News thread - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default News thread

(I never know where to post the random news, like the commitments, the exhibitions, etc.)

L'Equipe writes today that they invited him for one day yesterday, he took part to the editorial conference, etc. - but I have no idea what it means and what is the point for us. Was he on l'Equipe TV, maybe?
They just say that he was "studious", but "not very talkative for a change" because he found the news boring (it was all about the expansion of the Roland-Garros stadion, poor him). He said he's "in hibernation" and confirmed he will come back for Metz (I still don't get why he's playing there!) And he was all smile when he was asked about the Masters, means it's a great incentive for the rest of the season.

Quote:
SIMON À « L’ÉQUIPE ». – Gilles Simon, vainqueur dimanche du tournoi de Bucarest, a répondu hier à l’invitation de L’Équipe. Pour une fois presque pas très causant ( « La guéguerre autour de l’extension de Roland-Garros, avec tous ces points à éclaircir, je vous accorde qu’il y a plus passionnant dans l’actu…»), il a assisté à la conférence de rédaction de manière studieuse. En phase momentanée d’ « hibernation » , le Français, qui a décroché en Roumanie son troisième titre cette saison, reprendra la compétition à Metz dans dix jours avant d’enchaîner sur Vienne, Madrid, Lyon et Bercy. Douzième à la Race, lancé dans la course aux Masters, il arborait hier un large sourire à l’évocation de cette fin de saison. « C’est quand même mieux de jouer avec cette carotte au bout ! »

Last edited by Truc : 09-19-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News thread

And there are now articles confirming he will play with Cornetto at the Hopman Cup next year - Alizé said that in an interview about the Olympics last time, she said they got to know each other better in Beijing and they really get along, so it's great they will play together at the Hopman Cup:
Quote:
France name strong Cup team

FRENCH hopes of a first-up Hopman Cup tennis triumph have been given a massive boost following confirmation that Alize Cornet will team up with Gilles Simon to represent the country.

Cornet, ranked No. 18 in the world, burst onto the scene at the Italian Open earlier this year when she beat Serena Williams, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Anna Chakvatadze en route to the final.

Simon is ranked No. 17 in the world and has won three ATP tournaments this year.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23210,00.html
Old 09-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

great great news thank you

best french tennis team since a long time and mauresmo/santoro

both are from Nice and trains there.

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
country flag Truc

Let's see first if they really both show up, the French team always looks great on paper and it always ends up with some last minute change. Gaël-Tati last year sounded great too...

Gilles doesn't train in Nice, he left Nice as a kid already and grew up near Paris. But the two "Niçois" would be a nice team indeed.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
country flag Truc

There also was an article comparing them lately, btw:
"Le sprint de Cornet et Simon"
The main points were: both from Nice and current French number 2, with a possible shot at the number 1 spot, unexpected raise in the rankings this year based on a huge confidence and a stable relationship with their respective coach, same straightforward style and open relationship with the media (in opposition to the two French number 1 who always seem defensive towards the media) - and also the fact that they both still lack a good result in a Slam.

I found the comparison pretty far-fetched, they seem very different to me - Alizé is so much younger, had a very sudden raise in the rankings, she's much bigger in the (tennis-related) media, etc. But some points are true, especially the stability and the attitude with the media imo.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Let's see first if they really both show up, the French team always looks great on paper and it always ends up with some last minute change. Gaël-Tati last year sounded great too...

Gilles doesn't train in Nice, he left Nice as a kid already and grew up near Paris. But the two "Niçois" would be a nice team indeed.
Ah ok,I thought he trains sometimes at sofia antipolis but he became a "parisien" its ok for me

I hope they will go and play this event.It would be great for them I think;play against good players without any pressure.
Great experience for them.

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
country flag tedlesurfeur

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And there are now articles confirming he will play with Cornetto at the Hopman Cup next year - Alizé said that in an interview about the Olympics last time, she said they got to know each other better in Beijing and they really get along, so it's great they will play together at the Hopman Cup:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23210,00.html
I read that in Tennis Magazine as well She said she was all excited to play with someone with whom she gets on well.
tedlesurfeur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
country flag Truc

I don't get why he still plans on playing the Hopman Cup, it was OK when he was going to have a normal break, but the situation is different now. They keep talking in interviews about all the things he will work on during the winter break ("les chantiers"), I always wonder when exactly he's supposed to do all this in one month?! The upper body work out, the 2nd serve, the netgame...

Anyway, he's still in Mauritius, played a sort of exhibition at his hotel yesterday, as expected. (Care factor around zero, I know).
La pression des compétitions comptant pour la saison 2008 est bien terminée pour Gilles Simon. Très décontracté, le 7e meilleur joueur de tennis au monde était en démonstration hier sur les courts de l’hôtel Mauricia. Actuellement en vacances à Maurice, le n°2 du tennis français a échangé quelques balles avec le Franco-Mauricien Enzo Couacaud et d'autres amoureux de la petite balle jaune.

http://www.lemauricien.com/mauricien/081125/sp.htm#1

Last edited by Truc : 11-27-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
country flag Truc

It's confirmed he will take part to the preparation course of the FFT in Saint-Cyprien which starts on Monday (1.-12.12) together with Tsonga, Serra, Chardy, Mannarino, Montcourt, Ouanna, Recouderc, Sidorenko, etc.
http://www.fft.fr/filinfos/default.asp?ID=4395

They do that every year, the emphasis is put on the physical training, with activities like mountain hiking, bike rides, team sports, etc. + some tennis training too, of course.

Last edited by Truc : 11-27-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

Even in holidays, he plays Tennis ! Crazy guy

He will stay 10 days in St-Cyprien

Quote:
Reprise: Tsonga et Simon à Saint-Cyprien

Désormais confortablement installés dans le Top 10 de l'ATP (respectivement aux sixième et septième rangs), Jo-Wilfried Tsonga et Gilles Simon connaissent leur programme de reprise en vue de la saison 2009. Pour la deuxième année consécutive, la Fédération organise en effet, à Saint-Cyprien, un stage d'avant saison axé sur le physique en compagnie d'autre joueurs tricolores (Serra, Chardy, Mannarino,...) du 1er au 12 décembre. Leurs homologues féminines seront quant à elles regroupées à Anglet, du 2 au 13 décembre, avec des joueuses comme Pauline Parmentier, Nathalie Dechy ou bien encore Mathilde Johansson.
Edit : you're so fast Truc lol
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
country flag Truc

And I was reading an interview of Jérémy Chardy on his website, of course he's asked about Jo and Gilles (French tennis players can't give an interview without being asked about Jo and Gilles lately) and he says they will play doubles together again at the Australian Open. (He answers he's happy for Gilles since they get along very well, etc.)
http://membres.lycos.fr/jeremychardy/interview.htm
Old 11-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #12
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They do that everywhere
I guess you meant "every year"
I saw some vids about it last year; it looked like it was a lot of fun and quality time. Good way to resume practice after a short and photo-less holiday..

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
country flag Truc

Oups, it's edited, thanks!
Yes, that's the nice side effect for us - the pics and the reports.
He always takes part to it, he talked about it last year at the beginning of this interview:
http://www.sports.fr/cmc/tennis/2007...ns_159565.html
He says it's fun and he also likes there are some Juniors ranked out of the top 1000 in the group because he did the same when he was younger and it helped him a lot, etc.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #14
country flag Truc

In Le Parisien:
Malgré la brève coupure, Gilles Simon se sent déjà d’attaque pour préparer 2009. « Je suis un homme tout neuf, se marre le demi-finaliste du Masters. Finalement, quinze jours, c’est assez long pour récupérer et déconnecter totalement du monde du tennis. »

The break was short, but he means he feels like "a new man" already and 2 weeks were enough to recover and completely forget about tennis.
He should join the other guys in Saint-Cyprien today (http://www.lindependant.com/articles...t-Cyprien.php5).
Old 12-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #15
country flag Truc

An article about his arrival at the training camp yesterday:
Quote:
Le Roussillon porte-bonheur de Simon

Comme l'an dernier, Gilles Simon, nouveau n°7 mondial, va préparer sa saison à St-Cyprien. Arrivé hier à Perpignan, le Niçois va passer une dizaine de jours en Roussillon et poser les bases d'un exercice au cours duquel il espère se maintenir dans le Top 10 mondial.

Le nez plongé dans le coffre de la Jeep du président du Comité du Roussillon Bernard Massines, venu l'accueillir quelques minutes plus tôt à la Llabanère, Gilles Simon tire de ses deux gros sacs pull, collant "skins", écharpe et bonnet. Hier matin, le soleil avait mis ses rayons dans le torchon et sur le parking du Palais des Expositions, balayé par une tramontane piquante, le nouveau numéro sept mondial retrouve ses copains du Team France, les Chardy, Serra, Montcourt, Recouderc... arrivés la veille à Perpignan, pour douze jours de stage. Concert de klaxons, sourires et embrassades en boucle pour le récent demi-finaliste du Masters de Shanghaï.
"Cela fait plaisir de les revoir. Toute l'année, nous sommes disséminés aux quatre coins du monde dans des différents tournois. Nous avons finalement assez peu l'occasion de nous croiser, si ce n'est quelques jours ça et là dans les structures fédérales de Roland-Garros", avance celui qui retrouve ce département qu'il "apprécie beaucoup, non seulement parce que nous y avions déjà préparé à Saint-Cyprien la saison 2008, mais aussi parce que j'ai quelques souvenirs de vacances en famille de ce côté-ci de la Méditerranée", poursuit ce Niçois pur jus.
Nuit à Mariailles
A peine le temps d'enfiler sa longue parka moltonée sombre et voilà la joyeuse troupe embarquée dans deux mini-bus. Cap vers Vernet-les-Bains où une randonnée sportive sur les contreforts d'un Canigou emmitouflé par la brume est programmée quelques heures plus tard. S'ensuivra une nuit au refuge de Mariailles (1.718m) et un retour dans la plaine ce soir. "J'aime bien bosser le physique. Ce n'est pas un pan de ma préparation qui me rebute". C'est ici que le bourreau de Federer (deux fois), Nadal ou Djokovic ces derniers mois, pose les premières pierres d'une nouvelle saison dont on attend forcément beaucoup.
"C'est sûr que l'on va surveiller de plus près mes performances. Mais je ne me mets pas la pression. Seul m'importe l'avis des gens qui viennent me voir jouer. Ceux qui paient leur place pour assister à un spectacle. Eux, je n'ai pas le droit de les décevoir", clame-t-il.
Avec cette progression météorite (de la 29 e à la 7 e place mondiale en douze mois), se sent-il investi d'une nouvelle mission ? "Oui quelque part. Je peux être un exemple pour les jeunes du Team France comme l'on été pour moi des Escudé ou Mathieu, lorsque j'ai participé à mes premiers rassemblements à l'âge de 18 ans. C'est pour cela que durant ces prochains jours, je me dois d'être irréprochable. Ne pas balancer un cross, ne pas être à la traîne au cours de l'épreuve de VTT à Sorède... En cela, oui je n'ai pas le droit de me cacher tout en m'évertuant à développer un bon état d'esprit dans le groupe", poursuit ce jeune homme de 23 ans à la gueule d'ange, animé d'une grande maturité. "Cette saison, je vais m'efforcer de gagner en régularité. Je suis aujourd'hui dans le Top 10. Autant dire que je souhaite y demeurer, même si ce ne sera pas facile. Pour cela, il me faut être performant dans les Grands Chelem et les Masters Series, des tournois à fort capital points", conclut-il dans un dernier sourire.
Arnaud Hingray
http://www.lindependant.com/articles...-de-Simon.php5