Articles, videos, news... about French tennis - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #61
country flag xhr75019

xhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles, videos, news... about French tennis

It's really difficult to sort out this whole micmac without having any precise figures. Since L'équipe conveniently and carefully avoids investigating those type of subjects (along with doping and so many others), once more we can only conjecture...

SIMONFILS
& TSONGASQUET
+ a few others...
xhr75019 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #62
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Serra said years ago he gives 8% of his prize money to the FFT and gets all the expenses covered in return.
I guess that the players who earn a lot negotiate special contracts, I doubt Jo and Mathieu Montcourt give the same percentage.
But that's the idea, Jo and Gilles don't pay their FFT coaches and Richard doesn't pay his coach either, that's the specificity of the French system. De Chaunac said it again last time in an interview, "on est le seul pays où les joueurs ne paient pas leurs coachs". Apart from the few guys who decide to leave this system (like De Chaunac or Gicquel).

And that's what Gaël had done imo, so it's crazy the FFT pays his staff. Dominguez announced indeed during the TMC last year that he was now getting support from the FFT again, but I had no idea it was so much money, it seems totally ridiculous.

I haven't listened to Carrément Tennis yet (je compte plus les émissions de retard, là...), but the thing about the FFT giving money to Gaël because he was the only top player remaining before the rise of Jo and Gilles doesn't make much sense to me since Gaël was with Lagardère at that time. It's very recent imo, end of 2008, when they created that "Team France 2012" thing with Jo, Gilles - and Gaël for some reason. I still don't see the point for the FFT, though.

"Aujourd'hui Sport" hasn't published the answer of Dominguez on their website, only Seb's rant... I've hardly seen it mentioned in the other media, I was hoping for more explanations.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #63
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

The Serra article I was talking about (from 2005):
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=107

And an article about the Team Lagardère from last year:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...4&postcount=12
It says the Lagardère players give 7% of their prize money, I doubt it applies to everybody, but I'm posting the few figures I remember about the topic. It seems it kind of works like at the FFT.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #64
country flag xhr75019

xhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the data, Fran it's very helpful... This article about Serra is so depressing, almost as much as his subject, poor guy... he really is the Charlie Brown of ATP...

SIMONFILS
& TSONGASQUET
+ a few others...
Old 03-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #65
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

Bollettieri's opinion about The famous musketeers

soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #66
country flag xhr75019

The old man is spot on !
Thank you soulage

SIMONFILS
& TSONGASQUET
+ a few others...
Old 03-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #67
country flag Fifteenlove

Fifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting article and I quite agree with him. But what does he mean when he says Jo is too serious on the court?
Thanx Soulage!
Fifteenlove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #68
country flag Truc

A few things are spot on, but Gilles having "all the shots" and being an "extremely complete" player... He is the top 10 player with the biggest gaps in his game, on the contrary. He can't slice, he can't play a dropshot, his volley, his smash and his 2nd serve are embarrassing for that level.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #69
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
A few things are spot on, but Gilles having "all the shots" and being an "extremely complete" player... He is the top 10 player with the biggest gaps in his game, on the contrary. He can't slice, he can't play a dropshot, his volley, his smash and his 2nd serve are embarrassing for that level.
Same is true for Gasquet having everything on the forehand () as well as on the backhand.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #70
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

The new musketeers episode 2 is this saturday on Canal plus at 6.00 pm. I saw a "bande annonce" yesterday it was in IW or Miami and at one moment the fouth were together on a green court of golf
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #71
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulage View Post
The new musketeers episode 2 is this saturday on Canal plus at 6.00 pm. I saw a "bande annonce" yesterday it was in IW or Miami and at one moment the fouth were together on a green court of golf
At that time I will be in Monte Carlo, hoping to see three of them live, even er.
I don't care about Tsonga.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #72
country flag Truc

Great article of Ladji Doucouré today in L'Equipe about Gaël, Jo and Gilles (they were together at the INSEP):
Quote:
Mes amis mousquetaires
J’ai grandi avec Gaël Monfils, Gilles Simon et Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Voici deux ou trois choses que je sais d’eux...
Par Ladji DOUCOURÉ

QUAND J’AI LU L’INTERVIEW de Guy Forget au lendemain de la défaite des Français en Coupe Davis, une phrase m’a interpellé : « Gaël, Gilles et Jo ont une amitié profonde, ils se font la bise au p’tit déj, on voit que ça remonte à loin. » Il a raison. Et je crois pouvoir préciser la période où se situe la création de liens si forts entre Monfils, Simon et Tsonga. Les mêmes se sont tissés entre des basketteurs comme Parker, Diaw et Turiaf, ou entre Leslie Djhone et moi. Nous avons grandi ensemble, dans nos sports et dans la vie, avec pour point de départ un site fédérateur : le bâtiment U de l’INSEP, réservé aux mineurs.
J’y ai débarqué en septembre 1999, et c’est là qu’on a fait connaissance. Au B.U., les grosses stars étaient alors Nicolas Mahut et Julien Benneteau, tout juste sacrés champions du monde juniors en double. Les trois autres étaient plus jeunes, même si Gaël avait une belle étiquette, grâce à son record du monde juniors du service le plus puissant, à plus de 200 km/h. Où trouvait-il une telle énergie ? Dans ses bras aussi frêles ?
Gaël était un gringalet. Avec ses petites lunettes rondes, on l’avait surnommé « Steve Urkel ». Vous savez, ce gars un peu ridicule d’une série américaine de l’époque, qui portait des pantalons trop courts, retenus par des bretelles et qui lui remontaient jusque sous le menton. Comme lui, Gaël était un impulsif, capable de s’embrouiller pour des broutilles. Quand lui se faisait chambrer, il se réfugiait auprès de Leslie, notre grand frère.
Cette image de Steve Urkel, ça l’agaçait... Il aimait déjà les belles fringues. Lors des fêtes du B.U., les tennismen se plaçaient tout le temps au balcon, à côté du DJ, à se montrer et à mater les autres. Ils ne venaient jamais sur la piste. C’est moi qui, à sa demande, ai initié Gaël au breakdance. Il était plutôt discret...
Pas autant que Jo, bien sûr. Lui, il était réservé mais toujours souriant. Lui, on ne le charriait pas trop, il ressemblait déjà à une montagne. Il n’a pas trop changé physiquement. Alors que Gilles...
« Elle est où, Carla ? »
Le petit Gilles, c’est cette image que je garde de lui. Un petit bonhomme qui avait du mal à résister à la taille et au poids de son sac de raquettes. Il était un peu la mascotte du B.U., la peluche de toutes les filles. Un sacré malin... Après les cours, il se dépêchait d’investir la salle de télé. Si on s’avisait de lui piquer la télécommande quand il regardait Loft Story il appelait le surveillant, qui se laissait attendrir par son regard de nounours. Il en jouait, de son physique. Gilles, c’est un blagueur, un vanneur. Il provoquait sans distinction, persuadé que personne n’oserait s’en prendre à si petit. Il n’a pas vraiment changé, a retrouvé ses accents bravaches le jour où le président Sarkozy est passé aux Jeux de Pékin : « Elle est où, Carla ? » La voix a fusé. Mais, cette fois, avec son 1,80 m, il n’a pas pu se cacher. Et on a bien rigolé.
Gamins, je l’avoue, les tennismen nous impressionnaient par leur capacité d’adaptation. Des vrais touche-à-tout du sport. Chaque jour, ils avaient la chance de jouer au foot, avec de belles panoplies : maillot, short et chaussettes aux couleurs de leurs clubs préférés. Mais ils nous volaient nos haies, s’en servaient de buts et les abandonnaient sur le terrain en stabilisé. Pour se venger, on les chambrait lorsqu’ils travaillaient la vitesse et les appuis. Qu’est-ce qu’on a pu se défier ! Gaël est le plus joueur, il adore le poker. À Pékin, il a même osé me défier, lui sur 110 m plat, moi sur 110 m haies. Il a mis sa voiture en balance, une Audi R 8, un avion de chasse. Le challenge était assez tentant d’ailleurs, mais comme j’étais blessé, j’ai dû renoncer.
En fait, on ne s’est jamais vraiment quittés. Avec Gaël, on partage le même équipementier ; avec Jo, nous avons le même agent. Ils sont toujours en déplacement mais, toutes les semaines, on s’échange des messages, pour savoir où on se trouve, comment on va. Le mois dernier, quand j’ai gagné à Turin, ils m’en ont tous envoyé depuis la République tchèque, où ils disputaient la Coupe Davis. Celui de Jo était beau. « C’est bien l’Europe, mais c’est trop petit pour toi. » Moi, je l’admets, j’ai attendu quelques jours avant de les relancer...

Last edited by Truc : 04-10-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #73
country flag Keijan

Keijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond repute

Magnifique article, merci beaucoup.

Jo's text to Doucouré after his win in Turin : "Europe is nice, but too small for you"
Keijan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #74
country flag Truc

A simplified translation:

My friends, the Musketeers
I grew up with Gaël Monfils, Gilles Simon and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Here are 2-3 things I know about them...
by Ladji DOUCOURÉ

When I read the interview of Guy Forget after the defeat in Davis Cup, I noticed one sentence: "There is a real friendship between Gaël, Gilles and Jo, they give each other a kiss on the cheek at breakfast, it obviously has deep roots." He's right. And I think I know where this very strong relationship between Monfils, Simon and Tsonga originates in. The same thing happened between the basket-ball players like Parker, Diaw and Turiaf or between Leslie Djhone and myself in athletics. We grew up together, in our respective sports and in our lives, and everything started in a building: the building U of the INSEP, the B.U., for the "Under-18".

I arrived there in September 1999 and that's how we got to know each other. The big stars of the B.U. were Nicolas Mahut and Julien Benneteau at the time, fresh world champions in doubles in the Juniors category. The 3 others were younger, even if Gaël already had a little reputation for holding the Juniors world record of the fastest serve (over 200 km/h). Where was all this energy coming from? With such frail arms?

Gaël was a 'shrimp' with round eyeglasses. We called him "Steve Urkel". You know, this guy from an American TV series, a bit ridiculous with his pants held up by suspenders. Like Urkel, Gaël was impulsive and sometimes got into quarrels because of trifles. When the others were teasing him, he was seeking refuge with Leslie, our big brother. This Steve Urkel image was annoying him... He already loved nice clothes.

During the parties at the B.U., the tennis players always stayed on the balcony, next to the DJ, showing off and watching the others. They never joined us on the dance floor. I'm the one who introduced Gaël to breakdance because he asked me. He was rather discreet...

Not as much as Jo, of course. Jo was reserved, but always smiling. We didn't tease him much, he already was a 'hulk'. He hasn't changed much physically. Unlike Gilles...

The little Gilles. That's the image I've kept of him. A little guy who was almost collapsing under the weight of his bag with the rackets. He was kind of the mascot, the cuddly toy of all the girls. A real clever guy... After the classes he was rushing to the TV room. If somebody tried to pinch the remote control from him while he was watching "Loft Story" (the French "Big Brother"), he called the supervisor and made him yield with his teddy bear look. He sure was making use of his physical appearance. Gilles is a joker, always teasing. He was provoking everybody without distinction, sure that nobody would dare to attack such a little thing. He hasn't really changed. He was his old swaggering self during Sarkozy's visit in Beijing at the Olympic Games: "Where is Carla?" His voice was not to be overheard. But this time he couldn't hide anymore with his 1,80 m. We had a good laugh.

I have to admit that we were impressed by the tennis players and their adaptability at that time. Real all-rounders. They were lucky and played football every day with beautiful outfits of their favourite clubs. They were stealing our hurdles to use them as goals and they left them afterwards on the field. So we took our revenge when they were working on their speed and footwork and we were poking fun at them. We kept challenging each other! Gaël is the biggest gambler, he loves poker. In Beijing he even dared challenge me on 110 m, he without hurdles, me with hurdles. The stake: his car, an Audi R8. It was tempting, but I was injured and had to decline.

Actually, we've never really parted ways. We still have the same sponsor with Gaël and I have the same agent as Jo. They travel all the time, but we exchange messages every week to know where we are, how we're doing. When I won the European Championships in Turin last month, they all sent a message from Ostrava. Jo's message was beautiful: "Europe is nice, but too small for you." I admit I waited a few days before contacting them again...

Last edited by Truc : 09-06-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #75
country flag Fifteenlove

Fifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond repute

That's the kind of article I love, so thanx Truc
I couldn't help but smile at each sentence. Somehow they remind me of guys I was going to school with, the small guy, the teasing that's so funny!
Fifteenlove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote