Fed's tears justified? - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Were Fed's tears justifeid?

Yes 201 62.42%
No 121 37.58%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #241
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed's tears justified?

watch the last 30 seconds of this Basel final in 2001

look familiar?
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #242
country flag aurora2006

aurora2006 has a reputation beyond reputeaurora2006 has a reputation beyond reputeaurora2006 has a reputation beyond reputeaurora2006 has a reputation beyond reputeaurora2006 has a reputation beyond reputeaurora2006 has a reputation beyond reputeaurora2006 has a reputation beyond reputeaurora2006 has a reputation beyond reputeaurora2006 has a reputation beyond reputeaurora2006 has a reputation beyond reputeaurora2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
I haven't see that kind of emotional breakdown at a trophy ceremony since Jana Novotna lost to Steffi Graf when she melted down after a set up and serving to go up 5-1.

And yeah, I agree that probably Federer didn't want to humiliate himself in public like that, but still.... He's beaten ever so many people at slams and in slam finals too. I'm sure they wanted it just as badly as he wanted it today, however they managed to remain gracious in defeat. If any one of his opponents in a grand slam final had broken down like Federer did today, I'm sure that they would have been laughed at by most of the posters here. Maybe he couldn't help it, but how is it that others do manage, but he can't? Also, why is it that when Federer cries, it's somehow evidence of just how wonderful he is when those same posters would have laughed at Andy if he had broken down after his bitter losses to Federer at Wimbledon?

When he beat Nadal at Wimbledon the year before last, Nadal wept bitterly in the locker room, but managed to be gracious at the victory ceremony. I'd like for Nadal for once be able to be happy at a slam victory ceremony rather than having to be tiptoeing around Federer's feelings.

Well said!
aurora2006 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #243
FedFan

FedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairWeatherFan View Post
The death of tennis is enough reason to cry. Seeing someone with Nadal's limited gamestyle having a realistic chance at winning the grand slam signals this death - decent enough human being Nadal may however be. A player whose style is only brute force, who would not even conceivably be a great player without the gigantic sweet spot on his raquet, triumphs over one of the greatest all-court players and artists tennis has seen.

You could tell by Laver's face that he wasn't happy about Nadal winning. Laver lavishes praise on Federer - since when has he done the same to Nadal? It's like Laver said recently...the artistry has gone out of the sport. Men's tennis is going the way of the women's, just simply clubbing the ball. The only difference is the added topspin. What rubbish professional tennis has become in the space of only ten years.

Why is Roger not allowed to show his feelings? You can not always control your emotion, it is something natural.

Roger is much more sensitive than the raging bull, he is an artist.

But he is more loved by the public, it was clear as water yesterday during the ceremony.
FedFan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #244
country flag morningglory

morningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
watch the last 30 seconds of this Basel final in 2001

look familiar?
A Mickey Mouse final and he cries too? My goodness that's beyond pathetic... And he lost in str8s too.

You'd think he'd have changed a bit after years of dominating the tour... guess not.
morningglory is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #245
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting topic and I believe both points of view have some validity to them.

I found it interesting when some posters suggested the idea that Roger cried because he was unable to catch Sampras' record, and also that Nadal has become a real nightmare for him.

Nadal loves the game for what it is, and like he keeps saying, he'll try his best, and what comes will come.

However, you can't change the way you are. Although to casual outsider seeing Federer cry because he did not achieve his career benchmark may look self absorbed, it is the way he is. He has played tennis all his life and has achieved what few others have, you cannot condemn a guy for crying sincerely after having reached the brink of tennis glory, 14 grand slams.

There is no more merit for Rafa not crying when he loses a slam in front of the crowd as Federer did this time. That's just something inherited by genetics.

I seriously doubt that either of these two players would intentionally try to hurt the other in any way, shape or form.
I'm gonna get me a motor car Maybe a Jaguar Maybe a plane or day of fame I'm gonna be a millionaire So can you take me there? Wanna be wild 'cos my life's so tame Here am I, going nowhere on a train Here am I, growing older in the rain
- "Going Nowhere" Oasis
Pfloyd is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #246
country flag Bazooka

Bazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
It spoiled your moment? I guess you forgot two people play the match, one lost and one won. For Federer it evidently meant more. For Nadal it doesn't matter he can play for another few years at full (or better) health. He will play atleast 12 more grandslams.

For Federer every loss brings him a barrage of haters, a barrage of "he should retire!" and a media journo's giving him pressure. Every loss brings "Federer can't beat Nadal". "Federer too old". "Federer won't break record". "Federer isn't GOAT". To be honest I would cry every time I lost if there was that kind of pressure.
About spoiling my moment, well, was some kind of a joke, but really it was difficult to celebrate anything with a guy crying like a baby just looking at the trophy and sobbing.

Federer has been a crusher of dreams for so many players, that it's absurd to be compassionate about him yesterday. And sorry but you think Nadal will play only 12 more slams? and Federer less? you're very wrong, Roger still has about 20 chances to win, specially Wimbledon and USO. Very likely, in four years he will still be able to reach finals, being 31, and Nadal will have much more trouble.

About pressure... please! all the world is licking his ass! This guy can fart and everybody would say he's better than Mozart! His pee can be bottled and sold for $500 a bottle! He's JesusFed, the GOAT!

Nadal is the one with pressure everyday: he has been called a claycourter, onedimensional, will get injured, has no class, picks ass, makes excuses, likely a doper, a cheater, delays serve... he is the most hated player in this board, and outside too. Yet he's the top sportsman, an example for everyone, and don't forget it, much younger.
Quote:
The inhabitants of the Balearic Islands are said to have been the inventors of slings, and to have managed them with surprising dexterity, owing to the manner of bringing up their children. The children were not allowed to have their food by their mothers till they had first struck it with their sling.
~Vegetius, De Re Militari, late 4th century
Nadal: the last Balearic Slinger, the ultimate product of natural selection. Feel the weight of the centuries in the Topspin from Hell!

Last edited by Bazooka : 02-02-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Bazooka is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #247
country flag FedFan_2007

FedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
About spoiling my moment, well, was some kind of a joke, but really it was difficult to celebrate anything with a guy crying like a baby just looking at the trophy and sobbing.

Federer has been a crusher of dreams for so many players, that it's absurd to be compassionate about him yesterday. And sorry but you think Nadal will play only 12 more slams? and Federer how many? you're very wrong, Roger still has about 20 chances to win, specially Wimbledon and USO. Very likely, in four years he will still be able to reach finals, being 31, and Nadal will have much more trouble.
Ah, so by that logic every time Rafa loses in a GS final I will stomp on the man, kick him while he's down because "crushers of dreams" deserve no compassion. Thanks for showing me "the light".
FedFan_2007 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #248
country flag jcreback

jcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post

Federer has been a crusher of dreams for so many players, that it's absurd to be compassionate about him yesterday. And sorry but you think Nadal will play only 12 more slams? and Federer how many? you're very wrong, Roger still has about 20 chances to win, specially Wimbledon and USO. Very likely, in four years he will still be able to reach finals, being 31, and Nadal will have much more trouble.
If it is a good rivalry, you should enjoy it even more as a Nadal supporter. I would love to see my rival crying because I beat him. Even as a fan, if I see a fan or player from the other team crying, I love it even more.
Champion: 2009: Como CH; 2010: Napoli CH; 2011: French Open
Finalist: 2010: Ostrava CH, Braunschweig CH
TT Doubles:
Champion: 2008: Como CH (w/hahaha7), Tashkent CH (w/Adder A216); 2009: Jersey CH (w/Adder A216); 2010: Caltanissetta CH (w/Adder A216); Athens CH (w/Adder A216); Milan CH (w/Adder A216); Napoli CH (w/Adder A216); Orleans CH (w/Adder A216)); 2011: Meknes CH (w/Adder A216)
Finalist: 2008: Tulsa CH (w/hahaha7); 2009: Wolfsburg CH (w/EnriqueIG8), Manerbio CH (w/dusan1610); Como CH (w/Adder A216); Champaign CH (w/Adder A216); 2010: Ostrava CH (w/Adder A216); Aptos CH (w/Exponente); Binghamton CH (w/Adder A216); 2011: Dallas CH (w/Adder A216)
jcreback is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #249
country flag Minerva

Minerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcreback View Post
I would love to see my rival crying because I beat him. Even as a fan, if I see a fan or player from the other team crying, I love it even more.
You have a point here. That is why, though I don't doubt that Nadal was trying to do the right thing when he was comforting Federer, I'm sure Nadal had to be enjoying that moment. I would!
Minerva is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #250
country flag jcreback

jcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond reputejcreback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
You have a point here. That is why, though I don't doubt that Nadal was trying to do the right thing when he was comforting Federer, I'm sure Nadal had to be enjoying that moment. I would!
Oh yeah, not necessarily on Nadal's end. But if I was a Nadal fan and saw Fed cry like that, I would be laughing my ass of and loving it, not feeling like it ruined Nadal's moment.

Nadal had to be thinking at that moment, "He is mine. I own him"
Champion: 2009: Como CH; 2010: Napoli CH; 2011: French Open
Finalist: 2010: Ostrava CH, Braunschweig CH
TT Doubles:
Champion: 2008: Como CH (w/hahaha7), Tashkent CH (w/Adder A216); 2009: Jersey CH (w/Adder A216); 2010: Caltanissetta CH (w/Adder A216); Athens CH (w/Adder A216); Milan CH (w/Adder A216); Napoli CH (w/Adder A216); Orleans CH (w/Adder A216)); 2011: Meknes CH (w/Adder A216)
Finalist: 2008: Tulsa CH (w/hahaha7); 2009: Wolfsburg CH (w/EnriqueIG8), Manerbio CH (w/dusan1610); Como CH (w/Adder A216); Champaign CH (w/Adder A216); 2010: Ostrava CH (w/Adder A216); Aptos CH (w/Exponente); Binghamton CH (w/Adder A216); 2011: Dallas CH (w/Adder A216)
jcreback is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #251
country flag AlexBogdanovic

AlexBogdanovic has a reputation beyond reputeAlexBogdanovic has a reputation beyond reputeAlexBogdanovic has a reputation beyond reputeAlexBogdanovic has a reputation beyond reputeAlexBogdanovic has a reputation beyond reputeAlexBogdanovic has a reputation beyond reputeAlexBogdanovic has a reputation beyond reputeAlexBogdanovic has a reputation beyond reputeAlexBogdanovic has a reputation beyond reputeAlexBogdanovic has a reputation beyond reputeAlexBogdanovic has a reputation beyond repute

Fed is a baby.
AlexBogdanovic is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #252
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

Aenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond repute

To me the entire trophy ceremony was full with low moments. First they brought to the stadium Rod Laver and all four players he defeated in the finals to complete his GS. It looked like "See this is our great champion and those 4 are the poor runner-ups who contributed to his fame by being defeated" All 4 of them didn't look happy a bit. Now imagine Nadal completes a GS be it a career not calendar one and after 30-40 years some organizers make the same ceremony - they bring Federer on court and announce "See here is Nadal the great champion and here is our proud runner-up who was beaten 3 times in a row by our champion in GS finals". What do you think would that be right? It would be a fact but an embarrassing moment nevertheless. Well after that the presenter seeing Federer burst into tears maybe willing to comfort him announced "Roger is everybody's favorite" Yeah right, take half of the world out and you might be right.

I would prefer Federer has contained himself though. When you return to the locker room cry if you like, brake something if that will help you but when on court during the ceremony just clench your teeth and smile. It seems Roger isn't that type of a man.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #253
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Wah wah I can't beat Rafa
Wah wah Mirka is fat and ugly
Wah Wah I cant win clayles GS anymore

Reminds me of Fed in 07 wimbly sobbing alout about Rafas forehand "keeeling him". Now the loss is "keeling him".

When did he become such a basket case?
2003 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #254
country flag Minerva

Minerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenea View Post
I would prefer Federer has contained himself though. When you return to the locker room cry if you like, brake something if that will help you but when on court during the ceremony just clench your teeth and smile. It seems Roger isn't that type of a man.
Or maybe he was just in that time of the month?
Minerva is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #255
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

Aenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
Or maybe he was just in that time of the month?
Watch the vid Corey Feldman has provided