Amer 2009 cheering thread- maybe some decent tennis on european clay? :o - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #46
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amer 2009 cheering thread (the australian start)

Eureka!!!!! Me of little faith
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #47
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Q&A with Amer Delic

Wednesday 21 January 2009
By Betina Correya

Q. How do you feel about winning your match against Paul-Henri Mathieu today? You looked a little out of it …

Amer Delic: Oh man, it was awful tennis. Obviously I give credit to Paul; he played well. I wasn’t necessarily nervous, it was just that I was trying to stick to my game plan. I had it, but I just didn’t execute it. And then finally in the third set, I was back to the wall, I relaxed a little bit and tried to play it the way I like to play. Obviously it was a little bit of a different story. I think the adrenalin is still kind of flowing. So I’m pretty good, but I think in about an hour or two I’ll be crashing. I’m glad I got through this and I’m looking forward to the next one.

Q. How do you hold up in consecutive five-set matches in hot conditions?

AD: I guess you follow up with another five-set match. My body is good; I did my off-season training. Obviously I’m going to go and refresh the legs, and I’ll have another day off and we’ll see. Adrenalin gets you through .. It’s never easy playing a five-setter. I think the first day that I played it was a little bit hotter, but we didn’t have as long rallies.

Q. What did you think of the rowdy supporters in your match today?

AD: I think what happened was some Serbian followers came and then they were cheering back and forth across the court. I couldn’t control any of that, I was trying to, but I felt bad for Paul and I apologised to him right after it happened. It’s

tough, obviously. I like those fans - they’re getting me through these matches - but I think today was bad at the times when the other side came across. The fans are energetic. I’m Bosnian-American, but the fans still feel like I’m Bosnian. I was born and lived in Bosnia until I was 14. They’re proud of me and I’m proud of them. What’s wrong with cheering for your country?

Q. How hard is it to concentrate when your fans are being rowdy?

AD: It wasn’t easy because I’m the middleman for this circus out there … It was hard. The adrenalin was flowing, I was trying to calm them down.

Q. You will play Novak Djokovic in the third round. Have you played him before?

AD: I played Novak in Wimbledon two years ago. It was 7-6 in the fourth set and I lost, but it was a good match. It was on the grass, so different surface, different day.

Q. Do you think you can beat Djokovic at this stage of the tournament?

AD: Why not? Things have been going my way; why stop it here?

Q. Have you seen much of Melbourne?

AD: This is my fifth year in Melbourne, and I haven’t really seen anything other than tennis courts and hotels, so I’m still here as a tourist … I’ve been seeing these commercials for the aquarium here. I actually went to my first cricket match the weekend before the qualifiers started, so that was kind of cool going to the MCG. My coach Craig O’Shannessy is Australian, so he kind of guided me through that. I went to a Twenty20 (match), so that was kind of easy to understand.

Q. Didn’t you have Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley as a coach in the past?

AD: Craig was my college coach for three years at the University of Illinois. He’s been a mentor, almost like a second father to me.

Q. What motivates and inspires you? What gets you back on track?

AD: Do I really need any more motivation than the fact that I’m still a lucky loser here? I’m playing in front of fans that come out here and watch us. This is my job being a tennis player - do I really need anything else?

Q. Who’s your favourite player of all-time?

AD: Either Patrick Rafter or Stefan Edberg. They’re just classic guys and fun to watch.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #48
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting Deb
Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #49
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the match the atmosphere was insane. I have to thank the Serbian hecklers for firing Amer up - he looked ready to give in tamely before they came and annoyed everyone After that he had a look on his face, like, "Screw you - not only Serbs could win tennis matches."

Paulo was much better off the ground, of course, but Amer kept playing aggressively and snuck through quite a few lovely winners. The aces column helped him too.

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #50
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

They got a camera out to the court and showed a fair bit of the fifth set. I was really impressed at his composure - something he's not really known for. He just kept holding his serve so easily and throwing down the big serves. It was great to see. I wish he could be so consistent all the time but look at his inconsistency even within matches. anyway, this is a fantastic result for him. And it sounds like he handled the whole 'dueling fan groups' situation quite well. It's not like he knows the guys personally, but very stand-up for him to apologize to Paulo anyway. Glad you had fun at the match!

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 01-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #51
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

Well my hope is that next match he will be on a show court and I can actually watch for a change.
Thanks for the info Jitterbug
Old 01-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #52
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait for the next match up.
Airtime!!!
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #53
country flag Deboogle!.

Lucky loser all right: Delic moves into 3rd round

By JOHN PYE – 16 minutes ago

MELBOURNE, Australia — Amer Delic need only look at the draw to be reminded of his good fortune at the Australian Open.

He made the field as a lucky loser, and has knocked off No. 28-seeded Paul-Henri Mathieu in five sets. Next up is a third-round match against defending champion Novak Djokovic.

"Things have been going my way," he said. "Why stop it here?"

Delic rallied from two sets down Wednesday to beat Mathieu 1-6, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (3), 9-7, and now the Bosnian-born American is looking forward to his next match.

"Do I really need any more motivation than the fact that I'm still a lucky loser here and playing in front of fans that have come out to watch me?" he asked.

Two years ago at Wimbledon, he lost to Djokovic in four sets in the second round. The 26-year-old Delic isn't discounting his chances, even if it's the first time in 10 majors that he's reached the third round.

Given the history in the Balkans, and the mix of its migrants to Australia, the atmosphere for Delic's match against the 21-year-old Serb could give him an edge.

Delic's run has attracted a group of enthusiastic fans — unruly according to the father of his vanquished first-round rival, fellow American Taylor Dent; disrespectful by Mathieu's reckoning.

The flag-waving Bosnians who are following Delic traded chants across the court with Serbian fans Wednesday, during, before and after points against his French rival.

"I couldn't control any of that, though I was trying to," Delic said. "I felt bad for Paul and I apologized to him right after."

Any extra tension for Friday's match is what police, local organizers and Delic want to avoid.

He said his family moved to Florida in 1996 to get away from any conflict, his parents wanting to start a new life for he and his sister after the Bosnian war.

"I just hope the next match with Novak doesn't turn into a World War III," he said. "I'm going to try to tell my fans that we don't need to be embarrassing ourselves in front of the world. I'm hoping Novak says something to Serbian fans, also. Leave the politics aside.

"It's not my fault and it's not Novak's fault. We're out here playing tennis and we need to keep it that way."

At the 2007 Australian Open, fighting broke out between Croatian and Serbian fans at Melbourne Park and more than 150 people were removed from the grounds after skirmishes.

As much for security as Djokovic's profile, their match will likely be on center court. It also helps that Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley was his college coach.

Rod Laver Arena is an all-ticket venue, and is the most secure at Melbourne Park. Organizers say general admission tickets are sold out, meaning tickets that become available late will be scattered.

Police will be in force outside.

Djokovic, who beat Jeremy Chardy 7-5, 6-1, 6-3, was ready for a tough reception.

"I don't want underestimate anybody. Delic deserves to be in the third round," he said. "If he came there, of course, he has a lot of qualities. He's a big server. We played in Wimbledon in 2007 and we had a really close match, so I expect the same in this round."

For the first time in six years, Delic is still in contention after two rounds.

And to think, he thought he was heading home after he was wiped 6-0, 6-7 (3), 6-0 by Florian Mayer in his third qualifying match.

It'll mean he also has some extra cash.

"This was the first time ever I got in as a lucky loser," he said. "It's like when you lose a wallet and then you find it. It's like the best feeling."

Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #54
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure both of them will do their best to try to stop the fans from getting out of control but it wont happen...rest of the world will never understand the hate between the three groups (Croats,Serbs,Bosnaks) and it wont stop anytime soon...it will with time once kids that were born after 1998 or 2000 are the leaders of those countries..90% of the people have moved on and get along but that 10% wont ever let it go...well anyways good luck to Amer, hopefully he puts up a good fight vs Djokovic.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #55
country flag Deboogle!.

Well let's all hope that because that stadium is so big and it is harder to get tickets to that it will be a little more secure. I Certainly understand political hatred and whatnot but I think bringing it into a sporting event is such a shame. I think Amer is handling it brilliantly.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #56
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

they do it there because it will be news everywhere...wont get any news if they did it at a random street corner in Melbourne.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:32 AM   #57
country flag Deboogle!.

Amer is fighting well and playing really well Hope he can take this run with him for the rest of the year and find some consistency

Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #58
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
Amer is fighting well and playing really well Hope he can take this run with him for the rest of the year and find some consistency
He did well out there He should be proud of his run here.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #59
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say congrats to Amer and his fans. He was great last night - and can't deny he gave me and the other Nole fans some really scary moments When the match ended, at 5.00am European time - we were all thoroughly stressed and exhausted, - and I guess Amer should be proud of making us that way It was a very close match, and I wish him luck for the rest of the season.

Here are a few photos from the end of the match for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ao314.jpg (27.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ao315.jpg (33.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ao316.jpg (26.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg bd22359ca0bcc2040988c1b9d4f7485e-getty-83057329wj153_2009_australi.jpg (145.5 KB, 6 views)

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more

Last edited by *Ljubica* : 01-23-2009 at 11:22 AM.
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:34 AM   #60
country flag Deboogle!.

amer took a WC into the dallas CH event this week and won his first round match tonight against Kuznetsov 6-2 7-6