Gaston News, Information & Articles (Exhibition Matches as well) - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-12-2004, 08:47 AM   #31
country flag bovenbuuf

bovenbuuf has a reputation beyond reputebovenbuuf has a reputation beyond reputebovenbuuf has a reputation beyond reputebovenbuuf has a reputation beyond reputebovenbuuf has a reputation beyond reputebovenbuuf has a reputation beyond reputebovenbuuf has a reputation beyond reputebovenbuuf has a reputation beyond reputebovenbuuf has a reputation beyond reputebovenbuuf has a reputation beyond reputebovenbuuf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gaston News & Articles

Gaudio decides today if he goes to Wimbledon
La nacion 12/6

This weekend will be clear if two of the main Argentine tennis players will participate in Wimbledon, the third Grand Slam of the year.
In the next hours the situation of Gastón Gaudio can be solved, that drags an ailment in a heel from its victory in Paris. "Yes all the studies aretaken by him. Tomorrow (for today) we are going away to reunite, but we do not want to hurry to take one decisión", said Frank Davin, the trainer of the champion of Roland Garros

Gaudio was distinguished yesterday in the Vilas Club, where he received a picture with the cover of the edition of last Monday of LA Nacion, in which his consecration in the French Open stands out, after winning in five sets form Guillermo Coria in a dramatic end.

bovenbuuf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2004, 04:37 PM   #32
country flag chelsea

chelsea will become famous soon enough

Gaudio withdraws from Wimbledon

Saturday, June 12, 2004

(06-12) 09:08 PDT WIMBLEDON, England (AP) --

French Open champion Gaston Gaudio pulled out of Wimbledon on Saturday because of a foot injury.

Gaudio has played at Wimbledon five times, but has never made it past the second round.

Wimbledon referee Alan Mills said Gaudio announced his withdrawal, but didn't specify the nature of the foot injury.

Justine Henin-Hardenne, the top-ranked female player, and No. 2 Kim Clijsters had already pulled out. Henin-Hardenne has a viral illness, while Clijsters has a wrist injury.

Last Sunday at Roland Garros, the unseeded Gaudio came back from two sets down to beat third-seeded Guillermo Coria 0-6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1, 8-6 in the first all-Argentine final at a Grand Slam. No Argentine had won the French Open since Guillermo Vilas in 1977.

Wimbledon begins June 21.
chelsea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 07:11 AM   #33
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Gaudio kommer till Swedish Open

7. juni 2004 11:23

Segraren i Franska Öppna, Gaston Gaudio, kommer till Swedish Open i sommar. "Det är så att man ryser", säger turenringschefen Thomas Wallén.

Efter triumfen i Paris har Gaston Gaudio seglat upp som ett av de hetaste tennisnamnen i världen. Nu är det klart att han kommer till Swedish Open i Båstad som börjar den 5 juli.

- Det är så att man ryser, att han kommer till Båstad, det är ju ytterligare en bekräftelse att vi har en av de bästa grustävlingarna i världen, säger turneringschefen Thomas Wallén till TT.

Även Carlos Moya kommer till Båstad, liksom de högst rankade svenskarna. Men det är Gaudio som blir det nya affishnamnet för Swedish Open.

- Han har spelat turneringen i Gstaad tidigare men hörde genom sina kompisar att det var roligare i Båstad och valde i stället att anmäla sig till Båstad, vilket vi naturligtvis är oerhört glada för, fortsätter Wallén.

Translation

French Open champion Gaston Gaudio is coming to the Swedish Open this summer. “It is so that one shivers with excitement” said tournament director Thomas Wallén

After the triumph in Paris, Gaston Gaudio has become one of the hottest tennis players in the world. Now it’s clear that he is coming to the Swedish Open in Båstad, which begins on the 5th of July.

“It is so that one shivers with excitement, that he is coming to Båstad, it is certainly a confirmation that we have one of the best claycourt tournaments in the world” said tournament director Thomas Wallén to TT.

Also Carlos Moya is coming to Båstad, as are the highest ranked Swedes, but Gaudio has become the new main attraction for the Swedish Open.

He has previously played the tournament in Gstaad, but he heard from his friends, that it was more pleasant in Båstad and chose instead to commit himself to Båstad, which naturally we are tremendously happy for, continued Wallén.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 07:54 AM   #34
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

I must thank the great people from the Mariano Zabaleta board for this and these are words from Zabaleta about Gaston.

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2004/06...es/d-05501.htm

Alguien como él

Mariano Zabaleta. TENISTA

A Gastón lo conozco desde los diez años. Es un amigo como los amigos que tengo de toda la vida. Con él o con Juan Chela la amistad va más allá del tenis.

La verdad que es increíble lo que le pasó porque ganar Roland Garros es el sueño de todos. Cuando lo vi llorar por la televisión, yo también lloré. Y a mi vieja se le escaparon muchas lágrimas, estaba muy emocionada porque lo quiere como a un hijo.

De chicos compartimos muchas cosas y él fue muy bueno conmigo en momentos difíciles. Pongo un ejemplo: un día se sentó y me dijo "estás haciendo mal tal o cual cosa". O era capaz de decirme "tomá, leete este libro".

Ayer estuvimos hablando por celular y la única frase que decíamos los dos durante mas o menos cinco minutos era "boludo, la verdad que no lo puedo creer".

El está más loco que yo pero me hizo quererlo mal. Es difícil encontrar en este deporte que es tan competitivo una persona como él.

English

I have known Gastón since I was 10 years old. He is a friend like the friends I have of all my life. With him or Juan Chela, friendship goes far away from tennis.

The truth is that what happenned to him is unbelievable because winning Roland Garros is everyone of us' dream. When I saw him crying on TV, I cried too. And my mother dropped a lot of tears; she was deeply touched because she loves him like a son.

When we were kids we shared a lot of things and he was very good to me in those very difficult moments. For example, one day he sat and said "you are wrong doing this or that thing". Or he was able to tell me "here you are, read this book".

Yesterday we have been talking by cell phone and the only thing that we said both of us during five minutes more or less was "actually I can't believe it".

He is crazier than me, but he made me love him a lot. It's difficult to find in this so competitive sport a person like him.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-14-2004, 03:50 PM   #35
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute

That's a wonderful frienships they have there, Gaudio and Zabaleta. Really nice.
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:56 PM   #36
country flag gravity

gravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing the article GWH. Nice to hear not everyone in Argentina is disrespecting Gaudio's achievements at Roland Garros.
gravity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:10 AM   #37
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravity
Thanks for sharing the article GWH. Nice to hear not everyone in Argentina is disrespecting Gaudio's achievements at Roland Garros.
Not everyone is bitter in Argentina.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-16-2004, 02:57 PM   #38
country flag Trolls Need Love Too

Trolls Need Love Too is on a distinguished road

Comeback kid Gaudio conquers Paris in thriller

Gaudio 0-6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1, 8-6 Corria

Stephen Bierley at Roland Garros
Monday June 7, 2004
The Guardian

Gaston Gaudio spiralled his racket high into the blue Parisian early evening skies and threw back his head in the joyous wonderment of it all.
Even as he celebrated his remarkable 0-6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1, 8-6 victory in the French Open final his fellow Argentinian Guillermo Coria, the overwhelming favourite, slumped into his chair and twice thrashed his own racket into the red Roland Garros clay, raging with bitter frustration.

For two sets Coria had played almost faultless tennis, brilliantly demonstrating exactly why he has been the outstanding player on this surface this year, with only one previous defeat.

Poor Gaudio was all but engulfed, and with Coria 40-0 up on his serve at 4-4 in the third set all appeared lost. Crucially, though, Gaudio broke back, Coria's world was turned upside down and the man who wanted the title almost too much was beaten.

It was midway through that third set that Coria's troubles began. Both legs began to cramp up, although it was not immediately obvious, save at the very end of the set when he barely attempted to get back Gaudio's serve.

"It cost me a lot when he came back to 4-4. I absolutely knew I had to win that third set," he admitted.

At 1-1 in the fourth Coria called for the trainer Per Bastholt and had his legs massaged. There were no huge grimaces from the 22-year-old world No3 but he was clearly worried.

As soon as he returned it was obvious the trouble was serious. He could barely serve and was immediately broken with the set slipping away from him with the swiftness of a man being swept out to sea on a rip tide.

Gaudio, 25, who with his world ranking of No44 is the fourth-lowest ranked man to win a grand slam championship in the Open era, could scarcely believe what was happening.

In the third set he had drawn deep on the inspiration of the centre-court crowd to salvage some modicum of pride. Now, against everything that had seemed possible, the title was a set away with his opponent tottering around like a drunkard.

Tennis finals rarely deliver a truly fitting climax to a two-week grand slam tournament. This one had so much drama that it simply left everyone drained and trembling.

The Coria - Tim Henman semi-final on Friday had been a marvellous match of fluctuating fortunes; this one was tipped on its head.

At the end of the fourth set Coria eagerly devoured a banana and drank from an unlabelled cola bottle, desperately attempting to get some nutrients and sugar into his body.

Coria was banned in 2001 for testing positive for the steroid nandrolone, although a tennis anti-doping tribunal considered he was unaware of the contamination and the ban was reduced to seven months.

However, since the more recent outbreak of nandrolone- related problems, during which Greg Rusedski tested positive but was later absolved, all the players have been avoiding taking supplements, with Coria particularly fearful of taking any unnecessary risks. He so badly wanted to erase the past that it hurt.

"I wanted to win this tournament and get revenge against those who gave me those contaminated vitamins," said Coria afterwards, the tears streaming down his cheeks. "I wanted to bring a lot of happiness to my family because of the way they supported me through those difficult times.

"I came here thinking it was the opportunity to show everybody what I was able to do. I really wanted to empty myself of the past but I wasn't able to do so. But I will be back. I have promised myself I will win this tournament."

As Gaudio prepared to serve at the start of the fifth set, Coria jogged and bounced on the balls of his feet, trying desperately to lift himself.

Coria is recognised as the quickest player in the world; without this speed he was a cat without claws. But extraordinarily Gaudio lost his serve, his mind and body riddled with nerves. He took deep gulps of breath and water as the two crossed at the umpire's chair, with Coria hastily munching down another banana.

Within a couple of minutes the match had swung again with Coria dropping his service to love. Surely Gaudio would stamp on his neck this time, but no. The collywobbles consumed him again and Coria, as improbably as anything that has happened in a fortnight of upsets, stretched out to a 3-1 lead.

Coria was still not moving properly and his serve was merely functional but Gaudio seemed incapable of taking advantage. Even having managed to get back level at 4-4 he stumbled, leaving Coria to serve for the title at 5-4. But he missed three forehands, Gaudio fired a cross-court winner and all was level again.

The tension was all but unbearable, with the majority of the crowd firmly on Gaudio's side. Coria's parents, Oscar and Graciela, thumped their chests as their weary son forced his body forward, breaking the Gaudio serve again in a 16-point 11th game. So, for a second time, he served for the match and this time had two match points.

Both were missed and, perhaps for the first time, Gaudio finally believed he could win. After a crisp service game it was left to Coria to serve to stay in the match. He failed, Gaudio finally nailing him with a flashing cross-court backhand, one of the finest in tennis though not seen before in this level of tennis.

Nobody had expected the self-effacing Gaudio to defeat his other compatriot, David Nalbandian, in the semi-finals. The furthest he had progressed in any grand slam tournament was the last 16 at Roland Garros in 2002, the same year that he won his two previous titles, both on clay, in Barcelona and Mallorca.

"I don't know what to say, it is too much. This is like a movie for me," Gaudio said, tears streaming down his cheeks. "Thanks to all of you, the crowd. Thanks to you I managed to fight more and come back. I touched heaven."

Guillermo Vilas, the French Open champion in 1977, and the only male Argentinian to have won a grand slam title before, revealed afterwards that mid-way through the second set Gaudio had said: "I want to leave. I've had it. I can't believe I'm playing as badly as this." He was glad in the end he stayed.

Gaudio - Coria

66% 1st serve % 65 %

2 Aces 5

9 Double faults 6

55 Unforced errors 54

36 Winners 38

73% Break points won 56%

148 Total points won 137
Trolls Need Love Too is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:27 PM   #39
country flag Tricky_Forehand

Tricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond repute

Great article!!!
's-Hertogenbosch - 4th place
GSTAAD - WINNER
Tricky_Forehand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:40 PM   #40
country flag chelsea

chelsea will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
When I saw him crying on TV, I cried too. And my mother dropped a lot of tears; she was deeply touched because she loves him like a son.

He is crazier than me, but he made me love him a lot. It's difficult to find in this so competitive sport a person like him.
How sweet of Mariano and his mom!

So nice to read about the great friendship they share. Thanks for posting it, George!
chelsea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:14 AM   #41
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea
How sweet of Mariano and his mom!

So nice to read about the great friendship they share. Thanks for posting it, George!
I have only good things to say about Zabaleta and that was before I found this little article, and he has gone up even more. I mean I have argued with just everyone here at one point, but Zaba is a classy guy, and they were together when they first started on tour and when they went through the shit with the Argentine federation not helping them initially, so it just adds to his character.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-17-2004, 03:38 AM   #42
gretel

gretel is on a distinguished road

Chela y Zabaleta are Gastón'n best friends in tennis circuit.
gretel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:44 AM   #43
country flag Trolls Need Love Too

Trolls Need Love Too is on a distinguished road

Franco Squillari is another one of Gaston's best friends on the circuit.
Trolls Need Love Too is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:59 AM   #44
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

This is part of an article that was written in the Australian tennis magazine reviewing the French Open, so I just typed the bit about Gaudio here.

The Argentine Arrival

By Alan Trengrove

The Argentine Armada were in full force at the French Open, but in a surprising twist, it was unseeded Gaston Gaudio who sailed off with the Grand Slam goods.

It looked like having all the hallmarks of a fascinating fairytale… Guillermo Coria, a reformed wrongdoer, recently married, his wedding ring suspended on a chain round his neck, was poised to become the first Argentine to win the French Open since Guillermo Vilas 27 years ago.

But compatriot Gaston Gaudio had a good story-line of his own. Unheralded and unseeded, with a history of nervous collapses on big occasions, the 25-year-old from Temperley sprang one of the biggest surprises in the history of the tournament by beating the No.3 seed in an extraordinary final.

In a dramatically fluctuating climax, Gaudio finally overcame his jitters, which had driven him to despair in the first two sets, and defeated Coria three years his junior by 0-6, 3-6 6-4, 6-1 8-6 in 3 hours and 31 minutes.

Leading by two sets to love and by 4-3 in the third, the favourite had been two games from a straight sets victory. Then he’d seemed doomed when stricken by leg cramps early in the fourth. For the remainder of that set, Coria could neither run nor keep his shots in the court, but gradually he responded to the trainer’s treatment. In an emotional and topsy-turvy fifth set, he twice served for the match and held two match points.

The money that Gaudio had spent in consulting a psychologist to help him overcome nerves and be less uptight in close matches has paid off. The most talented shot-maker of all the Argentine players , he’d never before been beyond a Grand Slam fourth round. Now, at long last, he has achieved his potential.

Because of Gaudio’s patchy record, the Argentine tennis federation had never supported him as it had, for instance Coria and David Nalbandian. His parents and friends paid most of his expenses. But early this year he was so depressed he considered retirement. His ranking was No.44 at the start of the tournament.

The French crowd didn’t hide its preference for Gaudio, who had eliminated Lleyton Hewitt and Nalbandian in earlier matches. They lifted his morale in his darkest moments by chanting his name.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-17-2004, 04:50 PM   #45
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Gaston is the most talented shotmaker of the Argies. Coria is consistent, determined and rarely makes UEs and he'll do almost anything to win! Nalbers, well, he's my brutish player, up there in terms of greatness but not quite -- he doesn't give up, which is a big plus, his tennis just doesn't do it for me as far as "wow-factor" is concerned!! [but then you know who "wows" me most... and it ain't no Argie!!]. Nice article!

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote