Davis Cup 2009- ALLEZ LES BLEUS! - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #211
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup 2009- ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keijan View Post
Well actually I think the answer is quite simple : incredibly there is very few clay practice courts in France (in Spain, a good 75% are clay, but here, 80% are hard.) I've been playing tennis for the last 15 years (and 7 years intensively) and I only played a few times on clay (which is major fun by the way, so funny to slide around lol. But the ball is a bitch on it.) Plus all the big French juniors tournaments are hard or indoors. So the Frenchies basically grew up on hard (and indoors during the cold season) and trained on clay only when Roland was around the corner. Clay isn't natural for them, unlike the Spanish. And of course, there is that story of breaking down in front of a french crowd.

There is the exception of Jo who grew up on clay from his own words. But he was always injured when RG came and the only time he played it, he was still a teenager and drew Roddick in the first round. (I know, Roddick + clay = but still !) I've never seen him play on clay. I can't wait And of course, Gaël is a natural slider so it suits him perfectly. Probably too soon to hope for a Gaël/Jo final and I wouldn't want to jinx them, but
So Jo is supposed to be good on clay then? Thats very interesting. Beating Nadal good? Or at least taking him to 5 sets? I love Rafa but I would like him to have a challenge on clay every now aand again.

Why are there so few clay courts in france then when you have the only clay slam?
Cloudygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #212
country flag Eimear O'Mahony

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Marion thanks for that info. I didn't realise that. That's actually shocking seeing as their Grand Slam is a clay grand slam. You'd imagine they'd have a lot of clay courts!!! That's surprising me but it would explain why the Frenchies are so bad there if they don't practise on clay a lot. Have you got that video ready btw? I can't wait for it Tori, I try not to think about the rules too much and just enjoy watching the matches

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Also liking ... LOPEZ, VERDASCOand NADAL

The Adidas Boys - Impossible is Nothing
Eimear O'Mahony is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #213
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The new rules are stupid though they make it harder for players to climb the rankings and the penalties are stupid. Nadal took a 0 for Dubai (which means he has to take 0 points for one of his 500 point countable results even if he does another 4 better he will have to have one of them as a 0) but Federer for some reason was fine to withdraw and didn't get the penalty.

A player's withdrawal from an ATP World Tour 500 event whether on time or of after
the 12 noon deadline, shall result in a zero (0) point included as one of his best of four
(4) results. Further non-consecutive withdrawals shall result in a zero (0) point allocation
replacing the next best positive result for each additional withdrawal. Players with
multiple consecutive withdrawals who are out of competition for 30 days or longer due
to injury will not be subject to a ranking penalty as long as verified and approved medical
forms are provided; or, a player shall not have the ranking penalty imposed if he
completes the Promotional Activities requirement as specified under "Repeal of
Withdrawal Fines and/or Penalties"

so if you are injured you have to be out for more than 30 days not to cop the penalty. grrr.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #214
country flag Keijan

Keijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond repute

Tori well I'm waiting to see Jo play before saying he should be good, but he got sometimes a little angry at journalists who told him he didn't have the game to succeed on clay "how can you know, you never saw me play ? I grew up on clay, I was good as a junior. If I lose four times in four years first round in RG, then you can say "he doesn't have the game to be good on clay", but not before."
I'm waiting, but expecting big things from him maybe not immediatly against Nadal, but why not in a close future

I don't know why there is so few clay courts in France, I suppose it's partly because of the climate : you can only play half the year (if you're lucky) outside in France, otherwise it's too cold or rainy unlike Spain. So it would be too expensive to have a lot of clay courts that can only be used half the year I guess.

I'm working on the stupid video, but the file is enormous it's been trying to upload itself on youtube for the last 20 minutes and still nothing. I'm going to try to convert it. Sorry !
Keijan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #215

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest its still really confusing You have to be out for a month to not get penalised basically? So Murray took 0 for Dubai and Marseille and if he withdraws from IW/Miami that'll be 0 for each of those too? Jesus he'll be flying down the rankings in no time

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #216
country flag Cloudygirl

Well I suppose we have a grass slam and even in June and July it rains so we can't talk.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #217

That's okay Marion. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait I'll be heading to bed shortly so at least I'll have something to look forward to tomorrow if I don't get it before I go to bed

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #218

That's true actually Tori I feel sorry for the players on the outside courts this year though 'cause the players on Centre have a HUGE advantage

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #219
country flag Cloudygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eimear O'Mahony View Post
To be honest its still really confusing You have to be out for a month to not get penalised basically? So Murray took 0 for Dubai and Marseille and if he withdraws from IW/Miami that'll be 0 for each of those too? Jesus he'll be flying down the rankings in no time
)

nope Andy got 90 points cos he did quarters. If you play before you withdraw you take the points to the level you played to.

Marseille is a 250 event and so you don't get a penalty. He would get 00 for Indian Wells or Miami if he doesn't play though.

Cos he is top 30 his points are made up of the slams. The 1000 series (masters) then 4 500 events but if you pick up a 0 penalty you can't drop it and you have to play a 500 after the USO or you take a hit for that too then your best 2 250 events (like I think he has St Petersburg counting as one of those at the moment)
Old 03-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #220
country flag Cloudygirl

So as the year goes on someone like say Del P who isn't that great in the MS events to date will take a big ranking hit because at the moment he has 7 other events counting towards his ranking and as the yeara goes on they will have to come off.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #221

Still a LITTLE confusing But thanks for attempting to explain it to me anyhow. You're a sweetheart I'll try reading it again when I'm less tired and I'll probably be able to process it better Anyhow I'm going to go to bed now. Early for me I know but late night last night and no nap today means I am EXHAUSTED right now! My whole body hurts Night guys

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudygirl View Post
So as the year goes on someone like say Del P who isn't that great in the MS events to date will take a big ranking hit because at the moment he has 7 other events counting towards his ranking and as the yeara goes on they will have to come off.
Sorry but I'm still VERY confused here ... I'm being really slow tonight. Sorry

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #223
country flag Cloudygirl

So basically you have got two systems running at the same time at the moment. They have just doubled all last years points but as the year goes on the new system is coming in.

So under the new system if you are in the top 30 your ranking total consists of (or will consist of by the end of the year):-
The grandslams - so up to 2000 points for each slam available here
the MS events or 1000 series of which there are 8 mandatory ones (monte carlo is now an optional)
4 x 500 point events one of which must be played after the USO.
2x best results from 250pt events. So basically you can't get away with having a good ranking by playing loads of thelittle tournaments that none of the top 10 go to.

So as the new system comes in the old points are being dropped off. So at the moment Del Potro has 7 tournaments in his ranking total listed as other countable tournaments (these are tournaments below 500 level but still counting in his ranking) but by the end of the year he will only be able to count 2. So it doesn't matter if he plays 10 250 level tournaments he will only be able to count the best 2 in his ranking total. As the year goes on they will drop off his total. As soon as he plays a 500 point tournament that will replace the result of one of those other countable tournaments even if he loses first round and so it is worth less points.

Thats my understanding anyway.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #224

Thanks Tori. I have a BIT of a better understanding of it now. I can see what you're saying. I was just a little confused about the two systems working side by side but I guess that's where everybody is getting confused? Why can't they just do away with the old system altogether? Or is because of the ranking points people already have they need to bring in the new system gradually?

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #225
country flag Cloudygirl

because of the ranking points that people already have this year.
I think it def makes the job harder for people coming back up the rankings.