wrist movement! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
country flag timtennis

timtennis is on a distinguished road
Default wrist movement!

hi! my name is tim and i just started playing tennis again after a 6 years break!
so i have a question. my coach tells me the wrist must not move through the movement of the forehand and the backhand.. but i watched a slow motion video of pros in youtube and i can see they hit the ball with their wrist laying back!! so what should i do?? plz help!! thank you in advance.
timtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wrist movement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtennis View Post
hi! my name is tim and i just started playing tennis again after a 6 years break!
so i have a question. my coach tells me the wrist must not move through the movement of the forehand and the backhand.. but i watched a slow motion video of pros in youtube and i can see they hit the ball with their wrist laying back!! so what should i do?? plz help!! thank you in advance.
Hmm, well you certainly use plenty of wrist action on the forehand in order to whip behind the ball and generate extra racquet head speed. Although you will see some clunky techniques which use mostly the arm. You need a more stable wrist for the backhand.

I've had a slight wrist injury for a while now and it mostly affected my forehand and serve as you'd expect, just can't get that same wrist snap. My backhand and volleys have been fine though.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:23 AM   #3
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

You don't pronate the wrist. You rotate the wrist. In fact you rotate the arm, the wrist rotates with it.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

I believe some players bend their wrists to get more spin or to hit low balls.

Watch Bruguera's forehand.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
You don't pronate the wrist. You rotate the wrist. In fact you rotate the arm, the wrist rotates with it.
That's a really good point, I hadn't thought about it like that. With that in mind, the only shots in which you consciously utilise wrist movement for are serves and overheads - it's impossible to keep the ball in otherwise.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
That's a really good point, I hadn't thought about it like that. With that in mind, the only shots in which you consciously utilise wrist movement for are serves and overheads - it's impossible to keep the ball in otherwise.
Exactly.

My coach that taught me like that. The wrist angle with your arm never changes when you're hitting a forehand, let's say. What changes is that you rotate the arm and it seems like you're using the wrist, but the angle hasn't changed. In fact, if you close the wrist to hit baseline shots you'll fuck up your wrist pretty soon.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote