If there is one book you would persuade others to read, which would it be? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #31
country flag Byrd

Byrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If there is one book you would force others to read, which would it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolánGagó View Post
ditto. i once read like half of one of his books and that was enough, the guy is like two fingers deep down your throat.
He's that bad? haha...Guess I'll stick to only reading one of his 'classics'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arhaych View Post
Nadal is more conservative than Margaret Thatcher.
^^QFT

"I asked a bloke in the front row if he liked the serve-and-volley stuff," said Rafter. "He said he did but asked if he was going to get to see any rallies. 'Not today, mate,' I told him."-Pat Rafter silencing the Nadull fanboys

Last edited by Byrd : 02-26-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Byrd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #32
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If there is one book you would force others to read, which would it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
He's that bad? haha...Guess I'll stick to only reading one of his 'classics'.
well his Eleven Minutes was quite good, the only novel of his that I didn't regret spending time on.
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #33
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Haines View Post
Some favorite 20th century fiction:

Pfloyd is that book you mention the best Chomsky? I haven't read him. habibko, I love Wuthering Heights. Have never read Les Miserables. I want to get around to reading Hugo, too many Russian authors, and Proust...one day. Right now the boyfriend is reading Dante.
I preferred Manfacturing Consent and Culture of Terrorism among others.

His books are pretty heavy going with about 20 footnotes per page so some of the collections of interviews that have been published would probably be a better place to start. Imperial Ambitions or 9-11 for example.

I probably don't need to tell you to ignore TrolŕnGagň
Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #34
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
Isn't he Brazilian?, where's the love mate
You have no idea about the amount of scorn he gets in Brazil. Basically I don't know anyone with some good judgement that likes him.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #35
country flag JolánGagó
Banned!

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
I probably don't need to tell you to ignore TrolŕnGagň
Let people make their own ignoring choices mate.
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #36
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

I read The Alchemist after 6 years of not reading a book... it was insisted that i should read it by a girl and i relented after a year... like byrd, i was at a crossroads.. in hindsight, the hook in it is the symbolism that allows you to relate anything to anything in your own life... especially for the traveller... one of those books you could shape it to mean whatever you would wish it...

not sure of the guys other subject matter... i have not read since....
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #37
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
I read The Alchemist after 6 years of not reading a book... it was insisted that i should read it by a girl and i relented after a year... like byrd, i was at a crossroads.. in hindsight, the hook in it is the symbolism that allows you to relate anything to anything in your own life... especially for the traveller... one of those books you could shape it to mean whatever you would wish it...

not sure of the guys other subject matter... i have not read since....
it makes sense since you are a non-regular reader, bookworms who read more than best-selling books often disagree
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:24 AM   #38
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
it makes sense since you are a non-regular reader, bookworms who read more than best-selling books often disagree
i've read some of the classics mate... dont worry...

to find a writing style, i chose not to be influenced...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #39
country flag michellej

michellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: If there is one book you would force others to read, which would it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama! View Post
The Autobiography of Malcolm X

i dont read books but i read this one and its amazing.

You might like Dreams from my Father....Obama's autobiography....(he's a great writer too)

PS I saw him in Ottawa in Byward Market...big smile, tall, just like on TV.
And he was shaking hands and having his pic taken with a lot of the students who work there.

Last edited by michellej : 02-27-2009 at 09:43 PM.
michellej is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #40
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

If I could I would make it mandatory for every country's leader to read "The Diary of Anne Frank."
"Slaughter House Five" is an astonishingly moving/shocking read. I first read it when I was 17 and parts of it even "haunt" me now.
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #41
country flag michellej

michellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond reputemichellej has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: If there is one book you would force others to read, which would it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
THE GOD DELUSION by Richard Dawkins
On the same theme, The Magic Animal..Philip Whylie. (religion as superstition, likely out of print)

This book had a great impact/affirming for me, but is only of value for those who are open /searching and have a mind open to the thesis as with your book.

I've read so many books and I've learned something from each of them. Lucky us readers. Always learning. Life is exciting.
michellej is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #42
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

I would make every child read The Litte Prince.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #43
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

Habibko - Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (1818-1848). Really? Never quite managed to really like that book.

With you on Les Miserables.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #44
country flag cristalmeister

cristalmeister has a reputation beyond reputecristalmeister has a reputation beyond reputecristalmeister has a reputation beyond reputecristalmeister has a reputation beyond reputecristalmeister has a reputation beyond reputecristalmeister has a reputation beyond reputecristalmeister has a reputation beyond reputecristalmeister has a reputation beyond reputecristalmeister has a reputation beyond reputecristalmeister has a reputation beyond reputecristalmeister has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know which one to choose but one of these two:

The emigrants- swedish book translated into english.
Das Vorleser- took me by surprise (and actually gave me a semi-lobon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
That sounds like something someone who wants to look educated/advanced reader/rly cultivated/bla bla would say.

Gael Monfils, Robin Söderling, Florian Mayer, Ernests Gulbis, Elias Ymer, Richard Gasquet, Roger Federer

(in order of penis size)
cristalmeister is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #45
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

The Open Society and Its Enemies (Karl Popper)
Changed totally my mind about Plato and Marx. Impressive, best thing I've read against totalitarianism

Novel: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Funny, smart and much deeper than it looks
jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote