2009 so far - is there hope for a good year.? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2009 so far - is there hope for a good year.?

So I thought I'd compare the start of 2009 to Richies previous years for a bit of perspective. And maybe we could use this thread to discuss his form over the year rather than it getting lost in other threads.

2009 so far

Brisbane semis 90 points

Sydney semis 90 points

3rd round AO - 90 points

1st round loss - rotterdam - 0 points
Pros - a few good wins 2 wins over top 10 players
Actually fought his heart out against Gonzo at the AO and played good tennis.

cons - injury and loss to Gonzo despite being up 2 sets, loss to Stepanek at Brisbane he clearly let him get to him. Withdrew from yet another tournie in France but we don't know why taht could be due to his injury and it sounds like he was injured in Rotterdam which means that his form hasn't necessarily gone off the boil.

This compares to 2008

Sydney - loss second round to Tursunov who he has already beaten this year.
AO - he did lose a round earlier and has obviously lost a load of points due to this. Lost to Tsgona last year who he has already beaten this year (not in a slam I grant you)
Davis cup win - we don't know if he is playing yet this year
Marseille - lost in round 2 so he has only lost 30 points by withdrawing this year.

Adelaide quarters
Sydney Semis
Aussie open 4th round
Davis cup 2 wins
Marseille quarters

However like 2009 hadn't beaten any top players the highest ranked player he had beaten at this point was Benneteau who was then ranked 37.

So his form this year whilst not great isn't the end of the world because he is never this great at this time of year.

Even if he loses to Safin in Dubai round 1 it isn't the end of the world as he is only defending 50 points anyway.

Under the new points system it seems harder to gain points (am I right I don't really get it) and the points from last year have been doubled ? So some of them have different values to what they will this year?

But surely as the year goes on and everyone adjusts to the new points it will be just as tough for everybody else.

He is defending 4th round indian wells but bar that his results are crap or non existant in 2008 until queens so surely he can build on that?
Cloudygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 so far - is there hope for a good year.?

I think we are all a bit reluctant to comment Vickie! Nobody wants to jinx him. Whenever I've posted something really positive, it's all gone t**ts up so I think I'll keep quiet
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudygirl View Post
AO - he did lose a round earlier and has obviously lost a load of points due to this.
Not quite, he lost both in 4th round, 2007 and 2008, against Robredo (2007) and Tsonga (2008), but he played worse against Robredo.

Quote:
So his form this year whilst not great isn't the end of the world because he is never this great at this time of year.
I think it is a fair observation and I noticed that, too. It probably has to do with the fact that there is so often something wrong during the preparatory season. He never played well in IW and Miami, either.

Unless DC has not taken everything out of him like in 2006 and 2008, he normally seems to come out of hibernation in Monte Carlo. And I hope it will be like that this year again, as I am going.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I want to go too or to Rome still hoping. Can't make any plans until get start date for new job. Still hoping it will be May not April then I can hand in my notice and take 2 weeks off between jobs.

I'm trying to stay positive about Rich. I still do believe that he can fulfill his potential. Hes always IMO anyway going to be a streaky player he isn't going to dominate but I think he could still win big.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm trying to stay positive about Rich. I still do believe that he can fulfill his potential. Hes always IMO anyway going to be a streaky player he isn't going to dominate but I think he could still win big.
My thoughts exactly. I don't see him winning on a regular basis. But what makes it so exciting, that we don't know when the big win will come, two months or two years? However, I do think that after one huge win, he'd be more regular than now.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
country flag Cloudygirl

I just can't believe it won't click into place for a whole tournament at some point. I could see him winning on any surface as well if he keeps up his physical conditioning.