Fed's tears justified? - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Were Fed's tears justifeid?

Yes 201 62.42%
No 121 37.58%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #121
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed's tears justified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotlobbed View Post
i think overall the crying scene brought more drama to tennis, and in conclusion, this is good for tennis, in the end tennis wins, tennis 1 fedal 0
Tennis doesn't win with those awful matches and bullshit scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposa_azul87 View Post
Hi, I am new to the forum but found this topic really interesting. First of all I am a fan of both Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal; and, believe that both are the GOAT where no one at this moment could come close to their achievements. I think Roger tried to hold back his tears, but once tears start to flow its hard to stop them. I honestly feel that he believed he could have beaten Rafa because hc is not Rafa's strongest surface, so he was shocked to see how well he was playing. At the same time however, I do feel Rafa's celebration was subdued due to Roger emotions. If Rafa would have celebrated more outwardly, then people would look at him and go "he's only thinking about himself" or "he has no feeling that Roger was crying". Yeah Roger won 13 GS and people had to sit back and watch him celebrate, but to each his own. If I was playing in a GS final and lost, I would probably be kicking myself in the butt, becaue who knows when you can make it back to the final, even if you are a Federer or Nadal. Criticism could go both ways. Yet you should not be ashamed of feeling angry or crying, and not ashamed of celebrating openly. It all has to do with what is proper at that moment. But hey, people eat up sob stories like hotcakes :-).
Thanks for letting people know you're not a serious fan.

No real tennis fan can be a fan of both players.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #122
country flag Andi-M

Andi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond repute

Roger has def. 13 players in GS finals and I dont remember the celebrations being subdued for any of them most of them have been joyous euphoric occasions particularly his Wimbledon wins.

Those 13 oppenant probably wanted to cry their hearts out more than anything losing a GS final must hurt like hell yet they may have shed a tear or 2 but did not in anyway detract from the winners presentation.

Respect to Rafa for being so understanding of Rogers feelings I know Djokovic for exmaple would have revelled in Feds tears.

So very very proud to be a fan of Mr Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Double Grand slam champion. Olympic Gold Medalist. Holder of 9 Masters 1000 events # legend
Andi-M is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #123
country flag Crazy Girl

Crazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igaarg View Post
Crying at an appropiate time? How is that? "I feel bad but I better cry later in my hotel room".

You know...At this point you can place me in every "position" you like.

Also the little sheep (or doggy-style). As you prefer, Olderer.
Crazy Girl is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #124
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
I haven't see that kind of emotional breakdown at a trophy ceremony since Jana Novotna lost to Steffi Graf when she melted down after a set up and serving to go up 5-1.

And yeah, I agree that probably Federer didn't want to humiliate himself in public like that, but still.... He's beaten ever so many people at slams and in slam finals too. I'm sure they wanted it just as badly as he wanted it today, however they managed to remain gracious in defeat. If any one of his opponents in a grand slam final had broken down like Federer did today, I'm sure that they would have been laughed at by most of the posters here. Maybe he couldn't help it, but how is it that others do manage, but he can't? Also, why is it that when Federer cries, it's somehow evidence of just how wonderful he is when those same posters would have laughed at Andy if he had broken down after his bitter losses to Federer at Wimbledon?

When he beat Nadal at Wimbledon the year before last, Nadal wept bitterly in the locker room, but managed to be gracious at the victory ceremony. I'd like for Nadal for once be able to be happy at a slam victory ceremony rather than having to be tiptoeing around Federer's feelings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Seahorse View Post
This is a tough one.

Clearly Federer was not deliberately trying to steal Nadal's moment. He cried because he couldn't control himself. No doubt Federer will be quite embarressed by his actions when he looks back them. That said, Federer didn't do anything bad or wrong as such. And no, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with showing one's emotions.

However, I have to say Federer's outburst did reveal some serious shortcomings in the Federer psyche. It is very clear, Federer derives a huge amount of his self-worth by his success. This is fine and dandy when Federer is winning everything but when he isn't it's not surprising Federer struggles to cope. I think there is a real danger Federer could end up suffering with severe depression when his career ends.

Nadal in contrast, is an altogether much more mature individual. I found some of the quotes from his winning interview very telling. "When you win an important match, but you have to know before the match who you are and after the match you have to know who you are, too. You are the same, no?" This pretty much sums up Nadal's attitude to the sport and it also goes a long way towards explaining why Nadal is so mentally strong. Nadal's self worth is not connected to whether or not he wins tennis matches. Nadal is okay with himself regardless. All he asks of himself is that he gives it everything on the court. If after that he loses, fine. Unlike Federer, Nadal's self esteem isn't linked to whether or not he wins. This means Nadal is able to play tennis far more fearlessly and with far less pressure on his shoulders than does Federer. Nadal is better at focusing on each and every point without distractions that probably any player of his generation and probably a few generations before him. Unlike Federer, who has loads of profession goals that he feels a need to achieve, Nadal's appears to play with only one goal, simply to be the best he can be at that moment. Is it any wonder Nadal is stronger than Federer mentally and indeed emotionally. And after today's events it is very hard to see this changing.

So yeah, I guess one can justify Roger's behavior, given that it reflects that Roger is not the most emotionally mature of players, it could hardly be considered surprising. But truthfully I do feel a bit sorry for Federer, not because he lost but because clearly he has some serious self esteem issues that will need to be addressed if he doesn't want to escape serious depression down the road.
Two great posts, that I agree with most of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChopin View Post
Take off those rose glasses Seahorse: Nadal is being honest, but it's easy to say this when you win. Was he saying this to himself in the Wimbledon ('07) showers while crying to himself.
I'm pretty sure he would have been, MrChopin. He is a very level headed boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi-M View Post
Respect to Rafa for being so understanding of Rogers feelings I know Djokovic for exmaple would have revelled in Feds tears.
I highly doubt Djokovic would delight in Federer's tears. Maybe he wouldn't have dealt with it the way Rafa did, because he and Federer have a different relationship, but I think you are wrong to assume he would somehow enjoy Federer's obvious distress.
l_mac is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #125
country flag xargon

xargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
also the constant "goes" he's having at other players.
Yes, I am sure Murray and Djok are enjoying the show, since he always criticizes them. Federer always celebrated with gusto and prevented Rafa from doing the same. Selfish and insecure.

PS
You can cry for joy but not whine in a loss when you are 27 and already have 13.
xargon is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #126
country flag luie

luie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Tennis doesn't win with those awful matches and bullshit scenes.

Thanks for letting people know you're not a serious fan.

No real tennis fan can be a fan of both players.
Glen what's up. You seem to be taking rafa victory better than I expected.
luie is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #127
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by luie View Post
Do you really think so?

Maybe it's because I don't give a flying f***.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #128
country flag swebright

swebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond repute

It is more because all the hype + Roger's dreams are crashing down too soon and too quick. OK, we don't need to go over the top and say Rafa will win grand slams for 2 straight years and break the 13 slam record by end of 2010.

But let's wait and see how Nadal can hold up to for the years. I don't think he can be this strong starting 2010. Rafa's been playing at top level since 19; he can't hold on that much. Nothing against him. The those coming up are wimps, compared to these two champs.

I want Roger to come out and swing fiercelessly. He should keep the mind set of I am going to loose anyway; but I am going to swing wild. [/i][/b]
swebright is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #129
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by luie View Post

He so isn't.
l_mac is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #130
country flag luie

luie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Do you really think so?

Maybe it's because I don't give a flying f***.
Well yea compared to Wilberdon last year I'd say your are behaving quite civil.
luie is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #131
country flag Forehander

Forehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should start a poll on this board to see who thinks male sex shedding tears is wrong.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:56 PM   #132
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

I said before that Federer reminds me of Michael Jackson - considers himself royalty, so naturally plays tennis with the Emperor of Japan and then simply must have a Japanese toilet installed in his house in Switzerland, because the one in his Tokyo hotel was such fun to sit on. Like a throne.
And remember the Wimbledon jackets with the ''royal'' coat-of-arms on the pocket!

Today I got the feeling he was sobbing because the king of tennis wants more slam titles than anybody else and his subjects are not bowing to his wish. He was really looking forward to being worshipped by the royal court of past tennis greats in attendance. Now Rafa has won a slam on all three surfaces and Federer can't do that.

He was quick to mock Djokovic for not being able to finish a match. Today I thought Rafa should have turned to him and said, ''Grow up, get over it.!!!!!! I'm the new king and it's good to be the king.''

Last edited by buddyholly : 02-02-2009 at 12:03 AM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #133
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi-M View Post
Roger has def. 13 players in GS finals and I dont remember the celebrations being subdued for any of them most of them have been joyous euphoric occasions particularly his Wimbledon wins.

Those 13 oppenant probably wanted to cry their hearts out more than anything losing a GS final must hurt like hell yet they may have shed a tear or 2 but did not in anyway detract from the winners presentation.

Exactly!

Federer has never been a player to show empathy or humility in his victories.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #134
country flag Andi-M

Andi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehander View Post
Maybe I should start a poll on this board to see who thinks male sex shedding tears is wrong.
Totally not the point. Men cry its great it means they have a heart.

So very very proud to be a fan of Mr Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Double Grand slam champion. Olympic Gold Medalist. Holder of 9 Masters 1000 events # legend
Andi-M is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #135
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehander View Post
It is not wrong when a man sheds tears for someone else's misfortune. It is pathetic when he only has tears for himself.