2009 Chameleon Hardcourt Season Thread [Part I] - Page 199 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #2971
country flag gambit84

gambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 Chameleon Hardcourt Season Thread: Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eimear O'Mahony View Post
Can I just say one thing? I think its incredibly hypocritical for you to take offence to the word idiot when you seem to have no problem in making racist remarks towards other people. As Xavier said it is impossible for you NOT to have known the connotation of the word monkey. Its something we see on a daily basis on football pitches

pity, I have never seen a football match /except some because really forced to) in my life...so what? I'm apologizing for my ignorance and you judging me for being hypocritical and racist?
u know, world is strange, some people dislike Tsonga and football and could be that ignorant to not know the meaning of same basis, Do have I to be sorry for that? Ok, let's be..Luckily there are people who know everything and can judge over all
Even if somethign could be extremely obvious you have no reason to assume that everyone know and act intentionally concerning that

you explained me the reason of that bad rep (for me at the beginning really absurd), ok the reason are those and the bad rep is right, but I did not do it intentionally (because if you say I'm hypocritical you mean exactly this and that I just said something after to save my reputation, just the opposite I really did imo) so I'm sorry if I'm still bothering the board with this topic but I had to make clear this last point

and with this last message I'm over it
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #2972
country flag rtgy

rtgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: 2009 Chameleon Hardcourt Season Thread: Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keijan View Post
Of course, what was I thinking. He was obviously giving him affectionate pet names.
By the way, where did you see we felt like we were insulted ?
that's ridiculous

Quote:
Absolutely. And I count Eimear, myself and everyone who agreed with us in that "everyone". Don't you ?
no I don't

Quote:
I don't have anything against you, Yavor. Let's close this subject.
I don't like the way you all stand against Raf, this here is Gillou's forum and Raf is here from a long time ago. I simply can't accept that you/all/ start to blaming him to be racist........that's truly disgust me!
no hard feelings: Yavor
rtgy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #2973
country flag rtgy

rtgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: 2009 Chameleon Hardcourt Season Thread: Miami

Quote:
Shit Marion I'm so stupid. Here we were thinking he was being racist and he was just giving him affectionate names. D'oh!!! It all makes sense now

Old 04-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #2974
country flag rtgy

Thumbs up Re: 2009 Chameleon Hardcourt Season Thread: Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit84 View Post
pity, I have never seen a football match /except some because really forced to) in my life...so what? I'm apologizing for my ignorance and you judging me for being hypocritical and racist?
u know, world is strange, some people dislike Tsonga and football and could be that ignorant to not know the meaning of same basis, Do have I to be sorry for that? Ok, let's be..Luckily there are people who know everything and can judge over all
Even if somethign could be extremely obvious you have no reason to assume that everyone know and act intentionally concerning that

you explained me the reason of that bad rep (for me at the beginning really absurd), ok the reason are those and the bad rep is right, but I did not do it intentionally (because if you say I'm hypocritical you mean exactly this and that I just said something after to save my reputation, just the opposite I really did imo) so I'm sorry if I'm still bothering the board with this topic but I had to make clear this last point

and with this last message I'm over it
well said

Raf
Old 04-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #2975
country flag tedlesurfeur

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Some of your comments were unacceptable and I agree with the person who bad repped you. You might want to watch your tongue next time. A lot of people here like Jo too, but even if they didn't, this kind of comment about another player are not to be tolerated.
I don't see how Monkey is an insult? Raffaele has nothing personal against Tsonga. Furthermore, I'm half black and I'm a friend of his, and I don't think racism is at stake here.

I think some people are too touchy or they should think before taking for granted that such remarks are insulting. It only brings a poor mood in here.

Last edited by tedlesurfeur : 04-03-2009 at 08:56 PM.
tedlesurfeur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #2976

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The person who bad repped you was right Gambit. What kind of an idiot are you? To say that you weren't being racist by calling someone a ... I'm not even going to repeat the word ... which is one of the most insulting terms you can use (as well as one of the most racist) and then you go and requote the post just to hammer home the point and allow people who haven't seen it before see it. My finger is hovering very closely to the bad-rep button and I've a good mind to report you for racism
you and I are the same age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelle86 View Post
very well said, in fact this kind of comments should be removed or deleted.
and we should live in a totally controled society, right??
I can't believe you're judging without knowing what MEANING a person has given to a word. Words are multidimensional, depending on so many things, like the context, the tone..

My concern is about people like you getting UPSET so FAST and IMPORTANTLY at such trivial remarks. What does it say about you? Can't accept other's opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchett View Post
I was horrified at the use of that m word,and I'm pretty upset too. I won't tolerate that kind of remark. Raf you crossed the line...please...be very careful in future. In the circumstances you did deserve the bad rep. We're very reasonable,nice people
I disagree, Di, but hey, go bad rep as much as you like..
Old 04-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #2977

Quote:
Yes, I am. And from what I can judge, I'm not the only one.

"Monkey" is a sadly commonly used racist term to qualify people with African origins, aka, Black or half Black people. I think I don't need to make a drawing to explain, I'm sure you can get how offensive and insulting it is. When used to designate Tsonga, it can only mean one thing. I don't know the colour of your skin, but if you're Black and people are calling you monkey, I suggest you get offended.

I don't know if he knew what that word meant. If he did, he should definitely get bannish from here. If he didn't, it stays that he insulted a player and this isn't allowed.

We are not mocking him. Just stating the truth.
Oh yeah, like my family would get offended, give me a break. I ALWAYS disagreed with people giving too much importance to these words, because to me, when you call a black person a monkey, it's exactly the same as calling a fat person "fat".
It isn't nice, ok, but since when should it be an insult ??? since when black is insulting??? Next time think about this. Philo 101 for you.

Quote:
Can I just say one thing? I think its incredibly hypocritical for you to take offence to the word idiot when you seem to have no problem in making racist remarks towards other people. As Xavier said it is impossible for you NOT to have known the connotation of the word monkey. Its something we see on a daily basis on football pitches
Except he wrote that UNintentionally, while you wrote it INTENTIONALLY, which, TO ME, is the difference between HIM and YOU. You get that pal ?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #2978
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Where to start????

This seems to have started with an unfortunate choice of words, this is an English language forum with many people posting who might not even have English as a second or third language, or who might need to use an online translator to help them post and I am prepared to believe Raff used the term inadvertently. For the sake of an International community such as US to bump along we have to give each other enough leeway for MISTAKES as they will be made! Raff has apologised for any offence and that is that.

I actually have a whole lot more I could say here but the essence of it is to echo what Di has said and that it's probably better to log off for a bit than post when the red mist descends.

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:25 AM   #2979
country flag port37

port37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 Chameleon Hardcourt Season Thread [Part I]

Thank you Alli

That is exactly what was needed here. People just need to think before they post about whether what they say could be misinterpreted or offensive to others as well as not to simply lash out at people if they do post something that makes you unhappy. It does no one any favours to argue. The last thing any of us want is to make people feel bad in any way when they are hanging out in Gillou's forum. So Alli, come around here more often because the more positive input from lovely people like you the better the overall vibe of the forum will be
Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #2980
country flag rtgy

Lightbulb Re: 2009 Chameleon Hardcourt Season Thread: Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_is_onUSA View Post
It also appears that most forum members who’ve commented on what transpired earlier expressed ideals relating to the importance of respect and maintaining peace. I think that these things are honorable. While I recognize that there are cultural differences in how boundaries are set and conflict is resolved, I’d like to share a few general guidelines that seem to be in line with the ideals of respect and peace:
  • Remember to separate the person from the problematic behavior or comment; Set a boundary about the person’s behavior/comment and not the person.
  • “When you said/did _______________, I felt [insert feeling here such as disrespected, frustrated, shamed, etc.]”

Even though you may feel like saying otherwise - This is generally more effective than statements such as ‘You’re such a jerk, loser, [insert other derogatory terms of choice]’
  • In general, try to remind yourself that the person who’s behavior you are upset with is a human being who is someone’s brother, sister, friend, partner, etc; Essentially the other person is someone who generally does the best he/she knows how at the time and deserves basic respect.
  • And of course, nobody’s perfect; these ‘guidelines’ are hard to follow when you’re angry. With practice, it generally gets easier.
respect

Quote:
I mentioned above that I’ve actively been choosing to hang out here less. The main reason is that it’s been so hard to find the commentary about tennis lately. My general preference is that off-topic commentary or comments that are not presumed to be of general interest to the group should be moved to the chat thread(s). Also, I admit that I’ve been hanging around less because the discussion seems to become more about sex than about tennis. I realize that there are cultural differences here too, but I think that things have gone overboard for a while. The sexually graphic commentary isn’t something with which I’m interested in engaging/reading for a number of reasons.
I couldn't say it better!!!

Quote:
I certainly don’t mind the witty, semi-covert comments (Example – Les’ style of lusty commentary ).
yes I adore her style
Les

Quote:
I very much enjoy getting to chat with everyone here about Gillou and tennis in general. I think the greatest thing about le poulailler is that it’s an international forum filled with different perspectives. I hope to see everyone over on the Clay Season thread.
I love everyone here but I was deeply hurt by some really bitter reactions lately.

and that is something that I'll never forget......................

Quote:
~The Chameleon Thread ‘host’: signing off.
great job
Old 04-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #2981
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

Alli Totally respect your views,thank you for sharing your thoughts

And Alli,please join us more,I would welcome many more contributions from you Great job,thank you for Part 1 of the Chameleon thread

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL Domi
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #2982
country flag Eimear O'Mahony

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that I have decided to leave the Gilles' forum. I know I've said this before but, however, there has been too much of a lack of disrespect for both myself and Marion and it has made my position as a member of this board untenable. I refuse to believe that Rafa using that term was a case of misunderstanding. That term is a universal racist term and there is no WAY he didn't know what it meant. I will, however, continue to support Gilles and continue to enjoy all the pictures and videos but will no longer be posting. Take care and Allez Gilles forever. Eimear

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Also liking ... LOPEZ, VERDASCOand NADAL

The Adidas Boys - Impossible is Nothing
Eimear O'Mahony is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #2983
country flag isabelle86

isabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond reputeisabelle86 has a reputation beyond repute

Alli, some posters here talked to me very nicely about you, sadly we didn't have the chance to talk yet. I am always waiting for your posts. My apologies if you didn't like some of my posts, I feel very excited to be among others fans of Gilles and looking forward to talk to you. Hope you will come around here more. The forum is much better with you, so please be kind to us, you're a wonderful poster and fan of Gilles.

Eimear, I answered you in another thread. Te lo pido desde lo mas profundo de mi corazon, no te vayas por favor. Me partes el alma. Un abrazo.
isabelle86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #2984
country flag rtgy

Thumbs up Re: 2009 Chameleon Hardcourt Season Thread [Part I]

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelle86 View Post
Alli, some posters here talked to me very nicely about you, sadly we didn't have the chance to talk yet. I am always waiting for your posts. My apologies if you didn't like some of my posts, I feel very excited to be among others fans of Gilles and looking forward to talk to you. Hope you will come around here more. The forum is much better with you, so please be kind to us, you're a wonderful poster and fan of Gilles.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #2985
country flag Keijan

Keijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to say myself that I am also leaving this forum. I never insulted anyone, I always discussed my arguments with people in a calm, and, I hope so, mature way, even when the replies I often got were the opposite of calm and mature.

I don't see what is left for me to discuss with people who don't see anything wrong with racism. What *I* will never forget is seeing fans of Simon insulting one of Gilles' best friends and other fans just moving on without seeing the problem. I'm just so, so strongly disappointed with this forum as a whole.

To end this comment I just wanted to quote the reply of Alexandre Dumas, who had a black grand father, to someone who insulted him about his mixed-race background :

My father was a mulatto, my grandfather was a Negro, and my great grandfather a monkey. You see, Sir, my family starts where yours ends.
Keijan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote