Davis Cup 2009- ALLEZ LES BLEUS! - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #151
country flag Eimear O'Mahony

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup 2009- ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

It is incredibly complex with a lot of possibilities and we won't know until tomorrow but I really can't see Forget changing now unless either player says they don't think they could win (and I could never EVER imagine Gilles, or Jo for that matter, saying that!)

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Also liking ... LOPEZ, VERDASCOand NADAL

The Adidas Boys - Impossible is Nothing
Eimear O'Mahony is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #152
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhr75019 View Post
Until 10 or 15 years ago the two single players HAD to play on sunday unless there was an injury. Now the captain can change. If Forget wants to do Richie-Steps he can (he won't).
I don't think richie-Steps is an option according to DC rules, cuz Richie can't replace Simon. but it doesn't matter - forget won't replace either for Richie on the last day, unless they can't walk.

Which rasies another question for DC rules. What would happen If Simon was really injured and coouldn't play? could richie replace him then since Tsonga already played Steps???
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #153

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I feel sorry for Rich. If they lose it'll be his fault and if the win they'll have won in spite of having him in the team. He just can't win either way the poor guy

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #154

I'm sure there'd have to be allowances made in that situation ... maybe Gael as the reserve could come in as French no 1 (which he would be) and play steps. I think the rules allow that in the case of illness/injury but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #155
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
I don't think richie-Steps is an option according to DC rules, cuz Richie can't replace Simon. but it doesn't matter - forget won't replace either for Richie on the last day, unless they can't walk.

Which rasies another question for DC rules. What would happen If Simon was really injured and coouldn't play? could richie replace him then since Tsonga already played Steps???
he can replace him in any event I copied and pasted the rules above. Got curious so looked them up. The rules for the first two rubbers are ranking set but the other two rubbers can be substituted. I don't think Rich will get that much flack for losing the doubs eimear. The commentary I listened to apart from in set 1 was a lot more complimentary of Rich than it was of Mika. I think if they lose and it's because Gilles loses both his his matches, he will cop a lot of flack. But he is more likely to tell em to piss off though.
Cloudygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #156
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eimear O'Mahony View Post
I'm sure there'd have to be allowances made in that situation ... maybe Gael as the reserve could come in as French no 1 (which he would be) and play steps. I think the rules allow that in the case of illness/injury but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
Gael can't play he is not in the nominated 4.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #157
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhr75019 View Post
You might be right but I really would like to know what was your alternate solution ?

Jo-Richie ? Come on, that's not reasonable. First, they are not an experienced team either (at least Mika is a great doubles player and is used to play with different partners). And second, nobody could forecast that Jo would win so easily against Stepa. His match yesterday could have gone 5 sets and finish at 11 pm. And in any case, considering his physical fragility, it would have jeopardize his participation on sunday when he is much needed.
Mika-Clément? That meant leaving Richard AND Gaël outside the four. What happens if Gilles or Jo is injured on Friday ? That was a huge risk, and one no sane DC captain would have taken.

You seem to forget that the captain has to envision all possibilities BEFORE the matches start.

I think forget made a big poker hit there and he's used of that .But I think he tought simon would win that first match,tsonga too so even if the doubles failed they would be 2-1 today.
I think he should have take clement for this tie cause its france big strengh.Llodra/Clement won GS and big tournaments together.
And if he thought about richard and micka as the futur DC doub,why hasnt he ask the players to play together before that tie??
you just cant set a new paire like that.Its another pathetique choice from forget.
Simon will have no choicetomorrow, THE WIN and nothing else.Tough to handle.

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #158
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To be honest I feel sorry for Rich. If they lose it'll be his fault and if the win they'll have won in spite of having him in the team. He just can't win either way the poor guy
That's the way it will play out but Actually Simon LOST on day one too.

No matter, Richie will get the heat for loosing the doubles match but I don't think he was any worse than llodra although I didn't see the first set and actually didn't see much of the 4th cuz of the bad stream/connection so guess I really don't know what I'm talking about... Bottom line a few practices together don't make a doubles TEAM.
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #159

Oh yeah Gilles would tell them to fuck off and get a life whereas if Richard was to cop the flack it would add to the self-doubt in his mind. I wish richie could look at Jo, Gael and Gilles (Jo and Gilles in particular) and learn from them how to cope with the media, how to put it behind you on court because, in my opinion, that's the only thing lacking in his game right now

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #160

Yeah I am aware that Simon lost Schu. My point was that Richard isn't a darling with the French media so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to pin it on him whatever happens. It wasn't a criticism of Rich or I wasn't neglecting the fact Simon lost I was merely criticising the French media and sympathising with Rich

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #161
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know why they're called rubbers Vicky to be honest but all I know is a DC match consists of 5 matches (4 singles and one doubles) and a team has to win 3 out of 5 rubbers to win the tie. At the moment the Czech Republic are 2-1 up so if Gilles were to win tomorrow in the first match the tie would be 2-2 so it would come down to whoever won the fifth rubber ... I hope that helps clear that up for you anyway
Oh thanks Eimear, thanks Scu too for earlier. I've learnt a lot in the last 10 minutes. I don't think Richard should get any grief over this, it sounds as though Mika was the one who was struggling in this match and I think it will be Gilles (if he loses tomorrow, god forbid) who will be the scapegoat this time from the sounds of things.
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #162

Lets hope not Vicky although, as we were saying, Gilles would deal with it better than Richard I think. I was watching the doubles match on and off and I don't think Richard played particularly badly so if he does get any slack it'll be totally unjustified

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #163
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah I am aware that Simon lost Schu. My point was that Richard isn't a darling with the French media so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to pin it on him whatever happens. It wasn't a criticism of Rich or I wasn't neglecting the fact Simon lost I was merely criticising the French media and sympathising with Rich
I sincerely hope they don't but you just can never tell. It would be really unfair of them to pin it on him, they should just leave him alone over this DC. He hasn't been the main man this time (thankfully) although I do worry for Gilles.
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #164
country flag Cloudygirl

I think Forget will cop it and Gilles will prob get it too. As I said the commentary I listened too wasnt too bad about Rich at all. They could still have changed the doubs line up after yesterday and I think they should have poss switched to Jo but hindsight as they say is a wonderful thing.

I think the difference is Gilles can take it and so can Jo. They won't lose too much sleep over it.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #165

Gilles will be okay if he beats Stepanek tomorrow and France go on to win the tie. His loss to Berdych will be all but forgotten about. Either way I don't think he'd let it get to them. He doesn't care what the media think in my opinion. He just wants to do it on the court and not worry about anything else. He's incredibly laid back from what people have said about him. I think we're being a little alarmist here anyway. The tie hasn't been lost yet so we shouldn't be looking for scapegoats really just yet and neither should the media. We should concentrate on backing whoever is playing singles tomorrow to the last

Simon Monfils Gasquet