Guy Forget as DC captain - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
country flag xhr75019

xhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Guy Forget as DC captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
I actually tone down my criticism of Forget a lot when I post on MTF! Really, I don't get what people (except the Sebarno & Mikapaulo fans, of course) can like about him.
Personally I can think of a number of reasons to like him, which I will try to list here :

- Because he is the second best french single player of the open era both in ATP ranking and number of tournaments won (not in GS results I'll give you that) after Noah (hope Gilles or one of the others will pass him soon though).

- Because he is the best french double player of the open era.

- Because he achieved these results with a beautiful classic "serve and volley" type of game.

- Because he was a great Davis Cup player giving the victory point both in single (1991, against Sampras) and double (1996) and having an impressing VD ratio in DC (Single : 17/7 Double : 21/4, undefeated with Leconte in double).

- Because his assessment as Davis Cup captain is more than good and spotless (1V, 2F, 1SF, never less than QF in 10 editions). Same for Fed Cup (1V, 1F in 5 years).

- Because in 10 years of being captain with the unevitable bumps on the road, his authority, competence and objectivity have never been seriously disputed by the players, wether young or older. As a matter of fact he repeatedly received votes of confidence from them over the years. Didn't Thierry Tuslasne say last year "Nobody is more fair (fairer?) than Guy" ?

- Because being always frank and outspoken, he managed to resist succesfully to the strong opposition and petty political manoeuvers of FFT President Christian Bîmes.

- Because as a TV consultant he is always informative, accurate and enthusiastic.

- Because in term of team spirit, positiveness and leadership he took the best of the Noah DC campaigns and still carries that flame. Noone loves Davis Cup more than him.

What can I say, I like Guy Forget. Always have, always will. I think he brought a lot to french tennis and feel grateful for that. And I always thought that, in addition to his talent as a player and a leader, he was a good natured, intelligent and decent human being.
I agree that his course as captain is leaning towards the end an that he might have to be replaced in a year or two, but by whom? Fabrice Santoro might be a good DC Captain one day (no idea how he would do relationship wise though, he doesn't strike me as the "fédérateur" type...) but certainly not right now. Escudé is still too tender as it was clearly demonstrated last weekend.
I look around and seriously can't see anyone in his place today.
More than happy to hear your opinions and suggestions though...

SIMONFILS
& TSONGASQUET
+ a few others...

Last edited by xhr75019 : 02-19-2009 at 12:54 PM.
xhr75019 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guy Forget as DC captain

You might understand that a Gasquetaire sees this rather differently. But I won't bring up all my grudges against Forget, it is of no use anyway.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
country flag xhr75019

xhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
You might understand that a Gasquetaire sees this rather differently.
No I don't Puschkin, why don't you explain to me?
BTW I count myself as a Gasquetaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
But I won't bring up all my grudges against Forget, it is of no use anyway.
Why?

SIMONFILS
& TSONGASQUET
+ a few others...
Old 02-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

You're really wondering why some of us think he's doing a very poor job as DC captain for a while now, Xavier? Even with regard to Monfils, Simon, Gasquet and Santoro (which is quite a lot for a current DC captain)? Your post is so full of love for Forget, I don't dare pollute your thread.

Nothing to do with his job as DC captain, btw, but since you mention it, I also found him embarrassingly biased the few times I heard him on France Télévision during Roland-Garros.

He bored me as a player too (I wouldn't think of him as the "2nd best French single player after Noah" - I would definitely say Leconte and Pioline first), but it really has nothing to do with my current problem with him as a DC captain.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhr75019 View Post
No I don't Puschkin, why don't you explain to me?
Richard played 3 hard five-setters in DC which he lost all of them, 2006 against Safin and Tursunov, 2007 against Youzhny. And for all these defeats, Forget implicitely or even exlictedly put the blame on Richard, criticising him for not being the leader Forget wanted him to be and not giving his best. Take into account that in 2006, Richard was hardly 20.

So Richard played his heart out for France only to hear last year - when things went badly wrong in Winston Salem that he does not care.... Admittedly, Richard had made a huge mistake before that tie himself, he should have refrained the selection, but after Tsonga retired he obviously felt, he could not pull out, so he went there, without conviction and you know the rest. And Forget went public with all that stuff.

Forget is very conservative in his selections. Why did not he allow Simon to play a dead rubber last year against Romania? DC is special, Simon will have to play in the Czech Republic and for the first time in his career, the crowd will be against him. He could have made this experience already.....

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 02-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
country flag xhr75019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Your post is so full of love for Forget, I don't dare pollute your thread.
How condescending can one be, Françoise ! Yet it is not the first time you use that tone, is it? Don't make a habit of it, it is not becoming .

I don't think my post shows unreasonable love for Forget. I like him, yes, but I think I explain why, and why I find him fit for the job. If I open the debate with positive arguments it is also to counterbalance the general dislike that I was surprised to find all over the forums. Could he have made other choices and called the youngsters earlier ? That's possible but we will never know what the outcome would have been. Like I said Tulasne was the first to say to Gilles "DC is so special, you will be called when you are ready, noone is more fair than Guy". And as for the Santoro business, noone knows exactly what happened a few years back, or do you ? Somebody was there and can tell us ? Fabrice was called back anyway and things were smoothed out. The important thing is that his bilan is globally very positive even considering last year loss which I aknowledge as a major faux-pas (although USA were huge favourites) one of the few ones in his 10 years tenure.

Quote:
I wouldn't think of him as the "2nd best French single player after Noah" - I would definitely say Leconte and Pioline first)
Forget was best ranked n.4 (for 4 weeks, + 7 weeks as n.5) and stayed about a year and a half in the top 10. Leconte was best ranked n.5 (for 3 weeks) and stayed about a year in the top 10. Pioline was best ranked n.5 (for 2 weeks) and stayed 5 months in the top 10.
Forget won 12 single tournaments (including 2 Masters Series), Leconte won 9 (no MS), Pioline won 5 (1 MS).

Everybody is entitled to his opinion but those are facts. Here is a good link :
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meilleu..._fran%C3%A7ais

SIMONFILS
& TSONGASQUET
+ a few others...
Old 02-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
country flag Keijan

Keijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond repute

Xavier, je ne comprends pas la raison de ce post. Comme tu as pu le lire, nous sommes nombreux à ne pas apprécier Forget et si bien sûr c'est ton droit de penser différemment, ouvrir un thread entier sur la question me paraît une provocation et rien de bon ne peut en sortir. Je trouve ça dommage, on a réussi à maintenir une assez bonne ambiance sur les forums des Français jusqu'à présent, contrairement à une grosse partie du reste de MTF.

Je trouvais ton thread sur les mousquetaires très intéressant, j'ai eu beaucoup de plaisir à le lire et à y répondre. Celui-ci l'est beaucoup moins, crois-moi. Pourquoi chercher à te mettre tout le monde à dos ? Ca n'aboutira qu'à pourrir l'ambiance, c'est vraiment dommage.
Keijan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keijan View Post
Je trouve ça dommage, on a réussi à maintenir une assez bonne ambiance sur les forums des Français jusqu'à présent.
Don't worry, we can still have a good athmosphere here, even if we don't agree on Forget. But you don't seem to like him either.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 02-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How condescending can one be, Françoise ! Yet it is not the first time you use that tone, is it? Don't make a habit of it, it is not becoming .
I was joking. "Appreciation threads" are common on MTF, the equivalent of the player forums, so to say, for the fans of a coach/umpire/etc. There was such a thread for the Argentine DC captain in the "Chicos Latinos" section, for example.
Since I had misunderstood your other thread last time and not answered the way you had meant the thread to be, I said that in jest - I would obviously be out of place in a "Guy Forget appreciation thread". That's all.

Last edited by Truc : 02-19-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
country flag xhr75019

D'accord avec toi, Puschkine, je ne vois pas pourquoi une discussion, quelle qu'elle soit, ou une divergence d'opinion, empêche de bien s'entendre. C'est même à cause de la bonne ambiance qui règne sur le forum, et que j'apprécie beaucoup, que j'ai lancé le thread, qui ne voulait évidemment pas être un "appreciation thread" comme Fran essaie subtilement de le laisser croire...
Je te remercie d'avoir répondu "dans le sujet". Tes arguments, qui sont plutôt des affirmations, ne me convainquent pas et je te suggère, plutôt que d'accorder foi aux pisse-copie et autres fouille-merde qui vivent sur le dos de la polémique et sont toujours prompts à jeter de l'huile sur le feu, de revenir aux véritables déclarations des protagonistes telles qu'elles sont par exemples consignées ici, à la section "Coupe Davis" : http://www.fft.fr/site-infopressev3/?id=1485 Toutes les conférences de presse des joueurs et du capitaine pour toutes les épreuves, jour par jour. Lecture très intéressante car ce sont de vraies conférences de presse, à chaud, avec de vraies questions qui n'éludent pas grand'chose.
Vouloir faire porter le chapeau de l'actuel fiasco Richard Gasquet (dont j'espère vraiment qu'il va se sortir très vite) à ce pauvre Guy Forget, c'est tout simplement à mon avis se tromper de cible. Ça fait près de quarante ans que je suis la Coupe Davis autant que je le peux (j'ai raté certains matches mais pas beaucoup) et, croyez-moi, dès qu'il y a le moindre problème avec les joueurs le capitaine est le premier à sauter, tout simplement parce que les joueurs, on ne peut pas s'en passer. Il y a bien d'autres pistes à explorer à mon sens, du côté de son entourage personnel (il a l'air complètement livré a lui-même dans ce domaine) et tennistique. Il me semble évident notamment que les dernières années Deblicker ont été catastrophiques pour le tennis de Richard et par conséquent aussi pour son épanouissement personnel. J'espère que son nouveau coach est compétent, comme nous tous j'attends de voir et je m'impatiente.

Mais je constate avec tristesse (c'est pas très grave non plus, je m'en remettrai) qu'il y a ici des sujets tabous qu'on ne peut aborder sans être soupçonné de noirs desseins ou taxé de provocation. On est manifestement là dans le domaine de l'irrationnel, de la passion pure, de... mieux vaut m'arrêter là. No hard feelings.

Et n'ayant pas vocation à en devenir un moi-même, je vous laisse à vos boucs émissaires...

Fermez le ban !

SIMONFILS
& TSONGASQUET
+ a few others...

Last edited by xhr75019 : 02-20-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
Vouloir faire porter le chapeau de l'actuel fiasco Richard Gasquet (à ce pauvre Guy Forget, c'est tout simplement à mon avis se tromper de cible.
Il n'y pas de fiasco ACTUEL. I was talking about the Winston Salem fiasco, to which Forget largely contributed while admitting that part of the blame has to be on Richard himself. But who is the captain?

Quote:
Il me semble évident notamment que les dernières années Deblicker ont été catastrophiques pour le tennis de Richard et par conséquent aussi pour son épanouissement personnel.
I am not the right person to judge the personal aspects, but Deblicker added stability to Richard's game. And let's not forget he led him to the Top Ten, so Deblicker is far from being "une catastrophe". The only feeling I have is, that they stayed together too long.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~