Grigor Dimitrov - future GOAT candidate? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How high will Dimi be ranked?

Top 200 5 20.83%
Top 100 3 12.50%
Top 50 4 16.67%
Top 20 5 20.83%
Top 10 6 25.00%
1 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
country flag FedFan_2007

FedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grigor Dimitrov - future GOAT candidate?

I could see him playing the role of Federer for the next decade given his 1-handed backhand and won Orange Bowl & Junior Grand slams titles. Also 17, literally born 10 years after Federer. Heck, I'm picking him to beat Nadal at Rotterdam!

Future match picks:

2011 Wimbledon 4R: Dimitrov def Federer(17 slams) in 5 sets
2021 Wimbledon 4R: Silva def Dimitrov(21 slams) in 5 sets
2031 Wimbledon 4R: ??? def Silva(30 slams) in 5 sets

so the cycle of life continues on forever...
FedFan_2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
country flag HattonWBA

HattonWBA has a reputation beyond reputeHattonWBA has a reputation beyond reputeHattonWBA has a reputation beyond reputeHattonWBA has a reputation beyond reputeHattonWBA has a reputation beyond reputeHattonWBA has a reputation beyond reputeHattonWBA has a reputation beyond reputeHattonWBA has a reputation beyond reputeHattonWBA has a reputation beyond reputeHattonWBA has a reputation beyond reputeHattonWBA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grigor Dimitrov - future GOAT candidate?

Have you seen his previous record against some of these guys,
Golubev 0-6 4-6
Andreev 1-6 3-6
Garcia Lopez 1-6 2-6
Serra 3-6 3-6
Meffert 3-6 0-6
Kindelman 0-6 2-6
Plus he has not been past the 2nd round of a future this year having played two of them and has always got pretty convincly beat on the challenger tour, i would say give the guy another year before he hangs with the top 20 -30 players for sure. He will be a great player tho.

Kei Nishikori -- Martin Klizan -- Jo Wilfred Tsonga

David Ferrer
HattonWBA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
country flag FedFan_2007

FedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Point is I'm sticking my neck out picking this guy to be a future #1 and grand slam champ RIGHT NOW. I will be a fucking MTF legend!
FedFan_2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
country flag Tankman

Tankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond repute

Oh poor FedFan... your idol's lost and now you've lost the plot

Anyway, it doesn't matter what you and I think of Dmitrov and the reasons for this thread. At this stage, me saying that Bernard Tomic () will become the GOAT has more credence than your claims. And he's got the results to back it up right now

And get this! He's SIXTEEN.

He and his father may be arrogant pricks, and he risks becoming a latter-day MacEnroe (off court anyway), but at least his results back up his attitude.

Which is more than can be said for Dmitrov... and Silva for that matter

Australian news media just reported a 4yo girl who Rick Macci tips to be better than the Williamses. While WTA talk does not belong here, I'm merely bringing this up as an example. That if someone is truly great, they get the hype young or they get the results young or they're very, very fortunate. And Mr Dmitrov does not fall into the first category until you convince me otherwise.

Of course this could all just be a joke, and I could end up being the fool - but at least I acknowledge that

Tennis Tipping 2013
Doubles (275): W
Zagreb FU (w/Papillon.)
Tankman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
country flag A_Skywalker

A_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Considering bulgarians do good in juniors and then they simply disappear or play challengers and small atp tournaments I guess this will not happen.

Tennis Tipping and PAW Results
A_Skywalker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
country flag Tankman

Tankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond repute

final nail in the coffin

i lack the proper smileys though

Tennis Tipping 2013
Zagreb FU (w/Papillon.)
Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankman View Post
Anyway, it doesn't matter what you and I think of Dmitrov and the reasons for this thread. At this stage, me saying that Bernard Tomic () will become the GOAT has more credence than your claims. And he's got the results to back it up right now

And get this! He's SIXTEEN.
Krajinovic as well.

And his results are as impressive so far.
And he's beaten Tomic when they met.

But I agree that both of them are the most promising so far.

More generally speaking, I think that :

- as well as Gasquet didn't have the game to succeed, I believe that the future is not for "baby-Federer"'s style of game : it's for great defensers (keeping the ball in play very well) with a powerful serve.

- 1992 generation might be the next challenge for current big players when they get older.

How does Dimitrov play by the way ?

Does he have a better forehand of backhand ?
Does he know sliced backhands ? volleys ?
Is his game based on power or more on variations ?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

Dimitrov is a mug player just like Gulbis
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
country flag Tankman

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Krajinovic as well.

- as well as Gasquet didn't have the game to succeed, I believe that the future is not for "baby-Federer"'s style of game : it's for great defensers (keeping the ball in play very well) with a powerful serve.

- 1992 generation might be the next challenge for current big players when they get older.

hmm well you raise a lot of good points... and since I havent really followed juniors, I don't really know who Krajinovic is, apart from the fact he's likely to be Bosnian/Serbian/Montegrin/Croat etc

But both these guys >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dmitrov IMHO

The time for baby Feds is over

Tennis Tipping 2013
Zagreb FU (w/Papillon.)
Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hmm well you raise a lot of good points... and since I havent really followed juniors, I don't really know who Krajinovic is, apart from the fact he's likely to be Bosnian/Serbian/Montegrin/Croat etc
Krajinovic is Serbian ... but was born in Croatia like Tomic, according to Petar Pan on a thread about Zagreb tournament.

He trains with Bollettieri.

Like Tomic, he will be a tall guy.

He's already made some good results in challengers.

He has a thread in the players' forum : he's also popular 'cause very cute
Old 02-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
country flag Tankman

Quote:
Krajinovic is Serbian ... but was born in Croatia like Tomic, according to Petar Pan on a thread about Zagreb tournament.

He trains with Bollettieri.

Like Tomic, he will be a tall guy.

He's already made some good results in challengers.

He has a thread in the players' forum : he's also popular 'cause very cute
oh great not another one Tomic is already acting like a chick magnet

Aren't we glad to be so blessed

ok jokes aside... this Serb sounds good too - look out Djoko brothers

Tennis Tipping 2013
Zagreb FU (w/Papillon.)
Old 02-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
country flag Modetopia

Modetopia has a reputation beyond reputeModetopia has a reputation beyond reputeModetopia has a reputation beyond reputeModetopia has a reputation beyond reputeModetopia has a reputation beyond reputeModetopia has a reputation beyond reputeModetopia has a reputation beyond reputeModetopia has a reputation beyond reputeModetopia has a reputation beyond reputeModetopia has a reputation beyond reputeModetopia has a reputation beyond repute

I remember Filip Krajinovic beat Robert Kendrick last year,
and Mariano Puerta @ Colombia recently.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #13
country flag duong

Quote:
oh great not another one Tomic is already acting like a chick magnet

Aren't we glad to be so blessed
yes : with Krajinovic, Tomic and Dimitrov, ladies will keep an eye on men's tennis
Old 02-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #14
country flag Tankman

Quote:
yes : with Krajinovic, Tomic and Dimitrov, ladies will keep an eye on men's tennis
i doubt it'll be just ladies

Tennis Tipping 2013
Zagreb FU (w/Papillon.)
Old 02-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #15
country flag Foxy

Foxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Krajinovic as well.

Actually his BH is the better shot. He hits it more like Gasquet. His fav player is Federer and he is using some of his tricks not that successfully though. Dimitrov could improve his serve furthermore. He is not mixing it well. Doesn't have good sliced serve too. But overall he has the game.

About volleys and slices I could not give any details since I haven't watched him that much. They are average at best as far as I know.

His favourite surface is hard court.
04.07.10 - Rafa's Express Faster Than The Rest!
13.09.10 - Who is the GOAT now?!
05.06.11 - Where is clayGoat Djokovic?
11.06.12 - NoleSlam denied! 7th Heaven it is!
09.06.13 - Hi8tory!
09.09.13 - #Lucky13
Foxy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote