News about Taylor - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-26-2005, 07:06 PM   #1
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond repute
Default News about Taylor

there wasn't a news thread and i didn't really know where to put this, so i started one.
Got this from Bob Larson's (no date posted), it doesn't really say much just a small blurb:

Quote:
Dent to train at the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy

Taylor Dent will be training at The Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy at IMG Academies I Bradenton, Florida.

Dent, who is currently ranked #22 on the ATP Tour, decided to make the move from Newport Beach, California to Bradenton, after visiting the facility for several weeks this summer.

ROGER FEDERER

GROSJEAN, HENMAN, MOYA, CORIA

ANCIC, BLAKE, LJUBICIC, CLEMENT, SANTORO, BAGHDATIS, MONFILS

F-LO, DENT, PHM, MULLER, STEPANEK, PHILIPPOUSSIS

Co-Founder and Proud Member of M.A.S.H.A

"If you even dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize."-Muhammad Ali

My Blog!
PaulieM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News about Taylor

Here's a longer article that I posted about this in the Cheering thread

http://menstennisforums.com/showpost...&postcount=254

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Making a new Dent
Talented American is getting into the best shape of his life.
Charles Bricker, Sun-Sentinel
Published November 20, 2005

NAPLES · The skinny on Taylor Dent is 11 percent body fat, down from 18 percent two months ago, and still losing, he insisted proudly after rousing himself from a cat nap Saturday.

All this off-court work ("I'm putting my body through all sorts of hell") plus a couple of hours of hit-and-giggle pro-am tennis at The Players Club here left the big American with the ink black hair and amiable personality a little drowsy.

He was slumped over in a chair in the club dining room, his head on his crossed arms, trying to catch a little sleep before he was hauled out for the afternoon doubles with fellow pros Mardy Fish and Scott Humphries, and former player and coach Tom Gullikson, who hosts this annual Swingtime charity that benefits cancer patients and research.

Is this the reborn Taylor Dent, the one who has decided at age 24 that it's time to be all you can be? For a young man who has been chronically injured and who has gone through more coaches than you can remember, this time the commitment has the feel of the real thing.

To begin with, Dent has made a major financial investment, moving out of Huntington Beach, Calif., and buying a 5,200 square foot home on a lake in Sarasota so that he can be close to the Bollettieri Academy, where fitness guru Jason Riley is "putting a hurt on me."

Dent did a lot of off-court training when he was coached by Brad Stine three years ago. But this, he says, is different. "This time, I'm sacrificing a lot of court time to put more effort into the gym work. I'm going every day but Sunday."

Why? "Because of the injury problems," said Dent. "I've lifted weights. I've done yoga. This is the one avenue I haven't pursued to the fullest."

For many, Dent has been an enigma. No one disputes his enormous talent or questions his 140 mph serve and ability to back it up with great volleying.

Yet, despite a succession of key wins throughout the year, the body breakdowns continue and he refuses to hire another personal coach.

He defeated Lleyton Hewitt, David Nalbandian, Marat Safin, Guillermo Coria, Tommy Johansson and Ivan Ljubicic in 2005. But there were no titles and some disappointing losses in the Grand Slams.

He was out in the third round at the Australian Open, in the round of 16 at Wimbledon on his best surface and down in the third round of the U.S. Open, though only by 7-5 in the fifth set to Hewitt.

He finishes at No. 29 with a 33-21 record, and those aren't bad numbers. But by this time in his career, you expected more.

Now, he sounds completely convinced, you're going to get it.

Moving from the place where he was born and lived all his life was a major decision. "There is a special place for the East Coast in my heart, but I'm Southern California through and through," he said.

It was not easy to pick up and move. "But I'm planning to be here as long as my tennis career is going," he said.

Dent's weight has wavered between 190 and 200 pounds or more over the years, but he says Riley is less concerned about the scale and more about physical strength and body fat.

This has been no easy off-season for Dent, who will be back at Bollettieri's on Monday to start a new week of hellish workouts. He's only been occasionally on court the last two weeks, and then only for about 45 minutes at a time just long enough to maintain his feel for the ball. This has been all about physical training.

When that's done, "then I'll get cracking on my game," he said.

He'll begin the season Jan. 2 at Adelaide, play at Sydney the next week and then the Australian Open. Maybe a Grand Slam title isn't within his reach, but eight or nine percent body fat is, and so is a whole new attitude toward the game.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 11-21-2005, 03:44 AM   #4

Thanks Deb for the article on Taylor. I hope he can stick with the training and then move up in the rankings.
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
country flag VamosRafael

VamosRafael has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafael has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafael has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafael has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafael has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafael has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafael has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafael has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafael has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafael has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafael has a reputation beyond repute

Thats great news that he's making a really big effort to get into better shape im sure it will be followed with a rise up the rankings

Liverpool FC Xabi
VamosRafael is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Little blurb in Charles Bricker's column the other day:

Quote:
Taylor Dent of Sarasota just got back from an exhibition in Buenos Aires with three top Argentines. Rowdy fans were tossing coins at him when he came on court as the only foreigner, but when he stripped off his jacket to reveal an Argentine soccer jersey, he was cheered wildly. ...
How to win over hostile fans: wear a soccer jersey.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
Little blurb in Charles Bricker's column the other day:

How to win over hostile fans: wear a soccer jersey.
Sounds like good thinking on Taylor's part to me Now he just has to apply that good thinking to his tennis game
Old 12-27-2005, 01:26 AM   #8

I read on AR.com about Taylor and Andy playing an exhibition match in Texas this month. Andy won 6-4 and 6-4. It seems that the crowd had a good time. While Taylor and Andy also seemed to enjoy themselves
Old 05-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #9
country flag Deboogle!.

Tennis star Taylor Dent talks to CNN

(CNN) -- CNN World Sport Anchor Candy Reid interviewed U.S. tennis star Taylor Dent. The following is a transcript of the interview. If you have a question for Candy, e-mail candy@cnn.com.

Q: Hello Taylor, after a great 2005 in which you finished in the top 30 for the first time in your career, you haven't played much this year -- are you injured? If so, when will you be back?

A: At the moment, I am having some problems with my back, but I hope to be back out in time for Paris and the Grass Court season.

Q: You've had a few injury problems in the last few years -- have you just been unlucky or is it something to do with the way you hit the ball?

A: I have heard differing points of view from a number of experts but I feel it is a bit of both. I put a lot of effort into my shots and my style of play takes a lot out of my body.

Q: How much has your father (Former pro Phil Dent) influenced your career?

A: He has been the biggest impact on my tennis career for sure. He started coaching me when I was 10 or 11 and he was my fulltime coach until I was 17 or 18.

Q: What do you make of Andre Agassi's decision to miss the entire clay-court season?

A: I am in no position to criticize Andre's decision. He is one of the best players of all time and if he thinks it is in his best interest to miss the clay court season, I back him up 100 precent. He knows his body better than anyone.

Q: Now that the French Open has decided to award the men's and women's winners equal prize money, the debate has resurfaced again. What's your view?

A: Tennis is an entertainment sport and if the tournaments that decide the prize money feel the women provide as much entertainment as the men, then I support it without any reservations. However, I know how hard the women work and I feel they earn the right to make as much as the men.

Q: Roger Federer is going for the Slam this year -- but do you think he can win at Roland Garros?

A: I think anybody who gets to the semis of Roland Garros has a huge chance to win.

Q: With your big serve and great volleys, do you think Wimbledon is your best chance of winning a Major?

A: I used to when I was younger, but the courts at Wimbledon have slowed down quite a bit. As of now, I feel my best chance to win a slam is at the U.S. Open because of the speed of the surface and the solid footing.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #10

Well it seems like it will be a while before Taylor is back in a Tournament But while I hate to say it for some reason I just don't see Taylor winning the U.S. Open
Old 05-03-2006, 12:55 AM   #11
country flag Deboogle!.

I don't see him winning it either but if he were to, I agree with him that his best chance would be at the USO.

Technically Taylor's in the Rome list right now, he got in off the ALT list, so if he's not gonna play he has to withdraw by Friday.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #12
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

Liking Taylor's answer to the Roger Grand Slam question
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #13
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it doesn't look like he'll play Rome

But you never know...Tojo is back way ahead of schedule
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #14
country flag Deboogle!.

nah, he pulled off the ALT list today.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:38 AM   #15
country flag Deboogle!.

Oh no, Taylor actually had Back surgery
==============
U.S. Davis Cup player Dent has surgery
Associated Press

VAIL, Colo. - U.S. Davis Cup player Taylor Dent had back surgery Wednesday and hopes to return to the tour before Wimbledon.

Dent was ranked as high as 21st last year but he's only 1-4 in 2006 and has slipped to 65th on the ATP Tour. He hurt his back in Rotterdam in February.

"This is a minor procedure and I hope to be back for the grass- court season," Dent said in a statement distributed by the ATP. "I have been able to play tennis and am training every day. I am hopeful this will help take away some of the pain during serving."

He's aiming to play in Wimbledon tuneup tournaments at London, starting June 12, and the next week at Nottingham. Wimbledon begins June 26.

Dent's serve-and-volley game carried him to the fourth round at the All England Club last year, and he was a semifinalist at the 2004 Athens Olympics.