Is Fernando Gonzalez an underachiever? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
country flag Bazooka

Bazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Fernando Gonzalez an underachiever?

I always have the feeling that Feña has a huge potential as player that could have brought him much more in his career. Am I the only one?

There are very few active players with 11 titles, and it's not easy to find players with over 65% of matches won (317 - 169). He has been winning titles from 2000 to 2009. But he lost his four biggest matches: AO Final, Olympic final, and two AMS finals.

That forehand alone should have got him much more success, it is amazing when he is on fire. He is not seriously lacking in any other area, and is a good figther that rarely chokes. His good performance in olympics shows what he can do when focused.

Can we still expect something great from him? I would really like him winning something big, even the USO or next AO. He really deserves it after a decade of good work. But he better hurry, as he will be 29 this summer.
Quote:
The inhabitants of the Balearic Islands are said to have been the inventors of slings, and to have managed them with surprising dexterity, owing to the manner of bringing up their children. The children were not allowed to have their food by their mothers till they had first struck it with their sling.
~Vegetius, De Re Militari, late 4th century
Nadal: the last Balearic Slinger, the ultimate product of natural selection. Feel the weight of the centuries in the Topspin from Hell!
Bazooka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
country flag Tankman

Tankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Fernando Gonzalez an underachiever?

why this thread?

why in GM?

you don't want to know what I think about Gozofake

Tennis Tipping 2013
Doubles (275): W
Zagreb FU (w/Papillon.)
Tankman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
country flag ORGASMATRON
Banned!

ORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond repute

Not as badly as Nalba.
ORGASMATRON is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
country flag nestingus
Official Blogger

nestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond repute

He's a classic example of someone who consistently makes light work of lower ranked opponents and comes up just short against the top players. Eleven titles is a bit misleading, the best player he has beaten over those is probably Robredo. If luck had gone his way he might have grabbed a couple of TSM on clay, but his record in finals against top players is terrible.

I'd compare him to Blake to be honest, not in style, but in what he's achieved. Blake has got ten titles with no TSM or Grand Slams, and his best wins came against Roddick and Hewitt. Again, his record against the top players is awful.

Both Gonzalez and Blake have been fantastically consistent top 5 players in the past, but they both lack the cutting edge required to win the big titles.

I'm not sure Ferdando has got enough variety to his game to trouble the very best in the world and neither am I sure he has the mental fortitude to scrap it out with the best.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
country flag rafa_maniac

rafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond repute

It's been difficult for anyone the past 5 years to have any considerable success outside of the big 2 besides Djokovic to some extent, so no, I think Fena has done fairly well for himself. Three Olympic medals and a Slam final is nothing to sniff at.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
country flag Bazooka

Bazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestingus View Post
He's a classic example of someone who consistently makes light work of lower ranked opponents and comes up just short against the top players. Eleven titles is a bit misleading, the best player he has beaten over those is probably Robredo. If luck had gone his way he might have grabbed a couple of TSM on clay, but his record in finals against top players is terrible.

I'd compare him to Blake to be honest, not in style, but in what he's achieved. Blake has got ten titles with no TSM or Grand Slams, and his best wins came against Roddick and Hewitt. Again, his record against the top players is awful.

Both Gonzalez and Blake have been fantastically consistent top 5 players in the past, but they both lack the cutting edge required to win the big titles.

I'm not sure Ferdando has got enough variety to his game to trouble the very best in the world and neither am I sure he has the mental fortitude to scrap it out with the best.
Yeah, maybe you're right, he's very similar to Blake in achievements. We can put Ferrer and Nalby in that bag too. Maybe with different luck and coaching they could have done more, we will never know.
Quote:
The inhabitants of the Balearic Islands are said to have been the inventors of slings, and to have managed them with surprising dexterity, owing to the manner of bringing up their children. The children were not allowed to have their food by their mothers till they had first struck it with their sling.
Nadal: the last Balearic Slinger, the ultimate product of natural selection. Feel the weight of the centuries in the Topspin from Hell!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
country flag Serenidad

Serenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond repute

His H2H against Roddick suggests that he is where is belongs in terms of overall career.
Serenidad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
country flag nestingus
Official Blogger

nestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond reputenestingus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
Yeah, maybe you're right, he's very similar to Blake in achievements. We can put Ferrer and Nalby in that bag too. Maybe with different luck and coaching they could have done more, we will never know.
I reckon he has achieved quite a lot considering the opposition he has faced. I reckon he's pretty much fulfiled his potential.

Nalbo is a bit different though. He's already got two TMS and a Masters Cup beating Fed and Nadal en route. He really can beat the best players. Only a Grand Slam eludes him and quite frankly, like rafa_maniac said, Nole is the only person to break the Nadal Fed dominance in the last few years.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
country flag SushiMinimal

SushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond repute

Having that forehand and not winning at least one AMS makes him an underachiever. The choker thing is relative. I remember in his AO final against federer in the first set he was up 5-4, 40-15, with his service, but he made unforced errors.
SushiMinimal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestingus View Post
In finals he's come up against Federer 3 times and Nadal twice. And Ljubo who was unbeatable in Vienna at the time. He did beat Kuerten on clay who was ranked 17 at the time.

Anyway he plays a high-risk game, his defence is very average and his backhand is a complete liability most of the time. I don't think someone with such glaring weaknesses can be considered an underachiever.

Maybe he could've taken advantage of some of the weaker MS fields we've seen over the years. He was favourite for Hamburg in 2006 for example.
He would've been a leading contender for Paris in 06 as well only he was completely exhausted by the time it came around.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

Threads that are discussing why a guy beats lower ranked players and loses to the top players are always interesting. Just maybe it's because he's ranked right where he belongs.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
country flag Tankman

Tankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies in advance for trolling, but as you can see I don't see the pt of this thread

THIS THREAD SUCKS BECAUSE: (Place X where applies)

[X] This topic did not need a separate thread
[_] Fake account
[_] It asks when and/or will Nadal become #1 in the world
[_] It is a Nadal v Federer thread where making sense is prohibited
[_] It assumes Federer will forever be on top of the tennis world
[_] It is a lame ass troll attempt
[_] It is a “Threaten to leave” thread
[_] It was started by Rafa=FedKilla
[X] It over hypes players that don’t deserve it
[_] It contains the Croatian contingent in a argument either among themselves or with others
[_] It was started by JustCause
[_] Original Posters grammar makes me suspect the post was written by 4 year old
[_] It claims Player X career is over after 1 bad loss
[_] It tries to determine the best player ever (on any surface) for the 200th time
[_] It asks when or if a young player will ever reach their potential after a totally expected loss
[_] It is a serious discussion of a exhibition match
[_] It proclaims a 16-18 year olds career is finished after a couple of first round losses
[_] It has the word Gilbert in the subject line
[_] It discusses doubles when its not a Davis Cup weekend
[_] It is a serious discussion of a clay clowns chances at a clay event or in a individual match against a competent clay player
[maybe] It is the annual thread where people bitch about clay courters not showing up and embarrassing themselves on grass
[_] LOL Jerry Seinfeld
[_] To much sex talk in this thread
[_] It speculates whether player X is on dope without any evidence
[_] It asks/assumes Safin is finished in tennis after a totally expected few first round loss to the local baker in the first round of small tournament X
[_] Use the damn search engine
[_] It accuses the loser of choking when he did nothing of the sort
[_] It talks about fake injuries and/or fake injury time outs
[_] Cramp is called a injury
[_] BROKEN CAPS LOCK
[_] It claims females can be competitive with males in any form of tennis
[X] Wrong forum, douche (IMHO true )

Tennis Tipping 2013
Doubles (275): W
Zagreb FU (w/Papillon.)
Tankman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
country flag Bazooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankman View Post
Apologies in advance for trolling, but as you can see I don't see the pt of this thread

THIS THREAD SUCKS BECAUSE: (Place X where applies)

[X] This topic did not need a separate thread
[_] Fake account
[_] It asks when and/or will Nadal become #1 in the world
[_] It is a Nadal v Federer thread where making sense is prohibited
[_] It assumes Federer will forever be on top of the tennis world
[_] It is a lame ass troll attempt
[_] It is a “Threaten to leave” thread
[_] It was started by Rafa=FedKilla
[X] It over hypes players that don’t deserve it
[_] It contains the Croatian contingent in a argument either among themselves or with others
[_] It was started by JustCause
[_] Original Posters grammar makes me suspect the post was written by 4 year old
[_] It claims Player X career is over after 1 bad loss
[_] It tries to determine the best player ever (on any surface) for the 200th time
[_] It asks when or if a young player will ever reach their potential after a totally expected loss
[_] It is a serious discussion of a exhibition match
[_] It proclaims a 16-18 year olds career is finished after a couple of first round losses
[_] It has the word Gilbert in the subject line
[_] It discusses doubles when its not a Davis Cup weekend
[_] It is a serious discussion of a clay clowns chances at a clay event or in a individual match against a competent clay player
[maybe] It is the annual thread where people bitch about clay courters not showing up and embarrassing themselves on grass
[_] LOL Jerry Seinfeld
[_] To much sex talk in this thread
[_] It speculates whether player X is on dope without any evidence
[_] It asks/assumes Safin is finished in tennis after a totally expected few first round loss to the local baker in the first round of small tournament X
[_] Use the damn search engine
[_] It accuses the loser of choking when he did nothing of the sort
[_] It talks about fake injuries and/or fake injury time outs
[_] Cramp is called a injury
[_] BROKEN CAPS LOCK
[_] It claims females can be competitive with males in any form of tennis
[X] Wrong forum, douche (IMHO true )
Thanks, I am starting to understand your point of view. Maybe a third post saying the same will work?
Quote:
Old 02-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #14
country flag nestingus
Official Blogger

Thats quite a lot of effort for someone who doesn't see the point, lol.

Anyway it's good discussion, surely thats what forums are there for.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
country flag A_Skywalker

A_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think he is an underachiever. For his qualities he has good results. Maybe only a little bit more thinking would be wishful, but hey.. It's Gonzo