Caroline Kennedy senate campaign: is that what US politics is all about? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Caroline Kennedy senate campaign: is that what US politics is all about?

I was watching CNN yesterday and I was a litle bit puzzled by what I heard about the Caroline Kennedy campaign of interest for Clinton's NY Senate post.

Basically, the argument was is she qualified or not?

Now pretty much all who had anything to say on the matter stated their position following a pattern: She has no experience, but she can sure raise a lot of money for a campaign, but she has no experience, but she can raise money...

This follows the Primaries and the Presidential election, where raising money was a huge factor, and where the least experienced candidate won both the fundraising race and the election race.

So is that what it takes to become a US politician? The ability to raise money to campaign?
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caroline Kennedy senate campaign: is that what US politics is all about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
I was watching CNN yesterday and I was a litle bit puzzled by what I heard about the Caroline Kennedy campaign of interest for Clinton's NY Senate post.

Basically, the argument was is she qualified or not?

Now pretty much all who had anything to say on the matter stated their position following a pattern: She has no experience, but she can sure raise a lot of money for a campaign, but she has no experience, but she can raise money...

This follows the Primaries and the Presidential election, where raising money was a huge factor, and where the least experienced candidate won both the fundraising race and the election race.

So is that what it takes to become a US politician? The ability to raise money to campaign?
Well name recognition and ability to fundraise are certainly big assets when a candidate has to be able to largely fund their own re-election campaigns.

They're not the only thing but yeah, experience, qualifications, all that good stuff, seem to take a bit of a back seat to the ability to win elections.

In this case though there's also a bit of a family dynasty thing going on - despite being supposedly a meritocracy, they are fond of creating political dynasties, and the Kennedys is one of the biggest.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caroline Kennedy senate campaign: is that what US politics is all about?

The biggest thing that Caroline has going for her is her last name, BUT she does have many qualities and characteristics of a good Senator, even if she does not have legislative experience. She has been involved in other types of public policy arenas through her foundation and charity work even if she has mostly stayed out of true politics. Sometimes the best legislators are the ones who bring real world experience 'from the field' instead of the ones who have just been working their way up from local planning commission to the county, state, and federal levels.

As for the ability to raise money being a key factor in getting someone with no experience elected to any office in the US? Yeah, I have two words for you: Arnold Schwarzenegger.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Strange as it may seem, Fran Drescher is probably more deserving of the job.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:48 AM   #5
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

What to say of Caroline Kennedy's decision to pursue the Senate seat which, presently, belongs to Hillary Clinton -- who just happens to be the very same woman whose presidential aspirations were shattered upon her opponent receiving the endorsement of Sen. Ted Kennedy (as well as a host of other family members whose enthusiasm for Sen. Obama proved so great that it in fact trumped the usual Kennedy family ritual consisting of statutory **** followed by mysterious midnight drownings).

It now seems as though, in typical Kennedy fashion, the family that brought us the fictitious world otherwise known as Camelot, now wishes to replace their most recent victim with one of their own, which leads to the question: Are the Kennedys more relevant than the Clintons ?

Will Caroline Kennedy be catapulted to an undeserved Senate seat -- or will her political ambitions sink like Mary Jo Kopechne ? This ought to be interesting.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:34 AM   #6
country flag Richard_from_Cal

Richard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Strange as it may seem, Fran Drescher is probably more deserving of the job.
Welll, you got me looking at her again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran_Drescher

Quote:
Politics

In 2008, Drescher supported Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton for the Democratic Party presidential nomination. She attended a Super Tuesday rally for Clinton. Drescher is also known to be considering a run for Congress in 2010. On December 9, 2008, she stated she would like to replace Clinton as US Senator from the state of New York. Caroline Kennedy, daughter of assassinated former President John F. Kennedy, is said to be interested and other names have included New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo. New York Governor David Paterson, a Democrat, will appoint someone for the position. .

…”A HOBO Travels to work,
A tramp travels and won't work
A bum neither travels or works”
-=-=-=-=-=-
…hobotraveler (link <--it's a site by hobos, for hobos...it's very slow)…

Nomad Backpackers <--link
Richard_from_Cal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:25 AM   #7
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

When a powerful labor leader picked up the phone this week, he was surprised to hear the voice of a top aide to New York City Mayor Bloomberg. The aide made it clear: Caroline Kennedy [lose the Schlossberg] is going to be senator, "so get on board now!"

Buttons are being pushed and strings pulled by the mayor, the NEW YORK TIMES plans to front on Thursday.

The involvement has helped immediately elevate and coordinate the debut of Kennedy, who lacked an experienced political staff of her own.

But now, it is setting off an intense backlash among Democrats.

Developing...
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's turning out to be quite entertaining.

Now she has a political team of advisors (from the major leagues):

Quote:
Josh Isay, a political consultant who founded the firm Knickerbocker SKD and has been an important strategist for Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg.
and

Quote:
John Del Cecato, a partner in David Axelrod’s consulting firm who followed Mr. Axelrod to the Obama campaign.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/17/us...tml?_r=1&fta=y

Plus all the members of or clan. But since this is a nomination, why the need to hire people? It is Patterson's call only, right? All these people campaining to one man?
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
country flag manuel84

manuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond repute

She campaigned vs. Hillary and now she wants her Senate seat? This raises an ethical question in my view.
manuel84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote