Wednesdays scores....round 2 - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-04-2004, 05:00 PM   #31
country flag Socket

Socket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wednesdays scores....round 2

bunk, this sounds like the article you were remembering:

Rain plays havoc with tournament

Tarps or roof not viable options at Rexall Centre, as yesterday's schedule scrubbed

By TOM TEBBUTT
Special to The Globe and Mail
Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - Page S1

TORONTO -- A long day of drizzle that washed out yesterday's play at the Tennis Masters Canada had waiting players getting a little goofy.

At one point in the players lounge, several of them, believed to be of Latin heritage, were engaged in a game. The end result, to quote a witness, was "three guys climbing around under the pool table in their underwear and everyone was laughing and videoing them."

Outside, spectators were more circumspect. Many wandered, checking out the new site, while others exchanged their tickets for either today's afternoon or evening sessions.

Tennis Canada's policy is not to reimburse but to allow ticket holders to exchange them for a subsequent session.

"It's definitely a significant loss," tournament director Stacey Allaster said of fallout from the cancellation. "We had one of the best schedules in our history."

Second seed Andy Roddick as well as Lleyton Hewitt, Marat Safin, Carlos Moya and David Nalbandian were on the program as the event tried to build on the buzz from Andre Agassi's dazzling 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 win over Tommy Haas on the Rexall Centre's opening night on Monday.

"We did $150,000 [in ticket sales] just last night [Monday]," Allaster said. "We sold 4,000 tickets. For today's afternoon session, we were expecting equivalent numbers."

In the only match to go on court yesterday, top seed Roger Federer led Hicham Arazi 6-3 last night before the misty rain led organizers to abandon play and eventually postpone all scheduled matches.

Rain is the scourge of tournaments, especially if they are on grass courts, as at Wimbledon, or hard courts, as at the Tennis Masters Canada and the U.S. Open.

It is usually associated with Wimbledon, but the worst run of recent rain-related havoc was at last year's U.S. Open, when only four matches were completed between Monday and Wednesday of the second week.

The U.S. Tennis Association received criticism about its method of drying the courts -- mostly blowers and people with towels and squeegees -- during the almost three complete days lost.

"Last year, one of the things that was interesting was that it wasn't all from the top," Schwartz said. "We have a very high water table [in Flushing Meadows] and it got even higher and that caused problems on all but [the 23,000-seat] Arthur Ashe Stadium. Our problems on [the 10,000-seat] Louis Armstrong Stadium and the [6,000-seat] Grandstand were underneath -- coming up."

This year, the USTA will introduce a Zamboni-like machine (about 40 per cent of its size, according to Schwartz) that will be used to suck up the water on the Ashe and Armstrong Stadiums during the U.S. Open, scheduled to begin on Aug. 30.

A similar machine is available at the Toronto and Montreal tournaments.

"We just used blowers, squeegees and towels today," said Tennis Canada's Mike Tutty, the site supervisor for the Rexall Centre's Stadium Court.

"The machine only works when the rain is heavy."

"It's most useful when there's a large volume of water, but then we'll still use blowers, squeegees and towels." To the question of why no tarpaulin, Tutty said there are problems associated with moisture under it.

The ultimate solution, a roof over the stadium, is not a viable option at the Rexall Centre and also may not be at the U.S. Open.

"We're investigating a roof," Schwartz said, "but I'm not very encouraged personally because the best numbers you can get for Ashe -- without even taking care of all the air-conditioning inside -- are about $60-million (all figures U.S.). By the time you're done with the air handling, you may be $80-million or $90-million."

Schwartz added that there is probably more chance of putting either a roof on Armstrong Stadium or one over both Armstrong and the Grandstand.
Socket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2004, 05:02 PM   #32
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

yes Socket, that's the one, thanks

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:02 PM   #33
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

omg......... ESPN is going to show Roger's match from yesterday... don't they remember how PAINFUL this match was!!!!

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:10 PM   #34
country flag Register

Register has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond repute

Cincy tennis web said 2pm est....hey i was right when i said 2pm muahahaha
Register is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:14 PM   #35
country flag Tricky_Forehand

Tricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if the weather forecast holds it looks like another double up Thursday
's-Hertogenbosch - 4th place
GSTAAD - WINNER
Tricky_Forehand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:16 PM   #36
country flag Register

Register has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond reputeRegister has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis724
Well, if the weather forecast holds it looks like another double up Thursday
Rain Update 1:10 pm: Matches could start at 2 pm.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:18 PM   #37
country flag Register

Rain Update 1:20 pm: Matches could start at 1:45 pm.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:39 PM   #38
country flag Socket

Socket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond repute

Cincy area forecast:

Strong thunderstorms approaching greater Cincinnati Tri-state area, a line of strong thunderstorms will affect portions of southeast Indiana along and north of interstate 74 this afternoon. The storms will produce wind gusts to 45 mph, torrential rainfall and dangerous cloud to ground lightning, rainfall up to one inch can be expected near Wilmington, Lebanon and Batavia, rain up to one quarter of an inch on surrounding areas, motorists should use caution, be aware of ponding of water on roadways and in low lying areas. (Aug. 4 at 11:28 am)

Conditions: Light Rain

Temperature: 73° F, 23° C

Wind: North East at 12 MPH

Dew Point: 69° F

Relative Humidity: 87%

Barometric Pressure: 29.84" and Falling

Last Update: Aug. 04 at 1:00 pm

Today
Partly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely. Highs in the mid 80s. Southwest winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 35 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.
Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 60s. Southwest winds 15 to 20 mph in the evening, becoming northwest 10 to 20 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 50 percent.
Thursday
Mostly cloudy in the morning, then becoming partly cloudy. A slight chance of showers in the morning. Highs in the mid 70s. North winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.
Thursday night
Partly cloudy in the evening, then clearing. Lows in the mid 50s. North winds 10 to 20 mph.
Friday
Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 70s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.
Friday night
Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 50s.

Saturday
Mostly sunny in the morning, then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 70s.
Saturday night
Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s.
Sunday
Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s.
Sunday night
Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.
Forecast last updated on Aug. 4 at 12:32 pm
N8QQ Weather Interface -- © NetCrafters 1996-2004
Socket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:52 PM   #39
country flag Cervantes

Cervantes has a reputation beyond reputeCervantes has a reputation beyond reputeCervantes has a reputation beyond reputeCervantes has a reputation beyond reputeCervantes has a reputation beyond reputeCervantes has a reputation beyond reputeCervantes has a reputation beyond reputeCervantes has a reputation beyond reputeCervantes has a reputation beyond reputeCervantes has a reputation beyond reputeCervantes has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone on court yet?

Berdych, Blake, J. Johansson, Ljubicic, Nalbandian and Tursunov

2005 PAW Year-end ranking: 1
2006 PAW Year-end ranking: 1
2007 PAW Year-end ranking: 6

Career titles (7): 2004 – Toronto AMS; 2005 – Monte Carlo AMS, Roland Garros, Kitzbühel; 2006 – Doha, Beijing; 2007 - Kitzbühel.
Finalist (3): 2005 – Miami AMS, Barcelona; 2006 – Bastad.
Cervantes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:54 PM   #40
country flag Register

it is raining really hard at the moment so no.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:58 PM   #41
country flag drtiger

drtiger has a reputation beyond reputedrtiger has a reputation beyond reputedrtiger has a reputation beyond reputedrtiger has a reputation beyond reputedrtiger has a reputation beyond reputedrtiger has a reputation beyond reputedrtiger has a reputation beyond reputedrtiger has a reputation beyond reputedrtiger has a reputation beyond reputedrtiger has a reputation beyond reputedrtiger has a reputation beyond repute

in how many hrs rain predicted to stop..i dont know how to count from the CET time...im in australia 4am here
drtiger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:11 PM   #42
country flag Register

ummm your 14hours in front of Cincy.... but probly no tennis 2day so dont worry bout it
Old 08-04-2004, 06:14 PM   #43
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

They are showing it because it was a close match although Bunk I am shocked that they didn't show Andy's match with Max which was very good. Of course Bunk they could always replay the Toranto final for you. You get to see art once again have its day in the sun.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:14 PM   #44
poundcatt

poundcatt has a reputation beyond reputepoundcatt has a reputation beyond reputepoundcatt has a reputation beyond reputepoundcatt has a reputation beyond reputepoundcatt has a reputation beyond reputepoundcatt has a reputation beyond reputepoundcatt has a reputation beyond reputepoundcatt has a reputation beyond reputepoundcatt has a reputation beyond reputepoundcatt has a reputation beyond reputepoundcatt has a reputation beyond repute

Register...from the Toronto Star, May 19 04 "It sounds like the scurrying about going on half a world away in Athens, but this construction zone is located in northwest Toronto. The $45 million Rexall Centre, the new home of Tennis Canada at York University, is slated to host Roger Federer, Andre Agassi, Daniel Nestor and other stars of the tennis world at the Tennis Masters Canada event starting July 24.."

as I said a roof was not built due to lack of funds...cost estimate....35 million dollars. (S. Allistair, tournament director , interview Masters TV coverage. Shocking, isn't it.
poundcatt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:16 PM   #45
country flag Register

from 2pm est