Sydney 2009: 10th title - why easy when it can be achieved in a hard way - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #31
country flag novanora

novanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney 2009: A warm up for AO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
Q. You've had some famous matches with him. I think early on you said some things that annoyed him and he played better in that circumstance, but the last time you played you beat him. Do you think he's easier to play if you don't annoy him before the match?
is that talking about the their AO match in 2005? after Hewitt played agaist Chela, and Nadal, many people accused him including David.

It's interesting to know that he trained differently to the different coming opponents. I heard that the players ususally train their advantage shoots rather than their fragile ones just before the match, but in normal daily training, it's more balanced.
novanora is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #32
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A little something to read while waiting for the match against Hewitt.
Did you manage to stay up for the match? I'm guessing not...

It started so late that it started after the normal broadcasting time, so I waited until 10:30pm to watch it without looking up anything.

It was very windy conditions, so it was hard to judge the performance from that but it was a solid performance I'd say. There were a lot of extended rallies, relatively evenly contested for the most part.

David served for both sets but got broken comfortably on both occasions, I think to love (hopefully this doesn't become a trend). The attempt serving for the match was a shocker. But in the latter stages of the second, he had many opportunities to break and take the match, which he finally did with a nice backhand return winner.

Hewitt played a pretty good match overall, but was just a bit erratic, dumping a few too many forehands on key points.

So it's Gasquet up next, the player he has the best record against. But the last match they played against each other at Queen's went right down to the wire, third set tie-break, so I won't take him as lightly this time. I think when Gasquet doesn't play as far behind the baseline, some of that match-up advantage is lost.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #33
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel
Did you manage to stay up for the match? I'm guessing not...
I did.
Though I don't seem to remember all that much.
So thanks for the summary. What I do remember are his attempts to serve out the set and then the match. And how I could I forget that... The only good thing about that was the way he recovered from those re-breaks. The last return winner was very nice but I also liked the angled backhand that won him the tiebreak. (I think.)

So Gasquet up next. True, their last match was close. But I'm still just that little bit less nervous when David is up against him. Tradition, I guess.
Joolz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #34
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute

So did I, 36 hours and counting without any sleep(I am about to collapse any moment). Don't have the endurance as I used to stay up for couple of days.
However, it was a good match and it would have been even better if there was no wind on the court. I kinda awaited this match for a couple of years. David played on patches, he was worse after 5-3 in the first set when he allowed Lleyton to even get to a set point. What I found most curious was that almost all of his mistakes did not come when he was going for points but when he was trying to play safe ?! That tells that his game is pretty much on, but he had some decision making conflicts. Plus he was gasping for air few times when Hewitt made him run forward and backward, but on the other hand that is understandable in such a weater and humidity. He should do just fine against Gasquet.
HeretiC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #35
country flag camilia

camilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the interview Joolz and thanks everybody for the summaries since I missed the matches because of the time difference
camilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #36
country flag Minerva

Minerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope that Dickie Gasquet doesn't step out of character, and faces defeat as fate.
Minerva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #37
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

Heretic, I don't know how you managed to do that (36 hours without sleep). I can manage to sleep very little pretty well but not consecutively like that. I would have fallen asleep in front of my computer. I agree that the match would have been better without the wind. I was a little bit nervous about it because I remember that commentators used to say that Hewitt loved playing in windy conditions because he knew he could handle it better than his opponents.

Quote:
I did.
Though I don't seem to remember all that much.
So thanks for the summary. What I do remember are his attempts to serve out the set and then the match. And how I could I forget that... The only good thing about that was the way he recovered from those re-breaks. The last return winner was very nice but I also liked the angled backhand that won him the tiebreak. (I think.)

So Gasquet up next. True, their last match was close. But I'm still just that little bit less nervous when David is up against him. Tradition, I guess.
Not surprisingly. I agree that he recovered well, I particularly remember that set point down in the first set when he missed a couple of forehands then he hits a nicely placed serve, followed up by a well-struck off-forehand right into the corner. As for the second set, it was almost like he completely forgot about that one bad game.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:06 AM   #38
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute

Just in time before the Gasquet match: David's press conference from yesterday.

D. NALBANDIAN/L. Hewitt
7-6, 7-5

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. A good win but a fairly frustrating kind of day?
DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yeah, it was very tough for both. We couldn't play a good tennis, so it was -- for me it was a bad match. I mean, no good quality on the shots.
Not much you can do. So windy you can try to hit close to the lines. It was ugly one.

Q. What do you take out of that kind of game? I suppose that kind of game is a little help.
DAVID NALBANDIAN: Of course you try to play matches, try to win, of course. But like match like today, you go off the court and you don't know if you played good or bad. So that's the worse thing of this match.
But winning always is good. I think I should have win before, or easily both sets. I was break up in both sets, so I couldn't made it in the first one, even in the second one.
A little complicated both sets, but I win, so that's important.

Q. What did you think when you woke up and it was 40 degrees, beautiful day, and you had a rain delay, wind, there was everything today?
DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yeah, it was a very strange day. We warm up with 40. It was so hot we couldn't breathe. Then one minute from another it was completely different: cold, windy, so windy, cloudy. Two tournaments completely different.

Q. And the storms.
DAVID NALBANDIAN: And the storms. Thanks.

Q. What's worse, do you think, playing in the heat or the wind is worse?
DAVID NALBANDIAN: You never know, because in the morning it was so hot. It was very heat, but you could play. I mean, you can do your shots you want, so it's more normal. Just heat.
But today you couldn't do anything. I mean, it was better with the weather, but you couldn't serve, it's tough to return, to hit the ball. You go to the net and the ball is coming, I don't know. It's moving around all the time, so it's tough. I don't know what is worse.

Q. Do you look forward to the matchup in the next rounds for you?
DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, I played a lot of time with Richard. I think he's a young player, very talented. He's a very tough, so it will be tough, like these both matches.
But I don't know how it's going to be tomorrow. If it's going to be windy, heat, you never know, so let's try to play my best. If I do, I feel I have a lot of chance.

Q. Richard is sort of the is serve and volleyer.
DAVID NALBANDIAN: He's doing that?

Q. He's more traditionally a serve and volleyer than a lot of other guys on the tour. You don't agree?
DAVID NALBANDIAN: I don't think so.

Q. I was thinking, would you prepare for him different than someone like Lleyton, who's as baseline player?
DAVID NALBANDIAN: Llodra do much more serve and volley than him.

Q. What do you feel is going to help your game tomorrow? Do you think you have to work on something, take it as it comes?
DAVID NALBANDIAN: I think always when I serve good all my game it's improving, so it's good. I have to try to be focus on that.
Joolz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:03 AM   #39
country flag camilia

camilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond repute

David just won and I watched it
Old 01-16-2009, 06:04 AM   #40
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
Heretic, I don't know how you managed to do that (36 hours without sleep).
I usually sleep 4-6 hours tops, but this time I paid the prize. I oversleep the match with Gasquet.

Quote:
Just in time before the Gasquet match: David's press conference from yesterday.

Q. Richard is sort of the is serve and volleyer.
OMG, is that guy even following tennis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by camilia View Post
David just won and I watched it
Glad for you camilia, , I missed it. I hope some of you will write a report from it.
HeretiC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #41
country flag krystlel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretiC View Post
I usually sleep 4-6 hours tops, but this time I paid the prize. I oversleep the match with Gasquet.
I just realized that I have done the 36 hour thing plenty of times (it's pretty much the equivalent of not sleeping one night), just didn't convert the hours into days correctly.

It was a good match from David's point of view. A bit of a slow start in the first few games, then he started pouncing on Gasquet's second serve and you could see his groundstrokes pushing Gasquet behind the baseline easily. He seemed to be playing quite confidently to me for the most part. This might be one of the most promising lead-ups to a Grand Slam he has had in a while.

Gasquet started going for wild shots in the second set, and I think David got a bit complacent on the return games which impacted on his own service games where he got broken once. But as soon as he got broken, he broke straight back confirming this fact.

So it's Nieminen up next, who I already noticed has been in good form lately even before his win against Djokovic. They cut off the coverage before it ended but I thought Djokovic was overplaying quite a bit. I expect this to be a tough match, a battle.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #42
country flag camilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretiC View Post

OMG, is that guy even following tennis?

Glad for you camilia, , I missed it. I hope some of you will write a report from it.
Well speaking of lack of sleep, I did manage to stay up throughout the match, but the moment I fell asleep and woke up, my memory of the match was like a dream. I remember David played solid, Richard sucked except for one shot that was brilliant.

so, you should stick to Krystlel's report
Old 01-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #43
country flag tennisace

tennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond repute

David will win Sydney (of course)
tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #44
country flag Minerva

Minerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
This might be one of the most promising lead-ups to a Grand Slam he has had in a while.
That is true. If I'm not mistaken, the last time he had a good lead-up to a GS was in 2006 before RG, when he won Estoril and then got to semis in Rome, losing only to Federer in a 3rd set tie-break. That was the last time he ran deep into a GS...
Minerva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #45
country flag crazy_nanine

crazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond repute

very good start to the season, hope he keeps the momentum for the AO
crazy_nanine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote