Clydey and Friends' Philosophical Paradise - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is Hinduism more or less rational than the major religions?

It's more rational. 1 3.70%
It's less rational. 3 11.11%
It is no more and no less rational than any other religion ou there. 12 44.44%
I don't know enough about it to give an educated opinion. 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2008, 03:50 AM   #61
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoo Foo View Post
mmm... ok, so when you run out of arguments you just OK. You do know why people have wisdom teeth, don't you? If it weren't for fluoride toothpaste and dentists and all that, wisdom teeth would still come in very handy.
It has nothing to do with toothpaste. It has to do with the evolution of the skull.
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 03:53 AM   #62
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildegirl05 View Post
i'm seriously suggesting that i don't know and neither can you. and seriously suggesting that your argument has a lot of holes in it, unlike what you seem to think.

also, i have no desire to convince you of anything by bringing my personal choices into it. it is not something that can be resolved with anecdotal evidence.
Use your common sense.

It's pointless arguing with someone who adopts such extreme skepticism. Should I provide proof that the sun will rise tomorrow, too?

And when I asked the question, I was trying to illustrate a point. You are more likely to want children with a man you are committed to than a man who wants you to act as a surrogate.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:54 AM   #63
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know that the presence of adults who don't reproduce didn't have some evolutionary benefit to the species?
Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:56 AM   #64
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
It has nothing to do with toothpaste. It has to do with the evolution of the skull.
if we didn't brush our teeth, or get fillings at the dentist, our back molars would fall out by the time we were 18ish, and we would need more teeth to replace them and help us chew our food.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:57 AM   #65
country flag Snoo Foo

Quote:
You are more likely to want children with a man you are committed to than a man who wants you to act as a surrogate.

mmm, not if he paid me a shitload of $$$
Old 11-30-2008, 03:58 AM   #66
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
How do you know that the presence of adults who don't reproduce didn't have some evolutionary benefit to the species?
Because the basic aim of evolution is procreation. The mechanism of evolution doesn't think. It doesn't consider technology or morality. We are driven to reproduce so that the species can endure when we are gone.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:00 AM   #67
country flag wildegirl05
ˇHala Madrid!

wildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Use your common sense.

It's pointless arguing with someone who adopts such extreme skepticism. Should I provide proof that the sun will rise tomorrow, too?

And when I asked the question, I was trying to illustrate a point. You are more likely to want children with a man you are committed to than a man who wants you to act as a surrogate.
i am using my common sense, i suggest you use some logic. and not the logic that's limited to the slot a/tab b kind. logic that suggests that you don't know how sexuality plays out in different social constructs and that we really have no reliable data on whether sexuality is fluid or not and whether homosexuals are in primarily homosexual relationships and what their attitudes are about procreation.

sexuality and reproduction are not convincingly tied unless you're making some really basic, irrelevant argument that homosexual sex itself cannot lead to procreation. you're not accounting for anything beyond that simple fact. i'm suggesting you read up on the social construct of sexuality and decide for yourself.

like i said, my personal choices are just that. they're influenced by my particular socio-economic-gender-race-cultural-sexual background. to try to "prove" a point by relying on what you imagine will be my response is ludicrous.

and i'm done with this. like i said, i really SERIOUSLY have no desire to convince you of anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
What penalty? Messi dived.
wildegirl05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:00 AM   #68
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
if we didn't brush our teeth, or get fillings at the dentist, our back molars would fall out by the time we were 18ish, and we would need more teeth to replace them and help us chew our food.
No, we wouldn't. Wisdom teeth are redundant now.

I assume you think there's a reason we still have an appendix?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:03 AM   #69
country flag Snoo Foo

but sustaining the species isn't limited to conception. the next generation has to be fed and cared for and all that crap. if evolution doesn't take that into consideration, where did the worker bees come from?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:06 AM   #70
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

wisdom teeth are vestigial parts of our bodies, the evolution took out the need for them, but didn't take them out of our bodies even if those didn't fulfill an specific function

not all humans have them and their presence depends on ethnics and diet

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:10 AM   #71
country flag Snoo Foo

Quote:
No, we wouldn't. Wisdom teeth are redundant now.
ok so you're saying if our molars got rotten or broken or worn down and fell out before we hit adulthood, having some brand new ones wouldn't be helpful?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:10 AM   #72
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
but sustaining the species isn't limited to conception. the next generation has to be fed and cared for and all that crap. if evolution doesn't take that into consideration, where did the worker bees come from?
Evolution concerns the ability pass on our genes through reproduction. It "selects" for that. Evolution isn't an entity that thinks. Worker bees carry out necessary tasks. That is why they exist. They are not like wisdom teeth or the appendix. They have a very real purpose.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:11 AM   #73
country flag Snoo Foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFedex View Post
the evolution took out the need for them
no, technology took out the need for them.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #74
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

Clyde, can we now officially refer to you as the Christopher Hitchens of MTF ?
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:13 AM   #75
country flag Snoo Foo

Quote:
They have a very real purpose.
Exactamundo! They have a very real purpose, the continuation of the species, despite the fact that they can't reproduce.