The chat-thread for lovers of other sports - Everyone welcome - Page 19 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #271
country flag Nichele Hull

Nichele Hull has a reputation beyond reputeNichele Hull has a reputation beyond reputeNichele Hull has a reputation beyond reputeNichele Hull has a reputation beyond reputeNichele Hull has a reputation beyond reputeNichele Hull has a reputation beyond reputeNichele Hull has a reputation beyond reputeNichele Hull has a reputation beyond reputeNichele Hull has a reputation beyond reputeNichele Hull has a reputation beyond reputeNichele Hull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The chat-thread for lovers of other sports - Everyone welcome

Can't wait for Miami New tourney better matches new chokes
Nichele Hull is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #272
country flag *Raine

*Raine has a reputation beyond repute*Raine has a reputation beyond repute*Raine has a reputation beyond repute*Raine has a reputation beyond repute*Raine has a reputation beyond repute*Raine has a reputation beyond repute*Raine has a reputation beyond repute*Raine has a reputation beyond repute*Raine has a reputation beyond repute*Raine has a reputation beyond repute*Raine has a reputation beyond repute

Any New York Mets and San Antonio Spurs fans here?

I already know who my fellow Manchester United fans here are. *wink*

| San Antonio Spurs | NY Mets| Pittsburgh Penguins
~Cristiano Ronaldo ~ Albert Pujols ~ Ricky Rubio
*Raine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #273
country flag isabelle86

isabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond repute

Lorraine, the Mets are my fave club in the MLB but I don't follow closely.

Ellen, have you ever been in a race at Spa-Francochamps circuit? it's the best circuit in the world! EAU ROUGE!

Last edited by isabelle86 : 03-24-2009 at 08:18 PM.
isabelle86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #274
country flag ellen_

ellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelle86 View Post
Elle, have you ever been in a race at Spa-Francochamps circuit? it's the best circuit in the world! EAU ROUGE!
It is BY FAR the best circuit in the world! I had a free ticket last year but I had no ride My mom works at Honda, so that's where I got the ticket from - but now they stopped sponsoring and I'm pretty mad of course... no free tickets anymore
"Sometimes you are embarrassed by how you are playing. Sometimes you want to be there, sometimes you want to go home. Sometimes you are fighting hard and sometimes you are fighting yourself." - Ernests Gulbis

To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle - Buddha
ellen_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #275
country flag isabelle86

isabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same problem, I had a friend who was working at Repsol but he left to go to Madrid, so no more free tickets to Montmelo. sad. they were vip tickets, above the paddock, just in the finish line, with a free meal, it was so great.
I LOVE each meter of Spa, hope you'll find a way to get free tickets (fingers crossed), best layout in f1 history and the rain in the Ardennes makes the races very interesting, La Source, Raidillon, Eau Rouge, Kemmel, Les Combes, Malmedy, Rivage, Pouhon, Fagnes, Stavelot, Blanchimont, Bus Stop, all the corners are great, Spa is as you said the best gp in the calendar.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #276
country flag ellen_

ellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have the same problem, I had a friend who was working at Repsol but he left to go to Madrid, so no more free tickets to Montmelo. sad. they were vip tickets, above the paddock, just in the finish line, with a free meal, it was so great.
I LOVE each meter of Spa, hope you'll find a way to get free tickets (fingers crossed), best layout in f1 history and the rain in the Ardennes makes the races very interesting, La Source, Raidillon, Eau Rouge, Kemmel, Les Combes, Malmedy, Rivage, Pouhon, Fagnes, Stavelot, Blanchimont, Bus Stop, all the corners are great, Spa is as you said the best gp in the calendar.
La Source and Eau Rouge But it's very expensive if you wanna go there indeed, and it's almost 4 hours of driving from where I live - and I don't have my license yet. Maybe for the next race
"Sometimes you are embarrassed by how you are playing. Sometimes you want to be there, sometimes you want to go home. Sometimes you are fighting hard and sometimes you are fighting yourself." - Ernests Gulbis

To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle - Buddha
Old 03-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #277
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

I just had to quote this. Its from a Royal Society for the Protection of Birds newsletter I just received.

A different class of WAGs at the football

I recently attended the Premier League fixture between Arsenal and Bolton at The Emirates Stadium. It was most pleasing as darkness fell in the second half of a fairly dull game that we were treated to flypast after flypast of a dozen pied wagtails.

The birds made continuous laps of honour around the stadium, darting in and out of the beams from the floodlights, presumably waiting for the football fans to depart so they could settle down in their exclusive north London roost. With Norwich's nickname of the Canaries, and Newcastle the Magpies, maybe it's time for Arsenal to consider a change?

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #278
country flag isabelle86

why are Norwich called the canaries? when I was a kid I had a canary called Marcelino.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #279
country flag isabelle86

French figure skater Joubert takes lead

Tonight, Worlds - Men's Free Program 8:25PM EST 3/26, livestreaming at channelsurfing

France's Brian Joubert surged to the early lead after the men's short programme at the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships.
Joubert, the 2007 World Champion, leads 2006 World bronze medallist Evan Lysacek and two-time Canadian champ Patrick Chan heading into Thursday's men's free skate.

Brian Joubert is wonderful (I'm Yours)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WCA8jjtRAI
Old 03-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #280
country flag ellen_

Kevin Van der Perren is only ranked 14th now But his free program is always better. I hope Voronov and Verner can still give Joubert a hard time! I like him but I can't live with it that he always gets more points than he deserves... It's just not fair.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:30 AM   #281
country flag ellen_

Lysacek is the new world champion figure skating, Chan 2nd and Joubert fell in his free program, he ended 3rd. Kevin Van der Perren made some mistakes in the landings and finished 14th. *swears in Flemish* I miss Stéphane Lambiel He had the flair that Joubert doesn't have (Kevin also has that). I'm disappointed

And how could I forget this F1-man Nelson Piquet jr

Qualies tomorrow morning at 7am CET!

Last edited by ellen_ : 03-27-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #282
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

EllenI saw Kevin's free program on the highlights this morning,it could have been far worse,I think he made a good fist of it,he landed some the quad and the triple-triple-triple combination. I heard that he was badly jet-lagged during the event and also continues to suffer with a hip injury. Great music he chose,last off Safri Duo - Played-A-Live

Hopefully I'll be up to watch the F1 qualifying tomorrow.

Isabelle you asked why Norwich City are called 'the Canaries'. Well in 1908 we moved to a ground called The Nest, and with that move came the nickname The Canaries. The other reason was that canary breeding was very popular in Norwich at that time Our first ground was Newmarket Road, from 1902 - 1908. Here's some details about The Nest

Footballers risked injury by crashing into the massive concrete wall which held up the cliff that dominated the arena and rose sheer, barely a couple of feet from the touchline. And the manner in which up to 20,000 fans regularly crammed into the precarious looking stands built into the old quarry would have had ground safety officers in a real panic had they existed in those days.

“It should never have been a football ground and I was glad to get away from the place – it was a wicked ground,” said 90-year-old former City stalwart Bernard Robinson, who played at The Nest for the first four years of his career.

“At one end of the ground it just went straight up and to stop all the earth coming down on to the pitch they had a huge cement wall. It was five or six feet from the touchline so wingers had to be careful.

“Behind the other goal were the dressing rooms and a small stand and apart from that there was just a row of houses and the gardens were 15 to 20 feet below the level of the pitch. There was a big wire netting fence to stop the ball going in there. It was very dangerous.”

As for facilities for spectators Robinson added: “How they crammed so many people in there I’ll never know. There was a lot of very steep terracing and I’m amazed no-one ever fell down.

“The crowd there were good but I wasn’t sad when the place was pulled down. The Nest was so enclosed and you felt the crowd were on top of you.

The Nest was gradually improved over the years, with the playing surface re-laid and extra terracing added, and by the time the Canaries were elected to the Football League in 1920 crowds of between 12,000 and 14,000 were common place.

Further developments in the 1930s, including an extension to the ‘chicken run’ opposite the Main Stand, saw the capacity rise still further and, on February 16, 1935 an incredible 25,037 crammed into the ground to watch City lose 1-0 to Sheffield Wednesday in the fifth round of the FA Cup.

Alas, by then, the Nest’s days were well and truly numbered. Concern over the facilities had already been expressed by Norwich directors and the matter came to a head just a month after the big cup tie when the Football Association wrote to the club saying they were not satisfied the ground was suitable to house large crowds.“You certainly noticed the difference when we moved to Carrow Road. That was a great place to play. There was just so much space!” Norwich made the switch to The Nest in the summer of 1908.

Thousands of tons of earth had to be shifted before a pitch could be laid and stands erected and there then followed the painstaking process of dismantling the old Newmarket Road structures and moving them painstakingly by horse and cart to their new home on the other side of the City.

Chairman John Pyke, the man behind the switch, kicked off the first game at City’s new home on September 1 as City beat Fulham 2-1 in a friendly in front of a crowd of around 3000. It wasn’t all plain sailing after that – an FA Cup tie against Reading later in the year had to be switched to a neutral venue when City’s opponents complained that the Nest pitch wasn’t big enough – but the club soon settled into their new home and it wasn’t long before five figure crowds were packing into the compact little ground.

With the Canaries having been recently promoted to Division Two it was quickly decided that the time was right to move on and City kicked off the new season at a plush new stadium, the original Carrow Road having been constructed in just 82 days.

The Nest stood derelict for many years after being declared surplus to requirements before the site was redeveloped after the war.

It’s now occupied by Bertram Books’ factory and offices – and walking around the grounds today it’s hard to imagine that a football ground capable of holding more than 25,000 people once stood there.

A small section of the wall so feared by visiting wingers is all that remains of the remarkable old stadium.

Credit to EDP24,Archant Group and historians for this article.

Finally,here's early pic of what The Nest was like as it was being constructed. The 2nd pic shows square goalposts were in fashion way back in the 20s and 30s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nest2.jpg (9.6 KB, 2 views)

Old 03-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #283
country flag isabelle86

Di!!! thank you very much for telling the story of why Norwich are called the canaries! I love those kind of things, they are fascinating and amazing! Norwich are still playing in Carrow Road? must be a very traditional and legendary stadium.
I asked the question because I lived in Nantes and the club is also called les Canaries but it's because of the team colours -green & white. are you a memeber of Norwich?

I tried to follow yesterday the LP in the world championships. I couldn't find a stream, the one at channelsurfing was only available to American viewers, terible. Hope to watch the highlights on youtube soon. Don't know what to say, it didn't surprise me the fall of Joubert but I was rooting for him, I agree the music of Safri Duo and Matrix is different and interesting. the music of Lysacek, I have been watching programmes with Bolero and Rapsody in Blue for 2 decades, is so boring and so easy. I miss Pluschenko and my fave Yagudin. Now it's the turn of the ladies, one of my fave moments in sports history is about a female figure skater and what is considered the best night in figure skating history. Great. Can not wait. Hope to find a stream, as you can imagine the only ice we know here is the one you put in the cocktails to drink.

Ellen, do you know those players; Vam Hemelrijck,Rodrigue and Van den Abele for example? curious!

Nelsinho, his father, 3 times f1 champion was a great example of a man, I think he had thousand of love affairs, he was the enemy of Senna.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #284
country flag but-it's-ok

Isabelle we are indeed still at Carrow Road. I have pics I will post that I took myself,but I don't have my memory stick right now.

Last edited by patchett : 03-27-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #285
country flag ellen_

Quote:
I tried to follow yesterday the LP in the world championships. I couldn't find a stream, the one at channelsurfing was only available to American viewers, terible. Hope to watch the highlights on youtube soon. Don't know what to say, it didn't surprise me the fall of Joubert but I was rooting for him, I agree the music of Safri Duo and Matrix is different and interesting. the music of Lysacek, I have been watching programmes with Bolero and Rapsody in Blue for 2 decades, is so boring and so easy. I miss Pluschenko and my fave Yagudin. Now it's the turn of the ladies, one of my fave moments in sports history is about a female figure skater and what is considered the best night in figure skating history. Great. Can not wait. Hope to find a stream, as you can imagine the only ice we know here is the one you put in the cocktails to drink.

Ellen, do you know those players; Vam Hemelrijck,Rodrigue and Van den Abele for example? curious!

Nelsinho, his father, 3 times f1 champion was a great example of a man, I think he had thousand of love affairs, he was the enemy of Senna.
Yep, all true about Nelson

I've heard of a Louis Van Hemelrijck, a Belgian football player. But that's from more than 30 years before I was born, I think I don't know the other ones.

About figure skating, I'm in love with all those songs. La Valse d'Amelie The song of Lord of the Rings, Two Towers And of course this one, Un giorno per noi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVK4SL91rzI This program from Stéphane Lambiel made me cry when I first saw it, it's so beautiful. He's (was) amazing.