Forum search alternative - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
country flag ttfan

ttfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond repute
Question Forum search alternative

The 'forum search' is pretty primitive and often does not work too well, and sometimes produced errors. The search function in the forums is integral to the software, and is very hard to change. You can use Google instead, but you need to type in quite a few terms to get it to just search the forum...

I decided to make a little custom Google search engine, that allows you to just search the forums and not any other sites, and allow you to use all the powerful search options that Google offers. I've set it up here:

Tennis search site

It's very basic so far, but I just want to see if people find it useful. I've only put in the major forums so far (like this forum), but will add others if people find it useful.

If you try it, let me know if you find it useful or not. If people find it useful, I'll start adding other options/catagories as well and will tidy it up a little. Any suggestions for ways of improvement/additions would be welcome as well, as long as they are not too tricky to implement
ttfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forum search alternative

I gave it a try, and it is (of course) already better than the forum search function.

What it doesn't do when conducting the search is differentiate between thread titles and posts within threads. I'm not sure how tough it would be to implement this, but it would be a major improvement.

Another thing would be to maybe return searches in chronological order.

But it's already a great improvement over the existing search.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
country flag ttfan

ttfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond reputettfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingLamb View Post
I gave it a try, and it is (of course) already better than the forum search function.

What it doesn't do when conducting the search is differentiate between thread titles and posts within threads. I'm not sure how tough it would be to implement this, but it would be a major improvement.

Another thing would be to maybe return searches in chronological order.

But it's already a great improvement over the existing search.
Thanks for trying it and I appreciate your feedback!

It would indeed be tough to differentiate between title and content of posts. However as it's a Google engine, it will automatically give priority to titles over posts within the thread, since if your search terms are in the title, the posts are far more likely to be relevant. This is usually what you want, but perhaps not always

Similarly for your chronological order comment, the more recent posts are more likely to come up before the older posts... but I agree it would be nice to actually have them sorted...I'll look into that.

I guess if this little search engine is used hand in hand with the 'forum search', and addresses some of the 'forum search' shortcomings, it's a big step ahead...
Old 03-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttfan View Post
Thanks for trying it and I appreciate your feedback!

It would indeed be tough to differentiate between title and content of posts. However as it's a Google engine, it will automatically give priority to titles over posts within the thread, since if your search terms are in the title, the posts are far more likely to be relevant. This is usually what you want, but perhaps not always

Similarly for your chronological order comment, the more recent posts are more likely to come up before the older posts... but I agree it would be nice to actually have them sorted...I'll look into that.

I guess if this little search engine is used hand in hand with the 'forum search', and addresses some of the 'forum search' shortcomings, it's a big step ahead...
Yes, I use the search function every day, and it's absolutely useless if you have more than 1 word, or a common word.

On the other hand, it has some useful features such as searching by poster, approximate date, specific forum, etc.

So as you said, the combination of both will solve a lot of problems.

Thanks for making this
Old 03-04-2009, 04:57 AM   #5
country flag ttfan

Thanks RagingLamb!

Should I post this in another section, for more people to see, or is this the place where people will look for it and find it?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

As a thread it should be here, but you can contact one of the admin and see if they want to make an announcement about it.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
country flag ttfan

Thanks for that!

I guess they're not interested... I PMed 2 of the admins here almost a week ago, neither of them even replied...
Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 AM   #8
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttfan View Post
Thanks for that!

I guess they're not interested... I PMed 2 of the admins here almost a week ago, neither of them even replied...
Well, some of the admin haven't logged onto the site for some time now. Once they do I'm sure they'll p.m. you back.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 AM   #9
country flag ttfan

Ok, I hope you're right... I had trouble finding the list of admins, so I just PMed 2 of the ones that were present at the time...

I'm an admin at another (unrelated) forum, and a mod in another forum... I always make a point to at least reply to a PM, even if it's just a message saying you'll reply later... I'll assume you're right though, and give them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:08 AM   #10
country flag ttfan

Well I PMed both Denaon and ~*Carlita*~, who seem to be quite active with plenty of recent activity in posting. If they can't even show the common courtesy of replying to a PM from a new member, I can't be bothered putting any more effort into this...

Guess I'm just not worthy of their time