2009 Australian season thread - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #151
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Open series 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
(tough one for me personally, but that's not important + not great for them to play a friend + no great news for the viewers either )
The obvious solution to this : go for a Misha-Gillou 4R match!

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #152
country flag Eimear O'Mahony

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a winnable enough quarter of the section for Gilles. I can't see too many players in that section who would give him trouble if he plays his best tennis. Monfils is a very inconsistent player so it depends which Monfils shows up as to whether Gilles comes through that match or not. Saying that, I'd fancy Gilles to beat Monfils even with Monfils playing good tennis. I'd love to see a Simon/Murray semi-final which could happen I think if both players get to that stage if I remember the draw rightly?
Eimear O'Mahony is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #153
country flag Keijan

Keijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it could happen if Gilles beats Rafa in quarters. (I'd love to see Richard beating Rafa in 4th round but I don't think that will ever happen in this world !) But I'm not sure Gilles can first get past Gaël that easily because Gaël seems on a great roll since the beginning of the year, and sadly we can't say that much for Gillou.

Of course all my favs had to be in the same half of the draw, except for Paulo I hate that, I always feel guilty cheering for one or the other !
Keijan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #154
country flag Keijan

Keijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond repute

Truc, who would you be cheering for during a Simon/Monfils match ?
It's a hypothetical situation, I'm not jinxing them in any way
(have they played each other before by the way ? I only remember the sorry doubles, cf my avatar )

Last edited by Keijan : 01-16-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #155
country flag simplet

simplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keijan View Post
Truc, who would you be cheering for during a Simon/Monfils match ?
It's a hypothetical situation, I'm not jinxing them in any way
(have they played each other before by the way ? I only remember the sorry doubles, cf my avatar )
That's easy. If they play each other, always cheer for the one who has the most points and confidence to gain. That way next time they won't meet so early. For example with this draw I'm hoping for a good match between Gilles and Gael, won by Gael in let's say five sets, and then a Monfils-Gasquet quarter-final won by Gasquet in four. That way Gael gets into the top ten, and Richard makes an impression and forgets about 2008.
Also that way you're always cheering for the underdog, that's easier.
simplet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #156
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

As for me, I cheer for Gilles Simon over the whole ATP tour, so that's easy too. :fangirl:

(If you like cheering for the underdog, you have to cheer against Richard in the French battles, simplet , he always is the favourite except against Jo, he clearly was the favourite against Gilles the other day too on Betfair & Co.)
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #157

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have the same problems you guys would in whether to cheer for Monfils or Simon ... Simon all the way!!! However, Simon vs Murray now that's a whole different prospect!!! I wouldn't have a clue who to go for there so I can appreciate your Simon/Monfils dilemma a little
Old 01-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #158
country flag Keijan

It seems I'm the only one with a Simon/Monfils dilemma here I looked on atp.com and they actually never played each other. How strange !

But Simplet, if Richard get to the quarters it means he has beaten Rafa the round before, so there is his big impression I also feel like no matter the rankings, Richard is very rarely the underdog against the Frenchies. And are we sure that Gaël will enter the top 10 if he gets to the quarters ? Since he has absolutely no points to save, maybe a third round win will suffice. Or maybe even a quarter won't, if the other top ten are doing great...
As for Gillou, after his big declarations like his aim is at least to go into 4th round, he has a lot to lose if Gaël beats him, and I really don't want to hear the comments people are going to make if he doesn't realise what he said he was expecting to do !

What can I say ? I want them all to win the tournament (Honestly the victory will go to the best, I just want them all to be in top form, beginning with Jo )
Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #159
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eimear O'Mahony View Post
However, Simon vs Murray now that's a whole different prospect!!! I wouldn't have a clue who to go for there so I can appreciate your Simon/Monfils dilemma a little
That's my dilemma too although Gillou has managed to capture my heart so I cheer for him. It's a win win situation really! So I keep telling myself anyway

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ictmee View Post
That's my dilemma too although Gillou has managed to capture my heart so I cheer for him. It's a win win situation really! So I keep telling myself anyway

Yeah I must agree he seems to have captured my heart too and although I'll always be a Murray fan too more and more I'm beginning to think I'd cheer for Gilles in a Simon/Murray encounter. I know what you mean about the win/win. At the Masters Cup in Shanghai I found myself able to appreciate the tennis from both of them when they played because I didn't mind who won because either way one of my favourite players won
Old 01-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #161
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

Gillou is the only Frenchman for me, and yes I'd cheer for him even if he was playing Murray I think Gillou has a reasonable draw,but I try not to look too far ahead

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:57 AM   #162
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Monday's OOP is out, Gillou must be playing on Tuesday

There's been a few Frenchies to occupy my heart over the years and I still have a soft spot for Henri Leconte And I cheer for Jo because he has such a lovely smile although I'm not a great fan of his game
But Gillou (and Andy) have me screaming at my laptop / TV in a way I've never done before, must be getting old

Old 01-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #163

Bring on Tuesday then (or Monday in this part of the world!). Let's hope that Gilles' matches will actually be televised and he's not stuck on the outside courts which will have either no cameras or they don't bother showing the match (don't think Eurosport UK has the multi-court option unfortunately). It'd be nice to see even one of his early round matches. Fingers crosseed!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #164
country flag MsTree

Thought you were in the same part of the world as me! We're 11 hours behind Melbourne and play starts at 11am so that's midnight for me. Had to thoroughly work it out as I've made mistakes here before Like this morning when I got up 2 hours early for the Sydney Final

Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #165

No I am from the same part of the world as you. I'm from Ireland *LOL* I meant it'll be midnight on Monday here rather than 11am Tuesday morning. I'm probably not making much sense. Only got about 3 hours sleep because I was out last night so my apologies! *LOL*