Cincinnati Draw - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-09-2004, 08:18 AM   #46
country flag Agassi Fan

Agassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cincinnati Draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
AWESOME JOB ANDRE !!!!!!

Look at these pictures! He's never looked happier!

Andre Agassi blows kisses to the crowd after defeating Lleyton Hewitt, from Australia, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2, in the championship match at the Cincinnati Masters tournament, Sunday, Aug. 8, 2004, in Mason, Ohio.

Andre Agassi holds up the Master Series trophy at center court after winning his match over Lleyton Hewitt of Australia, 6-3 3-6, 6-2, in the finals of the 2004 Western and Southern Financial Group Masters Tennis tournament in Cincinnati, August 8, 2004.

Andre Agassi is all smiles at center court after winning his final match over Lleyton Hewitt of Australia, 6-3 3-6 6-2, in the finals of the 2004 Western & Southern Financial Group Masters Tennis tournament in Cincinnati, August 8, 2004.

Andre Agassi is all smiles after defeating Andy Roddick 7-5 6-7 7-6 in their semifinal round match of the 2004 Western & Southern Financial Group Masters Tennis tournament in Cincinnati, August 7, 2004.
What a smlie, I love it!

Tennis posters, photos, autograph to sell or swap.
www.gportal.hu/portal/posters
Soccer posters to sell or swap!!
www.gportal.hu/portal/nikesoccer
Agassi Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2004, 03:11 PM   #47
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still on an Agassi-won! high, so here's another article about his win in Cincy.

Agassi chews up Hewitt for 1st title in 16 months
By Terry Kinney, The Associated Press

MASON, Ohio — A resurgent Andre Agassi defeated 10th-seeded Lleyton Hewitt 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 on Sunday to win the Masters Series — Cincinnati.

"This certainly gives me a new life," Agassi said. "I came into this week with a lot of questions. So for me to end up winning was beyond what I could have expected."

Agassi, the 11th seed, beat 21-year-old Andy Roddick in the semifinals, then wore down the 23-year-old Australian on Sunday.

"It's been a tough 24 hours, but my body held up great," said Agassi, 34.

That made Agassi the oldest ATP Tour winner since Jimmy Connors won consecutive titles at Toulouse and Tel Aviv when he was 37 in 1989.

The win is Agassi's first in 16 months. He hadn't reached an ATP final since November at the Tennis Masters Cup. He earned $400,000 with the win, almost doubling his earnings for the year.

He broke Hewitt's serve three times. Hewitt had been broken only once in five matches.

"He hit a lot of first serves and a lot of serves right on the line and corners and stuff," Hewitt said. "I just couldn't get into his service games."

Hewitt had problems with his serve in the first set. With Agassi leading 3-2, Hewitt was serving 40-0 but lost four straight points before rallying to tie the set at 3. Two games later, he lost the first point by double-faulting, then hit the deciding point into the net to put Agassi up 5-3.

Still, Agassi had trouble putting away the set. Serving 15-40, he won the next four points, including a 120-mph ace.

"I felt I had chances throughout the first set and I just wasn't able to capitalize on them," Hewitt said.

In the second set, Hewitt broke Agassi to take a 5-3 lead. Agassi had seemed to be regaining the pinpoint placement that had gotten better with each match. But when his shot on game point was a fraction wide, Hewitt raised his fists to his chest and let out a scream, then served out the set to even the match.

Agassi broke Hewitt again in the third set to take a 3-1 lead, and Hewitt double faulted on match point.

The win eased some of the frustration that had been building since Agassi had to skip Wimbledon because of an inflamed hip.

"The last few months, there has been a lot of disappointment," said Agassi, who maintained a rigorous training regimen even when he wasn't playing tennis.

"I came into this week, arguably, at my lowest moment," he said. "Now I'm looking to reap the rewards of the work."

Agassi said the quickness of the court helped his serve, which let him be more aggressive.

"I've really been doing a good job this week of any time I get a chance to take the offense," Agassi said. "I've really been executing well, and that makes a big difference against the top guys. Because if you're not taking it to them, they're taking it to you."

Hewitt, who won titles earlier this year at Sydney and Rotterdam, thought he had the momentum to beat Agassi after winning the second set.

"I felt like I fought extremely hard to get myself back in the match," Hewitt said. "Then the third set, he came out, held a quick service game first game, and I was sort of on the back foot the whole time."

Agassi had played much more tennis than Hewitt this week and had a shorter rest after a grueling three-set win over second-seeded Roddick on Saturday night.

Agassi had played three-game sets three times while beating three seeded players. Hewitt hadn't lost a set during the weeklong tournament.

Saturday's victory over Roddick moved Agassi into fifth place on the career list with his 807th win, passing Stefan Edberg.

Agassi has reached the finals at an ATP event 87 times and has 59 titles, the most of any active player. He fell out of the top 10 last week for the first time since May 1999.

The win evened his record against Hewitt at 4-4. In their last match, Agassi beat Hewitt in three sets in the quarterfinals of the 2002 U.S. Open.

The tournament was the fourth in the U.S. Open Series Bonus Challenge, which links the performance of players in 10 designated ATP and WTA tournaments to bonus prize money at the Aug. 30-Sept. 12 U.S. Open.

With the victory Agassi moves into second place behind Andy Roddick in the U.S. Open Series points standings. Roddick has 155 points to Agassi's 108.

------

Agassi Claims Third Title

No. 11 seed Andre Agassi became the third player in the Open Era to win at least three titles in Cincinnati with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 victory over No. 10 Lleyton Hewitt on Sunday to claim the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters title. Agassi is the second-lowest seed to win the title here behind No. 16 seed Carlos Moya in 2002.

Agassi, who was appearing in his first ATP final since the Tennis Masters Cup (l. to Federer) in Houston last November, captured his first ATP title since winning the U.S. Clay Courts in Houston (d. Roddick) on Apr. 27, 2003. Agassi's impressive title run included wins over No. 4 Carlos Moya (QF), No. 2 and defending champion Andy Roddick (SF) and No. 10 Hewitt (F). In his last four matches, Agassi only dropped his serve twice.

It is the 59 th career title for Agassi, who is the leading title holder among active players. Hewitt is second among active players with 21 titles. The holder of a record 17 ATP Masters Series shields (17-4), Agassi has won his last eight ATP Masters Series finals and is 59-27 in career finals while Hewitt is 21-8.

Agassi is the 11 th player in the 106-year history of the tournament to win the Cincinnati title at least three times, as he also won the title in 1995-96. Mats Wilander won the title four times (1983-84, ‘86, ‘88) and Pete Sampras three times (1992, ‘97, ‘99) in the Open Era.

Agassi is fifth in the Open Era with 808 career wins. At 34 years, three months and 10 days, Agassi is the second-oldest titlist in Cincinnati behind Aussie Ken Rosewall who won the title in 1970 at 35 years, 8 months and 24 days. He's the oldest champion on tour since Jimmy Connors won back-to-back titles at Toulouse and Tel Aviv at 37 years and one month in 1989.

This title is Agassi's 14 th since turning 30, placing him fifth in the Open Era for titles over the age of 30. The top five: Rod Laver (44), Ken Rosewall (29), Arthur Ashe (20), Jimmy Connors (15) and Andre Agassi (14).

With the win, Agassi now stands in ninth place in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race, up from 18 th at the beginning of the week. He earned $400,000 for the win, giving him 1,283,030 for his career in Cincinnati. He is second only to Pete Sampras' $1,397,954 for career prize money in Cincinnati.
Agassi earns 100 INDESIT ATP Race/US Open Series points and $400,000 while Hewitt collects 70 INDESIT ATP Race/US Open Series points and $200,000.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 08-09-2004 at 04:33 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:49 PM   #48
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

Nice "legendary" stats for Andre!

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 AM   #49
country flag Gigan

Gigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond repute

Why they trying to tell us how old Andre is?

Let they speak more on his highest quality and impressive tennis play!

Old 08-10-2004, 01:41 PM   #50
country flag Agassi Fan

Agassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Andre is not old, just older. :-)

Tennis posters, photos, autograph to sell or swap.
www.gportal.hu/portal/posters
Soccer posters to sell or swap!!
www.gportal.hu/portal/nikesoccer
Agassi Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #51
country flag Gigan

Gigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Cincinnati Draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agassi Fan
Andre is not old, just older. :-)
Let he play longer and longer for all of us and for him...

Old 08-11-2004, 03:04 AM   #52
country flag Iheartandy&roger

Iheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond repute

w2g Andre good to see yah back out on the courts playing the awesome tennis u play!!!
Iheartandy&roger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote