2009 Australian season thread - Page 54 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #796
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 Australian season thread & Livescoring

Q. What is your take on the match today?

GILLES SIMON: What do you think (smiling)?

Q. You played it.

GILLES SIMON: Yeah, I played it. Unfortunately for me, I gave him the break every time in the first game of every set. It was hard after to come back. I didn't manage in the first set. It was better in the second and third. But finally, he was far better than me.

I mean, the last time I saved so many breakpoints and everything, and this time no one. Every time I had the chance, he played better than me. He hits a winner every time. I mean, he was just too good today.

Q. Is that a matter of experience, that he plays best on the big points?

GILLES SIMON: No, I don't know. I think it's a matter of level. I really have to do some unbelievable shots sometimes just to come back in the match, and then it's hard to play like this. It's harder in three sets, 'cause when you start the match, when finally you lose the set, then you know you have three more sets to win if you want to win the match. So it's harder.

But, I mean, I just gave what I had. It was a good match.

Q. You thought you got the maximum out of it, the maximum you could achieve?

GILLES SIMON: I don't know. You never know. Sometimes just one points or two points different and the match can change. I mean, I have a set point. Even if I have no chance, because he played a good serve, and then he hits the forehand. So there was nothing to do.

But, I mean, it's just one point, and if you win it, it can be a different match. It can always be better. But I think I did what I had to do on the court. He was just better than me today. He didn't miss anything. He didn't give any point during three sets. He was serving very well.

Q. You're happy with what you've achieved this tournament?

GILLES SIMON: Yes, of course. It was the first time I was on the top eight seed and I reached the quarterfinals. So that's why I told you I did what I had to do on this match, on the tournament. It's very nice for me.

But when you lose a match, you're never happy. I know that I had some chance to do better, and I really wanted to win maybe just one set, but just to feel different. To lose three sets to Love, it's always hard.

Q. How do you assess Rafael's chances of going on and winning the tournament?

GILLES SIMON: I mean, he has a good chance to win. He's No. 1, so... He didn't lose any set. He's playing very good. Maybe Roger because he did a very nice match yesterday. But I don't know. If he's playing like this, he have a really good chance to win.

Q. What is better about his serve?

GILLES SIMON: I don't know. It seems to me that I returned better the last time I played against him. And this time, it was only better in the third set. But in the two first sets, he did so many winners with his serve. Finally we were just playing from the baseline, but on my serve. So that's why it was a good match.

But I was just not able to break him. That was good for confidence, I mean. I think that's why he was really good in every important point because he hits a winner any time. I think you can watch the video. Every time I had the chance, he touched the line or... So there was nothing to do.

Q. Do you think that's the big difference from the match in Madrid?

GILLES SIMON: Yes, I think, really. In the first set, it was really better, it was 6‑2. That's not a problem. But if you have one chance, you have to take it against him. You can't have three, four, five opportunities. That's too much. If you miss one or two, then you lose in three sets, just like this.

I think I was better in Madrid. But finally it's very close.

Q. What is his biggest strength?

GILLES SIMON: The mental. I don't know. He's doing everything very well on the court. He has a lot improved his game. He's able to run. He can attack. He can comes to the net when it's important. Sometime it was 15‑30 on his serve, and then he did a serve and volley.

Every time I play against him, he's the best player, I think. He's still improving.
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...144104015.html
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #797
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
He's very laudatory about Rafa, as usual, he's a model for him, etc.
Please not, Gilles. Don't take Nadal's tennis as an example.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #798
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Gilles really wasn't in Shanghai, that's why I'm glad he mentions that match against Nole again and his reaction at the time.
I have no problem with him not being gracious after a defeat, I prefer him to be honest, no need to be phoney if he's pissed off. But I like he's able to admit months later that his reaction was wrong.
TBH I wasn't aware of that. Does he just not particularly like Novak? Not that i'd think of him badly for that because it seems that many don't
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #799
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Please not, Gilles. Don't take Nadal's tennis as an example.
A model for the attitude!

His press conference in French (I posted the video in the other thread):
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2...h-parfait.html
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #800
country flag Brownie

Brownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_is_onUSA View Post
I set my alarm to wake up for the match, but my brain successfully bargained for sleep over wake . This is why I'm still a pre-Simontard. I suffered punishment from my lameness because after I fell back asleep I had this horrible nightmare about being robbed...

I let my dvr capture the match and I just finished watching it this morning. Well, I should say finished watching until it cut out 3/4 of the way through the third set. There wasn't much intensity in the match (a few spurts here and there but nothing sustained) and I could tell the direction it was heading. When the match isn't close, it doesn't produce an emotional investment in me - so I'm actually not feeling sad at all. That's good so that I don't get what I call "tennis hangover." All worked up just to be let down, completely worn out, unproductive, wondering "and I put myself through this because?"...
I did the same as you. I woke up at 3:30am, but my internet wasn't working, so I went back to sleep and watched the dvr recording on ESPN instead. It cut out in the 3rd set and I was hopeful (but not too optimistic), that Gilles had pulled one of his amazing comebacks. Gilles had some great winners, which kept the match not so boring/one-sided.

Oh Brad Gilbert...I cannot stand him When I heard him commentating earlier in the AO, I thought for sure it was Justin Gimmelstob with all the stupid things he was saying

Brownie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #801
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do have to laugh that another commentator (Dick Enberg) was reading Gilles' ATP bio info and said his nickname is "Poussin" and mispronounced it like a typical American would (Otherwise, if pronounced properly it sounds waaaay too much like a slang term that isn't said on primetime tv without a $fine$).
Actually, it doesn't sound that alike if pronounced with a proper French intonation. Most people here wouldn't know what I'm talking about if I pronounce Poussincat dolls for instance.

edit : if I pronounce their right name, many still wouldn't know though; but that's another (good) story. ^^

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #802
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

haha no. I only see their names on the cover of magazines, never actually heard any of their songs. I may be wrong be it looks like a girls band whose members have been chosen for some obvious reasons that have little to do with singing.

As for the next pre-match song, I don't mind listening to music I've never heard before, as long as it makes Gilles win.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #803
country flag turtle-rn

Quote:
Yes, the caliber of their musical talent isn't grand. But don't worry, you don't have to be embarrassed for being a fan

If their singing skills match Paris Hilton's, I might give a try.

Quote:
I thought his winning depended on luck with the net cords I think that you should pick the next pre-match song (don't forget the joke too!)
That's too big of a responsability for me to take. Gilles' career is way too precious for me to ruin it with an ABBA song! ^_^

Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #804
country flag Brownie

Brownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
(don't forget the joke too!)
My mum was in a bad mood yesterday, asked me to tell her a joke, and the only one I could think of was your vulture joke. I don't think I hit the punchline the right way because she didn't find it too funny

Haha, I was thinking Dancing Queen too

Old 01-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #805
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsume View Post

That's too big of a responsability for me to take. Gilles' career is way too precious for me to ruin it with an ABBA song! ^_^
I DEMAND some Abba before his next match

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #806
country flag turtle-rn

My favourite ABBA song is "The winner takes it all".

Old 01-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #807
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Right then we need a YouTube link for that for Rotterdam Nat

Old 01-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #808
country flag turtle-rn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ictmee View Post
Right then we need a YouTube link for that for Rotterdam Nat
It's actually a rather sad song about a separation. It might jinx his "excitement" for Rotterdam. >_<

Old 01-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #809
country flag Brownie

I think this is a good pump-up song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j7huh5Egew

Old 01-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #810
country flag MsTree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsume View Post
It's actually a rather sad song about a separation. It might jinx his "excitement" for Rotterdam. >_<
I know its a sad song but his "excitement" usually makes it "hard" for me to concentrate on his tennis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I think this is a good pump-up song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j7huh5Egew
That's sung at football stadiums across Europe
This is a good pump up tune too
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2c8imenLWsg