Fed's tears justified? - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Were Fed's tears justifeid?

Yes 201 62.42%
No 121 37.58%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 PM   #136
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed's tears justified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
Would Rogi have the same thought for Rafa's feelings? Unlikely.
yeah... but, who else has he got besides...? who else is not gonna retire and go toe to toe with nadal in a final...? roger is all nadal has for greatness... and rafa is exposing the mug era for what it is... was...

after Mcenroe took Borg's sh!t, Borg retired...

heh heh... Borg... what a pussy...

i gues i s'pose thats what happens when you hold it all in...

Rog'll be ok after he blows his nose...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #137
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by luie View Post
Well yea compared to Wilberdon last year I'd say your are behaving quite civil.
Tennis is gone already... there's nothing to weep about.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #138
country flag Luso

Luso has a reputation beyond reputeLuso has a reputation beyond reputeLuso has a reputation beyond reputeLuso has a reputation beyond reputeLuso has a reputation beyond reputeLuso has a reputation beyond reputeLuso has a reputation beyond reputeLuso has a reputation beyond reputeLuso has a reputation beyond reputeLuso has a reputation beyond reputeLuso has a reputation beyond repute

Well, i think that, like in the last time he won in Australia, his behaviour just shows how much he is attached to the historic meaning of a GS final, and specially with the presence of Rod Laver, and the other champions on court to honour the new champions (him).
I believe also that he feels humble in the presence of the former champions
That factor made the disappointment to much to handle, and perhaps it hurted him during the last set.
Luso is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #139
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

nice avvy gu... best volley i seen all week...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #140
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Federer needs to stop acting like such a diva bitch. He'll never beat Nadal with his current attitude.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 AM   #141
country flag luie

luie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Tennis is gone already... there's nothing to weep about.
I guess you are right I expected the young guns Murray & novak to step up but it seems that all nadal has for competion is an old man with mental scars.
luie is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #142
country flag fast_clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luso View Post
Well, i think that, like in the last time he won in Australia, his behaviour just shows how much he is attached to the historic meaning of a GS final, and specially with the presence of Rod Laver, and the other champions on court to honour the new champions (him).
I believe also that he feels humble in the presence of the former champions
That factor made the disappointment to much to handle, and perhaps it hurted him during the last set.
probably closer to the truth than you'd think... fed really should've stayed away from the history books... couple of consecutive 5 set grand slam finals... then, to find out you are not the Hardcourt Hero you you had imagined you were... tough to have the make believe world you had built undressed...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #143
country flag Farenhajt

Farenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa now has an excellent shot at taking the Career Slam, while Roger still has to cope with Roland Garros, and he's not getting any younger or fitter (Rafa taking USO now seems much more likely than Federer taking RG) - and after last year's Wimbledon, even the Calendar Slam doesn't look farfetched.

Those tears were just an official statement for the fans: "Though I still might be good for a decent while, the legend IS finished."
Old 02-02-2009, 12:29 AM   #144
country flag Igaarg

Igaarg has a reputation beyond reputeIgaarg has a reputation beyond reputeIgaarg has a reputation beyond reputeIgaarg has a reputation beyond reputeIgaarg has a reputation beyond reputeIgaarg has a reputation beyond reputeIgaarg has a reputation beyond reputeIgaarg has a reputation beyond reputeIgaarg has a reputation beyond reputeIgaarg has a reputation beyond reputeIgaarg has a reputation beyond repute

Celebrating more or less was Rafa´s choice, not Federer fault. He was trying not to cry but the ovation and people showing love and respect to Roger, next to Laver and the other guys, it was very emotional.
Roger shows respect to their rivals, I don´t know if you remember his match against Del Potro, Fed was very cute with the guy.
And is another factor, the record thing, is too much pressure, Nadal didn´t had that extra and Roger couldn´t handle that. When you are that close to something you really desire, it´s very regular to fail. Maybe Roger wasn´t prepare yet for the record.
Whatever happens, he is one of the best of tennis history, while we are here, posting in this forum, when we aren´t even in734534543593487356485694386753456354643 place of the atp ranking.
Igaarg is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #145
country flag foolish pleasure

foolish pleasure has a reputation beyond reputefoolish pleasure has a reputation beyond reputefoolish pleasure has a reputation beyond reputefoolish pleasure has a reputation beyond reputefoolish pleasure has a reputation beyond reputefoolish pleasure has a reputation beyond reputefoolish pleasure has a reputation beyond reputefoolish pleasure has a reputation beyond reputefoolish pleasure has a reputation beyond reputefoolish pleasure has a reputation beyond reputefoolish pleasure has a reputation beyond repute

wow....

just....

wow.

MTF is full of some really nasty, mean-spirited, hateful, bitchy-ass people is all i can say. i feel sorry for rafa, he must be ashamed to attract such god-awful fans...

i miss the days before tennis forums when i was deluded by ignorance into believing that we were a better sort than most sports fans...
foolish pleasure is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #146
country flag mariposa_azul87

mariposa_azul87 has a reputation beyond reputemariposa_azul87 has a reputation beyond reputemariposa_azul87 has a reputation beyond reputemariposa_azul87 has a reputation beyond reputemariposa_azul87 has a reputation beyond reputemariposa_azul87 has a reputation beyond reputemariposa_azul87 has a reputation beyond reputemariposa_azul87 has a reputation beyond reputemariposa_azul87 has a reputation beyond reputemariposa_azul87 has a reputation beyond reputemariposa_azul87 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolish pleasure View Post
wow....

just....

wow.

MTF is full of some really nasty, mean-spirited, hateful, bitchy-ass people is all i can say. i feel sorry for rafa, he must be ashamed to attract such god-awful fans...

i miss the days before tennis forums when i was deluded by ignorance into believing that we were a better sort than most sports fans...
here here!!!
mariposa_azul87 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #147
Jagermeister

Jagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond repute

I think Roger's tears were justified. Who's to say that emotions need to be justified?

I was a bit annoyed with him when he cried because it was taking away from Rafa enjoying his moment. But now I'm just mostly embarrassed for him.

And let's not fool ourselves. If the roles were reversed, Federer fans would be talking smack about Nadal and Nadal fans would be calling them heartless. It's a perpetual circle jerk here at MTF.
Jagermeister is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #148
country flag FedFan_2007

FedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Well well, it sure didn't take long for the long knives to come out. None of you will achieve 0.1% of Federer's greatness and you presume to judge the man's few shed tears in the face of a soul-crushing loss. Pure haters, there is no other explanation.
FedFan_2007 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #149
country flag WhataQT

WhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond repute

Updated: February 1, 2009
This one stings for Federer

By Bonnie D. Ford
ESPN.com

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Rafael Nadal punched the pause button on Roger Federer's bid to make history Sunday, but no one should overlook how much history of his own he made in the process.

Before Sunday's Australian Open final, it seemed ludicrous to imagine that any match could be a worthy sequel to their last meeting in the 2008 Wimbledon final. But moments after the second consecutive five-set classic between the two ended 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (3), 3-6, 6-2 in Nadal's favor, making him the first Spanish player to win the event, the greater significance of the moment crystallized.

Three years have passed since Federer wept for joy on this very court when he received the champion's trophy from the legendary Rod Laver. On Sunday, Federer wept with disappointment at seeing another major slip away, leaving him still ringing Pete Sampras' doorbell, one short of the American's record of 14 Grand Slam titles.

"I think this was a tougher beat than Wimbledon," ESPN analyst Brad Gilbert said. "[Nadal] was completely out of gas, but he found a way to the finish line. Incredible. He has so much fight.

"Wimbledon was gut-wrenching, but [Federer] won the Olympic doubles and the U.S. Open and salvaged his year. This one stings more because it was the first of the year. It was going to re-energize him. Now he's lost five out of seven majors to his greatest rival."

Federer, 27, had three Slams in his pocket before his 23rd birthday. Nadal, who will turn 23 in June, already has twice that many, and if his body can withstand the spin-cycle pounding he puts it through, he appears capable of repeating the French Open-Wimbledon double in the future, a difficult feat he pulled off last year.

The younger man's first Slam title on hard court sharpens the picture in the collective viewfinder: Two men edging along the tightrope of their rivalry toward the inevitable tipping point where one starts to wobble and the other steps around him. It's not always a function of age, although that's clearly in the mix, and it doesn't always tip permanently. But this four-hour, 23-minute slugfest had the feel of a critical juncture.

Nadal-Federer replay
The stage was set for the world's top two players to collide once again in a Grand Slam final. Watch world No. 1 Rafael Nadal and 13-time Grand Slam winner Roger Federer battle for five dramatic sets Down Under. Replay

"There's huge collateral damage to this match," commentator Justin Gimelstob said. "There's no barrier that hasn't been broken now. There's just no telling what [Nadal] can do if his body holds up."

Nadal said he, too, teared up late in the match as emotion washed through him, and he looked stricken when Federer broke down during the postmatch ceremony. Classy as ever, Nadal embraced the man viewed as invincible for so long. "Everything was very special,'' Nadal said. "Sorry was tough moment for Rog today. I know how tough must be there in important situation from him. But, you know, no, he's a great champion. He's the best. And he's, for sure, very important person for our sport, no?

"So sorry for him, but at the same time congratulate him for everything."

Federer's inconsistent first serve -- its accuracy dipped to 37 percent in the second set, which he somehow found a way to win -- and struggle to convert break points were the biggest differences between the two on paper, ultimately undermining his 71 winners. He double-faulted to end the third-set tiebreaker in anticlimactic fashion, and did it again to help set up the break point that put him behind 3-1 in the fifth set and broke his spirit. But this match was won by Nadal, not lost by Federer, by virtue of superior mental toughness, improbable digs on the run and whistling groundstrokes that bend both physics and belief.

No. 2 Federer and No. 1 Nadal have now met seven times in Grand Slam finals, tying the ancient record set by Bill Tilden and William Johnston after World War I. But this marked the first time Federer was the lower-ranked player and had to stride down the hallway toward the tunnel entrance first, feeling Nadal's eyes on his back.

Federer had won three of the previous five matches on hard court, but they'd never faced off in a hard-court Slam. Leading up to the match, speculation focused on whether Nadal could recover from his five-hour-plus sprint against Fernando Verdasco in the semifinal, especially because Federer had had an extra day of rest.

U.S. Davis Cup captain and ESPN analyst Patrick McEnroe, who will guide his team against a Federer-led Swiss squad in next month's first-round encounter, was one of several observers who renewed the suggestion that Federer may need a full-time coach to help him solve the riddle Nadal poses.

McEnroe isn't nearly ready to say Federer is on the south side of his career, but he said his game plan and positioning were too predictable against Nadal, especially on return games.

"He succumbed to the pressure, for whatever reason," McEnroe said of Federer's loss of momentum in the fifth set. "Obviously, the guy's in his head. That's pretty clear at this point.

"The problem for him is that he's never had to really adjust to anything. He's always been so good and so talented, he could just rely on his game and kind of figure it out when he gets out there. All of a sudden, he's playing a guy he can't do that against. … He doesn't get on top of the guy when he's down, and he thought he was going to go away physically."

Former Swedish great Mats Wilander was even more emphatic, saying the rivalry tipped to Nadal's advantage "a long time ago."

"After [last year's] French Open, you knew it was going to take a lot to beat Nadal on any surface, because of the mental block [Federer] has," Wilander said. "I mean, there's something wrong, for sure. It seems like it's time to get a coach. He needs to explore more avenues than he has."

Depleted by then-undiagnosed mononucleosis, Federer still made it to the semifinals here last year. He declared then that his excellence during the previous four seasons had created a "monster" of cumulative expectations that were weighing him down. That burden seemed to get lighter when he won the U.S. Open in the fall, but it has been replaced.

Nadal is the fire-breathing beast keeping Federer from the treasure he wants now, not some intangible standard.

"I'm still surprised how quickly the mood swings with the media, with the fans, with everybody," Federer said earlier in the tournament. "You don't lose your edge that quickly. It's just not possible. I know I'm playing well. I feel good. I know sometimes you can always run into a player that's hot and you can lose."

Well, now he has. "Maybe I'll try again later," a gutted Federer told the crowd Sunday as he backed away from the microphone at center court, clutching the silver plate awarded to the tournament runner-up, temporarily unable to finish his remarks. The tearful comment is a promise. This proud and gracious player hasn't been pushed off the high wire by any means, but this match showed more than any other that he's going to have his hands full keeping his balance.

Bonnie D. Ford covers tennis and Olympic sports for ESPN.com. She can be reached at bonniedford@aol.com.
WhataQT is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-02-2009, 01:39 AM   #150
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenanun View Post
hm... roger was just thinking about himself all the time. he should have just congratulated rafa and then cried like hell in the locker room like what he did in wimbledon.
instead he behaved like a spoilt kid.. so selfish....

nevermind, this is who roger is. he couldn't handle loss in a hc slam to rafa

rafa looked embarrassed and felt sorry for winning...

i feel sorry for rafa
I was rooting for Rafa ,however, I do not think Roger was crying because he lost. He was responding to the glowing statement by the Presenter and the Crowd reaction. It was obvious to me, during the match, that most of the crowd was rooting for Roger to win.
thrust is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread