In the Spotlight YOU! - 2013/2014 Edition - New questions! Post 59! - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #46
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In the Spotlight - You! 2009/ 2010 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
How about having 10 new questions?

1) When did you start watching tennis?

2) Who would be your favourite coach for your favourite player?

3) What's your favourite match-up in tennis?

4) Do you have any quirks (for example having to check 10 times whether you have really closed the door)?

5) What's your favorite smell?

6) When did you got your first PC? When have you been using the internet for the first time and do you remember which information you searched there first?

7) Which 5 internet sites do you visit regurlary?

8) Have you ever changed your opinion about a tennisplayer (either positive or negative)? If yes, what was the reason for it?

9) If you had lots of money to spend, which charity would you donate this money too and why?

10) What do you think is the meaning of life?
Hell, I'll give this a start.

1) The first tennis match I watched (consistantly) was when my uncle called me to tell me about this exciting new young spanish player, who was giving all sorts of hell to the wolrd. no.1, the match happened to the be the Miami Masters in 2005. After that match, regardless of the results, I really started loving the sport from a spectator point of view.

2) Favorite coach? Hmm, not too sure. Maybe Larry Stefanki, I always liked the way he managed to improve Gonzalez and Roddick significantly for a significant amount of time.

3) Coria vs. Nadal on clay and I also like Murray vs. Federer on HC. Im thinking of particular matches like the Rome 2005 final, or the TMC 2009 round robin match for the latter match.

4) I used to have many quircks, like making sure my sandals lined up before going to sleep, or making sure my closet door was well shut. Probably the worst habit I now have is smoking a cigarette each time I'm about to go to the bathroom.

5) My favorite smell would probably be wet grass in the morning, reminds me of simpler times. I also love the smell cut wood and whiskey.

6) Jeez, this is really making me go back in time..... I suppose the first PC I got was back in 96 or 97 and of course I started using the internet right away. As far as what was the first thing I searched for back then must have been information on some fancy car like a Ferrari or an Aston Martin. I've always gone through different periods of obsessions, can't really maintain for a long enought time a single subject to study and research for pleasure.

7) MTF, Facebook, Al Jazeera, Democracy Now! and Youtube. Sometimes I'll go to the BBC website or CNN International instead of Al Jazeera. I also go to Wikipedia, Rotten Tomatoes and another forum website called www.straightdope.com with relative frequency.

8) Nope, can't say that I have. Once I usually like a player I will continue to follow him, I do not hate any player nor never understood why people hate players.

9) I would probably like to start my own charity if I could. This way I'd make sure money is distributed the way I want it to be, instead of the way other organizations may choose to spend the money. Often giving the money to popular movements (that belong to no NGO or Government) is even better than donating to charity.

10) The meaning of life? Whatever one applies to it as "giving it a meaning". I suppose doing the things I like doing (reading, watching movies, politics, history, partying, learning) is what gives meaning to my life. The "bad moments" in life often do one of two things: they either serve the purpose of expirience or sometimes they can remind me the absence of meaning life can also have. Sorry, but I have no grand answer for this one.

Last edited by Pfloyd : 08-16-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Pfloyd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #47
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In the Spotlight - 2010 Edition - New Questions post #51!

I don't know the exact year but I remember seeing matches from German WTA players Bettina Bunge and Sylvia Hanika in the early 80ies (1984 probably) Later followed matches with Boris Becker and Michael Westphal.

A former great player is not necessary a good coach, but I always thought it would be interesting to see Roger working with Edberg or Kuerten.

Roger against David Nalbandian without a doubt.

4) Do you have any quirks (for example having to check 10 times whether you have really closed the door)?

I'm one of these people who really have to check several times whether I have closed the door. It did already happen to me that I run back to the house in order to have a look if I had indeed closed the door

I like the smell of just mown grass, also of grinded coffee-beans, even though I only occasionally drink coffee.

6) When did you got your first PC? When have you been using the internet for the first time and do you remember which information you searched there first?

I bought my first PC in October 2003. I had been online before already at work, using our public computers. Of course I searched for the first time for news about Roger and my favourite band a-ha

www.rogerfederer.com, www.youtube.com, www.a-ha.com, www.google.de - and of course MTF

8) Have you ever changed your opinion about a tennisplayer (either positive or negative)? If yes, what was the reason for it?

It doesn't help to read so much about the private life of Boris Becker, but on the other hand no matter what is written about him there nothing will ever take away what he has achieved on the court.

I also didn't really like it what Andre Agassi had to write in his book about Pete Sampras and how he behaved in the Haiti charity match earlier this year.

9) If you had lots of money to spend, which charity would you donate this money too and why?

I would split it for different charities - one which helps children, one for cancer research and I would also give something for the protection of animals.

To try to make the best out of each day and enjoy what life offers you. Also to be nice to others and tolerate them.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #48
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Great Idea!

Around 2001/2002 I think, used to follow the WTA back then and then gradually started to follow the ATP as well.

I really don't know, I think Darren Cahill might make a nice coach for Tomas, but I really dunno.

Well at the moment it has to be Berdych - Federer, but as a whole it's definitely the Nalbandian - Federer one.

I check a few times to make sure I log out of MSN when I go off my laptop so that no one else can see my conversations.

The smell of chocolate is nice.

I totally have no idea on Earth.

MTF
Hotmail
Xbox Forums
PS Forums
TF

Nadal, used to not mind the guy but with his asspicking, time wasting and cheating, it put me off completely.

CAFOD I think.

10) What do you think is the meaning of life?[/quote]

There is no meaning IMO.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:51 AM   #49
country flag cath777

cath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in the UK and watched Wimbledon from a young age, but I don't remember how young There was a time when I was really young that I thought grass tennis in the UK was the only tennis played all year

After having listed to Cahill on ESPN, he's definitely my pick.

If you'd asked me last week, I'd have said Federer vs Murray. Toronto was a let down, but I think because of the rain delays. It does depend on the tournament though. They are my two favourite players, but I'd now overwhelmingly support Murray in a Slam, given Federer has broken the record.

I used to, but not usually anymore. About once a year though, I have to turn around after I've left the house to double check I closed the garage door

Probably freshly cut wood, and cedar. Freshly baked bread also.

I think in 1995. I don't remember what I first looked up on the internet, but I think it might have been the TV show Friends

BBC, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter and the Weather Network

The one that springs most to mind is Andy Roddick. I used to find him really arrogant, but when I saw him play at the Toronto tournament one year, I was really turned around by his determination.

I volunteer for a hospice. That would be my first choice.

To enjoy yourself and to make a positive difference, however big or small.
cath777 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:05 AM   #50
country flag straitup

straitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm 2003ish? I didn't start obsessing about it until 2005 or so

I think Sam and John have good fits for coaches...

Like someone else said, Coria-Nadal on clay was golden. Also Nadal-Djokovic and Ferrer-Ferrero

Nothing that I can immediately think of

Wet grass is a good one. Lots of food cooked in the oven or on the stove smells good...garlic is a good one

I don't know what year nor do I remember what kind of computer it was...but it was in the guest room and I would use it a lot to search for cheats for video games . My mom limited my time there

MTF, Facebook, ESPN, my e-mail accounts, and I can't think of a good 5th

Agassi maybe a little since his book came out...though I guess it was something that could be seen coming, and I still like him. Certainly Soderling since he's started to play as well as he can, and I like his attitude as well. And Del Potro, the guy was boring to watch before but I like him now

Definitely a children's one

To always live in the present, not riding on the past, and to have a positive outlook and attitude on everything
straitup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #51
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
How about having 10 new questions?

Wimbledon 2001, actually. I remember rooting for Ivanisevic because of his name

Quote:
It is tempting to say Tio Toni and Nadal, but I'll talk about Roddick, my 2nd fave. I really think he needs to get back with Brad Gilbert.

Quote:
Federer-Nadal
Nalbandian vs. anyone
Nadal vs. insert hard hitter here
Fed-Djoko is always fun

Quote:
I don't think so

Quote:
Either:

A- Fresh can of tennis balls
B- Incredibly dank marijuana
C- A beautiful naked woman with very good smelling perfume

Quote:
Dang, this question delves deep

Sometime in elementary school I think.

Quote:
1. MTF
2. NFL.com
3. ESPN.com
4. ATP website
5. Gmail.com

Quote:
I was a Canas fan until he fixed a few matches. I understand why he did it, though.

Quote:
I would start my own charity for the entire country of Haiti to improve the whole island. I would appoint my mom as the president and chief overseer of it all.

Quote:
The meaning of life is to achieve happiness. That is what we all want. That is what we all are chasing. Happiness means different things to different people and thus the roads to happiness for each person may be different, but at the end of the day, everyone just wants to be happy.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #52
country flag ApproachShot

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and wish you all a fantastic new year!

I'll give this one a go.

1) What caused you to join MTF?

My love of tennis, along with the opportunity to debate and discuss some of the key topics in my favourite sport, of course! (Goes without saying that at times it can be difficult to sustain an intelligent debate on GM, but let's allow that one to pass for the time being). I had been visiting MTF a long time before I finally joined. I actually regret not having joined sooner as it seems like there is quite a nice community here...well, in these sections of the forum, anyway!

2) Which are your favorite tennis players and why do you like them?
  1. Federer: I could be here all day if I had to list all the reasons why. Suffice to say that his tennis to my eyes is poetry in motion. Plus, he seems to be a nice family guy, which I like.
  2. Nadal: The ultimate competitor. I really appreciate how Uncle Toni has instilled in him a sense of discipline and humility that is evident whether he is on the court or off it.
  3. Edberg: A perfect gentleman, with perfect volleys.
  4. Santoro: Such a unique player in many ways. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was very sad to see him retire.
  5. Agassi: His ability to return serve and change the direction of the rally from the baseline were second to none at the time. It was really his match against Sampras in the final of Wimbledon in 1999 is what really got me interested in tennis as a youngster. Talking of which, next in my list is...
  6. Sampras: Despite his achievements, he was very down to earth. I was very glad that he managed to retire on a high note.
  7. Laver: A legendary tennis player and seems like an all-round class act. He has so much respect for what the current top 2 in tennis are doing, unlike some others *cough* Wilander *cough*
  8. Henman: He'd get to a semi-final of a GS playing some beautiful tennis, raise your hopes by winning a set or two, and then proceed to lose. Still, I never stopped rooting for him. He's a great example for the kids too.
  9. Djokovic: Can't leave out the Joker of the pack...but that's not why he is on the list (Bahrami has to be the greatest entertainer in the sport). To me the Serb epitomises the modern game.
  10. Mirnyi: I can't even pin down why exactly it is that I like him to be honest, but I wish him every success as he teams up with Nestor for the upcoming season!

3) What are your 10 favorite songs?
  • Canto Della Terra - Andrea Bocelli
  • Vivo Per Lei - Andrea Bocelli / Hayley Westenra
  • Con Te Partiro - Andrea Bocelli
  • Nessun Dorma - Andrea Bocelli / Luciano Pavarotti
  • Romanza - Andrea Bocelli

...I think you can sense a pattern here

In fairness to the other artists I like though, here are my other 5:
  • The Last Rose of Summer - Celtic Woman / Hayley Westenra
  • Olympia Eternal Flame - Amici Forever
  • The Times they are A'Changing - Bob Dylan
  • Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell
  • My Heart Will Go On And On - Celine Dion

Before I finish, an honourable mention goes to:
  • Rylynn - Andy McKee (not sure that this qualifies as a song, but in my opinion it should! This man has the ability to make his guitar sing)

I also play a few musical instruments and am big fan of music from the Baroque / Classical era (especially Bach and Mozart). I'm not good enough to play to audiences or anything like that, but it's a nice pastime. That's not to say I don't like the modern stuff too. Actually, anything with a nice melody will do for me.

4) What is your philosophy of life in general?

I live by the idea that there is nothing more powerful one can achieve than by trying to unlock their own potential and by inspiring others to do the same, for as Thomas Edison famously said 'If we did all the things we were capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.' I also believe in trying to empower the voices of people whose opinions are often marginalised (the poor and the young for instance). The best way to do that in my view is education. Or as HG Wells put it rather more dramatically: 'Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe.'

5) What are your best and worst traits?

I hope to be viewed as someone who is honest, loyal and trustworty. I'll leave others to judge to what extent I've been able to stick true to these things.

My worst trait is that I am a perfectionist and pay too much attention to the minor details. I'd rather not start something at all than to do it badly, which unfortunately leads to some tasks not being done at all.

6) If you had to recommend a book(s) and a movie(s) to other people, which would they be?

Books:
  • The Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith: Ok, perhaps I would not recommend someone to read this, but certain sections are very insightful. The publication of this book pretty much marked the birth of Economics.
  • The Truth About Markets - John Kay: My recommended alternative to 'The Wealth of Nations'. No previous knowledge of economics is required to understand this book. A must read if you want to know how people, governments and nations do what they do.
  • The Republic - Plato: In my view the first holistic analysis about how one would try to construct a perfect society. Of course 'perfect' has to be contextualised within the age it was written in; it is astounding to see how differently society has evolved today.
  • Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck: It's beautiful in its simplicity but powerful in it the way it conveys life during the Great Depression.
  • The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown: I don't agree with the content or the way in which conjectures are presented as facts, but you have to appreciate that this is a work of literary genius.

Movies:
  • Life is Beautiful (1997): If you haven't watched this yet, where have you been? The ending could melt even a heart of stone.
  • Schindler's List (1993): This one and the one above go hand in hand.
  • Titanic (1997): What is it with my liking for sad films? Great film, though it goes without saying that it's not a perfect historical account of what actually happened on that fateful night in 1912.
  • The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (2003): Epic. Need I say more?

7) What would you have written in your epitaph?

Never given this a thought until now. Perhaps I'd ask them to leave it blank. I'd rather be buried in an unmarked grave to be honest.

8) Which other sports besides tennis are you a fan of?

I like all sports really - racquet sports, ball sports, athletics, motor racing, boxing / wrestling / martial arts, you name it!. I like to keep well informed about what is happening throughout the sporting world. If pressed though, besides tennis I would have to say that football and cricket are my favourite sports.

9) What countries would you like to visit and why?
  • China: I want to visit the rural areas. I would like to see what impact the government have on their lives and whether they still subscribe to the old Chinese philosophies and way of life.
  • Botswana: The shining example in Africa of how to make economic growth work. I'd really like to see how good governance has changed lives for the better.
  • Spain/Serbia/USA: To find out why they have so much darn success in tennis! I mean, if they can produce multiple players ranked in the top 100, then why can't Britain? I would have added France to the list, but I've been there a couple of times already.

10) If you had one piece of advice to give to others, what would it be?

I only have a one-liner by way of advice: life is a one-way journey so don't live it with any regrets.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 AM   #53
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In the Spotlight YOU! - 2010/2011 Edition - New Questions post #51!

Bump

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #54
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

My parents are big tennis fans and my mom was a great fan of McEnroe, so he was probably the first player I heard of though i was too little to watch him (that's why videos exist). I used to watch Lendl and Edberg, but I was not a tennis fanatic, just a casual fan, I was still too little. I became really invested in a player first time I saw Sergi Bruguera, probably because he was from my hometown and I could see him live, also the Sanchez Vicarios... I became disenchanted with tennis in the Sampras era, i really hate big servers. Then I became enamoured again with Djokovic. For some strange reason i was never a fan of Nadal (the obvious one) or Federer, but I became a big fan of Djokovic and fell in love with tennis again. As someone said earlier, he embodies the modern game like no one else. And I love baseliners.

At first I thought that Nole should sack Vajda and have another coach, but now I've come to the conclusion that Vajda is perfect for him, they have this father-son relationship which is helpful for Nole. I think he understands him better than anyone else.

Djokovic-Nadal, they always offer epic matches that are very close and emotional. I love this rivalry. I also like Fedal, specially that Wimbledon final and A02009.

Not really.

I actually hate smells, too many bad smells in the world, specially human smell (i prefer dogs smell). I wished I had no smell sense like my brother, he's so lucky. But I really like vainilla.

Ive never used PC, always Mac. I started using internet really early on. The first two forums I joined were the Madness forum (Uk band) and the International Mods Forum.

MTF (too often), tennis.com, Forty Deuce, tennis-x.com, youtube and go-mag.com (music)

I started disliking Roddick intensely after the USO incident with Djokovic. I'm ok with him now.

I already give a lot of my money to animal rights organizations and dog shelters.

Carpe Diem.
Also, a sentence I heard recently which made me think: "The best persons in our life we still have to meet them".

And the ones from before...

I was searching google for some info on Djokovic and i stumbled upon this one. I had been looking for a tennis forum for a while and thought that this was big enough for my liking.

As i said earlier... McEnroe (more his personality than his game though), Bruguera (he was the first guy i supported and my homie), Edberg (i loved his elegance), Nadal (I admire his will and determination), Federer (he's a lovely man and a wonderful player), Gasquet (he could be so much more, love his backhand)... but I've only been a real fan of Djokovic (i like everything about him -game, personality, looks) and I've warmed up a lot to Murray (idem).

Difficult, because I like hundreds but in no particular order...

Joy Division - Love will tear us apart
Leonard Cohen - Suzanne
The Smiths - Heaven knows I'm miserable now
David Bowie - Heroes
Pixies - Debaser
Lou Reed - perfect day
Pulp - Do you remember the first time?
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Red right hand
The Pogues - Fairytale of New York
Oasis - Live forever

Just be a good person. I live by the motto "Don't do anything you wouldn't want done to you". That extends to animals and the rest of living criatures in this world.

My best trait is that i always try to help people, whether they're close to me or not. I'm a good natured person with strong empathy for others. My bad traits... i don't have much patience, I'm always late, i suffer no fools and i'm somewhat negative when things are not going my way.

6) If you had to reccomend a book(s) and a movie(s) to other people, which would they be?
My favorite book is by this Irish author Emer Martin and it's called "Breakfast in Babylon". It made a big impact on me. Movies... i love musicals... west side story, hair, grease... and good scary old movies like the exorcist, poltergeist, the omen... and a little gem called "Ordinary people".

Nothing. I would not rather be buried.

Football (soccer), ice skating

South Africa, Tanzania, Argentina, Brazil... i've been to pretty much elsewhere (minus the asian/arab countries). My dream is to do a safari in Africa because I love animals and my favorite city yet to visit is Rio de Janeiro which I think is the most beautiful city in the world. I would like to visit the Greek Islands too.

Violence is useless and has no place in this world. Try to walk in someone else's shoes, i do that all the time, you get a different view of the world when you do that.

11) Which are your favorite quotes?
"I would never belong to a group that would accept someone like me as a member." - Groucho Marx

12) What is that you most love and hate?
Love: sun, beach, animals, nature, tennis, houses, travelling, internet, music, my family, my friends, my dogs...
Hate: cold, grey, violence, fools, cruelty to animals and other persons, bad commercial music, storms...

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic provisional nş2

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #55
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute

How about posting some new questions?

Anyone is welcome to do so (and answer them too)!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #56
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Well, here's my list.

Back as a wee kiddie in 1975, in London, my mom placed me in front of the telly to watch the Wimbledon final there, Arthur Ashe against Jimmy Connors.
I do not have many memories of that particular match, but I do very well remember all of the subsequent GS tournaments, Connors - Borg - McEnroe -Lendl, etc. following thereafter. The seed was planted, so to say.

Hmmm. Difficult. I guess this honour should go to Peter Carter, the guy that managed to make Federer from a rather rebellious racket-smashing kid into a MAN, especially after his horrible death in South Africa in 2002 in South Africa.

Fed-Nad, no surprise here. I admire their complete opposites of playing styles, and the Rome 2006 final will be one that will stick to my memory ever after, just to name just one of their many meetings.
Both of them being rather likeable people sure adds up to this, imho. Can't help it - I adore their mutual friendliness.

Quite a lot, actually, as painful as it is to admit for me. I admit I am a bit of a Control Freak - always and everywhere, any time, double-checking anything that comes along my way.
It hasn't served me badly so far, though.

Chanel #5.
The smells of Spring being a good second, the smells of La Palma (my cherished La Isla Bonita) being a good #3.

Shit, somewhere around 1986 or so. It was an Atari Mega. Oh wait. Perhaps an Atari 1042 ST.
The internet? Well as an associate researcher at the university's biochemical science program, it must have been around 1990 or so. Something like "netscape" it was called, I vaguely remember.
Which information? Damn. Can't remember. Must have been looking for a music site, something like Van Der Graaf Generator, Yes, Genesis, or such.

I am a regular at one of my country's most visited site for legal information most of all. Apart from that - MTF, Talk Tennis (guilty pleasures!), ProgArchives.com, and YouTube.

All the time. Reasons? Too many to even start to mention.
I always try to realize that any a player is just a human being trying to do his best. Yes I bash certain players at times, but I also always (try to) realize that that fellow is just trying to do his best, whatever shit happens, and it's bloody wrong to keep on bashing a player in adversative times. We, as fans, barely ever know what is going on with 'a player' in private life, and I think we should always give said player the benefit of the doubt, at least, refrain from making judgements, as we just do not know for sure what is going on.

People who know me well know that I often give money to the addicts, bums, and beggars out there on the streets, who appear friendly and talkative, most of the time.
I always remind myself that *I* could have been one of them, if I weren't as lucky as I have apparently turned out to be so far. Very well so.
I rather give money to folks out there on the streets, than to 'institutional charity organizations', as I suspect all too often that a lot of that charity money ends up in the direction's pockets - yes, it happens all too often.
I piss on that.

There is NO "meaning of life".
"All you can do is try to do well to others, the way you'd like to be treated yourself"

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 12-16-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #57
country flag Pfloyd

Default Re: In the Spotlight YOU! - 2011/2012 Edition - Questions Posts# 1 ,51!

New questions:

1) How do you like today's tennis scene compared to other eras?

2) What is the most interesting book you have read?

3) Are you crazy, in any way?

4) Do you think MTF's laws regarding "trolls" is adequate, or would you make them harsher or lighter?

5) Do you think that the world economic recession will end within the next 3 years?

6) Do you think everybody has a right to have a blog and say whatever they want?

7) Do you think the "top" tennis players ought to be so involved with advertisement. Why or why not?

8) What will be your new years resolution for 2013?

9) Is there any website that you find interesting, that you think other posters would like?

10) What question would you liked to be asked? (And provide an answer as well)
Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #58
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Well I started watching my parents play around 3 I believe. I didn't start watching tennis on TV until 8 or 9 when Sampras was starting to decline in his career.

I think all my faves have the right coach. Toni is an abuser, but without Toni, Rafa would never be Rafa.

Two baseliners that take the ball on the rise. Of most recent memory, Federer vs Agassi, Federer vs Davydenko, Federer vs Nalbandian, Nalbandian vs Agassi, Davydenko vs Nalbandian, Agassi vs Davydenko. I think these were all my favorite matchups. They don't necessarily hit the ball the hardest, but the game moves so fast on every surface since they stand on or inside the baseline most of the time. Great stuff.

I occasionally like great offensive tennis vs great defensive tennis, but it is tough to get a great match. Either the offensive player is on fire and the match is a blow out, or the offensive player just sprays errors all match.

I have a lot of quirks at work but too long to explain. Um, I have to make sure each of my joints that I can pop on my hands/fingers pops every half hour or so. Pretty addicted actually, lol..

This is a tough one. I actually sometimes love the smell of gasoline as it reminds me of living in the city of Damascus, Syria. But of course I love the smell of a good ramen shop or authentic sushi restaurant too. A clean house smell is also very good! Especially when I come home from a hard day's work.

Well my parents bought a Windows 95 PC when it came out so technically I guess I could consider it my first PC. We got dial-up as soon as we could too. I don't remember actually what I searched first.. I just remember playing a lot of online games like the first Diablo game.

wikipedia.org, menstennisforums.com, d2jsp.org, google.com, atptennis.com, facebook.com, youtube.com

My opinion of Rafa occasionally wavers.. While I do try to focus on just the tennis of every player, which is why I don't dislike any player out there, it does kind of make it tough to really root for Rafa sometimes as his on-court tactics (like the time between points issue, and the couple "timely" injury timeouts he has had in the past) certainly bother me especially since I'm a tennis player myself.. But I definitely don't hate Rafa. I can admit I was a bit harsh years ago towards Rafa when he would play too defensive for my taste sometimes, but now my hatred is just towards some of the retarded fans he has..

Honestly doesn't matter. I support virtually any noble charitable cause. What is unfair is to place one over the other honestly.

Impossible question, and one that in person I would spend hours talking with you for.. In short, while I do not really adhere to any organized religion despite being brought up Muslim and Shinto at the same time from my parents (not vigorously by them though, just mentioned here and there), the one quote I think applies best is "there will always be bigger fish in the lake." While certainly our universe is the largest thing we know, I doubt it is indeed the largest thing. Like infinity, I think things in this universe are never ending, there is always something bigger.. Scary and confusing, I know, I ponder about this shit all the time.

I joined actually for mainly the amateur tennis section. However, I realize how dead it was even back then, although not as much as it is today. Afterwards I realized most people were spewing theoretical and biased crap in GM so I decided to join them in their fun.

Honestly, I love all tennis pros. I respect pros so much especially since I used to practice with a few when I was training at a tennis academy. You have to respect all tennis players first of all. If you don't give the right respect for some players, it only makes your favorite players look worse.. Imagine if you think Rafa, Novak and Murray are clowns and you loved Roger the most. Isn't it embarrassing your favorite player is losing and only beating to "clowns"? Obviously it works both ways.. But really, for all those fucktards on MTF who don't respect tennis players, especially those Rafatards who hate Federer, go to a real tennis tournament and watch their matches. If you still have no respect, you should be ejected from this planet.

I can't list them I love a lot of different genres and songs, so it is too hard.

Well I have many ways that I try live my life by. The biggest thing is I try to live by is that I definitely do everything like it is the last thing I do, and give 110% effort at everything, even if it is something I don't like or something I am not good at.

My best traits I think are my looks , my passion for life and everything in general, being a huge hard worker, being very meticulous, my cleaniless and having a good brain (I think).
My worst traits are my explosive temper , my high expectations from others, my dislike of dissimilar people and being too competitive sometimes.

6) If you had to recommend a book(s) and a movie(s) to other people, which would they be?

"The Jungle" is a great book. "Awakenings" with De Niro and Williams is a great movie. Also "Shawshank Redemption" is a good one.

Hmm. Maybe "You'll thank me later."

Golf is really the only thing I really follow. I'm a fan of pretty much most sports, but after I was team captain of several club basketball teams when I was younger and played varsity soccer in high school, I heavily became against team sports period.

Well I have visited several countries in Europe, virtually all the Middle Eastern countries and I have gone to Japan many times, so perhaps South America is the one area I haven't really been to. Would love to visit Brazil and Argentina. There are a lot of sexy girls over there

The only obstacles in life are those that you place. I think that is the best piece of advice I can give. Sure, people have limitations but I think if you try hard enough there are always ways to surpass them.

11) Which are your favorite quotes?

There are always bigger fish in the pond.

12) What is that you most love and hate?

Playing and watching tennis, writing and recording music, my wife, my son, my family, my job (sometimes), my life and especially me
Hate? Rafatards. Lol. No but really, uh I think I just hate people who don't have an open mind. I drink alcohol, I smoke weed once in a while, I have sex with other girls (with my wife though, ) yet where is this "fucked up" life I'm supposed to have from doing such things.

1) How do you like today's tennis scene compared to other eras?

I like it. Sports are always evolving.. You have to just accept that. I'm sure people were complaining during other decades about how the sport and game was changing.. No different now. Either way, it makes it certainly interesting to watch players like Federer who have had to adapt several times in their careers and yet still find success.

2) What is the most interesting book you have read?

"The Jungle"

3) Are you crazy, in any way?

In bed, at parties, with girls (lots of them) and on the tennis court when I'm playing like shit, haha.

4) Do you think MTF's laws regarding "trolls" is adequate, or would you make them harsher or lighter?

Trolls are fine by the real definition of what a troll actually is....but there are people who absolutely do NOT respect other players or at least certain ones.. I wish you could punish posters who don't respect all players for their TENNIS. Yes, you may dislike players for their antics, their life off the court, their attitude, but it is their tennis everyone should respect even if it is for someone like crazy Dani..

5) Do you think that the world economic recession will end within the next 3 years?

I don't see why not. Rarely do they last this long. I'm not too worried. Of course, it is much easier to say that when I have a good job and no fear of getting laid off, but still even when I had no job during college, I wasn't too worried. I mean I got offered jobs by 5 Fortune 500 companies when I graduated from college, so I guess that is a good sign right?

6) Do you think everybody has a right to have a blog and say whatever they want?

Of course. The only problem are those people that do not have an open mind.. but I guess with freedom comes with those that are blind. It irks me so much when people who support differing political parties especially in the US complain that only their word in right. Well fucktard, you decided to live in a country that allows you to have your own judgement and opinion, just because you don't get yours chosen, doesn't mean you live in a communist country....if we only went by your opinion, then how is that a democracy that you praise when it is something that you stand up for hypocritically. Rage, I know, lol, people like that just really piss me off.

7) Do you think the "top" tennis players ought to be so involved with advertisement. Why or why not?

Ought to? As in they NEED to be used in advertisement? Hell no. Well, I guess sometimes to a certain degree.. I mean if it is like a photoshoot to promote the ATP tour, then I don't see why not. Of course too much is possible.

8) What will be your new years resolution for 2013?

Regain a super sculpted body like my tennis days, especially with my abs. Hopefully I can get my body back by March when it gets warm enough to swim and show my body off once more!

9) Is there any website that you find interesting, that you think other posters would like?

www.woot.com is a great website that sells limited deals for very good prices. However, be warned, not everything is always a good deal of course, and some that technically are a good deal aren't since they are made poorly or whatever... Just type in the item into amazon.com or something similar to check prices and reviews in order to make sure you are indeed getting a deal. woot.com is actually owned by amazon.com.