2009 Australian season thread - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #136
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Open series 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keijan View Post
I still think he's a very honest person, but maybe he's not completely honest with himself here.
I think you might have put your finger on it there Keijan, and that makes me ever so slightly concerned

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #137
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

I don't find that concerning because he is like that a lot imo.

I find him very honest as he won't say things to the media just because that's what the media want to hear. He will say what is on his mind. Which means that if he's pissed off after a match, he won't make any effort either to give the opponent credit in interviews.

But what is on his mind isn't necessarily true, he sometimes deludes himself imo, when he means he lost because he was unlucky, or because he didn't really want it, etc. He regularly says that. Like when he says he doesn't want to win matches 6-2 6-1 or the story after the Youzhny match in Miami. As for me, I don't buy it, I don't think he is completely honest with himself there either. But it's apparently his way to deal with those situations, so... whatever works for him.

Last edited by Truc : 01-15-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #138
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is perfectly fine to voice high ambitions for the AO and I have no difficulties to believe that he was not fully motivated for a tourney like Sydney. But to experiment in match in which the opponent also played badly, does ring a bit strange, in particular when it was his first real match of 2009. There was enough time to experiment at the Hopman Cup.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #139
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure Richard also deserves way more credit than Gilles is giving him, of course, Tulasne acknowledges it was the perfect tactic against Gilles. And if he had been given a chance to win, Gilles would have been too happy to finally beat Ritchie.
But Gilles must also have played in a weird way for the journalist to ask him "what the heck were you thinking out there?"

It's the easy way out, but it makes sense he decided to put himself in that frame of mind. "I'm just experimenting around anyway." That way he doesn't feel crushed by the defeat a few days before the AO.
It's quite artificial because we know he badly, badly wants to beat Richard, on the contrary. But it was not the appropriate time for that match.

Last edited by Truc : 01-15-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #140
country flag Keijan

Keijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond repute

I think Truc voiced my thoughts much better than I did (I really have trouble voicing them correctly in English so I'm going to practice a bit ! Sorry for that )

He's honest in the sense where he says what he believes is true and doesn't care about who's listening or if he should say it or not. But I think there are some things he just refuses to admit ("à chaud", when he's still in the match and didn't have time to reflect much on it). As a result, what he says is not always accurate but it's not because he's lying or pretending, but because it's his way of protecting himself, even if he's not totally conscient of it. How does that sound okay it was far from fluent English but I'm working on it.

This way of thinking is very close to mine actually. I often refuse to see the situation as it really is so as not to admit that I failed, or didn't do all that I should have. And then I have enough and sit somewhere to deal with myself, because deep down I know that I'm wrong and it's not a satisfying feeling at all. But I'm probably reading to much in those quotes, haha ^^ And as Truc said, whatever works for him.

As long as he doesn't start to experiment in the middle of the AO final against Murray when he's leading two sets to love, I'm fine with it

Last edited by Keijan : 01-15-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Keijan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #141
country flag Brownie

Brownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond repute

Gilles is in Rafa's quarter for AO and is playing Pablo Andujar (who??) in the 1st round.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/.../ms/index.html

Brownie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #142
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah... ALLEZ Gilles. I believe!

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #143
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Gilles is in Rafa's quarter for AO and is playing Pablo Andujar (who??) in the 1st round.
Exactly my reaction.

Just checked on Wikipedia :
Pablo Andújar
best ranking : 88th (25/08/2008)
entered a GS MD only twice before, lost to Nicolas Devilder in USO 08 1st R.
and that's it!
Should be an easy first round for Gillou if he's not experimenting too much.>_<

LaMonf, Richie, Serra & Devilder are also in the same quarter. (and Misha )

Gilles' quarter for the lazy handed

[1] Nadal vs C Rochus
Serra vs Karanusic
Schwank vs Haas
Q vs [29] Tursunov
[24] Gasquet vs Junqueira
Spadea vs Istomin
Canas vs Kiefer
Hewitt vs [13] Gonzalez

[12] Monfils vs Vassallo Arguello
Youzhny vs Koubek
Golubev vs Fognini
Massu vs [17] Almagro
[25] Karlovic vs Gimeno-Traver
Volandri vs Ancic
Guccione vs Devilder
Andujar vs [6] Simon

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:49 AM   #144
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsume View Post
[1] Nadal vs C Rochus
Serra vs Karanusic
Schwank vs Haas
Q vs [29] Tursunov
[24] Gasquet vs Junqueira
Spadea vs Istomin
Canas vs Kiefer
Hewitt vs [13] Gonzalez

[12] Monfils vs Vassallo Arguello
Youzhny vs Koubek
Golubev vs Fognini
Massu vs [17] Almagro
[25] Karlovic vs Gimeno-Traver
Volandri vs Ancic
Guccione vs Devilder
Andujar vs [6] Simon
This is shit, almost all frenchies packed together.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 01-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #145
country flag anaquot

anaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond repute

statistically with all of the high ranked frenchies they are bound to seem to be packed together like all of the russian girls
anaquot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:29 AM   #146
country flag simplet

simplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Well Serra has to beat Nadal to play Gasquet, same for Gasquet if he wants to play against Monfils/Simon in the quarterfinals. So if one of them do it, I'll gladly take a french duel in the quarters!

But I agree that it sucks for Simon and Monfils to meet early like that.
simplet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:39 AM   #147
country flag HoistDaColors

HoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
if the rest of the ATP can't beat them, let them beat each other.

seriously, this draw is not that bad. He has beaten Karlovic before and Ancic isn't 100%. When it comes to Monfils, we'll just have to wait and see who is more consistent that day. (Gilles, below 50% first serve ain't gonna fly...)
HoistDaColors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:54 AM   #148
country flag Truc

I rather see it like simplet and as for me, I'd even glady take a Simon-Monfils match!

Some news in L’Equipe:
LES BOBOS DE SIMON. – Ce n’est peut-être pas grave, mais Gilles Simon se passerait bien de ces douleurs persistantes au biceps droit et au pied gauche. « C’est surtout celle sur le dessus du pied qui m’ennuie parce qu’elle affecte mes déplacements, surtout au retour », regrettait hier le 7e mondial.
Probably nothing serious, but he has persistant pain in the right biceps and in the top of the left foot. He says that the foot is annoying him because it hampers his movement, especially in return.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 AM   #149
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
.........and as for me, I'd even glady take a Simon-Monfils match!
But wouldn't this one tear you apart?

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 01-16-2009, 06:28 AM   #150
country flag Truc

Still, the positives clearly outweigh the few negatives (tough one for me personally, but that's not important + not great for them to play a friend + no great news for the viewers either ). It means they would both be in the 4th round of a Slam, one of them would make it to a QF, for both of them it's pretty much the best seed they could get at that point because they're both really beatable... Honestly, it sounds great to me.

But they're really, really not there yet. With Karlovic, Ancic, Youzhny, etc. in that part of the draw. And both having painful feet.