Gaston News, Information & Articles (Exhibition Matches as well) - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-05-2004, 06:23 AM   #16
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gaston News & Articles

From an Australian paper.

Tears of joy as Gaudio books Paris final
June 5, 2004 - 12:30AM

Paris: Unseeded Gaston Gaudio of Argentina upset eighth-seeded compatriot David Nalbandian last night with a class display of clay-court tennis to reach the French Open men's singles final.

Gaudio won 6-3 7-6 (7/5) 6-0 and will now play the winner of the other semi-final between third seeded Guillermo Coria of Argentina and ninth seeded Tim Henman of Britain in Sunday's final.

He is the first Argentinian player to reach the final in Paris since Guillermo Vilas lost to Mats Wilander in 1982.

The 25-year-old Gaudio, playing in his first Grand Slam semi-final in 21 attempts, went into the match as underdog to his 22-year-old compatriot who had beaten both Marat Safin and Gustavo Kuerten on his way to the last four.

But it was Gaudio who took command from the start under cool, cloudy conditions on a half-empty Philippe Chatrier centre-court.

From 3-3, he ran off three games in a row including two service breaks dominating the bigger and more physical Nalbandian with his searing groundstrokes off both flanks from the baseline.

The 2002 Wimbledon runner-up appeared to be getting back into the match when he moved 5-1 up in the second set, but incredibly Gaudio clawed his way back to 5-5 and then in the tie-break he took a 6-2 lead and went two sets up with a smash at the net on his fourth set point.

That appeared to take the heart out of Nalbandian and Gaudio rapidly moved to match point with three successive service breaks.

He hit long on the first but on the second Nalbandian flapped at a forehand and it died at the net sparking off a tearful celebration from Gaudio.

"This is a great day for me. It's my favourite tournament and I have always dreamed of getting to the final here," he said.

"Now that I am in the final I can dream of winning it all, but it will be very hard as both Coria and Henman are excellent players.

"This is the result of a lot of hard work and a lot of hard battles and it is just so satisfying to be able to experience it."

After a promising start to his career, Gaudio appeared to be in danger of being surpassed by a younger set of talented compatriots led by Nalbandian and Coria and he even sought the help of a sports psychologist to learn to relax and take more enjoyment out of his game.

He played reasonably well on clay in the buildup to Roland Garros but struggled though two five-setters in the first two rounds against compatriot Guillermo Canas and Jiri Novak of the Czech Republic.

But he gave marvellous display in the quarter-finals defeating Lleyton Hewitt of Australia in straight sets and his comprehensive win over Nalbandian leaves him on the cusp of achieving his lifelong ambition

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2004, 07:46 PM   #17
country flag chelsea

chelsea will become famous soon enough
Default RG final interview

Roland Garros
Paris
June 6 2004

G. Gaudio/G. Coria
0-6 3-6 6-4 6-1 8-6

Q. Do you think this is your win 100 percent, or that his injury helped you a lot or affected him? >

GASTON GAUDIO: Well, I think that if you play with a guy that he's injured, of course it's gonna help you. But that was in the fourth set. And then in the fifth, he start to run again like the beginning of the match.

So for sure it help me a lot for the fourth set because I was like almost done. And then in the fifth, I start to play again another match. It was like a new match. Because he was running again, and it was tough.

>

Q. How much was difficult to you to manage this situation, that sometimes it's not easy to play. >

GASTON GAUDIO: Well, it's complicated to play a guy that you don't know how to play, you don't know the strategy to play a guy like he's maybe running, maybe not. You just thinking to put the ball in, and then he make a forehand winner, you know. So you don't know how to manage that.

But I think I was a little bit lucky at the end when I got two match points down and I came back. And, I don't know, I did it. I don't know how, but I won.

>

Q. In the fourth set some of us were asking in the press box, you did not seem to be using dropshots in the fourth set even though he could barely move out there. Why not? >

GASTON GAUDIO: Well, is not a big ‑‑ it's not so much important that, you know. It's like I was 6‑1. I won 6‑1 the fourth set. I almost ‑‑ he couldn't run, he couldn't do anything. So I was worried about the fifth and I was thinking about the fifth and not too much in the fourth. I was like just put it in and he was like missing everything, that's why.

>

Q. To follow up on that question. Did you not find yourself struggling with some emotions as a human being rather than just as a competitor on the tennis court that kept you from being a little more ruthless and using dropshots in that fourth set?>

GASTON GAUDIO: I don't know what you mean. I don't understand.

>

Q. Did you find yourself feeling pity and compassion? >

GASTON GAUDIO: No, no, no.

>

Q. Did that affect your play in the fourth set?>

GASTON GAUDIO: No. No, no. No, like I told you before, in the fourth set, I mean, I was just putting the ball in and that's it. I don't care. He was like ‑‑ he couldn't run, but I was thinking about the fifth. That's why.

>

Q. One last question. Is what happened this afternoon, in your opinion, is it an example simply of life just not being very fair sometimes? >

GASTON GAUDIO: Being not fair? Why?

>

Q. Because your opponent suffered an extreme physical injury during the match. >

GASTON GAUDIO: This is a game that we have to run, you have to prepare yourself and you have to do all the stuff to play tennis, you know. And there's mental, physically and tennis. So this is the game. The way that it is.

>

Q. How does a player like you go from last year or the year before struggling a little bit, not having major progress at a Grand Slam, and then coming here in a two‑week period, all of a sudden, you're on top of the world and pull out one of the most remarkable matches we've seen? >

GASTON GAUDIO: Well, I don't realize now. I just finished my match. I don't know how much is gonna change my life with this. I can't believe it yet, so...

I don't know how many changes I made or what was the main thing that I change. But the only thing that I know is that I won. So I don't have the explanation, now. Maybe in a couple of days I gonna realize what I have done.

>

Q. Your coach was saying you made a lot of technical changes as well as the mental work you were speaking about in the last year. Did you always believe or was there a time this year when you thought, "Yes, I can win a Grand Slam. Yes, I've turned the corner and now I can be a great player"? >

GASTON GAUDIO: Well, I guess until now I never believe that I can win a Grand Slam. I was like playing today until the last point, and I was like not even thinking that I'm gonna win this tournament.

So I change a lot of things in my mental part, you know, is like I was working a lot. But I don't know if I was prepared to win the Slam like I did.

So I don't know. Maybe from now on, I'm gonna believe in myself more.

>

Q. How important was making the connection with the crowd, sort of third set and where you went from there?>

GASTON GAUDIO: Well, it was real important for me because I was like a little bit too nervous. And after that, I start to relax. I relax a little bit more, trying to enjoy the moment that I was living, being in a final, and it was my first time, and being with a lot of people down there, with the crowd and everything. It's like too much for me.

So after that, I start to relax a little bit more, and trying to enjoy that moment. It was good. It works.

>

Q. And in that final set, a couple of times you burst out laughing. What were you thinking? >

GASTON GAUDIO: Well, I was laughing because I couldn't believe what was going on over there. It was like a movie, you know. I was watching my coach and I was telling him, "What is this?" I mean, it's like too much.

>

Q. So now that it's happened and you've had a little while to think about it, what does this really mean to you? >

GASTON GAUDIO: Means everything. Everything.

I mean, since I was a kid, I was dreaming to be down here, being here and win this tournament, talking to all these guys here (laughing). It's like a dream, you know.

>

Q. What was the emotional process you were undergoing? Because in the first two sets we thought ‑ at least me ‑ that you were feeling defeated. Then you end laughing. What was the process there? >

GASTON GAUDIO: Well, I think that it was the moment that the people start to make the waves. From that moment, I think that I start to enjoy it more, the match, and being more relax and trying to play my tennis. Because until that moment, I couldn't play like anything. I was too nervous, and I didn't do anything. I was like making so many mistakes.

So I think that from that moment was the main point.

>

Q. When you were down 6‑love, 5‑1, have you thought like, "Okay, Gaston, well done, final is enough," or you always think that you could recover him and go back? >

GASTON GAUDIO: Well, it's tough to be in a final 6‑love, 5‑1 down. It was like I was suffering. I was suffering so much. I was telling my coach that I want to leave, I don't want to be here. I prefer to lose in the first round and not to be in here in the final and making this, you know?

Final, like I told the other guy, it's like I was trying to relax myself a little bit more and trying to enjoy the moment. And, finally, I did it.

>

Q. How do you feel by receiving the trophy from the hands of Guillermo Vilas, who is one of your idols? >

GASTON GAUDIO: It was exactly the way that I dreamed. Well, it's great. I mean, like I told all the people there, I was like ‑‑ I think that I'm playing here because of him. So getting that trophy from him, it was like a dream.

>

Q. You referred a little bit to some of the ups and downs of your career. Can you tell us a little bit more about that. And this year, specifically, how it's been going. And also when you started working with the psychologist. >

GASTON GAUDIO: No, I been working with him since quite a while, I mean one year. But this year, I mean, I was playing so bad. I was like in the clay season, I didn't do anything good. I was not playing my best tennis. I reach the final in Barcelona. And from that moment ‑‑ from that moment I think that I start to get in again in my tennis.

I don't know, I played last week in Dusseldorf, and I won a match that maybe makes me feel so good because I was like almost winning that match. I was 6‑3, 5‑2 serving for the match, and then he would recover and come back. I still fighting. So that, from a mental point of view, was like too good.

When I came here, I was playing match by match, you know, step by step, and I don't know...

>

Q. Follow‑up. What has the psychologist been able to help you improve? >

GASTON GAUDIO: He was helping me in the way that I have to enjoy more the things that I am doing, you know. Like trying to ‑‑ not to suffer so much in the court, and trying to ‑‑ happiness, you know, be happy over there, and trying to fight all the time. That's what he was trying to do with me.

>

Q. You said before that you made lots of sacrifices to play tennis. Can you talk a little bit about it, please. >

GASTON GAUDIO: The sacrifice that all the tennis player used to do, but the people doesn't know. We used to travel so much and being by ourself without my family, without my friends. We can't go out and maybe sometimes have the money to travel when you are not getting so much, when you are not winning and you're not playing big tournaments like now. When you're a kid, you have to maybe ask for money to your grandpa to see maybe if you can take the flight to the tournament.

And all that sacrifices, I think that makes you ‑ how can I say? ‑ makes you, you know, like being there in the court and fight more ‑ more than the other ones.

>

Q. Were you pleased when you saw Guillermo Vilas and John McEnroe giving you the greatest trophy? Were you especially pleased with that? >

GASTON GAUDIO: Especially what?

>

Q. Pleased. >

GASTON GAUDIO: Yeah. I mean, it's like I touch heaven, you know. It's everything. I was talking with (Mack?) before the match and was just asking for some advice, you know. Because I was too nervous and I was telling him what I should do or, "Tell me what you think about it," or, "Give me some advice," because I'm suffering before the match, and it didn't even start.

He was telling me, "You have to relax yourself," and, "You are just in the final, try and enjoy this moment, and maybe in a couple years you will say this ‑‑ you will maybe" ‑ I don't know ‑ "you will say that, 'Why I couldn't enjoy that moment?' And now that I'm not playing anymore, you know, you gonna miss it." He helped me a lot before the match.

I don't know. Even that I start the match so nervous, during the match I was thinking about that.

>

Q. When Guillermo first called the trainer, some people wondered if he was kind of going into some gamesmanship, trying to get in your head a little bit. What were your thoughts at that point? Did you doubt he was injured or did you wait to see what happened?>

GASTON GAUDIO: No, I was waiting just to see what happened. I mean, he couldn't play the fourth set. I think that he was injured. Even the fifth set, he couldn't serve.

Yeah, yeah, I thought maybe the same situation like in Hamburg, but then I realized that it wasn't like that.

>

Q. Do you realize that the same way that Guillermo Vilas was referenced for the kids in Argentina, now you could be a role model for them? >

GASTON GAUDIO: (Laughing). No, I don't even think about that yet. I don't know. Everything is coming too fast, you know. It's like I will have to calm down and go to my hotel, lie on my bed, and just think what I have done, you know.

>

Q. You talked about your family a minute ago. Could you talk about the inspiration of your father, in particular. I know you've mentioned that before. >

GASTON GAUDIO: Well, I think that everything that I have done, I owe it to him. He made so much effort to me, for me, and for all of us, you know, my brothers, my sisters.

So I want to dedicate all this to him. He deserve it, for sure.

>

Q. A couple of days ago, you said you saw Nalbandian and Coria as the Galacticos, and you were something of a Valencia because Valencia won the league. >

GASTON GAUDIO: I don't lie. I always say the truth.

>

Q. Were you being smart at the time?>

GASTON GAUDIO: That's why I say Valencia, you know, because they got the championship and I got it. So I don't lie. That's why (smiling).

>

Q. You said, during your speech, when you were talking about your parents, you didn't ask them to come. Did you think if they came it would make you too nervous? Did you not ask them early enough?>

GASTON GAUDIO: No, I prefer to be like I was in the matches before, just with my people, the people that we were doing our stuff together the whole tournament. So I didn't want them to change anything, you know. They know that I have it always with me, but in my heart, you know.

THE MODERATOR: Spanish questions, please.

>

Q. In your life you lived incredible things in Moscow, in Croatia, in Barcelona. When you look back on what you lived, what do you feel today, when you see that you win 8‑6 in the fifth and that you win the French Open? >

GASTON GAUDIO: It's 100 percent satisfaction. As you said, I had difficult moments. People don't know about it, in Moscow or in Malaga. In Malaga, people know how they criticized me.

It's true when you come back to Buenos Aires that you have the impression that it's my fault, and it hurt me. This is the reason why I enjoy this moment twice as much, because there are people who help me at that difficult moment. It was a difficult moment of my life.

Now, it's like a revenge. I worked a lot, I fought a lot ‑ more than ever. To reach that moment, this is life. Now I enjoy it.

>

Q. Did you think at a certain time you had lost the match? >

GASTON GAUDIO: Yes, at one time I thought it was lost.

Ouch, I have a cramp.

Yes, at any stage I thought I could lose the match ‑ 15‑40, when he was serving. I hit my backhand, and I thought, "We'll see what happens."

>

Q. You didn't have a good year until now, but you beat Moya this year. Do you believe this tournament was important? >

GASTON GAUDIO: Yes. After Barcelona, I had the feeling that I was playing well again, and I felt that my tennis was back. I was feeling good, and I was behaving very well. So I felt good when I arrived in this tournament.

>

Q. Guga in Buenos Aires said that you were a potential winner of the French Open and you had enough talent to win. Did you talk about it with him? >

GASTON GAUDIO: It's true that with Guga, we are good friends. I always admired him as a person before anything else. He was asked how it happened when he won and he came here. I won a challenger last week, and then we speak as good friends. I will not forget that the first time I came here he asked me to play with him. Since then, I respect him a lot.

>

Q. Your career is now at a turning point. You didn't imagine that a couple of minutes ago. Do you think about something? >

GASTON GAUDIO: I believe it is going to change many things, but I don't know what. I don't even realize that I won yet. I didn't have time to understand that. Of course, it will change many things, but I'm not thinking about it right now.

>

Q. It's been 25 years or 27 years since an Argentinian didn't win here. It was legendary. Are you going to become a legend thanks to this victory? >

GASTON GAUDIO: We'll see with time. But we can't compare with Guillermo Vilas. I think it's thanks to him that I was able to play. He won many titles. Nobody's going to catch up on what he did. Now it's our time, but it's another level. I think that everything that can bring joy and pleasure to the Argentinians, we will do it.

>

Q. Up to what point did the support of the public in the third set helped you for winning this match? >

GASTON GAUDIO: I believe it was fundamental, because when I was down 4‑3, I was very nervous. I couldn't feel the ball properly. I was not enjoying it all at that moment. Suddenly, the crowd did the wave, and I enjoyed my tennis more. I enjoyed the match, and I came back into the match.

>

Q. Did you think about Maradona?>

GASTON GAUDIO: Yes, Maradona and all the people I mentioned. If I can bring as much joy as he did, why not? I hope I can give him emotions. Even if we can do very little for him, we will do it.

>

Q. This pres conference is being broadcast in Argentina. Do you want to speak to your parents and your friends in front of the camera? Do you want to send them a message? >

GASTON GAUDIO: I already send a message from the court. I told them what I felt, that I loved them, that everything is for them, and that we are going to celebrate all that when I come back.

>

Q. Are you speaking to someone in particular? >

GASTON GAUDIO: No, to my whole family and all the people who are helping me.

>

Q. You went through hard times. Do you believe you can live that kind of moment in Davis Cup? Did you think about the difficult moments you might live in tennis? >

GASTON GAUDIO: Every match I play is a new experience. Whether it was in Russia or in Malaga, all that is good experience. Even if some of you ‑ not all of you ‑ criticized me in Malaga. I learned from that and it gave me strength to fight. Today, I enjoy all the more. It's possible that from now on, I will be able to manage better my emotions.

>

Q. There's no doubt that the Argentinian tennis had a period before Vilas and a period after Vilas. Are we going to have to wait 27 years more to live again this kind of celebration on the court? >

GASTON GAUDIO: No. As I said before, Guillermo and David have an incredible tennis. They are both able to win this kind of tournament and they have many years ahead. Just as well he didn't win today, because it would have been very difficult for me because I don't have many years left in tennis. They have many years ahead in tennis.
chelsea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:57 AM   #18
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true

Gaudio finds faith at death
June 8, 2004

An emotionally and physically exhausting roller-coaster ride of a French Open final ended with the underdog on top, writes Linda Pearce in Paris.

Guillermo Vilas has never seen a match like it and doubts he will again. This was dramatic, compelling claycourt theatre, in which Gaston Gaudio conjured one of the great grand slam comebacks to upset raging favourite Guillermo Coria in a historic first all-Argentinian major final that will be remembered as much, much more.

Gaudio, so distressed in the dressing room before the match that he asked for advice from famous French Open failure John McEnroe, almost capitulated in pitiful straight sets. Coria, having virtually touched a victory he seemed to believe was his destiny, seized up with nerve-related cramps, yet still found himself with two championship points in an extraordinary fifth set.

"It was a roller-coaster," said Vilas, the 1977 French champion who presented the trophy to 25-year-old Gaudio, his unlikely Argentinian successor. "It was unbelievable. I never saw anything like that in a tennis match. I don't know if you can top this match."

It was the first French Open men's final in 70 years in which a champion had saved a match point but not even Gaudio had believed it could be done.

"When I was match point down, I was thinking this is done, this is over," he said, after prevailing 0-6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1, 8-6.

Gaudio had not believed in a lot of things, most notably himself. Battered by two infamous Davis Cup defeats and assorted tournament capitulations, he has been helped by a psychologist and a coach, Franco Davin, who worked with him technically, physically and mentally, and advised him to get his personal life in order so that the tennis would follow.

"This means everything," Gaudio said. "Everything. Since I was a kid I was dreaming to be here and win this tournament. Maybe now I'm gonna believe in myself more."

Sunday's first three sets between the two first-time grand slam finalists prepared the stage for the drama that was to follow, as Gaudio started the match paralysed by a similar affliction to that which affected Elena Dementieva on Saturday. He resorted to asking for help from a surprised McEnroe, because "I'm suffering before the match and it didn't even start".

Gaudio took nine attempts to win a game, and at 0-6, 1-5, told Davin he wanted out.

"I was telling him that I want to leave," Gaudio said. "I prefer to lose in the first round and not to be in here in the final and making this, you know?"

Coria had played up to his reputation as the game's best claycourter and the 22-year-old's near-faultless display lasted until the middle of the third set, when Gaudio rode the Mexican wave of a sympathetic crowd that seemed almost embarrassed for him. He relaxed at last.

It was also about that time that Coria first felt the cramps. By the end of the set he was also gasping for air after some long points. The crucial game was the ninth, dropped by Coria from 40-0. He called a medical time-out for the first of several treatments on his left leg at 1-1 in the fourth.

Coria admitted he was exhausted, by anxiety as much as anything, and in conceding the fourth set looked so spent that at any moment he would concede the match as well. But then, at the start of the fifth, Coria danced out to receive like he had been treated with a magic potion.

"Whatever [ATP head trainer] Per Bastholt rubbed him with, I'd like a case immediately," said McEnroe, drily, from his commentary perch. Gaudio, who must have thought the title was almost his, was befuddled.

Was it gamesmanship? "That's right," he said at first in an on-court interview. "I couldn't believe how he was cramping and then in the fifth he was running like hell."

Although Gaudio said later that he accepted the injury as legitimate, Vilas said he could not believe it was cramp. Davin, Coria's former coach, was cynical about the turnaround.

"Something like this happened in the past," Davin told the Herald. "So he probably did it again to upset Gaston on the court and make him lose his concentration."

Gaudio was mentally suspect right until the last point. He sobbed after the semi-finals, saying he was not sure what he was doing at this stage of the French Open, and burst out laughing at critical stages of the fifth set.

"I couldn't believe what was going on," he explained. "It was like a movie, you know."

So weary was Gaudio by the time he earned a match point, after three hours and 31 minutes, that he decided to rip the first backhand he received. A glorious crosscourt winner delivered the trophy he had always coveted.

He stood on the baseline and bellowed for joy, hurling his racquet skywards, and accepted Coria's embrace at the net before embarking on a lap of the court.

There were tears as he went up into the stand to embrace his support crew, and more as he accepted the trophy from Vilas, at whose Buenos Aires club he had first practised as an 11-year-old.

"It's like I touch heaven," said Gaudio, who insisted, graciously, that although this was his moment, next year it would be Coria's. The loser broke down in the interview room when he spoke of the impact of a doping suspension for inadvertently taking a vitamin supplement laced with nandrolone in 2001. This was the title he had wanted ever since, only to be betrayed by his body and his nerve.

He came agonisingly close. When Coria four times broke serve to edge ahead in the fifth set, and twice served for the title, it seemed that there was one player who did not know how to win, and another who was not going to lose, whatever it took. Gaudio found a way. Coria helped him. And an emotional day for Argentina was a remarkable day for tennis.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-08-2004, 03:11 AM   #19
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...460200261.html

Gaudio wins dramatic French Open title
June 7, 2004

Paris: Argentina's Gaston Gaudio won the French Open title on Sunday in dramatic circumstances battling back to a 0-6 3-6 6-4 6-1 8-6 win against compatriot Guillermo Coria.

As well as collecting 860,000 euro ($A1.53 million) 25-year-old Gaudio, ranked a modest 44 in the world, becomes the first Argentinian man to win a Grand Slam since Guillermo Vilas won the Australian Open in 1979.

Vilas was also the last Argentine to win here in 1977.

The heartbroken third-seeded Coria had been cruising to victory at one stage wrapping up the first two sets in just an hour and was looking at the possibility of taking the quickest ever final win in the history of the tournament.

But after failing to make sure of victory in the third set, he was forced to call for treatment from the physio on a damaged left thigh at 1-1 in the fourth and from that point on was labouring around the court.

He valiantly carried on, called for more treatment and tried to shake off the problem but had to concede the fourth set as he was reduced to walking pace around the court.

In a tense final set, both players lost their serves twice as the score reached 4-4 with Coria now suffering again, able only to serve rooted to the spot.

Incredibly Coria broke to lead 5-4 but was unable to serve out the match as Gaudio came back to 5-5.

Again Gaudio held on, saving two match points in the 12th game before taking the next to go 7-6.

It was Coria who cracked. He hit a wild forehand to give Gaudio two match points but he only needed one when he unleashed a powerful backhand from the baseline which the exhausted Coria was unable to reach after 3hr 31min on court.

Gaudio's win makes him the fourth lowest ranked player ever to win a Grand Slam title.

Coria had raced through the first set in just 30 minutes breaking serve three times while Gaudio struggled to get a foothold.

Gaudio won just 11 points in the entire first set and only two off the Coria serve which, although lightweight, was always consistent and penetrating.

Gaudio was soon behind 4-1 in the second, when Coria hit a sensational running forehand, and then 5-1 with Coria hitting two aces.

Gaudio rallied to 5-3 with his first break of serve of the day but handed back the advantage, and the second set, in the next game which was wrapped up with a killer drop shot by Coria with the match clock standing at just one hour.

Playing free of nerves, Gaudio made more of a contest of it in the third set breaking to 3-2 before again Coria levelled straight away at 3-3.

After holding to go 4-4, he applauded the crowd for their support, even dropping his racquet to the ground at one stage to clap the packed house who cheered his valiant efforts.

They were on their feet when he came back from 0-40 in the ninth game to break to lead 5-4 and were even rowdier when, incredibly he held to love to clinch the third set after 1hr 54min.

It was then that the complexion of the entire match changed

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-08-2004, 07:13 PM   #20
country flag FrenchLouise

FrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond repute

From La Nacion

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/cobertura...nota_id=608305

"Comienza una nueva vida para mí"
El Gato, que se ubicó hoy entre los diez mejores tenistas del circuito, posó con el trofeo de Roland Garros en las tradicionales fotos de los ganadores en calles de París

Luego de la alegría tras la emotiva final de ayer en Roland Garros, los fríos números también son motivos de sonrisas para Gastón Gaudio.
El Gato pegó el gran salto en los rankings de la ATP: ascendió del puesto 44º al 10º en el listado del Sistema de Acceso y avanzó 30 posiciones en la Carrera de Campeones para quedar en el puesto número 4.
La agenda del tenista de Temperley, que tenía previsto llegar hoy a la Argentina, tuvo que ser cambiada por los flashes del éxito.
A pesar de que tenía previsto arribar lo antes posible para descansar junto a sus familiares y amigos luego de la mejor conquista de su vida, se quedó un día más en París para cumplir con las formalidades que tienen cumplir todos los campeones: las tradicionales fotos que la organización dispone tomar de los ganadores en el centro de la ´Ciudad Luz´, en el Arco de Triunfo y por Champs Elysées.
Esta mañana, y para continuar con la cábala que lo acompañó durante todo el torneo, Gaudio se comunicó con Mario Pergolini, conductor del programa de radio ¿Cuál es?.
Durante la conversación, el ganador del segundo Grand Slam del año, de compras con un amigo, se mostró feliz e incrédulo por la cantidad de personas que están hablando sobre él en la Argentina, mientras que, en tono de broma, Pergolini le pedía que disputara el certamen de Wimbledon que comenzará en tres semanas en Inglatera.
Modelo en París
Las fotografías de los organizadores debieron haberse tomado en el día de ayer, pero como la final con Guillermo Coria concluyó muy tarde y luego fue asediado por los periodistas de todo el mundo, los organizadores decidieron postergarla para hoy.
Acompañado con una infaltable gorrita de color verde, que no se la sacó pese al pedido de los más de 20 fotógrafos de los medios más importantes del mundo y con la Copa en sus manos, se prestó a la requisitoria de los fotógrafos y camarógrafos.
También se acercaron al lugar varios turistas estadounidenses y asiáticos y algunos tuvieron la posibilidad de llevarse de recuerdo una foto con el nuevo rey de París.
Emocionado y a su vez sorprendido, Gaudio afirmó que "no me imaginaba que alguna vez iba a estar con este trofeo posando en el Arco de triunfo. Es el camino que hacía todos los días del hotel al estadio. Me asombraba el lío que se armaba con el tránsito".
Hizo referencia a que "ahora comienza una nueva vida para mí. Me molesta un poco, ya que todos me quieren hacer notas. He dormido poco y ni siquiera tuve tiempo para ponerme a pensar de lo que logré. No pude ni almorzar".
Asimismo agregó que "tampoco tuve tiempo para comunicarme con mi familia, me llamaron mis amigos. No veo la hora de volver. Voy a estar 12 horas solo en el avión".
Se mostró sorprendido por la repercusión que alcanzó su triunfo "iba por la calle caminando y de los autos me gritaban. Gaudio, Gaudio. Es todo nuevo para mí, pero me tendré que acostumbrar. Tengo que manejar todo esto. Es el precio que debo pagar".
"Este triunfo me da muchas fuerzas para progresar, crecer en mi juego y mantenerme en alto nivel", indicó.
El regreso de la nueva estrella del tenis mundial, que se metió por primera vez entre los Top Ten, al ganar ayer el tradicional torneo de Roland Garros, se producirá mañana en las primeras horas.
Triunfo de la Argentina
A pocas horas de la mayor coronación de Gastón Gaudio, Roberto Carruthers, presidente de Temperley Lawn Tennis Club y ex entrenador del jugador, expresó a LA NACION LINE : "Nos enorgullece el triunfo de Gastón pero yo pienso que ganó el tenis argentino porque tuvimos a cuatro o cinco jugadores en las finales del torneo más importante de polvo de ladrillo."
Más allá de la emoción por la victoria del tenista argentino, Carruthers admitió: "El juego de ayer particularmente no me gustó, pero tenemos que entender que las finales no son partidos normales. A lo largo de las dos semanas jugó muy bien."
En tanto, ubicó el pico más alto de su juego en el partido contra Lleyton Hewitt. "Le dio un baile que hace tiempo que no veo", exclamó.
Al consultarle qué futuro se perfila para Gaudio, opinó: "Esperamos que siga jugando como en Roland Garros y que siga concentrado que era su falla. Va a mantener un muy alto nivel."
En este sentido, consideró que esta victoria servirá para paliar la poca confianza que más de una vez evidenció y que interfirió en su calidad de juego: "Ojalá que esto lo fortifique, está mucho mejor, es un Gaudio totalmente cambiado", subrayó.
Su ex entrenador recordó los primeros pasos del "Gato" en el tenis y relató: "Venía al club de chiquito, era talentoso en todos los deportes y soñaba con el título de Roland Garros".
.<< Comienzo de la notaLuego de la alegría tras la emotiva final de ayer en Roland Garros, los fríos números también son motivos de sonrisas para Gastón Gaudio.
El Gato pegó el gran salto en los rankings de la ATP: ascendió del puesto 44º al 10º en el listado del Sistema de Acceso y avanzó 30 posiciones en la Carrera de Campeones para quedar en el puesto número 4.
La agenda del tenista de Temperley, que tenía previsto llegar hoy a la Argentina, tuvo que ser cambiada por los flashes del éxito.
A pesar de que tenía previsto arribar lo antes posible para descansar junto a sus familiares y amigos luego de la mejor conquista de su vida, se quedó un día más en París para cumplir con las formalidades que tienen cumplir todos los campeones: las tradicionales fotos que la organización dispone tomar de los ganadores en el centro de la ´Ciudad Luz´, en el Arco de Triunfo y por Champs Elysées.
Esta mañana, y para continuar con la cábala que lo acompañó durante todo el torneo, Gaudio se comunicó con Mario Pergolini, conductor del programa de radio ¿Cuál es?.
Durante la conversación, el ganador del segundo Grand Slam del año, de compras con un amigo, se mostró feliz e incrédulo por la cantidad de personas que están hablando sobre él en la Argentina, mientras que, en tono de broma, Pergolini le pedía que disputara el certamen de Wimbledon que comenzará en tres semanas en Inglatera.
Modelo en París
Las fotografías de los organizadores debieron haberse tomado en el día de ayer, pero como la final con Guillermo Coria concluyó muy tarde y luego fue asediado por los periodistas de todo el mundo, los organizadores decidieron postergarla para hoy.
Acompañado con una infaltable gorrita de color verde, que no se la sacó pese al pedido de los más de 20 fotógrafos de los medios más importantes del mundo y con la Copa en sus manos, se prestó a la requisitoria de los fotógrafos y camarógrafos.
También se acercaron al lugar varios turistas estadounidenses y asiáticos y algunos tuvieron la posibilidad de llevarse de recuerdo una foto con el nuevo rey de París.
Emocionado y a su vez sorprendido, Gaudio afirmó que "no me imaginaba que alguna vez iba a estar con este trofeo posando en el Arco de triunfo. Es el camino que hacía todos los días del hotel al estadio. Me asombraba el lío que se armaba con el tránsito".
Hizo referencia a que "ahora comienza una nueva vida para mí. Me molesta un poco, ya que todos me quieren hacer notas. He dormido poco y ni siquiera tuve tiempo para ponerme a pensar de lo que logré. No pude ni almorzar".
Asimismo agregó que "tampoco tuve tiempo para comunicarme con mi familia, me llamaron mis amigos. No veo la hora de volver. Voy a estar 12 horas solo en el avión".
Se mostró sorprendido por la repercusión que alcanzó su triunfo "iba por la calle caminando y de los autos me gritaban. Gaudio, Gaudio. Es todo nuevo para mí, pero me tendré que acostumbrar. Tengo que manejar todo esto. Es el precio que debo pagar".
"Este triunfo me da muchas fuerzas para progresar, crecer en mi juego y mantenerme en alto nivel", indicó.
El regreso de la nueva estrella del tenis mundial, que se metió por primera vez entre los Top Ten, al ganar ayer el tradicional torneo de Roland Garros, se producirá mañana en las primeras horas.
Triunfo de la Argentina
A pocas horas de la mayor coronación de Gastón Gaudio, Roberto Carruthers, presidente de Temperley Lawn Tennis Club y ex entrenador del jugador, expresó a LA NACION LINE : "Nos enorgullece el triunfo de Gastón pero yo pienso que ganó el tenis argentino porque tuvimos a cuatro o cinco jugadores en las finales del torneo más importante de polvo de ladrillo."
Más allá de la emoción por la victoria del tenista argentino, Carruthers admitió: "El juego de ayer particularmente no me gustó, pero tenemos que entender que las finales no son partidos normales. A lo largo de las dos semanas jugó muy bien."
En tanto, ubicó el pico más alto de su juego en el partido contra Lleyton Hewitt. "Le dio un baile que hace tiempo que no veo", exclamó.
Al consultarle qué futuro se perfila para Gaudio, opinó: "Esperamos que siga jugando como en Roland Garros y que siga concentrado que era su falla. Va a mantener un muy alto nivel."
En este sentido, consideró que esta victoria servirá para paliar la poca confianza que más de una vez evidenció y que interfirió en su calidad de juego: "Ojalá que esto lo fortifique, está mucho mejor, es un Gaudio totalmente cambiado", subrayó.
Su ex entrenador recordó los primeros pasos del "Gato" en el tenis y relató: "Venía al club de chiquito, era talentoso en todos los deportes y soñaba con el título de Roland Garros".
FrenchLouise is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:00 PM   #21
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

This is from his hometown Temperley website

¡Gracias, Gastón!
Temperley en su hora deportiva más gloriosa

No es común lo que sucedió hoy en Roland Garros. Pocas veces en la historia de este Grand Slam, un tenista no preclasificado gana el torneo. Si a esto le sumamos que en 27 años (desde Vilas) ningún argentino había ganado el certamen, y si además, quien resultó triunfador se ubica en el puesto 44° del ranking de la ATP, estamos hablando de una proeza. Gastón Gaudio, al derrotar a Guillermo Coria por 0-6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 y 8-6, demostró que está para grandes cosas. Dio vuelta un partido que parecía definido en el segundo set, y jugó a partir de allí un partido vibrante, quizás el mejor de todo el certamen.

Nadie pudo enfrentar con éxito su entrega, su arrolladora confianza y su probada técnica. Con un estadio repleto, un puñado de argentinos se dirimió entre los dos compatriotas que hoy hicieron historia por ser la primera final de un Grand Slam entre 'gauchos', como nos bautizó la prensa internacional para la ocasión.

Al finalizar el encuentro, Gastón saludó al público, feliz, y al ser consultado por la TV francesa sobre su parecer luego de ganar, sólo respondió: 'Yo no gané. No puede ser'. Así, espontáneo, se quebró cuando recordó a su familia y a su novia, al dirigir la palabra luego de recibir la copa de manos de Guillermo Vilas, en un momento memorable del deporte argentino. Gastón nació el 9 de Diciembre de 1978.

Vivió en Temperley toda su infancia. Aquí comenzó a jugar tenis y se hizo conocido. Temperley vive con él su hora deportiva más gloriosa. Las instancias del cotejo fueron seguidas minuto a minuto en toda la ciudad. El Temperley Lawn Tennis Club y el Club Atlético Temperley, ambas instituciones donde el 'Gato' fue alumno de tenis, se paralizaron para vivir, sufrir y disfrutar el encuentro. Se sufrió, sí, pero ahora todo es dicha. Gracias, Gastón, por el tenis, por Argentina, y por Temperley.

The caveman translation

Thanks, Gastón!
Temperley in its more glorious sport hour

It is not common what happened today in Roland Garros. Not very often in the history of this Grand Slam, a preclassified tennis player does not gain the match. If to this we added to him that in 27 years (from Vilas) no Argentinean had gained the contest, and if in addition, that was triunfador is located in the position 44° of the ranking of the ATP, we are speaking of a feat. Gastón Gaudio, when defeating to Guillermo Coria by 0-6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 and 8-6, demonstrated that it is for great things.

It gave to return a party that seemed defined in the second Seth, and played there from a vibrant party, perhaps the best one of all the contest. Nobody could successfully face its delivery, its sweeping confidence and its technical proving. With a filled stage, a handful of Argentineans was dissolved both between compatriots who today made history be the first end of a Grand Slam between ' gauchos', as she baptized the international press to us for the occasion.

When finalizing the encounter, Gastón greeted the public, happy, and to the being consulted by the French TV on his to seem after winning, only respondio ': ' I did not win. Ser' cannot. Thus, spontaneous, one became broken when it remembered to its family and her fiancèe, when directing the word after receiving the glass of hands of Guillermo Vilas, in a while memorable of the Argentine sport. Gastón was born the 9 of December of 1978.

Its childhood lived in Temperley all. Here it began to play tennis and one became well-known. Temperley lives with him its more glorious sport hour. The instances of I collate were followed minute by minute in all the city. The Temperley Lawn Tennis Club and the Athletic Club Temperley , both institutions where the ' Gató was tennis student, became paralyzed to live, to undergo and to enjoy the encounter. It was taken place, yes, but now everything is said. Thanks, Gastón, by tennis, by Argentina, and Temperley.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-10-2004, 10:51 PM   #22
country flag FrenchLouise

FrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchLouise has a reputation beyond repute

LA NACION
Después de Roland Garros
Gaudio: "Hoy disfruto de todas las cosas"
Está en el centro de la escena y goza de su momento más deseado luego de la consagración en París

Autógrafos por aquí y por allá. Reportajes por doquier, producciones especiales, cientos de pedidos de notas... Gastón Gaudio está en el centro de la escena tras su victoria en Roland Garros. Y en medio del salto al reconocimiento, intenta gozar al máximo de su mejor hora. "Hoy disfruto de todas las cosas porque es todo muy cercano; por ahí, cuando pasen los días y esté cansado, no sé cómo será. No estoy acostumbrado a ésto, pero le pongo voluntad, me la banco", dice el Gato, en una charla con LA NACION. Vestido con un pulover gris y negro, pantalón marrón y una gorra gris, Gaudio bebe un té de hierbas y espera otra pregunta.
-En París, levantaste la copa de los Mosqueteros, pero aquí llegaste con una réplica...
-La verdad, no sabía que la tenía que devolver. Yo pensé que me llevaba la grande, ya la imaginaba en casa, la iba a mirar todos los días (se ríe)... La chiquita es igual, pero tiene otro significado.
-¿Qué momentos te quedaron marcados de Roland Garros?
(Piensa un largo rato) -El quinto set del partido con Novak, que fue durísimo -por la segunda rueda-, cuando le dije a Davin: este partido lo voy a ganar cómo sea, aunque estaba terriblemente complicado. Después, la noche previa a la final; le dije a Franco: estoy contento porque es el último día y nos vamos de acá. No aguanto un minuto más la presión de estar quince días pensando todo el tiempo que mañana tengo que jugar o hacer otra cosa y no poder irme a dormir tranquilo y relajado; estoy más contento por eso que por estar en la final. Y los match-points con Coria.
-¿Los bajones anímicos quedaron definitivamente atrás?
-No, es algo normal. Cualquiera puede tener bajones si pasa por situaciones difíciles. Quizá no tengo tantos como antes, pero los estados anímicos son así; a veces voy a estar bien, a veces mal. No queda otra.
-Enrique Morea, el presidente de la AAT, estuvo en Roland Garros. ¿En algún momento se acercó a pedirte disculpas por lo que te dijo en Málaga? ("lo de este chico da lástima")
-No. Se acercó una vez a Coria, y como yo estaba al lado, me saludó.
-¿Querés volver a jugar la Copa Davis?
-Sí, cómo no la voy a querer jugar. Desde que me llamaron siempre fui. Es el orgullo que tengo y es por lo único que me hace vibrar el tenis.
-¿Y no temés que te pueda pasar lo mismo que en España?
-Pero eso le puede pasar a cualquiera. Y perdí contra el N° 1 y el N° 6 del mundo, ya lo dije mil veces.
-¿Quién querés que sea el nuevo capitán?
-No importa. Se hizo una votación (en Montecarlo, que derivó en una carta a la AAT) y salieron los dos que fueron propuestos (Mancini y Jaite).
-¿En qué momento de tu vida pensaste: el tenis es lo que me gusta, esto es lo que quiero hacer?
-A los 16 o 17 años, cuando mi papá (Norberto) se enfermó. Ese fue el punto de partida.
-¿Y alguna vez te arrepentiste de esa decisión?
-Mil veces... Cada vez que se pierde un partido, la pasás mal y pensás: hubiese ido a la facultad, a estudiar tranquilo, estar con mis amigos, ser un pibe normal, no estar pasando por estas cosas... Todo eso se te ocurre. Muchas veces me arrepentí.
-¿Cuál fue el momento más difícil en tu carrera?
-Fueron muchos, pero creo que lo más duro es el principio, cuando todavía no sabés si vas a llegar o no, cuando sos chico y dudás, a ver si tenés nivel o estás perdiendo el tiempo. Eso es lo más duro. Y encima, no está la madurez para enfrentarlo.
-De todos los elogios y cuestionamientos recibidos, ¿cuáles fueron los que más recordás?
-Todos me llegan, pero lo que más me importa es lo que me dice mi familia.
Por José Luis Domínguez
De la Redacción de LA NACION
La visita de un ídolo: Bochini
En el hotel Emperador, donde volvió a reunirse con la prensa, Gastón Gaudio recibió la visita de Enrique Bochini. Considerado uno de los mejores futbolistas de la historia de Independiente, el Bocha se acercó a saludar al campeón de Roland Garros, reconocido fana de los Rojos, y le obsequió una camiseta autografiada con su apellido, mientras que Gaudio le regaló una raqueta.
"Esto no tiene precio, y viene de parte de un campeón mundial", dijo un emocionado Gaudio, que también recordó que cada vez que Bochini lo fue a ver jugar por la Copa Davis, no perdió ni un set. Gaudio, además, será homenajeado con la entrega de una plaqueta mañana por la noche, cuando Independiente reciba a Talleres, por la 17ª fecha del Clausura.
.<< Comienzo de la notaAutógrafos por aquí y por allá. Reportajes por doquier, producciones especiales, cientos de pedidos de notas... Gastón Gaudio está en el centro de la escena tras su victoria en Roland Garros. Y en medio del salto al reconocimiento, intenta gozar al máximo de su mejor hora. "Hoy disfruto de todas las cosas porque es todo muy cercano; por ahí, cuando pasen los días y esté cansado, no sé cómo será. No estoy acostumbrado a ésto, pero le pongo voluntad, me la banco", dice el Gato, en una charla con LA NACION. Vestido con un pulover gris y negro, pantalón marrón y una gorra gris, Gaudio bebe un té de hierbas y espera otra pregunta.
-En París, levantaste la copa de los Mosqueteros, pero aquí llegaste con una réplica...
-La verdad, no sabía que la tenía que devolver. Yo pensé que me llevaba la grande, ya la imaginaba en casa, la iba a mirar todos los días (se ríe)... La chiquita es igual, pero tiene otro significado.
-¿Qué momentos te quedaron marcados de Roland Garros?
(Piensa un largo rato) -El quinto set del partido con Novak, que fue durísimo -por la segunda rueda-, cuando le dije a Davin: este partido lo voy a ganar cómo sea, aunque estaba terriblemente complicado. Después, la noche previa a la final; le dije a Franco: estoy contento porque es el último día y nos vamos de acá. No aguanto un minuto más la presión de estar quince días pensando todo el tiempo que mañana tengo que jugar o hacer otra cosa y no poder irme a dormir tranquilo y relajado; estoy más contento por eso que por estar en la final. Y los match-points con Coria.
-¿Los bajones anímicos quedaron definitivamente atrás?
-No, es algo normal. Cualquiera puede tener bajones si pasa por situaciones difíciles. Quizá no tengo tantos como antes, pero los estados anímicos son así; a veces voy a estar bien, a veces mal. No queda otra.
-Enrique Morea, el presidente de la AAT, estuvo en Roland Garros. ¿En algún momento se acercó a pedirte disculpas por lo que te dijo en Málaga? ("lo de este chico da lástima")
-No. Se acercó una vez a Coria, y como yo estaba al lado, me saludó.
-¿Querés volver a jugar la Copa Davis?
-Sí, cómo no la voy a querer jugar. Desde que me llamaron siempre fui. Es el orgullo que tengo y es por lo único que me hace vibrar el tenis.
-¿Y no temés que te pueda pasar lo mismo que en España?
-Pero eso le puede pasar a cualquiera. Y perdí contra el N° 1 y el N° 6 del mundo, ya lo dije mil veces.
-¿Quién querés que sea el nuevo capitán?
-No importa. Se hizo una votación (en Montecarlo, que derivó en una carta a la AAT) y salieron los dos que fueron propuestos (Mancini y Jaite).
-¿En qué momento de tu vida pensaste: el tenis es lo que me gusta, esto es lo que quiero hacer?
-A los 16 o 17 años, cuando mi papá (Norberto) se enfermó. Ese fue el punto de partida.
-¿Y alguna vez te arrepentiste de esa decisión?
-Mil veces... Cada vez que se pierde un partido, la pasás mal y pensás: hubiese ido a la facultad, a estudiar tranquilo, estar con mis amigos, ser un pibe normal, no estar pasando por estas cosas... Todo eso se te ocurre. Muchas veces me arrepentí.
-¿Cuál fue el momento más difícil en tu carrera?
-Fueron muchos, pero creo que lo más duro es el principio, cuando todavía no sabés si vas a llegar o no, cuando sos chico y dudás, a ver si tenés nivel o estás perdiendo el tiempo. Eso es lo más duro. Y encima, no está la madurez para enfrentarlo.
-De todos los elogios y cuestionamientos recibidos, ¿cuáles fueron los que más recordás?
-Todos me llegan, pero lo que más me importa es lo que me dice mi familia.
Por José Luis Domínguez
De la Redacción de LA NACION
La visita de un ídolo: Bochini
En el hotel Emperador, donde volvió a reunirse con la prensa, Gastón Gaudio recibió la visita de Enrique Bochini. Considerado uno de los mejores futbolistas de la historia de Independiente, el Bocha se acercó a saludar al campeón de Roland Garros, reconocido fana de los Rojos, y le obsequió una camiseta autografiada con su apellido, mientras que Gaudio le regaló una raqueta.
"Esto no tiene precio, y viene de parte de un campeón mundial", dijo un emocionado Gaudio, que también recordó que cada vez que Bochini lo fue a ver jugar por la Copa Davis, no perdió ni un set. Gaudio, además, será homenajeado con la entrega de una plaqueta mañana por la noche, cuando Independiente reciba a Talleres, por la 17ª fecha del Clausura.
Gaudio tells of how he is enjoying everything as he does not know what the future will be and is drinking herbal tea (like Viggo!) and still wearing his grey cap. He says that he did not know he was not getting the original Coupe des Mousquetaires but only a small replica. The most memorable moments of Roland Garros: the fifth set against Novak, then the night before the final, when he told his coach how happy he was that it was soon over as he could not bear the pressure any longer, and then the match points against Coria.
The reporter asks him if Enrique Morea, the president of the AAT, who said in Malaga (Davis Cup, Spain vs Argentina) that Gaudio was pitiful, and was at Roland Garros, if he apologised: he didn't.
He says he is always and always has been willing to play the Davis Cup. "What happened in Spain can happen to anyone. I lost against the no1 and 6 in the world, as I've said a thousand times".
The moment he understood tennis was his life: around 16 or 17, when his father fell ill. A decision he regretted "thousands of times, with every defeat", recalling how he longed to be a "pibe normal", go to college and hang out with his friends.
The hardest moment in his career? Not knowing if he was going to make it. The congratulations that really mattered following his victory: those of his family.
FrenchLouise is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:44 AM   #23
country flag rassklovn

rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/...to598795.shtml

Argentina hails new hero

Watch out Diego Maradona - there's a new sporting hero in town. French Open winner Gaston Gaudio has joined Argentina's pantheon of sporting greats after his thrilling victory over Guillermo Coria on Sunday. "Gaudio touches heaven in Paris," beamed one newspaper on Monday, picturing the ecstatic 25-year-old.

ROLAND GARROS: Gaudio back from brink

Argentina's leading sports daily hailed "Gaudios" - punning on Dios, the Spanish word for God - a nickname reserved until now for Maradona in the soccer-mad country.

Unseeded Gaudio clawed back from two sets down to take the French Open crown after number three seed Coria fell foul to nerves and cramps, triggering an outpouring of emotion back home.

"Roland Gaudio," said Clarin's special tennis pullout supplement, renaming Roland Garros as Argentina's own.

"The King of Paris," exclaimed La Nacion.

The last Argentine to win the French Open men's singles was Guillermo Vilas in 1977 and it was the country's first men's singles grand slam win in 25 years.

"We had to wait 8,922 days for a countryman to return to the top of one of the four major men's tournaments," said La Nacion.

But Coria's defeat meant the victory was bittersweet.

In his hometown of Venado Tuerto supporters had uncorked the champagne early as the 22-year-old appeared on track for a three-set whitewash.

"Venado Tuerto is suffering," said Clarin.

Photographs of an ecstatic Gaudio gave way to pictures of a disconsolate Coria and his aghast wife Carla.

"What happened?" asked Ole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big_MD-I145442.jpg (7.6 KB, 26 views)
rassklovn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:42 PM   #24
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

This is courtesy of some very nice Nalbandian fans in Argentina.

Gaudio was on the programe CQC which is a humor program yesterday and he was asked, if David had won the SF, who would have cheered for? David or Coria? and he said David.

Then he made some comment not giving a shit about Coria's cramps. That he wanted to win it no matter what, he wouldn't have minded if he had drop dead in the middle of the court.

That's the atitude I love to hear.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-11-2004, 11:28 PM   #25
country flag jazz_girl

jazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give you more details on that: in that tv programme all the hosts wear suits and dark glasses and Gastón co-hosted wearing the same outfit. Here's the link of the website of that tv show, maybe they'll upload a clip from the show later on, they always do it
http://www.cqc.tv/
jazz_girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:33 PM   #26
country flag jazz_girl

jazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some links that you might enjoy:
http://www.uol.com.ar/especiales/ext...90000/?h0m3=T6
jazz_girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:35 AM   #27
country flag tommy_girl

tommy_girl has a reputation beyond reputetommy_girl has a reputation beyond reputetommy_girl has a reputation beyond reputetommy_girl has a reputation beyond reputetommy_girl has a reputation beyond reputetommy_girl has a reputation beyond reputetommy_girl has a reputation beyond reputetommy_girl has a reputation beyond reputetommy_girl has a reputation beyond reputetommy_girl has a reputation beyond reputetommy_girl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_girl
I'll give you more details on that: in that tv programme all the hosts wear suits and dark glasses and Gastón co-hosted wearing the same outfit. Here's the link of the website of that tv show, maybe they'll upload a clip from the show later on, they always do it
http://www.cqc.tv/
i wish i could see him in suit.. i tried the link but i just cant understand spanish.. wish i could... do u have some pictures or screenshots of him in suit?
tommy_girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 05:21 AM   #28
country flag chelsea

thanks for the links, jazz_girl

But I did't see the clip with Gato in suit either

Last edited by chelsea : 06-12-2004 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:23 AM   #29
country flag chelsea

Gaudio will play in Kitzbuehel

KITZBUEHEL (Austria): The 2004 French Open winner, Gaston Gaudio of Argentina, will play at the Generali Open in Kitzbuehel, organisers announced Thursday.

Gaudio, who won the Paris title in a five-set thriller against countryman Guillermo Coria last Sunday, agreed play at the $1 million tournament, held from July 17 to 25. “We are very proud to have Gaston come to Kitzbuehel. He will certainly be our main attraction,” tournament director Hellmuth Kuechenmeister said. The 25-year-old, currently number ten in the ATP world rankings, will most likely be seeded No 2 behind 2003 Australian Open finalist Rainer Schuettler of Germany. Last year, Gaudio was eliminated in the quarterfinals, going down to Spanish clay court specialist Gustavo Lopez in three sets 2-6, 7-5, 5-7. Defending Kitzbuehel champion Coria canceled his start, “because he wants to fully focus on the Olympics,” Kuechenmeister explained. Other star players, who have already agreed to play at the Generali Open, are three-time event winner Albert Costa of Spain, 2003 finalist Nicolas Massu of Chile and Austrian No 1 Juergen Melzer.

www.dailytimes.com
Old 06-12-2004, 07:56 AM   #30
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_girl
Here are some links that you might enjoy:
http://www.uol.com.ar/especiales/ext...90000/?h0m3=T6
Thanks for the link Jazz, luckily I had a friend of mine here to translate for me. It was good to see him looking relaxed and happy.

They had a poll on this link. Which one to vote and these were the choices. Where was number 5 all of the above.

Cuál es el punto fuerte de Gaudio?
Su talento
Su mentalidad
Su carisma
Su humildad

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1