Why was the Federer Calendar Slam Prediction thread deleted? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 01-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
country flag tennizen
Registered User
 
tennizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 27,168
tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why was the Federer Calendar Slam Prediction thread deleted?

There are many other threads with such predictions. Why was this one singled out
__________________
“But even so, amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still for ever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.” - Melville, Moby Dick
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 53,454
scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why was the Federer Calendar Slam Prediction thread deleted?

Having reviewed the thread, I have concluded that the thread was moved probably because

a) the subject matter was of very dubious merit and could certainly be construed as trolling,

and

b) the thread generated little or any meaningful discussion before it went off topic, was hijacked and otherwise lost the plot. Cleaning it up would have left little besides the opening post, so I suspect this is why it was moved.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
country flag tennizen
Registered User
 
tennizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 27,168
tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why was the Federer Calendar Slam Prediction thread deleted?

I see a lot of similar threads were opened today. For example

1) Is it likely that Djokovic will achieve the Retirement Slam this year
2) What are the odds that Rafa will do a calendar slam

So I would like to know if the subject matter of these threads has any more worth than the subject matter of that thread. The reason I mention these threads is that I believe the moderators should apply the same consistent standards to all threads. If a specific thread is deleted without explanation, I feel it is reasonable to assume that other threads of a similar nature will be evaluated similarly. Right now, the deletion could be based on the moderator's dislike towards the original poster and we would have no way of knowing.
__________________
“But even so, amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still for ever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.” - Melville, Moby Dick
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
country flag Castafiore
Registered User
 
Castafiore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,941
Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why was the Federer Calendar Slam Prediction thread deleted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Having reviewed the thread, I have concluded that the thread was moved probably because

a) the subject matter was of very dubious merit and could certainly be construed as trolling,

and

b) the thread generated little or any meaningful discussion before it went off topic, was hijacked and otherwise lost the plot. Cleaning it up would have left little besides the opening post, so I suspect this is why it was moved.
The same applies to a LOT of threads on GM.
So, that leaves the question: why was this one deleted and others (for which a) and b) apply as well) are not?
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 53,454
scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why was the Federer Calendar Slam Prediction thread deleted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennizen View Post
I see a lot of similar threads were opened today. For example

1) Is it likely that Djokovic will achieve the Retirement Slam this year
2) What are the odds that Rafa will do a calendar slam

So I would like to know if the subject matter of these threads has any more worth than the subject matter of that thread. The reason I mention these threads is that I believe the moderators should apply the same consistent standards to all threads. If a specific thread is deleted without explanation, I feel it is reasonable to assume that other threads of a similar nature will be evaluated similarly. Right now, the deletion could be based on the moderator's dislike towards the original poster and we would have no way of knowing.
1) Has been removed as it's clearly a baiting thread

2) Generated some sort of discussion before going off topic and has now been closed.

The rules are defined to be realistic and flexible, there will be some grey areas that require a judgement call, that's inevitable. We don't operate in a vaccum though - we try to apply the rules as fairly and consistently as we can and when decisions are questioned we obviously need to be able to explain why we took those decisions. Hard to do that if it's purely a question of poster bias. As a mod, if an admin is asked to look into something I've done I need to be able to back up my choices so it's not like it's completely arbitrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
The same applies to a LOT of threads on GM.
So, that leaves the question: why was this one deleted and others (for which a) and b) apply as well) are not?
Maybe they weren't reported or went unnoticed by the moderation team? I for one was offline for nearly 2 days with a PC malfunction that required a rebuild of my operating system. Clearly during that time I wasn't hovering over GM to ensure all threads complied with the rules, and my fellow mods would be in and out at various times too - we don't have blanket forum coverage, we can't have blanket forum coverage, so we're dependent on reports to flag up issues. Of course, if the real issue is not "why weren't those threads removed if this on was" but is actually "I don't agree this thread should have been removed anyway" then there's less likely to be a report from yourselves.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios