Clydey and Friends' Philosophical Paradise - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is Hinduism more or less rational than the major religions?

It's more rational. 1 3.70%
It's less rational. 3 11.11%
It is no more and no less rational than any other religion ou there. 12 44.44%
I don't know enough about it to give an educated opinion. 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 11-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #121
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 53,454
scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
That too. Maybe it's just a built-in fail-safe. Who knows.
Right.

And I've decided I don't care - it's Sunday, and I can find better things to do then do the whole homosexuality debate again - I got sucked in too far as it is
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #122
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,288
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
You cannot, with the technology we have, prove that it is. There is no overwhelming proof in either direction.
And what overwhelming proof is there that unicorns don't exist?
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #123
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,288
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Right.

And I've decided I don't care - it's Sunday, and I can find better things to do then do the whole homosexuality debate again - I got sucked in too far as it is
What we are debating is completely besides the point. This grew out of people misunderstanding what I meant.

Homosexuals are less likely to reproduce. That's all I said, yet people took it the wrong way and the discussion evolved into something else entirely.

I have a shitload to do for uni on Tuesday. I really don't want to be discussing this either, but I have to continually clarify my position.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #124
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,288
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
That too. Maybe it's just a built-in fail-safe. Who knows.
It may well be. However, what has been lost in all of this is what I originally said. I made no claim beyond one simple statement, until people started foaming at the mouth because they thought I was suggesting that homosexuals are somehow morally or biologically inferior.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #125
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 53,454
scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
And what overwhelming proof is there that unicorns don't exist?
Totally irrelevant aside.

But to answer your question.

The majority of the surface of the planet has been explored and no evidence of this creature has been found. It would be dumb to assert that the creature does not exist if the Earth had been 5% mapped but inevitably you reach a point where you would expect to find the evidence or you can conclude that it most likely doesn't exist. That's where we are with unicorns.

Since we are a long way from even getting close to understanding the human genome, it's way too soon to assert that there is no evidence. There's no evidence to this date. In time, scientists will reach a point where they know the genome much better and may well be able to say at that point that it's highly unlikely to be genetic. We are not at that time yet.

What you are doing is sitting in Cheadle and saying there are no unicorns because nobody has ever seen them, but nobody has ever been to Australia so how can they possibly know that?
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #126
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 53,454
scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
What we are debating is completely besides the point. This grew out of people misunderstanding what I meant.

Homosexuals are less likely to reproduce. That's all I said, yet people took it the wrong way and the discussion evolved into something else entirely.

I have a shitload to do for uni on Tuesday. I really don't want to be discussing this either, but I have to continually clarify my position.
Well I don't see why. Homosexuals are less likely to reproduce. I don't find that at all controversial. I know I'm less likely to reproduce, I have no intention of doing so at all. Even though from time to time I muse that it's unfair to the world to deny it my progeny, not to pass one some of the wonder that is me, but I concluded the best way to leave the world a legacy is to spend my time contributing to pointless debates on the internet in the hope that these writings will someday be discovered and I will be canonized posthumously
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #127
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
 
l_mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 41,183
l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

scoobs

Clydey, what is your argument/point?
l_mac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #128
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,288
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Totally irrelevant aside.

But to answer your question.

The majority of the surface of the planet has been explored and no evidence of this creature has been found. It would be dumb to assert that the creature does not exist if the Earth had been 5% mapped but inevitably you reach a point where you would expect to find the evidence or you can conclude that it most likely doesn't exist. That's where we are with unicorns.

Since we are a long way from even getting close to understanding the human genome, it's way too soon to assert that there is no evidence. There's no evidence to this date. In time, scientists will reach a point where they know the genome much better and may well be able to say at that point that it's highly unlikely to be genetic. We are not at that time yet.

What you are doing is sitting in Cheadle and saying there are no unicorns because nobody has ever seen them, but nobody has ever been to Australia so how can they possibly know that?
There's also nothing to suggest that homosexuality is genetic. We have discovered a great deal about genetics, heritable traits etc. The longer we go without discovering a "gay gene", the more likely it is that no such gene exists. Therefore, at this moment the evidence suggests that it is more likely that homosexuality is not genetic.

You do realise that not every species leaves behind traces of its existence? The reason the fossil record is incomplete is precisely because fossilization is extremely rare.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #129
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,288
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
scoobs

Clydey, what is your argument/point?
My point was that homosexuals are less likely to reproduce. That's all. I simply clarified what Prima Donna was trying to say. From there, people started foaming at the mouth because they thought I was suggesting that homosexuals are morally and biologically inferior.

This was despite me stating explicitly that I was making no such claim.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #130
country flag JolánGagó
Registered User
 
JolánGagó's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,803
JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
I really don't want to be discussing this either, but I have to continually clarify my position.
After repeating the same bullshit 193287736 times you can be sure your position is utterly clear. Would you now shut up and move on?
__________________

Last night, darling, I lost my underwear
Sak Noel
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #131
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,288
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Well I don't see why. Homosexuals are less likely to reproduce. I don't find that at all controversial. I know I'm less likely to reproduce, I have no intention of doing so at all. Even though from time to time I muse that it's unfair to the world to deny it my progeny, not to pass one some of the wonder that is me, but I concluded the best way to leave the world a legacy is to spend my time contributing to pointless debates on the internet in the hope that these writings will someday be discovered and I will be canonized posthumously
That's why this discussion is pointless. The only reason I created this thread was to clarify the simplicity of what I was saying. People seemingly couldn't grasp it and thought I was passing judgement on homosexuality. That was never the case.

I'm worried that I won't finish my uni work now. I'm incapable of walking away when my opinions are being misrepresented. It's my cross to bear.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #132
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 53,454
scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
There's also nothing to suggest that homosexuality is genetic. We have discovered a great deal about genetics, heritable traits etc. The longer we go without discovering a "gay gene", the more likely it is that no such gene exists. Therefore, at this moment the evidence suggests that it is more likely that homosexuality is not genetic.

You do realise that not every species leaves behind traces of its existence? The reason the fossil record is incomplete is precisely because fossilization is extremely rare.
We have discovered a great deal.

We also have an awful lot more that remains undiscovered - we are nowhere near the point where scientists are prepared to conclude that it isn't genetic, so I don't see why you are prepared to conclude that, except your own opinions on the matter predispose you to do so.

You said the Unicorn DOES not exist, not DID not exist. It may well have existed but no records of it have been found and never will. Perhaps, as you say, if it did exist, it never fossilized.

We can have a whole metaphysical debate on that. Can a creature that lived but left no evidence of having lived be considered to have existed?
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #133
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 53,454
scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
That's why this discussion is pointless. The only reason I created this thread was to clarify the simplicity of what I was saying. People seemingly couldn't grasp it and thought I was passing judgement on homosexuality. That was never the case.

I'm worried that I won't finish my uni work now. I'm incapable of walking away when my opinions are being misrepresented. It's my cross to bear.
Yeah that's something you'll need to get a grip on. Now is it a genetic trait or does it come from environmental factors, I wonder? I think it must be genetic, in the absence of any proof that it's environmental to this date
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #134
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,288
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolánGagó View Post
After repeating the same bullshit 193287736 times you can be sure your position is utterly clear. Would you know shut up and move on?
It obviously isn't clear, since people keep coming in and asking the same questions over and over.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #135
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,288
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
We have discovered a great deal.

We also have an awful lot more that remains undiscovered - we are nowhere near the point where scientists are prepared to conclude that it isn't genetic, so I don't see why you are prepared to conclude that, except your own opinions on the matter predispose you to do so.

You said the Unicorn DOES not exist, not DID not exist. It may well have existed but no records of it have been found and never will. Perhaps, as you say, if it did exist, it never fossilized.

We can have a whole metaphysical debate on that. Can a creature that lived but left no evidence of having lived be considered to have existed?
In the interest of keeping my sanity, I'm not going to answer each of those points. I'm just hoping someone will lock the thread. Such a pointless discussion, all resulting from peoples' inability to understand a simple statement.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios