The cheering Rafa to Oz Open Glory - Oh my god we succeeded! Rafa is champion! - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #151
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 'cheering Rafa to Aussie Open Glory - R2 def. Karanusic 6-2 6-3 6-2' thread

Another comfortable win
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #152
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

Aenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 'cheering Rafa to Aussie Open Glory - R2 def. Karanusic 6-2 6-3 6-2' thread

Quote:
The world has become accustomed to seeing Nadal mopping up clay court titles and making the French Open his very own, but of late the Spaniard has been branching out. Not only did he break Roger Federer's heart by beating the Swiss in the Wimbledon final, but he also ended 2008 as the best hard court player in the world. Of his 82 wins for the season, 46 of them came on the cement surface. This was indeed a break from the norm.
from AO official site http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...613234281.html

Is this true? Rafa was 2008 best HC player? How could I miss on that fact

Karanusic down, Haas next. Vamos
Old 01-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #153
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Transcript of Rafa's R2 presser:

Quote:
Q. You've only dropped 11 games in two matches. How do you assess your form to this stage? You must be happy.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I am happy, no? Sure, I played before first round, second round. But, anyway, was a good result today. The other guy play very, I think, irregular. Sometimes play well, sometimes he had some mistakes. So was tough match for get the rhythm.

But the result is good. I think I won without problems, no?

Q. Last year you led the tour with wins on hard courts. Does that give you confidence in thinking you can win a Grand Slam on a hard court, as you've done on grass and clay?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I gonna try, no? For sure I think when you think you win in Toronto, you win in Olympics, I have Montréal, I have Madrid, I have Indian Wells in this kind of surface. When you have these tournaments playing against the best players of the world, because in these tournaments are the best players of the world. Why you can't win a Grand Slam in hard court, no?

I always try. Trying to improve always in this surface. Hopefully in this year have a chance for win here or for win in the US Open.

Q. Do you think here or the US Open favors your game, one or the other, better?

RAFAEL NADAL: The thing is play good. If I am playing good, I think I gonna have my chances for have a good result in both.

Q. One thing you've changed is your forehand here. It seems to be a lot flatter. Is that something you've really focused on?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, not true. I didn't know nothing about that (laughter). First new.

Q. Does anything set Melbourne apart for you, make it seem different to you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is very good city, no? I think is a calm city, big city, but at the same time calm. Problems with my English, no? Calm? No. I think you understand more than my secretary (laughter).

No, I really enjoy the city. Is clean, very clean city. So that's good, no? One of the favorite cities for me I think.

Q. You would have wanted to have played both in Shanghai and in the Davis Cup final last year. But do you think perhaps having missed those two events you are better prepared, it's given you a bit of time perhaps?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I don't know really. I had time in December for practice ‑ more than in other years. But other years the result were very good, too, no? I hope continues with the same results.

I don't know if gonna be good. I think for some aspects can be good. For some other ones, is a little bit worse. Can be good because you didn't play, you have more time for practice, you have more time for recover mentally from the long season like last year. But at the same time I was more time than the rest outside of competition. So this is a little bit tougher get the rhythm another time.

Anyway, watching the positive thing, I hope if is not here can help me for the season.

Q. Could you tell us in more than one word how Mauritius was?

RAFAEL NADAL: It was well. I was there ‑‑ well, we were there for one week. Yes, was very nice place. I don't know. The people was very nice with me there. I had some activities. I enjoyed a lot. Hope to come back.

Q. Tommy Haas in the next round. It's going to be a hard match for you.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, going to be the first big opponent I think. Right now, well, gonna be a very good test for see how I am. I going to have to play very well if I want have chances to win, no? I think he won today very easy. So when one player win easy, is good news. Seems he's playing well. I have to play well if I want to win.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about Albert Costa coming in as the new Davis Cup captain, what you think he brings to the job, good things or bad things.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, always is good to have a player being a captain. Especially Albert, I think he has a very good relationship with all the players. I was playing the same time with him. I know him, I think. He always was a team player. Right now for me is the best captain we can have, no?

Q. Do you think he has a lot of pressure? Obviously, Emilio has done quite well with the team.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, Emilio won, and the lost the first three years. So doesn't matter, no? The thing is be there, win or lose is another thing. Doesn't depend only the captain. The captain is more. But I think the captain is more important for have a good atmosphere on the team. I don't know. The important thing for me in the captain is have a captain ‑‑

THE INTERPRETER: That he makes a good atmosphere on the team so that people want to go and play Davis Cup.

RAFAEL NADAL: That's more important thing because in the end is not like a football team, then you play, no?

Q. There's a lot of interest in your new outfits. Some of your fans on the websites don't seem to like them too much, your clothes. Do you like the change of image?

RAFAEL NADAL: What happened? The fans didn't like?

Q. Some of them don't.

RAFAEL NADAL: Sorry (laughter). I don't know.

No, I am feeling okay. I am feeling well. For sure, when you have a change, some people like, other people don't like. For sure with the sleeveless, not everybody like the sleeveless. Right now gonna be the same, no?

But, anyway, is a change. But I feel good like this. Important thing in the end is not the clothes; is the ball and racquet and play well.

Q. Tommy Haas is coming back from an injury. How much do you know about his history, his story, his shoulder problems, all that kind of stuff? Did you follow that? Are you aware of it?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I know him for a long time, no? I played a lot of matches. A lot. I don't know if a lot. But I played some matches against him.

He had important injuries in his career. That's tough for a big player like him. He had very good result. He had for two years outside the court. He came back and he start another time playing well. Right now he had ‑‑ well, last year he had another time some problems, but is coming back.

Look, he's in third round another time. So he's a very good player. Always for everybody is tough, dangerous. When he came back, always he's there, no?

Q. Is there something special you have to fear about his game?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think he's a very complete player. He can play slice, good backhand, good forehand. He can go to the volley. He have a good serve. No, he can do everything. If I want to win, I have to put more rhythm and intensity than him.

Q. You have many fans in Australia. You see Rafa on the T‑shirts. Does that help you make you more relaxed when you go on the court, thinking that a lot of them are on your side?
RAFAEL NADAL: Not more relaxed, no. That's always nice have the crowd with you. Just can say thank you very much everybody, no?

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...605010109.html
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #154
country flag Metis

Metis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond repute

It's time for some action in the MIT competition. Someone will fail in the next round. Hopefully it will be P.Antonius.

Quote:
How far will Rafa go at the AO? (2000 points for the winners )

1st -
2nd -
3rd - P.Antonius
4th - l_mac, Metis, star, tennizen, TMJordan
QF - rafa maniac, scoobs
SF - acionescu, cmurray, Evita, Getta, Invisible, jachalator, Kitty de Sade, Minn, Princesspts, The_Nadal_Effect, shawshank, tangerine dream, Troickitard
F - Corey Feldman, Foxy, nashty, wildegirl05, Xristos
W - adee-gee, Aenea, Bachelor Dandy, Blaze-2004, Denisse, GuiroNl, JolanGago, MariaV, NaDALiTa, Ria, scarecrows, Snoo Foo, wilmar

Haas

Well, they have played 3 times on hard (not in slams) and Rafa won in straight sets every time.
Metis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #155
country flag Xristos

Xristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond repute

Vamoos!
Xristos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:34 AM   #156
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

Aenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond repute

OOP Saturday, Jan 24

Rod Laver Arena 19:30

Women's Singles - 3rd Round
Samantha Stosur (AUS) v. Elena Dementieva (RUS)[4]

Men's Singles - 3rd Round
Rafael Nadal (ESP)[1] v. Tommy Haas (GER)

Good luck, Rafi
Old 01-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #157
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cheering Rafa to Oz Open Glory - R3 def. Haas 6-4 6-2 6-2 (JM crashes out of

On we go to R4 excellent display (from what I saw )

Unfortunately we have Gonzo now. Certainly worthy of an and the fact he has cruised through to the 4th round spending very little time on court makes me even more
Old 01-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #158
country flag Metis

Metis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal-Haas 6-4 6-2 6-2

Nice, quick one Rafito.

Quote:
How far will Rafa go at the AO? (2000 points for the winners )

1st -
2nd -
3rd - P.Antonius
4th - l_mac, Metis, star, tennizen, TMJordan
QF - rafa maniac, scoobs
SF - acionescu, cmurray, Evita, Getta, Invisible, jachalator, Kitty de Sade, Minn, Princesspts, The_Nadal_Effect, shawshank, tangerine dream, Troickitard
F - Corey Feldman, Foxy, nashty, wildegirl05, Xristos
W - adee-gee, Aenea, Bachelor Dandy, Blaze-2004, Denisse, GuiroNl, JolanGago, MariaV, NaDALiTa, Ria, scarecrows, Snoo Foo, wilmar

P.Antonius YOU FAILED

I want to take this opportunity to dedicate today's FAIL to the now ex-president; the FAIL force was with him through the years.

Metis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #159
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

Default Re: The cheering Rafa to Oz Open Glory - R3 def. Haas 6-4 6-2 6-2 (JM crashes out of

Well done, Rafi

Now take Gonzo out and let him feel how you felt 2 years ago at the very same tournament when you 2 met

Vamos
Old 01-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #160
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

if Metis' fail posts were a person, I'd marry them
Old 01-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #161
country flag rafa_maniac

rafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond repute

I already felt pretty vindicated with that Olympic final beatdown, but a nice thrashing day after next would still please me greatly
Old 01-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #162
country flag Foxy

Foxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond repute

I am so glaaaaaaaad P. Antonius failed.
Just take it and go home, m*g!
04.07.10 - Rafa's Express Faster Than The Rest!
13.09.10 - Who is the GOAT now?!
05.06.11 - Where is clayGoat Djokovic?
11.06.12 - NoleSlam denied! 7th Heaven it is!
09.06.13 - Hi8tory!
09.09.13 - #Lucky13
Foxy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #163
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa_maniac View Post
I already felt pretty vindicated with that Olympic final beatdown, but a nice thrashing day after next would still please me greatly
I look forward to this too but the atmosphere will be unbearable. The Chileans are scary and very loud. I hope for a good umpire not Norm Chryst who can keep the Chileans at bay.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #164
country flag dorkino

dorkino has a reputation beyond reputedorkino has a reputation beyond reputedorkino has a reputation beyond reputedorkino has a reputation beyond reputedorkino has a reputation beyond reputedorkino has a reputation beyond reputedorkino has a reputation beyond reputedorkino has a reputation beyond reputedorkino has a reputation beyond reputedorkino has a reputation beyond reputedorkino has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa's presser:
Quote:
Q. Can you play any better than that?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, always you can improve, no? Perfect matches doesn't exist. But today, especially after a few games, after the first three, four games, I started to play well. In the beginning, I was playing too short little bit. And Tommy has the control of the points on the court. But that change after the beginning of the match.

For that reason, I have the victory, no? I play more inside the court with the forehand. Improving a little bit more with the backhand, too. Very happy to be in fourth round for another year.

Q. Do you think you're playing better at this stage this year than the same stage last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: I never compared year by year, no? I don't like the comparisons. Last year, I played the semifinals here. Was a very good result for the start of the season. Right now, I am in fourth round. For sure the toughest matches still to come.

Against González, this match going to be a very tough match. He's coming with big confidence after two big wins against Hewitt the first round, and right now against Gasquet with unbelievable comeback, two sets down. He's coming with confidence. Going to be a very tough opponent.

Q. Do you think you owe him a victory here after he beat you easily two years ago?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, he beat me very easy two years ago here. So it wasn't play one of my best matches. He played well.

Well, he's tough. He's very good player. He can beat me, for sure, another time. Hopefully not. But I gonna try my best for try to change the situation from two years, for try to play the same level like last year in Olympics.

Q. How much of a factor do you think it is that he had so long on court tonight, whereas you've been very quick with the matches you had?

RAFAEL NADAL: Hopefully affect a lot (smiling). But I think that's not gonna happen, no? He didn't play with the sun, with the hot. That's gonna be important factor.

And, well, for sure he going to be a little bit more tired. But he's very strong, no? He's very strong player physically. The same time he going to be with more confidence than ever, no, because he beat against big player like Richard, and he had a very good comeback. So that's very important for the confidence.

Q. Does that come into your strategy, to run him around early?

RAFAEL NADAL: Doesn't matter. I never think about that, no? I only think about try to play my game, try to play aggressive with my forehand, and try to be very concentrate with the serve, no?

Q. How did you find the conditions out there tonight?

RAFAEL NADAL: Very good, no? No wind. That's always easier for play. Very good atmosphere. So, very happy for everything, no? The crowd support was always there supporting me. So that's very nice when you come on court and feel the support of the crowd. So can say thanks very much to all the Australian people, no?

Q. After your results last year, after becoming world No. 1, how motivated are you to show what you're capable of at this tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: The same motivation like every year. Every year when I came here, I came with my best motivation, try my best all the time. This year I gonna try the same, so... One number don't change motivation, no?

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...718800078.html
dorkino is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #165
country flag GuiroNl

GuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa_maniac View Post
Vindication. Why would you feel vindicated?
GuiroNl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote