Todd Paul's Official Thread - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #211
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Todd Paul's Official Thread

Todd is playing again in his local tournament - Pilot Pen New Haven!!

He didn't get a WC to the qualies this time, but he did draw 2 seed Pablo Cuevas 1st qualy round. Go TP!!

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #212
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Todd lost 64 61 to Cuevas. ANother tough qualy draw in New Haven. Not TP's best serving day against the huge server of Cuevas.

I will try to find out more about Todd's upcoming schedule. As he told me earlier, him and Cory would like t take their doubles success to the challenger tour.

JBlock Forever
Old 08-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #213
country flag Ozone

Todd Paul article in Stamford Advocate!!

Todd Paul, Marc Powers prepare for Pilot Pen Qualifying draw

By Rich DePreta
Staff Writer
Posted: 08/17/2009 09:26:29 PM EDT
Updated: 08/18/2009 08:44:00 AM EDT

STAMFORD -- It has been a long summer for Stamford residents Todd Paul and Marc Powers. However, all their hard work on the tennis court will be rewarded this weekend as both have earned berths in the Men's Singles Qualifying Draw of the 2009 Pilot Pen Tennis Tournament at the Connecticut Tennis Center.

The qualifying draw has not been finalized, but Paul and Powers will probably play Saturday morning in New Haven if tournament officials follow their usual format.
For Paul, it will be the third consecutive year he takes part in the Men's Singles Qualifying Tourney. For Powers, it will be his first appearance.

Paul, who had an illustrious college tennis career at Wake Forest, has been busy toiling on the US Futures Tour and the Challengers Tour since April.

"The travel wears you down. After four straight weeks on the road, you want to go home," Paul said. "But by playing this much, I've learned that every week is different. Things can click at any time. I've learned that I can't get too down on myself if adversity comes."

As is the case with every young tennis player who wants to play alongside Roger Federer, James Blake, Andy Roddick and Rafael Nadal on the big stage, it is all about the rankings.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound lefty Paul, who will turn 24 the day after Christmas, is currently No. 681 in the singles rankings.

Where Paul has made great strides this summer is in doubles. Playing with former Wake Forest
teammate Cory Parr of Jericho, N.Y., Paul is at No. 429 in the doubles rankings.
In fact, Paul and Parr have won titles at the last three USA Futures Tour doubles events they've competed at.
"Cory and I played some matches together at Wake Forest. We talked before Cory graduated that we'd be good together in doubles," Paul said. "Cory and I put an application in for a wild card into the Pilot Pen doubles. We'll see what happens."

All of the doubles activity has had an effect on Paul's singles strategy.
"All the doubles play has helped me cover the net better," Paul said. "Before I just tried to beat singles opponents from the baseline. But now, if I get to the net it puts pressure on the opponents. It forces them to make shots."

The other benefit to Paul of his partnership with Parr is it makes both the travel and the day-to-day goings-on at each tournament easier.

"It means a lot to me to have a best friend to travel with," Paul said. "It also good to have someone to hang out with during downtimes at tourneys."

What makes Paul's approach to reaching the ATP Tour a bit unique is that his parents, Rovitta and Frantz Paul, are subsidizing Todd's tennis dream. Todd played some events in Canada last spring as well as played in events in Sweden and France last fall.
"My parents have been so good to me to give me this opportunity to play tennis all over. I don't know what I'd be doing without their support," Paul said. "It's been great to be home these last few weeks. It's going to be great to have a short (45-minute) car ride to get my tournament for a change."

Paul is hoping for a better outcome at the Pilot Pen. He lost 6-3, 6-2 to Davis Cup veteran Ramon Delgado of Paraguay in the opening round of the 2008 Pilot Pen Men's Singles Qualifying Draw.

"It's all about the draw," Paul said. "But I have a feeling this year's Pilot Pen draw will be even tougher."
As for Powers, New Haven is becoming the new center of his universe.

This fall, Powers will be a freshman at Yale University as well as a member of the Bulldogs' men's tennis team.
In fact, the Greens Farms Academy graduate won the Men's Singles title at the Yale Summer Tennis Championships back on July 12 to earn his spot in Pilot Pen Men's Singles Qualifying Draw.
Powers defeated former Yale Summer champ Kabelo Maleka, 6-3, 6-4 in the finals.
"It's an incredible opportunity. I've also wanted and dreamed about playing in the Pilot Pen. And now, it's here," Powers said. "All the training and all the work I've put in this summer is paying off. I couldn't be more excited."
It has been a wonderful summer for Powers, who finally had time to relax after choosing to attend Yale.
"There was so much stress over the 18 months when I was trying to decide on a college," Powers said. "I had four schools to consider. All had fine academics, good athletics and outstanding facilities. But in the end, the decision came down to Yale coach Alex Dorato and the guys on the team. Yale is the perfect place for me. I have peace of mind."
Powers, who is coached by John DeFilippo of Stamford Indoor Tennis Academy and trains with Ben Prentiss at Body Tuning in Darien, has had a light tennis schedule. Besides the Yale Summer Championships, Powers played two rounds of singles at a USA Futures event in Rochester, N.Y.
"I wanted to focus on the Yale Championships because of the Pilot Pen," Powers said. "I beat some guys I had faced in USTA Junior tennis and a few solid college players. But the finals against Maleka were nervewracking. The opportunity was there for the Pilot Pen and I didn't want it to slip away."
For both Powers and Paul, Saturday can't get here soon enough.

JBlock Forever
Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #214
country flag Ozone

Todd has entered for the Mexico Futures series!!

He will play Mexico F9, F10, and F11!

Go TP!

JBlock Forever
Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #215
country flag Ozone

Mexico F9 Futures

Singles draw: http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2009/1508/mds.pdf
Possible quarter-final matchup between Cory Parr and Todd!! Todd must play qualifier Connor Pollock in 1st round though

Doubles draw: TBA Todd/Cory

JBlock Forever
Old 09-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #216
country flag Ozone

Todd is preparing for Mexico F10 Futures again this week!!

He and Cory will try to avenge their rare SF doubles finish last week.

Go TP!

JBlock Forever
Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #217
country flag Ozone

Todd and Cory are #1 seeds in Mexico F10 doubles

They won their 1st Round match 62 75!

JBlock Forever
Old 10-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #218
country flag Ozone

In singles, Todd is 4 seed. He defeated qualifier Puc 62 62!!!

He will face LL Aarts in the 2nd round. Aarts beat Tim Neilly

JBlock Forever
Old 10-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #219
country flag Ozone

TODD PAUL!!

1 seed Todd and Cory won 62 62 to reach the doubles semis as usual

In singles, Todd beat Peter Aarts 76(0) 64 to reach the quarters!!

JBlock Forever
Old 10-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #220
country flag Ozone

Todd plays Edlefsen in the quarters

JBlock Forever
Old 10-03-2009, 03:06 AM   #221
country flag Ozone

Todd reaches the semis and wins 0 and 1 today!!!
Great win

Todd and Cory also advance to the doubles final!!

JBlock Forever
Old 10-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #222
country flag Ozone

Mexico F10 Doubles Champions: (1) Paul/Parr

Yet another title for the great duo:woohoo;

Todd lost 64 61 in his singles semi.

Still a GREAT run for TP. Hopefully he can do it next week

JBlock Forever
Old 10-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #223
country flag Ozone

This week:

Mexico F11

Todd and Cory will be looking for a 2nd straight doubs title

JBlock Forever
Old 10-05-2009, 07:23 AM   #224
country flag Baghdatis#1

Baghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good tourney

Through the good and the bad, always my #1, no matter what the rankings say
Baghdatis#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #225
country flag Ozone

Mexico F11

Singles Draw click here
Todd is 7 seed and will play the #1 seed from qualies first. Go Todd!!

Doubles Draw
Cory and Todd are 2 seed. They won their first round 61 60

JBlock Forever