Davis Cup 2009- ALLEZ LES BLEUS! - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #166
country flag Eimear O'Mahony

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup 2009- ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

I don't know if Jo would have done a better job and I can understand Forget's thinking in keeping him fresh for tomorrow because he more than likely will end up playing the deciding rubber and you don't want him any way tired

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Also liking ... LOPEZ, VERDASCOand NADAL

The Adidas Boys - Impossible is Nothing
Eimear O'Mahony is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #167
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Jo and Rich have won a doubs title together, they can play together. Mikas shoulder was obvioulsy giving him problems or so it seemed. If that developed in the match fine but if they were having probs in practice then it was daft. He had a really short match against Steps so he can't be that tired.

Anyway hopefully Gilles will blast Steps 7-6 (just to get him warmed up) 6-0 6-0 tomorrow.
Cloudygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #168

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

Ah okay Tori. I didn't realise that Jo and Richard had won a doubles title together. I'm learning something new everyday on here I really am. In that case, if Mika's shoulder was bothering him before the match, it does seem strange they didn't put Jo in

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #169
country flag xhr75019

xhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaplenske View Post
Its another pathetique choice from forget.
I find it a bit harsh and quite unfair. I know Forget is not popular around here. Everybody seems to have forgotten he brought us 3 Davis Cup (2 as a player, 1 as a captain, plus 2 finals and 1 Fed Cup). Doesn't the man deserve some sort of respect if no trust ?

SIMONFILS
& TSONGASQUET
+ a few others...
xhr75019 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #170
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhr75019 View Post
I find it a bit harsh and quite unfair. I know Forget is not popular around here. Everybody seems to have forgotten he brought us 3 Davis Cup (2 as a player, 1 as a captain, plus 2 finals and 1 Fed Cup). Doesn't the man deserve some sort of respect if no trust ?
It probably is a bit unfair and hopefully all criticisms will be forgotten tomorrow because they will win but I can understand the feeling that if you can't win with such a depth of players when can you win. It's easy to blame Forget I guess.

Tsonga if he wasn't injured most of the time would already be a top 5 player. Gilles and Gael are also in the top 10 and Richie has been there. France also has Clement and Llodra who have won a slam together.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #171

In some ways its unfair to blame Forget because all he does is picks the players, its then up to the players to go out and perform. However is is this exact point which makes it easy to blame Forget. He picks the players. So if he is seen to pick players that are out of form or pick a doubles combination that doesn't work then the buck, seemingly, must stop with him. I agree with you though, Tori, hopefully France will win tomorrow and all thoughts of criticism and blame (from us as well as the media) will stop

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #172
country flag xhr75019

xhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudygirl View Post
Tsonga if he wasn't injured most of the time would already be a top 5 player. Gilles and Gael are also in the top 10 and Richie has been there. France also has Clement and Llodra who have won a slam together.
Don't forget Santoro who has won a couple of GS and a Masters in doubles too !
He might be DC Captain one day...
We are really fortunate to have so many talented players all with very different styles of tennis and interesting personalities. And Jérémy Chardy is coming up now !
Great bunch. If we don't grab the Davis Cup this year I hope we will soon.

SIMONFILS
& TSONGASQUET
+ a few others...
Old 03-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #173

The future is incredibly bright for French tennis it really is. You guys should be very hopeful. You've got four potential slam winners, the olderst of which is 24 (Gilles) so they're going to be around for a while yet and Chardy is looking good. We've got Andy Murray and ... well ... Andy Murray (I say we classing myself as British but you know what I mean. Ireland don't feature in the Davis Cup so Britain is my adopted country for DC) I'd LOVE to see Santoro as DC Captain Xavier. I think he'd be great and just what France needs. A personality. Forget doesn't seem to have the best personality imo.

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #174
country flag xhr75019

You're misjudging Forget from what you read here and there Eimear. He is actually a really good guy and noone is more dedicated to DC than him. And be sure that the minute the players will get sick of him, he will be off. The problem is also that right now nobody can't see anyone to do his job better.

SIMONFILS
& TSONGASQUET
+ a few others...

Last edited by xhr75019 : 03-07-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #175
country flag Cloudygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhr75019 View Post
Don't forget Santoro who has won a couple of GS and a Masters in doubles too !
He might be DC Captain one day...
We are really fortunate to have so many talented players all with very different styles of tennis and interesting personalities. And Jérémy Chardy is coming up now !
Great bunch. If we don't grab the Davis Cup this year I hope we will soon.
Don't get me started on this you have 13 singles players in the top 100 and I think about 6 doubs too and some are so talented like Santoro and I think Mathieu is also brilliant although he doens't have the results that he should.

I think Spain has 16 or 17 and about the same amount of doubs players. It shows so much depth when like Monfils doens't make it on to your final squad and Almagro doesn't make it onto a clay side for Spain.

By contrast Andy Murray is a one man squad. We have 1 singles player and 2 doubs players in the top 100

France should certainly win a Davis cup if not this year then soon. I also think realistically even with Nadal around you should have a french slam winner soon.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #176

I'm basing my opinion of him on the fact that he has said things about his players in the press that shouldn't have been said in the press. In my opinion that's bad management. If you want to have a go at your players you do it in private and not in the press. I form my opinion of people on a lot of things and not just hearsay. I'm sure Forget is a good captain and he has a fantastic DC record and that speaks for itself really. I just think what he's lacking as a captain is motivating his team and when he gets that right he'll get the most out of the team and they'll be virtually unbeatable

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #177
country flag Cloudygirl

What has he said specifically?
Old 03-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #178

I can't be sure exactly but hasn't he criticised Gilles and Richard in the past in the media? I could be totally wrong and if I am I apologise but I was sure I'd heard he'd said something about Richard at least because I remember commenting on it at the time and saying that stuff like that shouldn't be said in the press???

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #179
country flag Cloudygirl

I know the French tennis federation president said things following the USA matches but I do think some of that may have been a little justified.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #180

So it wasn't Forget himself then? Ah okay, fair enough, I apologise. I don't claim to be an expert on French tennis. I've only been into it for a few months now so you'll have to forgive me if I say the odd stupid thing because I'm not fully aware of the history between various people etc etc so I might pick things up wrong now and then

Simon Monfils Gasquet