I had to play a JERK - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute
Default I had to play a JERK

A talented guy, but a jerk nonetheless.

I decided to play up this mixed season and because of how things fall out sometimes, my partner and I ended up playing a 4.5 male/3.5 female combo last night. Didn't know til today when I looked them up...that they were married. I feel sooooo sorry for her.

HE was the complete jerk on the court (ball-hogged, cursed and threw his racket). He was clearly the most skilled of anyone yet his attitude was the worst. Instead of us walking off the court saying, "Gosh, what a good player," we muttered "What a jerk."

And it's sad, what really ticked him off was when we broke him to go up 2-0 in the second set (after losing 6-2 in the first). I'm like, jeez dude, calm down. You have plenty of time to recover. And sure enough, they did...to go up 5-2. Then his partner/wife made a few mistakes, we got a little lucky (and played a bit better ) and tied it back up at 5-5. Too bad to win, he hit some hard volleys right at my partner (at least he didn't try to hit me...but still...just a bit slimy).

Sorry, gang, for the rant. Probably not thread-worthy...but I'm not used to running across that sort of player. The ladies can be a back-stabbing bunch but it's mostly with words or off-court antics and the men I've played with (and against) to-date have been nothing like that. Guess that 4.5 rating comes with an attitude, eh?
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I had to play a JERK

Talented amateurs players sometimes let things get too serious. I used to be like that (get angry with myself and sometime throw the racquet, but I never cursed hehe) but it just made me lose matches that I shouldn´t lose. Don´t worry, the best attitude you have the best you improve and play better on court, so this guy may be good but he will never be the best if he continues to play like a jerk.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #3
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

I get angry at myself all the time, but I don't direct that anger to anyone else on the court. That's pathetic.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, guys. I just keep shaking my head over how such talent/skill seems wasted on someone like that. Like Blues said, just think of how good he really could be if he channeled all that energy into his game.

I'm as competitive as the next gal, ok, well more than most of my gfs ...but I hope I'm never anything like that...regardless of my...or my opponent's...skill level.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #5
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Well, throwing rackets around is so childish. I've never done that also. Well, I've done it once, but it was because I was feeling so much pain I was extremely frustrated, so...
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

What a jerk!

I think I started a thread a while back when I was suffering from a few frustration issues, but I'm over them now, and like GlennMirnyi says, it's disgusting to focus any anger towards someone who is on YOUR TEAM. Sure, that's really going to help them play better having some idiot shouting at them for every mistake they make.

Actually played a mixed match a few months back and the guy the other end was going mental, shouting at himself and his partner after every point, throwing his racquet...the works. I really felt like stepping up to him because of the way he was intimidating his partner but thought better of it as we were playing at their club and their team captain was there so not my responsibility to get involved. Anyway, to cut a long story short, guy ended up grating his fist repeatedly across the strings of his racquet until he drew blood! Did a Youzhny for all intents and purposes! Absolutely disgusting, needless to say we didn't shake hands after the match
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
country flag Jackie Stephens

Jackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond repute

I have dealt and know guys like that, it really doesn't bother me but I play Junior tennis so it's different.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
country flag Spes
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Spes has a reputation beyond reputeSpes has a reputation beyond reputeSpes has a reputation beyond reputeSpes has a reputation beyond reputeSpes has a reputation beyond reputeSpes has a reputation beyond reputeSpes has a reputation beyond reputeSpes has a reputation beyond reputeSpes has a reputation beyond reputeSpes has a reputation beyond reputeSpes has a reputation beyond repute

You find people like that all the time in junior tennis. Especially kids from Tennessee are just . Whenever I play tournaments over there it's just appalling the lack of respect those kids (and their parents, too) have.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spes View Post
... the lack of respect those kids (and their parents, too) have.

That's not something I'm looking forward to when my kids play sports (presuming they do). I've heard horror stories of soccer moms or hockey dads. I played sports in high school (shhhh...over 25 years ago) and don't remember anything/person/parent being that way. Makes me wonder what's changed. Is it that the stakes are higher? Or have we just evolved into a society that covets winning (at all costs)?

Sorry for the soap box...