Post AO Season Thread 2009 - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #91
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post AO Season Thread 2009

7:6 6:2
oranges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #92
country flag simplet

simplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond repute

It's been really weird watching Tsonga play for some time. I don't know if I'm alone with this but I always get the feeling there's something wrong with him. He'll play some good points, then throw some really crazy or completely lazy UEs, even for his standards. His movement seems weird also, except that sometimes he starts to run everywhere like a rabbit like at the end today. But somehow he almost always manages to win those matches he's supposed to. I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing : he has good enough results, and obviously has figured out how to win ugly (by that I mean when he doesn't play very well, his game is never ugly), but he never looks 100%. I read somewhere that he was disappointed by his results in Australia, that he felt he had a good opportunity but couldn't completely defend his chances.

He looks agitated also, for apparently no reason. Since the beginning of last year I've honestly rarely seen him look alright : at the end in Thailand, in the last two matches in Paris...
simplet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #93
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

He didn't look agitated to me in the 2nd set, but did in the first, both by reactions and some shot selection.
I'm under the impression he's not completely adjusted to the courts here, hence the ups and downs that are not due to simply rushing it more than necessary.
When is he playing tomorrow?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #94
country flag oranges

Found my answer, not before 7:30 PM. Good luck, he looked better today than Nadal did, let's keep it that way
Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #95
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are looking too much into it, simplet. Sure, he is not at 100% physically, sure he is playing solid at best, average at worst, and sure, he is not showing an incredible concentration in his matches so far (doesn't run on all balls sometimes, and running like a rabbit the rest of the time), but in all of these points, this is just the nature of the fool.
It was exactly the same last year between the pitiful losses against Federer (who he was litteraly watching playing against him btw ) or the pathetic match against Benneteau in semi-final at Lyon, and all of his matches at Bercy, particularly the one against Blake where he was blasting him off court. You can't expect him to always be creative or perfect on a court. He is doing with what he has and what he can at a definite moment. Plus there are some trend in his plays : always been average at the beginning of a new tourney, but solid when it matters, always resting on his serve, but firing aces after aces when he wants it. He also takes time at the beginning of a match to read his opponent serves and his game, to finally roll on him once he knows him (cf Djokovic or Tursunov today). You also have to remember that he needs many matches to start the engine.
On court, I think he is the same raging beast he was at bercy ( and the reason why we like him so much ).

On the match : he was average at the beginnning, but firing at the end (see ). Tursunov was also lucky a decent amount of times on his volleys and really solid off his serves, not much when Jo has him on his pocket at the end.

The match against Nadal is quite the unknown quantity IMO. If the match up is obviously on Jo's side, I think it's a pride thing for both of them. Nadal can't lose against Jo for his status and for his pride, Jo surely badly wants to beat the world number one. The question is how much energy Jo has saved after 6 consecutives win and 6 full weeks of competition, and how much is he going to power up before tomorrow like he always do for the big matches .

Answers tomorrow at 19H30 local time.
MacArthur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #96
country flag JBdV

JBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck tonight Jo
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Tennis Tipping 2009 Results:
Singles: Cherbourg CH W
Doubles: ...
JBdV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #97
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I thought Jo looked slightly more rattled than normal last night, lots of pained expressions. Anyway, best of luck for tonight Jo and he did well to beat Dimitry as he is always a tricky opponent.
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #98
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

Rahhh... Well, not enough power up tonight. Nothing to be ashamed of though.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #99
country flag JBdV

JBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond repute

Frustrating end after he put up a great fight to level the match, but he never looked great tonight anyway. He looked far too sloppy to beat Nadal throughout the match, would have been a miracle if Jo'd won. Ah well, never mind, hopefully he rests up and has a good tournament in Marseille now.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #100
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

have a nice rest Jo, it was obviously not a good day for him but I loved the fact that he fought till the end!! good luck in Marseille!
amdany is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #101
country flag simplet

simplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ah I'm pretty sure you guys see what I meant now. Really weird match : he never looked good, survived mostly with his serve in spite of countless UEs, until the second set tie-break where he was absolutely brillant. Then a weird third set in which his level was not so bad, except for two games where he played terribly after leading 30-0 both times (I think?).

I don't know; I like the fact that he manages to do ok even though he doesn't seem well, but it always feels like he could do more, don't you think? Also, he always looks rushed, like he has to win the point right now. I watched a little bit of his match against Nadal last year and he had a lot more patience in the points... Maybe it's because of the surface?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #102
country flag MacArthur

Yes, I see what you mean, but between the tiredness from six weeks of continuous playing, the big difference of experience between the world number one and Jo in these kind of match, his doubtfull physical state (the back is maybe a little too stiff)... I think we can give him a break.

Eventhough, it's true, he is too peaky during his matches right now, more than he was before. I agree with you also to say that the Jo we are seeing play right now isn't by any marge a full fit Jo. What he lacks the more is the creativity, a little bit of crazyness in his matches. He was also terrible at returning the serve of Nadal tonight, except some rare good games.

But the season is long, we can only hope for the best and his base level is still enough to beat 90% of the tour right now. That's a big consolation prize. I also hope that he can do a full season this year, it would already be something great.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #103
country flag simplet

I'm not blaming him or anything, of course, I don't know if that was clear. What I want to say, basically, is that maybe the times where he is going to be completely healthy and in good form are going to be pretty rare. I'm starting to realize that. Not only does he very often have serious injuries that keep him from playing entirely, but even most of the rest of the time he's not in top conditions. I don't think we should expect him to ever have long periods where he can give his all.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #104
country flag JBdV

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplet View Post
I'm not blaming him or anything, of course, I don't know if that was clear. What I want to say, basically, is that maybe the times where he is going to be completely healthy and in good form are going to be pretty rare. I'm starting to realize that. Not only does he very often have serious injuries that keep him from playing entirely, but even most of the rest of the time he's not in top conditions. I don't think we should expect him to ever have long periods where he can give his all.
I think you're right, I see a lot of people around MTF having unrealistic expectations of Jo, always waiting for that AO magic from last year every match. It's better to keep a sense of perspective about things like you have.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:52 AM   #105
country flag FairWeatherFan

FairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope Tsonga keeps injury free and fit. He has so much talent, and most of the time poise in important matches, that the big results will come in time.
FairWeatherFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote