Andy might be skipping Kooyong, but we can still have the bong AO Season Thread - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #121
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy might be skipping Kooyong, but we can still have the bong AO Season Thread

partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #122
country flag tsurupettan
aeroDYNAMIC

tsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy might be skipping Kooyong, but we can still have the bong AO Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRose View Post
I thought Roger was going to cut a bitch and that hand shake was cold.
lmao! My thoughts exactly.

Much, much luck to [our] Andy in the final.

tsurupettan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #123
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute

When you have been dominant for 4 years there is bound to be a time when someone comes long and figures out how to play you. Sadly (I hate saying this) Roger is getting on and younger players like Murray and Nadal can run down shots. Roger played a poor match today against Murray - sigh Andy-Andy is never a fun match thank goodness I can't watch.
kaylee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #124
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think that an Andy-Andy match is all that bad.

When our Andy plays Roger, you never know if he is going to be competitive or worshipful. OTOH, when our Andy plays the other Andy, you can feel the palpable dislike.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #125
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze-2004 View Post
Roddick

He's been playing slowly and progressively more aggresive as the tournament has worn on, at least to me.

Here's hoping for a win tomorrow
WWeezzy f baybay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
I was in transit during Andy's match so I was only able to see the tail-end of it. Thanks for the match comments, Blaze and Ryan. I was looking to get an idea of how well Andy played and found this comment over on tennis.com:
Posted by Joey Z 01/09/2009 @ 10:15 AM

I can't believe some of the comments (I actually can believe them and am pretty happy to see them too!) about Andy Roddick's game.

Some comments...

Gael can't rally with Andy from the baseline!

Roddick has great hands, what a drop shot!

Andy's back hand slice is looking elegant!

I hope the Roddick-bashing posters on the ESPN site are watching this match because they always rip on Roddick and his game despite all the work he puts into it.

What are the biggest improvements/strategy changes/etc. you've seen in Andy's game this week? Is the return of serve much better?
If anybody else watching the Federer-Murray match? Boy, is Roger steaming mad, Murray really has him frustrated.

Wishing Andy much luck in the final, whoever he faces. He can beat either one of these guys if he believes.
I haven't really seen much change in strategy, he's taken some cuts on the return of serve, especially the second serve. That said, um...not much he's just serving better and finishing points better. I didn't expect to see a huge change or anything, it looks like Andy is doing what he does well. He's rallying, playing steady, and serving at a high percentage. He's not doing anything too crazy, just finishing the points that I think he should, that he's capable of. It's encouraging but he's not nearly as aggressive as he should be, yet. It's not what I want from him but hopefully he can work with Larry on finishing points with the forehand.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #126
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a chance to look around the messageboards and the larger consensus seems to be that Andy's movement has improved the most so far. That's great news to hear.

Andy isn't firing on all cylinders yet, that is also good because he's going to need to do exactly that against Snagglepuss tomorrow.

*edit*

Adding headlines and pics.

Doha SF: Roddick def Monfils 7-6, 3-6, 6-3
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 01-09-2009 at 08:13 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #127
country flag DartMarcus

DartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if Andy can show only one great result in january, then it`d better be Aus Open, because the win in Doha won`t be half as good as, for example, reaching Slam semifinals or even better. So the main thing is not to disappoint us in Melbourne. Lets just play a good match tommorow.

Brian Baker - Steve Johnson - Lleyton Hewitt - Robby Ginepri - Carlos Berlocq - Tommy Haas - Ivo Karlovic - Richard Gasquet - Kevin Anderson - David Ferrer - Michael Russell - Fabio Fognini - Michael Llodra - Oliver Rochus - Dustin Brown - Somdev Devvarman
DartMarcus is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #128
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I watched his match against Hanescu and while I saw some good things such as his movement and whatnot, he was still playing an AWFUL lot of balls from way behind the baseline. Once in a while being on the defensive is unavoiadable, of course, but this seems to still be his go-to rally point and that is really not going to cut it against murrays and rafas and others of the top of the game. it barely cut it against monfils today. If players like Clement and Monfils are able to break him a couple times, it's hard to see him holding all the time against murray.

But you are right DartMarcus, Melbourne is what counts. Doha is only a 250 point tourney now. Melbourne's worth 2000, and he has a ton of room to gain points there if he can play well. It's definitely good to go in with a couple quality wins so that's good. I think more importantly tomorrow is that he play his game, not panic and do freakish bad netrushes, be aggressive and go for it. If Murray's too good, so be it. It's more important that he goes into the AO playing the right way.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #129
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way Andy is going to play super different. He's beaten Murray before, he knows what to do. Here's what he can't do, serve a low percentage and leave balls in the center of the court for Murray to crush. I see no point in playing it straight either Deb, he should go for it. As for the movement I think that's because Andy is finally healthy again. Larry couldn't have improved it that much with his coaching, Andy is just fitter now than he was for most of last year. This match is gravy, Melbourne is what counts...he can win there, anyone of the top guys can, it's wide open because it's so early in the season.
That's the gospel.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #130
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Pictures. Loooove his reaction after winning. Hope to see a repeat of that tomorrow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 036da0d9ca54af0b8b836d9688bdb44e-getty-tennis-qtr-atp-roddick.jpg (289.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 994e5efbfc6a9ead39959bcf411f165c-getty-tennis-qtr-atp-roddick.jpg (109.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg b648771dfd705645a2cba1b8cea0e656-getty-tennis-qtr-atp-roddick.jpg (169.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 6385e4b15803bd1cb2c251154fcc5c81-getty-tennis-qtr-atp-roddick.jpg (120.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg capt.0774d3030d984d0eae460f00e1c5499d.qatar_atp_qatar_open_tennis_has109.jpg (64.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 7d5962459580646f888b96d4b5d1ac36-getty-84089885jf075_exxon_mobil_q.jpg (124.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2074d85082cdc5ffa5e95e3f503a42ad-getty-84089885jf076_exxon_mobil_q.jpg (144.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 26d04ef53a9ff613d21439631d90bb36-getty-84089885jf065_exxon_mobil_q.jpg (118.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg d75a0f6361da0fd2818242d664ed7af1-getty-84089885jf066_exxon_mobil_q.jpg (109.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 13989_Qatar_ATP_Qatar_Open_Tennis.sff.jpg (36.0 KB, 21 views)
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #131
Last dance, Andy

Murray may not make it to the final.

"Defending champion Andy Murray is struggling to be fit for Saturday's Qatar Open final against Andy Roddick because of a back injury."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7821469.stm

Their final is scheduled for 6:30PM tomorrow, Doha time.

More photos.

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 01-09-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #132
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

Andy in a final already! And it's not vs Roger!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #133
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

dammit, I knew the final would be on when I can't watch. I just hope he doesn't get completely thrashed and at least looks like he's trying to play the right way. and if Murray's injury is that bad maybe it won't be a struggle at all. Either way, I actually don't really know what to expect from the scoreline tomorrow.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #134
country flag Fumus

Good result for first time with Stephanki. Andy looked pretty good but he's no where near top form yet. Let's hope he's just try to peak for the AO.
That's the gospel.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #135
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

A bit off-topic, sorry, but I don't know where to post this:
What does the "Lagardère" thing on his sleeve mean, does it have anything to do with the "Team Lagardère", or is Lagardère just a sponsor? The Team was just for French players at the beginning, but Baghdatis now is part of it too, so I was wondering about Andy.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote