Australian Open 2009 - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:28 AM   #61
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Open 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ljubica* View Post
For me too Echoing Jelena that I hope it will be a good and enjoyable match The crowd is bound to be noisy, but I hope peaceful
Rose, Serbs and Greeks have generally been on the same side in most conflicts. Close bonds shared by many Greeks and Serbs...

Still, I expect electric atmosphere at the stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas719 View Post
Trust me, if Baghdatis played Ilhan trhis year we would've had the same situation. I mean, especially after the Turks petitioned to ban Baghdatis from the AO. With all due respect, what power do they have when it comes to AO rules?
Andreas, you'll see fanatic stuff everywhere you turn. There are fanatic Turks of course, just like there are fanatic Greeks. Personally speaking, I always preferred peaceful, realistic approaches. Forget the past, it's time to move on. Having said that, a tennis forum is not a place for politics.

Good luck, Marcos.
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 03:38 AM   #62
country flag Baghdatis#1

Baghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post
Andreas, you'll see fanatic stuff everywhere you turn. There are fanatic Turks of course, just like there are fanatic Greeks. Personally speaking, I always preferred peaceful, realistic approaches. Forget the past, it's time to move on. Having said that, a tennis forum is not a place for politics.

Good luck, Marcos.
I wasn't trying to bring politics into this. I was just saying that the same thing would've happened between Greeks and Turks. I want peace too, but I'm sure most Greeks still hate Turks, so a fight would most likely break out. Also, I was just saying that it was unrealistic for the Turks to petition against Baghdatis' participation in the AO last year, since they have no power in who gets to go to AO and who doesn't, and they still argued even after the ATP and Tennis Australia stated that they won't ban Baghdatis

Through the good and the bad, always my #1, no matter what the rankings say
Baghdatis#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:53 AM   #63
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wasn't trying to bring politics into this. I was just saying that the same thing would've happened between Greeks and Turks. I want peace too, but I'm sure most Greeks still hate Turks, so a fight would most likely break out. Also, I was just saying that it was unrealistic for the Turks to petition against Baghdatis' participation in the AO last year, since they have no power in who gets to go to AO and who doesn't, and they still argued even after the ATP and Tennis Australia stated that they won't ban Baghdatis
You're wrong there. Most Greeks don't hate Turks. I'm always speaking for the Greeks living in Greece. Can't speak for the Greek diaspora. I would be a liar though if I haven't admitted that until now Greeks still blame the 4-centuries Ottoman regime in Greece for the shortcomings of the Greek society (compared to the most advanced European societies). And that's it. Good sign is that the Greek authorities show an enormous effort to forget the past. Still, I always speak for the Greek citizens.

Anyway, we're

Marcos will be playing a very important match in 5 hours. Good luck to him.

Last edited by Getta : 01-25-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:34 AM   #64
country flag baghdatis

baghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond repute

Pame Marco It Will Be Hektic Toniaght As It Has Been All Week!
baghdatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:37 AM   #65
country flag Baghdatis#1

Baghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond repute

W/E. This is off-topic, and I meant the Greek-Aussies.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #66
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Baghdatis and Cornet?
Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #67
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Nice dight from Marcos and a great tourney! Should give him some great confidence for this year!!

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #68
country flag Jelena_78

Jelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond repute

1-6 6-7(1) 7-6(5) 2-6

Marcos

Very good tournament for him! Let's hope we'll see more often in-form, fit and self-confident Baggy from now on!
His performances at AO give hope!
Pame!!!!

Janko Tipsarević

Novak Đoković | Roger Federer | Marcos Baghdatis | Mikhail Youzhny | Andy Murray | Grigor Dimitrov | Juan Martin Del Potro | Dušan Lajović

Jelena_78 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #69
country flag Getta

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...805006937.html

Djokovic drops Baghdatis

Sunday 25 January 2009
By Matthew Trollope

Novak Djokovic has won a highly-entertaining clash against Marcos Baghdatis in the wee hours of Monday morning, beating the Cypriot in four high-quality sets to progress to the quarterfinals of Australian Open 2009.

Before an atmospheric crowd on Rod Laver Arena – featuring animated chanting from each players’ flag-clad supporter groups – the tournament’s third seed battled his unseeded opponent for three hours and 15 minutes before winning 6-1 7-6(1) 6-7(5) 6-2.

The match began at 11.10pm following Jelena Dokic’s epic three-hour win over Alisa Kleybanova, but the crowd didn’t seem to mind, the majority staying on for what promised to be a blockbuster between two of the game’s best shot-makers.

It seemed Djokovic wanted to make up for lost time, moving 4-0 ahead in just 13 minutes. The Serbian’s clean and powerful ball-striking caught the Cypriot off-guard and kept him firmly on the back foot.

Despite Baghdatis getting on the board to be down 1-5, Djokovic promptly served out the set.

The standard of play lifted in the second set as Baghdatis found his range. The two men engaged in several scintillating rallies, rifling the ball low and fast over the net before a winner generally decided the point.

Baghdatis broke early to lead 3-0, before Djokovic hit back in the seventh game to get the set back on serve. He had the chance to break again in the ninth game when up 0-30, but the winners then flew off the Cypriot’s racquet, allowing him to hold. Games then continued on serve.

After such an absorbing set, it seemed a shame the ensuing tiebreak was such a one-sided affair. However, the Serbian proved the more solid and hungry player, winning it seven points to one and taking a two-sets-to-love lead.

The third set went with serve and again had to be decided by a tiebreak. This time, Baghdatis would not crumble.

He punished a couple of poorly-executed drop shots by the Serbian, and went from 0-2 down to 3-2 up. The momentum swing was telling, and the Cypriot would eventually smack a forehand return winner to bring up three set points. Despite botching two, he clinched the set on his third after coming out on top of a gruelling rally.

Djokovic quickly shrugged off the disappointment of the third set, breaking in the opening game of the fourth.

The Serbian was in danger of losing his advantage when serving in the sixth game as Baghdatis went up 15-40, but played clutch tennis to extend his lead to 4-2.

An epic game immediately followed. Baghdatis saved two break points and successfully challenged an out call on the baseline to reach advantage, only for the Serbian to reel off three consecutive points with some brilliant tennis and score his second break of the set.

It proved decisive, and Djokovic went on to close out the match in the next game – just before 2.30am.

Waiting in the quarterfinals is American Andy Roddick, after the No. 7 seed won his fourth-round encounter in straight sets over Spain’s Tommy Robredo.

Quick facts

Baghdatis served 12 aces to Djokovic’s three

The Cypriot recorded just one more winner than Djokovic (37-36)

Djokovic had 49 unforced errors, four less than Baghdatis

The Serbian had 17 break points, compared to just five for Baghdatis
Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #70
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

oy Marcos
but yes a good tourney from him, before the tourney I would have taken a 4th round exit with gratefulness
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #71
country flag Baghdatis#1

Marcos
I told my parents to set their alarm(I don't have one and I'm getting a new phone so I couldn't use the alarm there) and my dad woke me up @11:30. I'm so mad at them I asked them to do me one favor-set the alarm, wake me up, go back to sleep and they DIDN'T. I know it's my responsibility but I knew I couldn't wake up alone. I hardly ever get to see Marcos play and of course when I finally have the opportunity, I can't

Even if he lost, I'd rather see him lose than not see him at all

Anyways, it was a good run from Marcos and now I'm off to youtube to watch the match

Old 01-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #72
country flag Getta

Quote:
Anyways, it was a good run from Marcos and now I'm off to youtube to watch the match
Frankly speaking, the quality of the match wasn't great... I'd say the match was in fact rather tedious and boring... Good sign, though, that Marcos seemed evidently determined not to repeat the mistakes he made today...
Old 01-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #73
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to Marcos and his fans. After the first set, Marcos put up a really good fight, and scared all us poor Novak fans far too much

I hope he can keep this year healthy and injury free, and get back to a high place in the rankings where he belongs.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #74
country flag Getta

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ljubica* View Post
Congrats to Marcos and his fans. After the first set, Marcos put up a really good fight, and scared all us poor Novak fans far too much

I hope he can keep this year healthy and injury free, and get back to a high place in the rankings where he belongs.
Rose, Marcos was utterly awful in the first set.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #75
country flag Baghdatis#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post
Rose, Marcos was utterly awful in the first set.
He said after the 1st set