Should Roger skip clay this year? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #46
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

My French isn't the best, but apparently Roger plays a preparation tournament before the French Open which takes place from May 20th to 22nd. Other players in the field are Nadal, Murray, Nalbandian, Monfils, Blake or Safin.

Maybe someone can translate the original article below:

Quote:
Du beau monde à Paris avant Roland-Garros
08/04/2009-[10:20] - Sports.fr

Rueil-Malmaison accueillera la crème du tennis mondial du 20 au 22 mai, soit deux jours avant le début de Roland-Garros, à l’occasion du premier Masters Guinot Mary Cohr. Ainsi, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Andy Murray, David Nalbandian, Gaël Monfils, James Blake ou encore Marat Safin ont répondu présent pour disputer un tournoi de préparation sur les courts en terre battue de la ville des Hauts-de-Seine. L’occasion pour certains des grands favoris aux Internationaux de France 2009 de se tester une dernière fois avant d’entrer en scène sur les courts de la Porte d’Auteuil.
Here's the link to the tournament: http://www.guinotmarycohrmasters.com/?C=D;O=A#
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #47
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

To answer the original question - yes he absolutely should.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #48
^Sue^

^Sue^ has a reputation beyond repute^Sue^ has a reputation beyond repute^Sue^ has a reputation beyond repute^Sue^ has a reputation beyond repute^Sue^ has a reputation beyond repute^Sue^ has a reputation beyond repute^Sue^ has a reputation beyond repute^Sue^ has a reputation beyond repute^Sue^ has a reputation beyond repute^Sue^ has a reputation beyond repute^Sue^ has a reputation beyond repute

No, he shouldn't skip bcos' he shd focus on winning his French Open this year..the coming years are tough for him to hold the French Open's trophy with a bunch of new budding stars coming out recently..... Plus, if he skip, what'll b the advantage of it???

WIMBLEDON CHAMPION 03/04/05/06/07/09 US OPEN 04/05/06/07/08
AUST OPEN 04/06/07/10 & FRENCH OPEN 09

^Sue^ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #49
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
My French isn't the best, but apparently Roger plays a preparation tournament before the French Open which takes place from May 20th to 22nd. Other players in the field are Nadal, Murray, Nalbandian, Monfils, Blake or Safin.
You got it quite right there. Okay, a lousy attempt from my head:

Tennis stars will be in Paris before Roland-Garros

[The Paris Golf & Country Club of] Rueil-Malmaison will receive the top stars of worldwide tennis from 20 till 22 May, two days before the beginning of Roland-Garros, for the first Masters Guinot Mary Cohr[-tournament]. As such, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Andy Murray, David Nalbandian, Gaël Monfils, James Blake or alternatively, Marat Safin, have been announced to compete for a preparation tournament on clay court at the city of Hauts-de-Seines. This will provide an opportunity for some of the big favourites for the French Open of 2009 to practice a last time before entering the stages on the courts of the Porte d'Auteuil.

Something like that.
So, IF THIS IS TRUE, Roger will indeed attend an (invitational) preparation tournament before RG. About which I have to admit having mixed feelings.

Skipping Estoril and Monte Carlo, but indeed appearing here? Hmmm hmmm.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #50
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
You got it quite right there. Okay, a lousy attempt from my head:

Tennis stars will be in Paris before Roland-Garros

[The Paris Golf & Country Club of] Rueil-Malmaison will receive the top stars of worldwide tennis from 20 till 22 May, two days before the beginning of Roland-Garros, for the first Masters Guinot Mary Cohr[-tournament]. As such, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Andy Murray, David Nalbandian, Gaël Monfils, James Blake or alternatively, Marat Safin, have been announced to compete for a preparation tournament on clay court at the city of Hauts-de-Seines. This will provide an opportunity for some of the big favourites for the French Open of 2009 to practice a last time before entering the stages on the courts of the Porte d'Auteuil.

Something like that.
So, IF THIS IS TRUE, Roger will indeed attend an (invitational) preparation tournament before RG. About which I have to admit having mixed feelings.

Skipping Estoril and Monte Carlo, but indeed appearing here? Hmmm hmmm.
So how does one or maybe two exhibition matches (if that's what it is) = a tournament? I have mixed feelings about him skipping MC if all the other big names (sans Roddick) are playing there. Mixed feelings because I want him to get healthy and the time off will be good for his mind and body, but also don't want Djerk and Murray closing in on #2. But a meaningless exho a few days before RG to me is just as good if not better than practice sessions with Luthi and some lower ranked player.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #51
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
So how does one or maybe two exhibition matches (if that's what it is) = a tournament?
That's what they - organization - call it themselves. I'd rather say 'exho matches' myself as well.

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about him skipping MC if all the other big names (sans Roddick) are playing there. Mixed feelings because I want him to get healthy and the time off will be good for his mind and body, but also don't want Djerk and Murray closing in on #2.
Exactly the same here...

Quote:
But a meaningless exho a few days before RG to me is just as good if not better than practice sessions with Luthi and some lower ranked player.
Difference is that this thingie will draw a lot of attention from the media again, and I don't know if one can indeed view this as proper practice. Sounds more like a 'showing off'-kind of occasion to me.
But of course I don't know. It's just my general dislike of players playing exho's while skipping official tournaments that kind of bugs me.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #52
country flag timafi
Banned!

timafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond repute

Blake imo has no business playing there amongst the bunch
timafi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #53
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
It's just my general dislike of players playing exho's while skipping official tournaments that kind of bugs me.
I guess for me it's one thing if it's an exho over several days that ends up looking just like a tournament. But if it's a one or two day hit and giggle it doesn't bother me so much. Plus I've yet to see an 'exho' that Roger or Nadal have particiapted in that didn't end up being somewhat serious.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #54
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV View Post
To answer the original question - yes he absolutely should.
hey, MariaV, what are you doing here and why do you want Rogi to skip the clay season this year? you have to back up your reply!

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #55
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogiFan88 View Post
hey, MariaV, what are you doing here and why do you want Rogi to skip the clay season this year? you have to back up your reply!
Nice to see you here too! I just happened to drop by yesterday.
I thought that with the baby underway maybe he should kinda support Mirka more, and not cause additional trauma to himself with losses on clay.
That's just me.... kidding. I'm sure he'll play on clay if he's healthy.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #56
country flag tufani
Welcome back Paulo

tufani has a reputation beyond reputetufani has a reputation beyond reputetufani has a reputation beyond reputetufani has a reputation beyond reputetufani has a reputation beyond reputetufani has a reputation beyond reputetufani has a reputation beyond reputetufani has a reputation beyond reputetufani has a reputation beyond reputetufani has a reputation beyond reputetufani has a reputation beyond repute

Roger will play Monte Carlo, he received a WC. Source, and also check the tournament's thread.

Allez Les Bleus
tufani is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #57
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufani View Post
Roger will play Monte Carlo, he received a WC. Source, and also check the tournament's thread.
And I am going.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #58
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

There is a note on rf.com from Roger that he has indeed accepted a wild card for Monte Carlo.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #59
country flag yanchr

yanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond repute

What is with his decision to be in Monte-Carlo? Is he thinking of getting back No.1? Is he thinking of winning RG? He should forget about both under the current circumstances. Is he desperate to be back on court and prove sth? Then he really doesn't have to. If his back is still not back to 100% (which looked like it in Miami), he should take enough rest to heal his back. The realistic thing is really to focus on Wimbledon this year. I don't quite understand his decision here. Not to say another exhibition before RG? Good for the tournaments and the fans who are going though.
yanchr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #60
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, bonne chance in Monte Carlo! Have fun, Roger. I'll be cheering for you once more.

Luna

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote