If there is one book you would persuade others to read, which would it be? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #61
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If there is one book you would force others to read, which would it be?

1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (though I suspect it loses much of its appeal during the translation process)
The Lüneburg Variation by Paolo Maurensig
I, Claudius and Claudius the God by Robert Graves
The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #62
country flag Goldenoldie

Goldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If there is one book you would force others to read, which would it be?

I don't know about "force", but I would try to "persuade" Christians to read the Koran and Muslims to read the Bible.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #63
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

Not very original but yeah Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's Brave New World are masterpieces. Which can very much be compared, besides.

La France contre les robots by Georges Bernanos (not sure there is an English version though). Les grands cimetičres sous la lune (The Great Cemetaries under the Moon) has been translated, I think. And interesting to compare with Orwell's Homage to Catalonia.

The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene.
Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
Impasse Adam Smith by Jean-Claude Michéa
The English : Portrait of a People by Paxman

Books I just ... recommend lol.

Edit: oh and how could I forget about Balzac's Lost Illusions and Dickens huh well everything ...

Last edited by Echoes : 11-14-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #64
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenoldie View Post
I don't know about "force", but I would try to "persuade" Christians to read the Koran and Muslims to read the Bible.
I find them to be very good literary works as well.

I especially like the part of the Bible where some guys call a prophet "baldhead" and he invokes some bears that devour 42 of them.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Old 11-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #65
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
I find them to be very good literary works as well.

I especially like the part of the Bible where some guys call a prophet "baldhead" and he invokes some bears that devour 42 of them.
yes i liked that one... but, after pausing for thought i found it a bit too hollywood... i skipped forward a few pages until i found where it didn't feel as if it was being written for spielberg...

book of job is a cracking bit of work tho
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #66
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
yes i liked that one... but, after pausing for thought i found it a bit too hollywood... i skipped forward a few pages until i found where it didn't feel as if it was being written for spielberg...

book of job is a cracking bit of work tho
The part where, after being spared of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, the righteous () Lot's daughters get him drunk and take turns to have sex with him is quite the scene too. They got pregnant and had two sons (their bothers, and sons) who are said to be the fathers of some ancient peoples, forgot which ones.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #67
country flag GOAT = Fed

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute

The Great Gatsby. A truly wonderful, short book. It really does show what materialism can do to people
White knight Mark Lenders crew
Lifts at 1:00 am so I don't have to interact with anyone crew
Get nervous as fuk when I have to say hi to the gym receptionist crew
Too many clowns, not enough time to own them crew
Anti PopCon crew
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #68
country flag Edda

Edda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond repute

Animals in Translation and Animals Make Us Human, by Temple Grandin, animal scientist who overcame autism. She talks about the benefits of pets and animals not just for those with autism, but for everyone. These books integrate two of my topics of interest.
Edda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #69
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

The collected signatures of tennizen-vol 1.
This is detachment -- 
when the old is over and the new has not yet come. 
If you are afraid, the state may be distressing, 
but there is really nothing to be afraid of. 
Remember the instruction: 
Whatever you come across -- go beyond.”
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:19 AM   #70
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennizen View Post
The collected signatures of tennizen-vol 1.
I have saved every signature you have ever created and used them at parties to voice my social dominance and pick up chicks.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:43 AM   #71
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
I have saved every signature you have ever created and used them at parties to voice my social dominance and pick up chicks.
Precisely the kind of change I was hoping they would bring about in young lives such as yours

But it occurs to me, maybe I should start collecting royalty every time you score?
This is detachment -- 
when the old is over and the new has not yet come. 
If you are afraid, the state may be distressing, 
but there is really nothing to be afraid of. 
Remember the instruction: 
Whatever you come across -- go beyond.”
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 AM   #72
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennizen View Post
Precisely the kind of change I was hoping they would bring about in young lives such as yours

But it occurs to me, maybe I should start collecting royalty every time you score?
I spose we could work something out... oh and you're rich btw

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #73
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If there is one book you would persuade others to read, which would it be?

Another vote for "1984".

"Letters to a Young Contrarian" by Christopher Hitchens is quite good, this is before he transformed himself into an unbearable neo-con.

At least some parts of Robert Fisk's mammoth but amazing book "The Great War for Civilization".

Last edited by Pfloyd : 11-15-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Pfloyd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #74
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If there is one book you would persuade others to read, which would it be?

Oh, I almost forgot, although this is not a book but an essay, a must read is Bertrand Russel's "In Praise of Idleness"

Such a good read: http://www.zpub.com/notes/idle.html
Old 11-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #75
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Say what you want about Hitchens, but he's not a neo-con.

Now that you mention him, another vote for "The God Delusion" and "The Greatest Show On Earth" by Richard Dawkins and "The Moral Landscape" by Sam Harris.