Which Hand? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
country flag jamfreddie

jamfreddie is on a distinguished road
Default Which Hand?

My son has started attending tennis coaching this summer and really enjoys playing.
The query I have is that although he plays Table Tennis left handed (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VeJK9FIC3OA) and looks to have real promise in the sport, he always plays tennis right handed. Is there anyone else out there who plays other sports with different hands. He also writes left handed.
He is only 5 though so he has time to change I suppose.
jamfreddie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Hand?

I am no expert on this since I've always played sports right handed and football right footed, but clearly your son has a massive talent for table tennis. Is he getting bored with it and that's why he is trying tennis now? Obviously there are massive benefits for a left hander in tennis, just study the history of Rafael Nadal to see how he has utilised this advantage despite not being a natural lefty.

I really can't give you any advice unfortunately, but I really do wish you and your son the best of luck, he clearly has a massive talent for racquet sports and I hope he can utilise it for a future career in tennis
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
country flag jamfreddie

He isn't bored of it, he just enjoys lots of sports. At the moment, he does Table Tennis, Tennis, Swimming and Football (Soccer) and is reasonably good at them all with TT standing out. One problem he has is that he has really strong muscle memory in his left arm for his forehand table tennis shot which can mean he finds it difficult to hit lower or higher balls. He hs also developed his right arm whilst throwng the ball back to me when practicing table tennis. It will be a big advantage to his TT if he does play tennis with his right hand as his tennis stroke will more than likely interfere with his TT stroke.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so i guess im kinda like your son i throw footballs/baseballs right handed but i kick with my left foot and shoot hoops with my left hand. But, When i play tennis, i serve/overhead right handed, and hit vollies, groundstrokes left handed. The best advice i can give you, is make sure he hits all shots with the same hand! Its damn near impossible for me to hit a volley and get lobbed and have to move to cover it and hit an overhead while switching hands.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamfreddie View Post
My son has started attending tennis coaching this summer and really enjoys playing.
The query I have is that although he plays Table Tennis left handed (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VeJK9FIC3OA) and looks to have real promise in the sport, he always plays tennis right handed. Is there anyone else out there who plays other sports with different hands. He also writes left handed.
He is only 5 though so he has time to change I suppose.
Your son is a pretty damn good player for his age, improve that backhand and you've got a hell of a player

Hard to say without seeing him play tennis, but he looks a natural left handed. If he's only just started playing tennis, I'd recommend him trying to play that left handed as well before he gets used to playing right handed. I know some people that play tennis right handed and sports like snooker left handed, but it's not the same similarities that tennis/table tennis/badminton have.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
country flag jamfreddie

I would love to get him to try tennis left handed, but I don't want to get to be a pushy tennis dad already. Maybe I could try to speak with his Tennis coach and ask what he thinks.

His TT backhand is quite a new development as he is only just tall enough to reach over the table on that side. It will be much better by Christmas when I video him next.

Last edited by jamfreddie : 09-30-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
country flag jamfreddie

His coach spoke to me yesterday out of the blue and asked me about which hand fred used (maybe he reads forums). Anyway, he had a go left handed and seemed fine with that hand too. I think he is going to try playing left handed for a while. I will just have to cope with it mucking up his TT swing I guess.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
country flag 10K Futures Qualifier
Athletic DNA

10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute

I am a right in tennis, but write left handed throw right handed shoot left handed.
10K Futures Qualifier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
country flag Venle

Venle has a reputation beyond reputeVenle has a reputation beyond reputeVenle has a reputation beyond reputeVenle has a reputation beyond reputeVenle has a reputation beyond reputeVenle has a reputation beyond reputeVenle has a reputation beyond reputeVenle has a reputation beyond reputeVenle has a reputation beyond reputeVenle has a reputation beyond reputeVenle has a reputation beyond repute

I both write and play tennis left-handed
Venle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
country flag jamfreddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glab311 View Post
I am a right in tennis, but write left handed throw right handed shoot left handed.
Interesting mix.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #11
country flag FootWork

FootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
I am no expert on this since I've always played sports right handed and football right footed, but clearly your son has a massive talent for table tennis. Is he getting bored with it and that's why he is trying tennis now? Obviously there are massive benefits for a left hander in tennis, just study the history of Rafael Nadal to see how he has utilised this advantage despite not being a natural lefty.

I really can't give you any advice unfortunately, but I really do wish you and your son the best of luck, he clearly has a massive talent for racquet sports and I hope he can utilise it for a future career in tennis
but this is precisely why nadal will never have a weapon for a serve.
Check out
www.topspinsports.com

Free Online Tennis Lessons!

YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE!
THEY ARE FREE!
FootWork is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:36 AM   #12
country flag prince yang

prince yang is on a distinguished road

I write with my left hand but I play all sports with my right hand and leg/foot. I'm guessing your son might grow out of it or he might stay the same. Just let him do whatever suits him best. I used to write with both hands as a child but now i'm just a pure lefty.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #13
country flag Nidhogg

Nidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootWork View Post
but this is precisely why nadal will never have a weapon for a serve.
I don't agree with you there. Would you say Carlos Moya's serve has never been a weapon?
Nidhogg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #14
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
I don't agree with you there. Would you say Carlos Moya's serve has never been a weapon?
Acasuso is another natural leftie.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #15
country flag Nidhogg

Nidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
Acasuso is another natural leftie.
Hear hear.
Nidhogg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote