Fed's tears justified? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Were Fed's tears justifeid?

Yes 201 62.42%
No 121 37.58%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #31
country flag Stefwhit

Stefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed's tears justified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biological View Post
a temper tantrum?! he was distraught. he had just battled for over 4 hours against his biggest rival in front of his idol, and had lost. he knew that all the criticism he had managed to deflect after the USO would come flooding back, and he would have to face endless comments about the end of his career and the start of a decline.
and he's not allowed to cry?

I don't understand your view at all.
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest he had a temper tantrum, because obviously that was far from the case. I only mentioned that to show a glimpse into the character of Roger. A person who can't deal with their anger is also a person who can't deal with their emotions. That's the only thing I was getting at by bringing that up.

You kinda get at my point as to why I don't respect those kinds of tears. Like you said he knows the criticism is on it's way and all the chatter is about to ensue- so what does he do to combat it all? Breaks down and cries Fed simply can't deal and it's quite sad, IMO.

He's allowed his tears and if he couldn't help, then he couldn't help it- but you have to realize that their are other people out their who interpret his tears the way that I do- and just because you and I don't agree, it doesn't mean I'm wrong for feeling the way I do about his tears.

Quote:
I don't agree. When you work hard for something and give it all you got, it hurts like hell if you fail. I haven't been to a GS final, but I can imagine how he felt.
I'm not disagreeing that it hurts like hell and that the temptation to cry is real. I know it is, but in my view, crying like that is a sign of him not being a good sport. Again, he can dish it but he can't take it.

Quote:
LOL. You think being a match away from an historical achievement and fulfilling a dream that he has had since he first started playing tennis is comparable to a game of monopoly?
It's all relative actually. To that 10 year old boy winning that game of monopoly probably is just a big deal as Fed making history. And if you're comparing life events, when it's all said and done it's only a tennis match- was it really worthy of those crocodile tears?
Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #32
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

heh heh... a living hall of legends were watching... like.. laver... a living breathing tennis god... standing right by... i wonder how they may have reacted whilst on the edge of 14...? who could know... their era was forever f***ed by the professional split....

the saltwater only adds to nadal's acheivement via the mental breakage that began to show just beyond the wimbledon ceremony, but was fully sealed on the other side of the planet around about half a year later...

there is nothing wrong with watching a man break in two...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #33
country flag KarlyM

KarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond repute

Justified??? I am a fan of both and to me, he was obviously distraught since he lost another GS final to Nadal (plus it was close like the last one at Wimbledon). This match was supposedly "in the bag" for Fed because of Nadal's long SF match and Fed had more time to rest, and Fed looked better in his QF and SF matches. I think pressure had been building up on Fed after the USO - failing to win at Madrid, Paris and TMC; losing to Murray 3 times, plus going 0-4 against Nadal previously in 2008. Then being written off by nearly everyone and feeling like he had to prove himself by winning at AO. All of this culminated into a lot of mental fatigue in the final and he buckled when Nadal kept fighting harder and harder during the match. He was frustrated, upset, and disappointed (and probably embarrassed, too) that he lost.

Fed did a pretty good job keeping it in after the Wimbledon final, but this loss was probably just too much for him. I don't believe he did this on purpose to ruin Rafa's moment and have people feel sorry for him. You could see when he tried to start his speech that he was trying to hold it in but couldn't. He also seemed to insist that he speak before Rafa (after Rafa received his trophy and gave him a hug) because the runner-up should speak first - and he kept his speech short to get out of the way.
KarlyM is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #34
country flag Jade Fox

Jade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be that people critisized Roger for NOT showing his emotions on court or at trophy presentations. He was often called a robot for it.

And now he shows genuine emotion at a Slam trophy presentation, the first time he's done so in three years and he's getting hate for that as well.

I guess he just can never win with some people.

The side pieces
The Sweet but Dopey Argentine
The Bulgarian Headcase
That Douche from Australia

And when the daylight's fading we're gonna play in the dark til it's golden again
Jade Fox is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #35
martinatreue

martinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond repute

Wow there really are some very JUDGMENTAL, HEARTLESS people in this thread. Rafa had compassion for Roger and yet so many of his fans cannot. How shameful. How someone's heart could not go out to Roger is beyond belief to me. The tears were real and his heart is beautiful. He is a sensitive man who wears his joy and sadness on his sleeve and that is threatening to some people in here. I think you are just very uncomfortable with a man showing his vulnerabilities. Basically you are a bunch of insensitive macho types who cannot allow A MAN to show his heart. How disgusting and pathetic of you! Both Roger and Rafa are infinitely classier than you heartless Roger bashers!
martinatreue is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #36
martinatreue

martinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlyM View Post
Justified??? I am a fan of both and to me, he was obviously distraught since he lost another GS final to Nadal (plus it was close like the last one at Wimbledon). This match was supposedly "in the bag" for Fed because of Nadal's long SF match and Fed had more time to rest, and Fed looked better in his QF and SF matches. I think pressure had been building up on Fed after the USO - failing to win at Madrid, Paris and TMC; losing to Murray 3 times, plus going 0-4 against Nadal previously in 2008. Then being written off by nearly everyone and feeling like he had to prove himself by winning at AO. All of this culminated into a lot of mental fatigue in the final and he buckled when Nadal kept fighting harder and harder during the match. He was frustrated, upset, and disappointed (and probably embarrassed, too) that he lost.

Fed did a pretty good job keeping it in after the Wimbledon final, but this loss was probably just too much for him. I don't believe he did this on purpose to ruin Rafa's moment and have people feel sorry for him. You could see when he tried to start his speech that he was trying to hold it in but couldn't. He also seemed to insist that he speak before Rafa (after Rafa received his trophy and gave him a hug) because the runner-up should speak first - and he kept his speech short to get out of the way.
You make EXCELLENT and IRREFUTABLE points that the Fed haters will have trouble with. Expect your post to be ignored since the facts that you stated don't support their hatred. Anyone who thinks Roger purposefully tried to take the attention away from Rafa must think that Roger is an incredible actor deserving of an Emmy or Oscar.
martinatreue is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #37
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Fox View Post
It used to be that people critisized Roger for NOT showing his emotions on court or at trophy presentations. He was often called a robot for it.

And now he shows genuine emotion at a Slam trophy presentation, the first time he's done so in three years and he's getting hate for that as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinatreue View Post
Wow there really are some very JUDGMENTAL, HEARTLESS people in this thread. Rafa had compassion for Roger and yet so many of his fans cannot. How shameful. How someone's heart could not go out to Roger is beyond belief to me. The tears were real and his heart is beautiful. He is a sensitive man who wears his joy and sadness on his sleeve and that is threatening to some people in here. I think you are just very uncomfortable with a man showing his vulnerabilities. Basically you are a bunch of insensitive macho types who cannot allow A MAN to show his heart. How disgusting and pathetic of you! Both Roger and Rafa are infinitely classier than you heartless Roger bashers!
partygirl is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #38
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see at as good or bad, just extraordinarily pathetic but understandable.

Justified? Depends. But I saw where the tears came from.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #39
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

maybe he found that he is not number one today...? perhaps it was too much a revelation to handle...?
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #40
country flag the biscuit

the biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have minded him just tearing up but this was too much.

Anyways, they made perezhilton again. I think Perez has got a crush on Rafa.

http://perezhilton.com/2009-02-01-it...-grown-man-cry
the biscuit is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #41
country flag Sean

Sean has a reputation beyond reputeSean has a reputation beyond reputeSean has a reputation beyond reputeSean has a reputation beyond reputeSean has a reputation beyond reputeSean has a reputation beyond reputeSean has a reputation beyond reputeSean has a reputation beyond reputeSean has a reputation beyond reputeSean has a reputation beyond reputeSean has a reputation beyond repute

Utterly pathetic. I am not a fan of Nadal and his style of so-called tennis, but i thought Roger was very childish crying like that. He's a 27 year old man with an a amazing 13 grand slam titles not some 19 year old junior who got to his 1st slam final gave it his all and lost. He really does need to man up.

FC Porto. Arsenal.

Del Potro. Murray. Nalbandian. Soderling. Useless Gil.
Sean is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #42
country flag ServeAlready81

ServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a spoiled 27 year old child!!! A grown ass man can't hold back tears in respect of Rafa's moment? Please, people make so many excuses for this man. He is not the saint everyone makes him out to be.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #43
country flag Svetlana.

Svetlana. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
maybe he found that he is not number one today...? perhaps it was too much a revelation to handle...?
why should it be a Rafa's problem?

Rafa showed class, and Fed did not.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #44
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, I don't think its anything that blurry fc. More like a genuine acknolegment that he's past it. Look, guy's 27,5. if he cant slug it from the baseline against Rafa, he'll charge the net - that doesn't work either... in fact, nothing works and there isn't anything he can do to fix it, or the time for it. It just kinda sunk in I guess.

The fact he was aiming for something, which didn't happen and likely won't happen (14+ Slams) is a testimony to his ambition - for which we can only commend him. I mean if his real attitude was bucks or "wins" or whatever, he wouldnt cry. No, he though he will go for the "legend" status.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #45
country flag 00923

00923 has a reputation beyond repute00923 has a reputation beyond repute00923 has a reputation beyond repute00923 has a reputation beyond repute00923 has a reputation beyond repute00923 has a reputation beyond repute00923 has a reputation beyond repute00923 has a reputation beyond repute00923 has a reputation beyond repute00923 has a reputation beyond repute00923 has a reputation beyond repute

It was understandable, but slightly unfair that it a) made the trophy presentation about him and NOT the actual winner of the match and b) put the winner of the match in an incredibly awkward position. he essentially was made to feel bad for winning.
Closed Thread