Sydney: 'It is a far, far better thing that he does...' - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #16
country flag zsanika

zsanika has a reputation beyond reputezsanika has a reputation beyond reputezsanika has a reputation beyond reputezsanika has a reputation beyond reputezsanika has a reputation beyond reputezsanika has a reputation beyond reputezsanika has a reputation beyond reputezsanika has a reputation beyond reputezsanika has a reputation beyond reputezsanika has a reputation beyond reputezsanika has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney: 'It is a far, far better thing that he does...'

Novak Djokovic heading to Sydney

Wednesday 7 January 2009

World No. 3 Novak Djokovic has been granted the second men’s wildcard to the Medibank International Sydney, which begins on Sunday 11 January at Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre.

The Australian Open defending champion will head to Sydney later this week following his loss to Latvian Ernests Gulbis (6-4, 6-4) in the Brisbane International today.

It will be the Serbian star’s first visit to the harbour city and he is looking forward to continuing his preparation for the Australian Open at the Medibank International Sydney.

“I’m very grateful to receive the wildcard to Sydney,” said Djokovic. “It was disappointing to lose in Brisbane but I now have another chance for more high quality matches in Sydney.”

“I have heard a lot about the tournament and I am looking forward to playing there.”

Tournament Director Craig Watson is delighted to welcome the entertaining Serb to the Medibank International Sydney as the third top 10 player.

“It is obviously disappointing for Novak to have bowed out in Brisbane as he gears up for the Australian Open,” said Watson.

“We certainly understand that he will be looking for matches leading up to the Open and with that we are happy to be in a position to provide Novak with a wildcard for the Medibank International Sydney.”

Djokovic will be top seed in the men’s draw which also includes French pair Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Gilles Simon, Argentine David Nalbandian and four time Medibank International Sydney champion Lleyton Hewitt.

The women’s field boasts Serena Williams, Dinara Safina, Elena Dementieva, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Australians Casey Dellacqua and Sam Stosur.

Tickets for the Medibank International Sydney are available now through Ticketek via phone: 1300 888 104 or http://www.ticketek.com.au.
zsanika is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #17
country flag Herdwick

Herdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond repute

Karin - so sorry. I thought you'd declined. My title will be lost on anyone who's not read Dickens so by all means replace it with yours.

Or please do start the AO one, unless Fortuna objects

Ahem - I came here before seeing the Cyberspace!

Last edited by Herdwick : 01-07-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Herdwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #18
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdwick View Post
Karin - so sorry. I thought you'd declined. My title will be lost on anyone who's not read Dickens so by all means replace it with yours.

Or please do start the AO one, unless Fortuna objects

Ahem - I came here before seeing the Cyberspace!
I think Fortuna would if anyone took the AO away from her - I personally wouldn't dare But Karin has many more chances - and I love Dickens!!!

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #19
country flag ellewoods

ellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond repute

I posted this on Djokovic's official forum but will repost here:

Well I am back from my adventures in Brisbane and after Novak's loss I felt it had been a bad decision to go see him play. He was pretty uninspiring in that match and yes there were many contributing factors but i could see he was not into it. There was no fire in him and I hope this will return when he plays in Sydney.

HOWEVER! I did meet him yesterday! I was about to leave for the day but decided I should do one last check of the practice courts to see if I could spot any players of interest. And lo and behold!!! He was just finishing his session and came out and signed autographs and took photos. I was very lucky to get two autographs and a photo with him. It was one of the best days of my life!

I am glad that, despite his loss, he was still very happy and cheerful to sign autographs for his fans.

And I will definitely try to go to the Sydney tournament. I am hoping they give him night matches otherwise I have work during the day. Or I hope he makes the semis/finals so I can go on the weekend. He is apparently arriving on Saturday (which I think is stupid cos he should be settled in and give himself time to get used to the Sydney courts) so I will also try and get to the courts to see him practice this weekend.

Am I right to think that he has a bye in the first round?
ellewoods is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #20
country flag Herdwick

Herdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. Remembered you were there when we were suffering on here Tuesday! No point blaming yourself and lucky you for meeting him.

We have agreed we shall start the year afresh in Sydney. I would have thought he'd have gone straight there - perhaps he's gone surfing.
Herdwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #21
country flag ellewoods

ellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond reputeellewoods has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, here's hoping for a fresh start in Sydney

Oh I forgot to say I met Marian too. He was sooo adorable and so surpised when I asked for his autograph and photo haha.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #22
country flag Running:Free

Running:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellewoods View Post
Oh I forgot to say I met Marian too. He was sooo adorable and so surpised when I asked for his autograph and photo haha.
That's cute Glad you found a silver lining in that trip, Elle
Running:Free is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #23
country flag ellewoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running:Free View Post
That's cute Glad you found a silver lining in that trip, Elle
Oh yes, I definitely saw the silver lining! I see it like this, if Djokovic hadn't lost in Brisbane, he would have played second round yesterday and hence not have been at the practice courts at the time when I went, therefore I would not have met him. Further, if he hadn't lost, he wouldnt be coming to Sydney and hence I would not be able to see him play again.

So people, dont despair..every cloud has a silver lining!

Also, I kinda wanna make him a little book of messages and supportive comments etc from his fans. Do you think this is a good idea? And do you think I might be able to get it to him? I'm worried I wont be as lucky in Sydney as I was in Brisbane as the Serbian popultion is much larger here and hence harder to get near him. The other thing is whether I can compose it in time!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #24
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Elle Thanks so much for your report. Sorry he lost when you watched him play, but at least you got to meet him. I'm so happy for you, that it all worked out Yes Marian is a sweetie too - very modest and a gentleman. I don't know why they're staying in Brisbane so long But I did read somewhere that Nole and Marian have been playing golf in Brisbane, so maybe they may have friends/relatives there and enjoying some relaxing time Don't know for sure though.

About the guestbook thing - sounds like a nice idea, but I guess it depends how much time it will take you to prepare. I've never been to Sydney so I don't know what your chances will be to meet them there again - but I know Nole always comes out to practice about 2 and a half hours before his matches, so if you hung around the practice courts at around that time, you may be lucky

Again - thanks for your reports and so glad you had fun

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #25
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellewoods View Post
Oh yes, I definitely saw the silver lining! I see it like this, if Djokovic hadn't lost in Brisbane, he would have played second round yesterday and hence not have been at the practice courts at the time when I went, therefore I would not have met him. Further, if he hadn't lost, he wouldnt be coming to Sydney and hence I would not be able to see him play again.

So people, dont despair..every cloud has a silver lining!

Also, I kinda wanna make him a little book of messages and supportive comments etc from his fans. Do you think this is a good idea? And do you think I might be able to get it to him? I'm worried I wont be as lucky in Sydney as I was in Brisbane as the Serbian popultion is much larger here and hence harder to get near him. The other thing is whether I can compose it in time!
Before Federer winning his first slam, some of his fans (all over the world) used to collect messages, put in a red envelope and gave him the envelope during tournaments. I don't know whether they are still doing this though. If you are going to do it, Sydney is a good time because Chinese New Year is coming (during AO) and red envelope is kind of good luck. From the way he carried a good luck charm in his tennis bag during Olympics, I believe he's superstitious enough
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #26
country flag ellewoods

I definitely would not mind spending today composing it. Even if it was just a few messages from you guys and the people on his official forums. Should we give it a go?

The red envelope idea sounds awesome but I dont know where I am going to find one big enough! I'll go to the shops later today to have a look. PM me your messages? I should probably start a new thread but I don't want to include messages from total randoms lol
Old 01-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #27
country flag ~Maya~
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute

When is draw coming out for Sydney? Is it tonight?
~Maya~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #28
country flag kalisita

kalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
When is draw coming out for Sydney? Is it tonight?
Yes. The draw is scheduled for Jan 10 at noon in Sydney. I believe Sydney is 16 hrs ahead of east coast US so that means the ceremeony should begin at 8 pm tonight. But, who knows when we'll get to see it. Took forever for Brisbane to come out. Hopefully, Sydney will be faster.

edit: Just saw that they're doing autograph sessions first at noon. The draw ceremony itself won't begin until 1 pm.

Last edited by kalisita : 01-10-2009 at 12:31 AM.
kalisita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:22 AM   #29
country flag ~Maya~
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisita View Post
Yes. The draw is scheduled for Jan 10 at noon in Sydney. I believe Sydney is 16 hrs ahead of east coast US so that means the ceremeony should begin at 8 pm tonight. But, who knows when we'll get to see it. Took forever for Brisbane to come out. Hopefully, Sydney will be faster.

edit: Just saw that they're doing autograph sessions first at noon. The draw ceremony itself won't begin until 1 pm.
Thanks! I am not going to hope to see it until after midnight at least. *sigh*
~Maya~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:13 AM   #30
country flag kalisita

kalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney draw. http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/commo...09/338/mds.pdf

1st Quarter
Djokovic vs Bye
Seppi vs Mathieu
Ancic vs Malisse
Melzer vs Robredo

2nd Quarter
Tsonga vs Bye
Bolelli vs Starace
Nieminen vs Lopez
Guccione vs Berdych