inch of reach.

-A racket that I can use well now but that also has some room for me to grow in to (skill wise, not size wise. At 6'4" I won't be doing any more growing.)

Thanks for any suggestions you have. Also, if it matters at all to your suggestions, I keep 2 rackets, one strung at 58 and one at 60, both with Super Fine Play 17. Just depends on how I'm hitting which I'll use on any given day.
jtgamble is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Replacing my Ti.Fire Tour Edition

so what it boils down to is that you are looking for a control racket thats a little longer than usual. unfortunately there are not a great deal of them around. you could consider the head microgel extreme, which is 1/4 of an inch longer, but if you're looking for good control i wouldnt advise it, plus i think you'd prefer something a little more old school. another option is the babolat aero pro drive cortex +, which is 1/2 of an inch longer, but it really suffers from the same problem as the aforementioned head, in that you may find it to lack some control. babolat also have the pure drive roddick +, which again is 1/2 an inch longer, but its heavier so has a little more control, but it can still be a little wayward as its so stiff. the only other racket that really springs to mind is the tecnifibre tfight 325 XL vo2max, which again is 1/2 an inch longer. this racket has a smaller head size and is heavier than the others i have mentioned. it gives the most control and good feel despite its stiffness. it is the hardest to use of what i have mentioned, but you also said you wanted something to grow into skill wise
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
country flag jtgamble

Thanks, I'll take a look at those!

For singles I've really enjoyed playing with some heavier rackets. Anything fit that's a bit heavier than the Fire, but preferably still fairly head light to keep it more maneuverable at net? I'm willing to give up the extra length if I can find something that fits the rest
Old 03-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

the tecnifibre i mentioned is 325 grams and 14 point head light, so that fits the bill pretty well
Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
country flag jtgamble

So, I went and got some demos and tried them out today. They didn't have the Tecnifibre unfortunately, so I asked them what they'd recommend for me (same things I posted above). The guy gave me a couple babolats - the Pure Drive plus and the Aero Storm Tour. Of the two, I much prefered the Aero Storm Tour. I'm not entirely sure why he even recommended the Pure Drive, it seemed to supply way too much of its own power. I had a very hard time whenever I took a full, hard swing. The Aero Storm on the other hand was much closer to what I was looking for. I could take nice full swings from the baseline and not feel like the ball was going out of control. I could place the ball pretty well. Overall it wasn't bad.

That being said, I wasn't THRILLED with it. I think its an improvement over my current stick, but I'm not sold. After playing with it for a while I wanted something with a bit more swing weight, that I could really plow through the ball with. It also had more power than I felt was necessary, though I'm sure I could adjust to it with some more play time.

Any other recommendations given this? I wish I could find the technifibre to try out.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
country flag jazar

there is one other extended racket you could try, which is the babolat pure storm tour plus. its essentially the same as the aero storm tour, but is half an inch longer, has a more traditional frame shape and is more flexible. other than that, the only other rackets i can recommend are standard length. you could look at a wilson 6.1 95, yonex rqis 1 tour, the new prince rebel, babolat pure storm limitded, head microgel prestige mp
Old 03-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
country flag jtgamble

Thanks again. I've picked up a Six.One 95 to try out - the recommended that after I returned the pure drive and wanted something with a lot less pop and more control.

I think I'm giving up on the longer frames. I'm not really sure I need it, just more of a familiarity thing