2009 Australian season thread - Page 55 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #811
country flag Brownie

Brownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 Australian season thread & Livescoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ictmee View Post
That's sung at football stadiums across Europe
This is a good pump up tune too
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2c8imenLWsg
Seriously? That's awesome!
Nice choice I thought I didn't know this song, but I guess I had just never heard the beginning

Brownie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #812
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I think this is a good pump-up song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j7huh5Egew
There was a time I couldn't get this tune out of my head. The video clip still gives me headache though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ictmee View Post
I know its a sad song but his "excitement" usually makes it "hard" for me to concentrate on his tennis!

I've come to the conclusion that inside of Simon-the sparta fighter, there's still an emotional boy whose "excitement" is needed for his best tennis to come out. I'm afraid Les, you might have to keep enduring this "hardship" for the sake of Gillou's career.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #813
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsume View Post
I've come to the conclusion that inside of Simon-the sparta fighter, there's still an emotional boy whose "excitement" is needed for his best tennis to come out.
It's all good

Quote:
I'm afraid Les, you might have to keep enduring this "hardship" for the sake of Gillou's career.
The things I do for you lot #4

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #814
country flag Brownie

Brownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There was a time I couldn't get this tune out of my head. The video clip still gives me headache though.
The video made me a bit woozy too In general, I'd much rather listen to a song than watch its music video...music videos mess up the connection (I'm not really sure if that's the right word) I have with the song. A bit like watching a movie made from a book.

Quote:
I'm afraid Les, you might have to keep enduring this "hardship" for the sake of Gillou's career.

uhoh, have we gone terribly off-topic in the AO thread

Brownie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #815
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

But glad to see Gilles make the QF of a GS playing at 50% until today where he plaed at about 65%.

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #816
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolandriFan View Post
Obviously we're all disappointed about the loss (as we should be), but I was very satisfied with Gilles performance on a whole. This was his breakthrough run in a grand slam and the match against Nadal had many positives for Gilles to take on board. It would have been nice for him to have taken a set, but I believe he's asserting himself as a real threat in these big tournaments so personally, I'm very proud. I just hope he can continue in this fashion, because he really belongs where he is, if not even higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
I'm glad he got quite a lot of applause at the end, but it wasn't a great match at all from him imo, poor serving, very shaky FH... He can play much better than that.
I must have lost my Frenchness again, because I agree with VF and am more than satisfied with Gilles' performance. The match he played would have beaten any other player from these QF rounds except Nadal, because none of them have been all that impressive. Nadal, however, is playing a more amazing tournament than I think anyone ever has (that I have witnessed). Gilles had a horrible first set, but he was playing really well the last two. He blew some big points, but that alone doesn't mean it wasn't a strong match from him. Had he just won a few points here and there he would have beaten Nadal. It might not have been an impressive scoreline, but he was really able to hang with Nadal for most of the match, something no other player has even come close to doing.

I thought he played well, and I think he definitely proved he deserves his spot in the top 10 and deserves to be in the latter rounds of these big events. If he continues to play at the level he has in this tournament I think he'll be top 5 sooner rather than later.

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #817
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I spent the night at my friend's house (she's REALLY pregnant ) and she fell in love with Gilles, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Raine View Post
It's okay if Roddick, Verdasco or Federer wins it.. just not Nadal.
I'll be very unhappy if the winner comes from the bottom half.

Quote:
The journalist says Rafa didn't look happy when Gilles challenged the last shot. Gilles answers that Rafa told him on the contrary that he was not sure at all either the ball was wide. It was more in jest anyway since it was 40-0 and not even close in the end.
If Nadal had been pissed off about that, he wouldn't have smiled and joked around with Gilles at the net. He's a very polite person and isn't ever really mean, but it's not hard to tell when he doesn't like someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Oh Brad Gilbert...I cannot stand him When I heard him commentating earlier in the AO, I thought for sure it was Justin Gimmelstob with all the stupid things he was saying
The thing that really pissed me off during the coverage of Gilles' match were the comments by the commentators about how great Murray is, about how amazingly fit he must have been to play 5 sets even though he was at death's door (how they made it sound, anyway), and then they absolutely tore into Djokovic for pulling out. They're so completely hypocritical, it really makes me sick. When players they like give weak excuses, they treat it as gospel. If Serena, Federer, or someone like that pulled out of a match, they would praise them for being so smart. "Great decision by Serena to pull out here, she doesn't want to risk making it any worse!"

Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #818
country flag *MJP*

*MJP* has a reputation beyond repute*MJP* has a reputation beyond repute*MJP* has a reputation beyond repute*MJP* has a reputation beyond repute*MJP* has a reputation beyond repute*MJP* has a reputation beyond repute*MJP* has a reputation beyond repute*MJP* has a reputation beyond repute*MJP* has a reputation beyond repute*MJP* has a reputation beyond repute*MJP* has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bummer! Now their aren't any Frenchies left
Well done to Gilles for a wonderful match tho! He has been the only player to push Nadal in any of the sets he has played at the AO - Players hadn't been able to take more than 4 games off him in a set So well done to Gilles for making Nadal work for it While im not really a Nadal fan, i think at the moment he is in a league of his own. I watched him live in Rd 2, I have never seen anyone hit the ball soo hard! I was waiting for the balls to explode on impact

*Gulbis* *Wawrinka* *Hewitt* *Paulo* *Santoro* *Clement*
*MJP* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:17 AM   #819
country flag tedlesurfeur

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
The thing that really pissed me off during the coverage of Gilles' match were the comments by the commentators about how great Murray is, about how amazingly fit he must have been to play 5 sets even though he was at death's door (how they made it sound, anyway), and then they absolutely tore into Djokovic for pulling out. They're so completely hypocritical, it really makes me sick.
Channelsurfing.net and you won't get any comments, or second solution : you might want to turn the sound down.

ps: Hi Alli.
tedlesurfeur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #820
country flag Scotso

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_is_onUSA View Post
The commentators before Gilles' match were also saying that he wouldn't have had a chance against Nadal had they not closed the roof. I'm not sure where they got that idea.
It's ridiculous, but not surprising. I'd say probably 99% of the posters on this board know more about tennis than those people, which is pretty sad considering many of them are ex-tour players and ex-coaches. If I had a dime for every time I heard the commentators say "I've never heard of -------" when the person they're discussing is an established top 50 or so player, I'd be a very rich man. Navratilova this week said she'd never heard of Simon until the end of last year. You would think people that spend so much time around the game would at least be familiar with the top 100.

PMac still makes the claim that Roddick has one of the best forehands in the game.

Last edited by Scotso : 01-29-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #821
country flag Scotso

Quote:
I like to hear the sound of the ball being hit, so turning the sound down won't work for me unfortunately. I just need a bigger screen for my internet feed
Those Apple cinema displays only cost a few solid gold bars and your immortal soul, so you should definitely go for it.

I'm with you, I can't watch tennis without hearing the ball.

Last edited by Scotso : 01-29-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #822
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

You're quoting me as if it was my general assessment of his performance as opposed to Paolo's, Scottie, but it wasn't. It was a comment on that sort of little ovation he got when leaving the court. I would have given Serra an ovation if he had played the same match. Since Gilles was the 6th seed and had been living up to his seeding so far, he played a good match, showed at times what he is able of and played really great tennis then, but he can do better than that alltogether (serve, UE and clutch play at the end of each set, he was hardly winning a point then).

Not so long ago I would have been absolutely delighted with his effort (I was so euphoric last year when he put up a good fight against Rafa in Melbourne too).
But we know he had been waiting for that big match in a Slam and so badly wanted to "faire péter quelque chose de grand" in a Slam, so he did well, but if I gauge his match by *his* expectations, it was not the epic performance he was certainly hoping for. His goal was not to be the first one to win 5 games in a set against Rafa instead of 4 so far and to play an entertaining night session match like Santoro against Fed.

But of course I'm very satisfied with his tournament, etc. Gosh, I'm amazed by the guy, don't make me sound ungrateful.

Last edited by Truc : 01-29-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #823
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But we know he had been waiting for that big match in a Slam and so badly wanted to "faire péter quelque chose de grand" in a Slam, so he did well, but if I gauge his match by *his* expectations, it was not the epic performance he was certainly hoping for. His goal was not to be the first one to win 5 games in a set against Rafa instead of 4 so far and to play an entertaining night session match like Santoro against Fed.
Agreed. In his pre-AO interviews, he put so much emphasis on playing top players in the later stages of big events as his main goal/motivation that I can't help but feel a bit disappointed / let down with his performance against Nadal. Not because of the UE, the DF ect. but because IMO he didn't show the same level of steel determination, heart and courage as he did in Madrid; it was overall a nice match from Gillou, just a tad too comfortable (not sure if that's the right word) for my expectation and probably his, according to the said interviews.

Quote:
But of course I'm very satisfied with his tournament, etc. Gosh, I'm amazed by the guy, don't make me sound ungrateful.
I am probably not as much satisfied with Gilles' tournament as you are. Scotty quoted the wrong person. ^_^

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #824
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi Ted Nice to 'see' you around again

I like to hear the sound of the ball being hit, so turning the sound down won't work for me unfortunately. I just need a bigger screen for my internet feed
That's eactly what I have just said on Richard Gasquet's message board. I had to sit through over 4 hours of the gypsy kings on saturday because I like to hear the striking of the ball.
I don't think Gilles played that bad a match and as Volandrifan said this is his breakthrough in a GS. He is always such a dangerous opponent and the rest of the field surely know this now.
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #825
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agreed. In his pre-AO interviews, he put so much emphasis on playing top players in the later stages of big events as his main goal/motivation that I can't help but feel a bit disappointed / let down with his performance against Nadal. Not because of the UE, the DF ect. but because IMO he didn't show the same level of steel determination, heart and courage as he did in Madrid; it was overall a nice match from Gillou, just a tad too comfortable (not sure if that's the right word) for my expectation and probably his, according to the said interviews.

I am probably not as much satisfied with Gilles' tournament as you are. Scotty quoted the wrong person. ^_^
Agreed, I thought that if there was anyone who could mentally take apart Rafael in a slam, it woulf be Gilles. But Gilles just looked weak on the big points which is just so uncharacteistic. I think it was just nerves though. And next time I think he will nail it.

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote