Marcos in good shape heading into Johannesburg - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #16
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marcos in good shape heading into Johannesburg

Main Draw

[1] Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) vs. Thiago Alves (BRA)
Denis Istomin (UZB) vs. Santiago Ventura (ESP)
Kevin Anderson (RSA) vs. Ivo Minar (CZE)
Qualifier vs. [7] Kristof Vliegen (BEL)

[4] Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) vs. Bjorn Phau (GER)
Sergio Roitman (ARG) vs. Leonardo Mayer (ARG)
Frederico Gil (POR) vs. Daniel Koellerer (AUT)
[WC] Rik de Voest (RSA) vs. [6] Ivan Navarro (ESP)

[5] Jeremy Chardy (FRA) vs. Jiri Vanek (CZE)
Flavio Cipolla (ITA) vs. Qualifier
[WC] Izak van der Merwe (RSA) vs. Benjamin Becker (GER)
Qualifier vs. [3] Marcel Granollers (ESP)

[8] Marcos Baghdatis (CYP) vs. Qualifier
Ruben Ramirez-Hidalgo (ESP) vs. [WC] Raven Klaasen (RSA)
Simon Greul (GER) vs. Victor Crivoi (ROU)
Dudi Sela (ISR) vs. [2] David Ferrer (ESP)

Good luck, Marcos.
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 06:27 AM   #17
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

Marcos and Jérémy will face Levinsky and Scherrer in the first round.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #18
country flag Baghdatis#1

Baghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay...they should win doubles R1, since I've never heard of either one of their opponents

Through the good and the bad, always my #1, no matter what the rankings say
Baghdatis#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #19
country flag Getta

Jaroslav Levinsky is a good doubles player (currently no.87 - reached No.24 in 2007). He also knows Marcos' game. They actually played together the AMS Rome in 2007 where they suffered a second-round loss to Hanley and Ullyett. It was a close match...

Scherrer isn't bad either. Don't know much about him though.

Last edited by Getta : 02-01-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #20
country flag Getta

Monday OoP

CENTRE COURT

Matches Start at 1:00pm
Sergio ROITMAN (ARG) vs. Leonardo MAYER (ARG)

followed by
Rik DE VOEST (RSA) vs. Ivan NAVARRO (ESP)

followed by
Ruben RAMIREZ HIDALGO (ESP) vs. Raven KLAASEN (RSA)

Not Before 7:00pm
Kevin ANDERSON (RSA)/Jo-Wilfried TSONGA (FRA) vs. Marcel GRANOLLERS (ESP)/Santiago VENTURA (ESP)

followed by
Marcos BAGHDATIS (CYP) vs. Andrew ANDERSON (RSA)

Good luck, Marcos.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #21
country flag Baghdatis#1

Baghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond repute

Pame Marcos!
I've never heard of Andrew Anderson
Is he related to Kevin Anderson?
Also there's Kelly Anderson of the WTA.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #22
country flag Baghdatis#1

Marcos beat Anderson 64 62. A lot of Hellenics were in the stands

Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #23
country flag Caio_Brasil

Caio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond repute

Pame!

A title here would be excellent for his confidence. But let's think one match after other
Caio_Brasil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:40 AM   #24
country flag Getta

Didn't watch the match but stats show Marcos must lift his game if he wants to reach the semis here.

7 double faults.
At least he hasn't hit double digits in double faults (match against Nieminen in Brisbane: 11 d.f. ).

Raven Klaasen is next.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #25
country flag Getta

http://sports.timesofindia.indiatime...ow/4067946.cms

Baghdatis finds his rhythm in South Africa

3 Feb 2009, 0448 hrs IST, REUTERS

JOHANNESBURG: Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis proved too strong for Andrew Anderson and beat the local qualifier 6-4 6-2 in the South African Open on Monday.

The eighth-seed made Anderson pay for a host of unforced errors and overwhelmed the 25-year-old with his more powerful baseline play. After being sidelined for much of last season with wrist and back injuries, Baghdatis said he was still trying to find his comfort zone.

"The venue is great and the support was very good, but I did not have that much fun out there because I didn't play very well" said the Cypriot, who is trying to work his way back up the rankings after slipping to number 100 at the end of 2008.

"After a back injury, it is not that easy. But it's just a matter of time, getting time on my feet and finding my rhythm."

Fourth-seeded Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez bowled over Germany's Bjorn Phau 6-4, 6-3. Sixth-seed Ivan Navarro was the only seed to fall on a day on which just six singles matches were played.

Navarro lost to lowly South African Rik de Voest, number 162 in the world and a wildcard entrant, 6-3, 6-4.

The South African Open is making a return to the ATP Tour after an absence of more than a decade.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #26
country flag Getta

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/match_r...ndrew_Anderson

Baghdatis takes easy route to second round

2/3/09 2:22 AM | Cheryl Murray

Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus cruised through his opening round in straight sets, dispatching wildcard Andrew Anderson in just under an hour and a half.

The match was not as easy as it appeared it would be on paper. Anderson, a South African wildcard and not ranked in the top 1000 in the world, should have been easy pickings for an experienced player like Baghdatis, but the South African actually managed to secure a break in each set. His serving was not nearly good enough to keep up with Baghdatis, however.

The Cypriot broke Anderson five times, twice in the first set and another three times in the second, but Baghdatis was not without problems of his own. He hit a slew of unforced errors, and he somewhat struggled on his own serve. While Anderson converted just two break points, he had seven other chances to do so.

Baghdatis’ performance could be attributed to opening round nerves. He was in Melbourne just a week ago, competing (well) at the Australian Open. He will need to pick up the pace as his opponents get more difficult, or an upset could be on the horizon.

=========================================

Yeah, you're right here, Cheryl.

Last edited by Getta : 02-03-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #27
country flag Getta

Wednesday OoP

CENTRE COURT

Matches Start at 1:00pm
Izak VAN DER MERWE (RSA) vs. Benjamin BECKER (GER)

Not Before 4:00pm
Marcos BAGHDATIS (CYP) vs. Raven KLAASEN (RSA)

Not Before 7:00pm
Simon GREUL (GER) vs. David FERRER (ESP)

followed by
Jeff COETZEE(RSA)/Wesley MOODIE(RSA) vs. Chris HAGGARD(RSA)/Raven KLAASEN(RSA)

Good luck, Marcos.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #28
country flag Getta

Marcos' first-round match in doubles is also scheduled for tomorrow.

He and Jérémy will face Levinsky and Scherrer on the Court 1 (last match of the day at about 9:00pm local time).
Old 02-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #29
country flag Getta

Wednesday OoP (revised due to rain)

CENTRE COURT

Matches Start at 5:30pm
Izak VAN DER MERWE (RSA) vs. Benjamin BECKER (GER)

followed by
Marcos BAGHDATIS (CYP) vs. Raven KLAASEN (RSA)

followed by
Izak VAN DER MERWE(RSA)/Fritz WOLMARANS(RSA) vs. Eric BUTORAC(USA)/Ross HUTCHINS(GBR)

followed by
Jeff COETZEE(RSA)/Wesley MOODIE(RSA) vs. Chris HAGGARD(RSA)/Raven KLAASEN(RSA)

====================================

Marcos' and Jérémy's match has postponed until tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #30
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

first set Baggy 6-3
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote