"Le mail de Gilles Simon" in L'Equipe - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #16
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Le mail de Gilles Simon" in L'Equipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Simon via Truc View Post
I don't feel like showing everybody the photos of my holidays. First, they're mine. I don't think a lot of people would be interested anyway. And I don't see what it would add to my "character". Some newspapers asked for photos of my girlfriend, for example. I refused. That's the line I was talking about. Yes, I talked about my "piano years" at the Conversatoire. Yes, I talked about my passion for video games. I did it once, now it's done. I'm a tennis player. And I'm not on Facebook.

I actually totally agree with him. I'm so over our modern culture, where everyone posts their reviews of movies or documents their lives on youtube (though I don't mind the sites in general if they're used more intelligently, but to be honest that seems rare). Everyone out there these days seems to think that they're a celebrity and that people want to know and witness everything they do. I couldn't care less about the vast majority of them, and I feel absolutely no desire to share family photos and such on the internet.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #17
country flag Eimear O'Mahony

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like Gilles is a very private person and rightly so. The tour is bad enough without people knowing everything about your private lives. You need to keep a certain aspect of your life private or you'd go crazy
Eimear O'Mahony is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #18
country flag port37

port37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond reputeport37 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the translation

I agree with Gilles about facebook and these sorts of sites where people feel they have to share the details of their life on the Internet. Our generation is obssessed with celebrity and becoming famous for doing nothing of real importance. I have no problem with people using these sites to keep in contact with family and friends and keeping their pages private, that's a positive about the Internet. I often feel like I'm the only person my age who doesn't have a facebook page and I'm fine with that.

oh gosh that felt a bit like a rant, although not as fiery as Gilles'
port37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #19
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends what you use facebook for. Mine is friends and family only and it genuinely is that. I have about 67 friends and all bar 1 (who I added for a laugh its a dodg celeb one lol) are all people I genuinely know and like. I've moved a lot in my time and I have a large extended family which rarely meets up so its great for catching up and not forgetting birthdays and also for photo sharing. I had someone add me today as a matter of fact who I was really good friends with but we both moved in the same week (and she moved abroad) and I have been gutted that we lost touch. She has her facebook set so you can't search it and I spell my name unusually so she has only just found me and its been 2 years.

Some of my friends though have about 500 friends and I'm like what. You can't know all these people whats the point.
Cloudygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #20
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Has he done any more of these yet? I'm quite looking forward to the next Gillou rant about modern life

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #21
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Double post sorry! flipping MTF

Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #22
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

I guess i'm one of the only ones who disagrees with Gilles then.

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #23
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

No no, I didn't find it that great either.

There is another mail today in L'Equipe, but nothing special, it's about the Davis Cup, what it means to him, it can be beneficial, but also destructive, Escudé is a model for him in Davis Cup, it forces him to forget about himself and to do things he isn't used to do, etc.
Quote:
Ça y est, nous y sommes…
Dernière ligne droite avant le début des hostilités. Et que rêver de mieux? Pas grand-chose à mon avis. Aller défendre les couleurs de la France, c'est déjà magnifique. Mais aller la défendre avec ses potes, ça, c'est irremplaçable. Beaucoup de monde va nous attendre sur cette rencontre. On en est tous conscients. La Coupe Davis a toujours été quelque chose de particulier pour un joueur de tennis. Les raisons? Je ne sais pas si tout le monde a les mêmes. En attendant, je connais les miennes.
Avoir le privilège de représenter son pays est quelque chose de rare, surtout dans un sport individuel. C'est une responsabilité qu'il faut vouloir et pouvoir assumer. Par le passé, on a déjà pu voir l'effet bénéfique ou destructeur qu'un match de Coupe Davis peut engendrer pour un joueur. Celui qui m'a le plus impressionné est Nicolas Escudé. Peu importe qui était l'adversaire, il donnait toujours l'impression d'être le patron sur le terrain. On le sentait serein, rassurant pour tout le monde, et je pense que c'est un joueur de Coupe Davis dont on devrait tous s'inspirer. Si je dois aller sur le terrain, ce sera un sacré défi pour moi. Ce sera une situation nouvelle, qu'il faudra gérer du mieux possible. Sans se rajouter des tonnes de pression non plus, il faut être à la hauteur de l'événement.
La Coupe Davis, c'est également avoir un autre privilège, celui de partager une aventure humaine incroyablement forte avec ses compatriotes. Cela paraît peut-être idiot mais, même si on est très proches, nous n'en restons pas moins concurrents tout au long de la saison. On le sait tous et ça ne nous pose aucun problème. Mais là, ce sera vraiment la première fois qu'on partagera tout ensemble. Tous dans le même bateau, quoi qu'il arrive. Le seul objectif final est la victoire de l'équipe. Peu importe qui a fait quoi, si l'équipe gagne tout le monde sera heureux, si elle perd tout le monde sera triste…
Dans un sport égocentrique comme le tennis, la Coupe Davis oblige à avoir d'autres atouts, car les qualités individuelles de chacun ne pèsent rien face à un esprit de groupe. Etre prêt à tout donner pour les autres, être à leur service en permanence, que ce soit dans les bons ou les mauvais moments, telle était ma mission lors de ma seule rencontre en tant que cinquième homme, l'an dernier à Sibiu contre la Roumanie. J’ai dû par exemple, pour la première fois de ma carrière, faire un double d'entraînement pour régler «Mika» et «La Clé». Je faisais équipe avec Guy Forget et on leur faisait bosser les coups qu'ils allaient devoir frapper deux jours plus tard. En fin d'entraînement, j'avais également fait faire une bonne demi-heure de volée à Arnaud, qui en voulait encore. C'était quelque chose de tellement inhabituel pour moi. J’ai découvert les bienfaits de ne pas être en permanence centré sur sa petite personne. C'est pourquoi j'ai hâte d'y nouveau, que ce soit en tant que joueur, remplaçant ou sparring-partner.
Pour terminer, je dirai que dans tous les cas ça va être une aventure extraordinaire. C’est quelque chose dont on rêve depuis tout petit. Ce le sera d'autant plus que je joue avec mes «potes», et que cette histoire sera «notre» histoire. Je ne sais pas si on va bien jouer, je ne sais pas non plus si on va gagner. La seule chose que sais, c'est qu'on va tout donner...
Gilles Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mail.jpg (204.3 KB, 39 views)
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #24
country flag Eimear O'Mahony

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the article Fran. He's really proud of playing in the Davis Cup that's for sure He seems genuinely touched to be representing France and it means even more to him because he's playing with his friends. I think that's nice

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Also liking ... LOPEZ, VERDASCOand NADAL

The Adidas Boys - Impossible is Nothing
Eimear O'Mahony is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #25
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

He wrote again! Today is about Roland-Garros for a French player:
Quote:
Comment aborder Roland pour un joueur français

« Souvent on dit que les Français ne réussissent pas bien à Roland-Garros parce qu’il y a trop d’attente du public mais je ne pense pas que ce soit la raison principale. L’attente des gens, c’est rien. Dix minutes après que tu as perdu, ils vont voir un autre Français qui est en train de gagner et basta. Le soir, c’est oublié pour eux.

Alors pourquoi c’est dur ? Ça ne sert à rien de dire que c’est un Grand Chelem comme un autre parce que ce n'est pas vrai. Roland, c’était presque la seule fois de l’année qu’on voyait du tennis à la télé quand on était petit. Personne n’avait Eurosport à l’époque. C’est sur ces courts-là que je me suis projeté joueur de tennis. J’ai vu des tas de finales sur France 2, avec le mec qui s’allonge par terre à la fin en me disant : « Ça doit être fabuleux ! » Les parcours des Français, à l’époque, je les ai suivis de près !

Bon, moi, c’est vrai, je n’ai jamais réussi mes Roland-Garros jusqu’à présent. C’est d’ailleurs là que j’ai ressenti mes premiers gros coups de pression. Maintenant ça va un peu mieux car je la reconnais quand elle arrive, mais ça reste toujours quelque chose de pas évident à gérer. Souvent, quand on a peur, on a un réflexe idiot qui est de dire : « J’ai pas peur. » Mais je crois qu’il vaut mieux ne pas se mentir et faire le maximum avec ça.

Ca me paraît quasiment impossible de bien jouer d’entrée dans le tournoi. Arriver et mettre 6-3, 6-2, 6-1 en envoyant « Bing ! » à droite, « Boum ! » à gauche, sans rater, tu parles... Je pense qu'il faut s’inspirer du parcours de Gaël l’an dernier. Je me souviens des commentaires très durs qui avaient suivi ses premières victoires, comme quoi ce qu’il faisait sur le court était laborieux, qu’il ne faisait que pousser la balle, qu’il n’irait jamais loin dans le tournoi... Eh bien on l'a retrouvé en demi-finales pratiquant son meilleur tennis. Et quand t’es en demies, les gens s’en foutent de ce qui s’est passé avant. Ils ont oublié les matches pourris des premiers tours. C’est peut-être en gagnant un match pourri, puis un deuxième, qu’après, ça peut être fabuleux.

Comme moi, Gaël jouait comme un manche à Roland au début. Je m’en souviens bien : on était tellement tendus qu’on passait presque à côté de la balle pour nos premières qualifs … Lui a réussi à prendre ses marques petit à petit, pour passer un tour, puis aller en huitièmes, puis dans le dernier carré l’an dernier !

Question de patience. Il ne faut pas se voir trop beau. À Roland plus qu’ailleurs, on voudrait gagner avec la manière, en faisant tout le temps des beaux points, des beaux coups. Parfois, ça m’est arrivé de réussir deux super points gagnants coup sur coup. J’étais un peu « content de moi » d’avoir laissé le mec à six mètres de la balle deux fois mais à l’arrivée faire deux coups de martien au milieu de quatre fautes, ça sert à quoi ? À part à perdre le jeu… Mon père me dit rarement des choses sur mon tennis, mais il y a une phrase qu’il me répète souvent : « Ça ne sert à rien de f faire le spectacle avant la finale ». Ce n’est pas faux. »

Gilles Simon
Old 05-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #26
country flag MsTree

Thanks Fran!
Google Translate makes an arse out of it though

Question of patience. We should not be too good. At Roland more than elsewhere, we would win with the way in doing all the time points of fine, fine strokes. Sometimes it's happened to me to pass two super points winners in a row. I was a little happy with me "for having allowed the man to six meters from the ball twice, but at the finish two strokes to Mars in the middle of four faults, what's the point? Apart from losing the game ... My father often told me things about my tennis, but it is a phrase that I repeat often: "It is no use of f to the show before the finale." This is not true.

I like the "two strokes to Mars" bit even if it doesn't make too much sense! Looking forward to your translation

Old 05-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #27
country flag Truc

It's not very interesting, that's why I didn't translate it immediately, but I can make a rough translation if you want. The other one about the Davis Cup was easier to understand with Google?

I'm puzzled by the Google translation, though, because it gets the most simple sentences wrong.
Mon père me dit rarement des choses sur mon tennis -> My father often told me things about my tennis ??
Ce n’est pas faux -> This is not true. ??
It's the exact opposite! His father hardly ever talks with Gilles about his tennis, but that one thing he says is very true.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #28
country flag MsTree

Yeah Google translated the previous one perfectly! But the new one was unreadable
I definitely prefer your writing style Fran!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #29
country flag Truc

Ok, here you go, but it's probably not pretty because I don't have much time right now. If somebody has time to correct the mistakes and polish it up a little bit, send me a PM, I'll edit my post!

"They say that French players don't do well in Roland-Garros because of the expectations of the crowd, but I don't think it's the main reason. The expectations of the people are peanuts. Ten minutes after you lost, they move on to another Frenchman who is winning and that's it. They've already forgotten about it at the end of the day.

So why is it hard? There's no point saying it's a Slam like any other because it's not true. Roland was our only occasion to see tennis on TV when we were kids. Nobody had Eurosport at the time. Those are the courts where I was projecting myself as a tennis player. I saw tons of finals on France 2 with the winner lying down on the ground at the end and I was saying to myself "It must be fabulous!" I was following very closely what the French players were doing there!

As for me, that's true, I've never done well in Roland-Garros so far. It's the place where I had my first rough experiences with the pressure. It's a bit better now because I recognize the pressure when it happens, but it's still hard to deal with it. When a player is scared, he often has the stupid reaction to say to himself: "I'm not scared". I think it's better to not lie to oneself and cope with it the best one can.

To me, it seems almost impossible to start the tournament playing great tennis. To turn up and win 6-3 6-2 6-1 hitting winners right and left, without making any error. No chance... I think Gaël's path last year must be an inspiration. I remember very harsh comments after his first wins, they said he was laborious, just pushing the ball around, he would never go far in the tournament... And he ended up in the semi-final playing his best tennis. Once you're in the semi, people don't care anymore about what happened before. The rotten matches of the first rounds are forgotten already. Maybe one has to win one, two rotten matches to do something fabulous.

Like me, Gaël used to be hopeless in Roland. I remember it very well: we were so tense in our first qualifying matches that we almost missed the ball... He managed to find his bearings, little by little, winning one round, reaching the 4th round and then the last quarter last year!

It's a matter of patience. Not get ahead of oneself*. In Roland more than anywhere else, we'd like to win with style, playing only great points, with beautiful shots. Sometimes I would play two superb winners in a row, I was quite happy with myself, the other guy was six meters away from the ball, great. But what's the point if I hit two shots out of this world in the middle of four errors? Apart from losing that game... My father rarely talks with me about my game, but he often says one thing to me: "It's no use looking good/putting up a great show before the final". He may have a point here."

*"se voir trop beau", that's an expression he's been using a lot lately. He said that in Madrid for example to explain why he had so much trouble fighting when Ljubo came back in the 2nd set - he said literally "I was seeing myself too beautiful" = "I thought that I had already made it, that everything was going to be great and easy".

Last edited by Truc : 05-19-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #30
country flag MsTree

If he sees the same thing as I see when I look at him then beautiful is an understatement

I can't even hazard a guess at the bit you're stuck with but in my head he's getting ahead of himself in both the examples you've given.